Will Jose be sacked if he is going to do LVG 2015-16 and finish outside top 4?

KGBhoy

If this happens, he will deserve the sack. Will he be sacked is a different question.

Solver

Bump now that it's a possibility again.

After adding Pogba, Bailly, Ibrahimovic, Matic, Lukaku and Sanchez to a team that finished 5th and had Martial/Rashford coming through, to not finish top four in either season would definitely be sackable for me.

I'm still quite confident that he'll get top four though but if Chelsea win at OT in two weeks, all bets are off.
it's not likely by any stretch; guy's just signed an extension to his contract. Next season could be a worry if the trend continues- City would still have Guardiola, Spurs Pochettino, Liverpool Klopp and if Chelsea change to Enrique, Arsenal change to a better model then things could be a bit trick. For now no- he may yet easily get 2nd place

reddaz71

Lets analyse things at the end of the season instead of speculating,IF we finish outside top 4 then regardless of extension he has failed but lets wait and see!

paulscholes18

No, doubt the club would have gave him a new contract if there was a chance that they might sack him 4 months later

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't think he will. I still believe the people running the club are looking for stability in the manager's seat and that's been our goal since Fergie left. I think Mourinho is the first candidate that has made that a realistic prospect so we'll stick with him if he fails in one season.

Hitchez

Very hard to justify keeping him around if we finish outside top but I don't see us sacking him tbh. He'll be given some leeway imo

walkinhop

Being consistently out of top 4 is in its own way stability. If we are looking for that we should call Liverpool and ask them how to fail at the minor cup finals too. Why would we keep a manager who 2 years in a row can't stay in the top 4 is beyond me. Hope he doesn't fail to get CL football but he does, he should absolutely go.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If it all goes pear shaped like when he was at Chelsea, then he will be sacked. But missing out on top 4 one season, will not be a sackable offense. You have to understand, there are six teams going for these four spots. So every year two teams have to miss out.

Hughie77

The guys just signed new contract. The board would be mental to sack him. We won't finish out of top 4 any way have some faith lads and ladies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If we don't finish in the top 4 and don't win Champions League to guarantee CL football next season, Mourinho will step down himself I think.

I don't think there is any danger of us falling out of top 4 though.

Greck

If it all goes pear shaped like when he was at Chelsea, then he will be sacked. But missing out on top 4 one season, will not be a sackable offense. You have to understand, there are six teams going for these four spots. So every year two teams have to miss out.
Way to lower standards. It is absolutely a sackable offense in this context. No way we should be the fifth best team in England with the squad we have

L1nk

Money spent, talent in the squad, there's absolutely no excuse for going backwards and dropping out the Top 4. If we were smart we would be sounding out Tuchel or Jardim right about now, bring the attacking ethos back to this once great club.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Barring a pretty serious slide, at which point I think the situation would become untenable for Mourinho anyways, we won't miss out on top four.

But if we do? Of course he needs to go. That would mean we'd failed to position ourselves as one of the top four teams in the league after two full years of his guidance. Given our spending on transfers and wages, that would simply not suffice. It shouldn't even be a question.

minoo-utd

I'm really worry about us losing on top 4. Lose to Chelsea next game and we are fecked.

Classical Mechanic

The guys just signed new contract. The board would be mental to sack him. We won't finish out of top 4 any way have some faith lads and ladies.
The new contract is just him insuring his pay off and us keeping him happy. Mourinho has never lasted more than three seasons at a club and lives in a hotel whilst the rest of his family are in London. He isn't here for the long haul and he knows it. He won't stay any longer than four seasons max.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Way to lower standards. It is absolutely a sackable offense in this context. No way we should be the fifth best team in England with the squad we have
All the other teams in the top six have good squads as well. All spend lots of money. FFS Arsenal just signed one of the best strikers in the world. So every year two teams must miss out regardless of how good they are or what they spend. The days of Man Utd being number one, like they were under Ferguson are over. We have City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal competing against us.

Skills

Snitch
All the other teams in the top six have good squads as well. All spend lots of money. FFS Arsenal just signed one of the best strikers in the world. So every year two teams must miss out regardless of how good they are or what they spend. The days of Man Utd being number one, like they were under Ferguson are over. We have City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal competing against us.
Yeah it doesn't mean we should be fecking 5th and 6th though.

RedDevil@84

Depends on how we go 5th. If it is on GD or by a point or so, then it makes sense. If we have an Arsenal like season, then there is no real excuse.

Greck

You must love Jose more than you do the club if you're ready to make excuses for him missing the CL with our current squad. Others haven't spent as much as us but are maximising what they do have. We got him Sanchez midseason and you'd actually be okay with us missing out on top 4.

Jayus20

Supports
Liverpool
I think he should be if he can't get top 4 after all he's spent. I genuinely do think it's a possibility as well with you guys still having Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and City left to play. Could be quite a few lost points against those four whereas when you look at Spurs and Liverpool they only have two of the top 6 teams left to play. Personally think Chelsea are the most likely team to drop out but if you guys lose to them in a couple of weeks, could be some big trouble.

jackofalltrades

I'm really worry about us losing on top 4. Lose to Chelsea next game and we are fecked.
I think there are various things in our favour. We play them at OT just after their CL game against Barça, after playing us they've got City away and I think overall we have a better run-in, at least we have our most difficult games at home, except for City. Like us, they're not consistent and finishing above them is entirely in our hands. Finally, we've got a 3 point advantage plus GD, so 4 points if they win tonight.

If he is going to be sacked, the decision ought to be taken as swiftly as possible and a replacement settled. In that sense, if we do lose fourth spot, ( and no one seems to be taking seriously our chances of winning the CL ), maybe the sooner the better ? So the board should be discreetly making overtures to the possible manager within the next few weeks depending how things develop. We don't want to end up taking the least bad option, SAF's departure should have taught the club something.

Last edited:

Canagel

Of course he should go if we don't finish top 4. We've had so many chances to consolidate our 2nd place with teams below us dropping points left right and centre yet we keep the door open. It would be an almighty collapse to finish lower than 4th given we've been 1st or 2nd the whole season up until now. We aren't winning the CL either so yeah he should pay the price for it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You must love Jose more than you do the club if you're ready to make excuses for him missing the CL with our current squad. Others haven't spent as much as us but are maximising what they do have. We got him Sanchez midseason and you'd actually be okay with us missing out on top 4.
If we miss out on the top four by 15 points, then I would sack him. But not if we miss out by 3 points.

crazylegz

In a way I couldn't care if he got sacked or not, even if it happened an we finished out of the top 4 again and sacked mourinho, woodward would probably mess up yet another managerial appointment like he has 3 times in a row now in my opinion

Swift Football

We wont be out of top 4. We might not play sensational football, but we will manage to stay 2nd/3rd, or in top 4 bare minimum. Its not without reason that we are on 2nd position for almost all season. We are not as good as City, but we are better than the rest.
Champions league matches are coming, and us having big squad helps.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He would have been sacked last year had it not been for our Champions League qualification through the Europa League.

Moyes and LVG both shared the same fate, why would an underperforming Mourinho be treated any different?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We wont be out of top 4. We might not play sensational football, but we will manage to stay 2nd/3rd, or in top 4 bare minimum. Its not without reason that we are on 2nd position for almost all season. We are not as good as City, but we are better than the rest.
Champions league matches are coming, and us having big squad helps.
It will be squeaky bum time if Chelsea win tonight and then get a result against us in the next PL game.

The_Order

Jose really should have treated the Newcastle game like a Cup final - a win was imperative to give us a buffer between us and them, especially now with Liverpool only two points behind with us still having to play them.

But he keeps making the same mistakes again and again and refuses to budge - same rigid systems, with the same unremarkable players, forcing round pegs into square holes.

With Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and City left to play, I don't see us finishing top 4, and while the players have to cop some blame, Jose lack of foresight and fresh ideas should cost him the job and I hate that I just had to type that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He would have been sacked last year had it not been for our Champions League qualification through the Europa League.

Moyes and LVG both shared the same fate, why would an underperforming Mourinho be treated any different?
No he wouldn't. Moyes and Van Gaal were sacked because the board recognised that things weren't working. Players were unhappy and no doubt agents made that clear.

Like it or not, Mourinho has the respect of the board and holds respect in the football world as a top class manager that top players want to play for. To sack him would be stupid while he's still building a squad. It would be back to square one as you couldn't guarantee the manager coming in could work with our highest profile players.

People need to have a bit of patience. Rome wasn't build in a day.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Yes he will be sacked if we don't make the top 4. Qualifying for the UCL is the bare minimum.

It's (primarily) why Moyes and Van Gaal were sacked.

Wilt

No he wouldn't. Moyes and Van Gaal were sacked because the board recognised that things weren't working. Players were unhappy and no doubt agents made that clear.

Like it or not, Mourinho has the respect of the board and holds respect in the football world as a top class manager that top players want to play for. To sack him would be stupid while he's still building a squad. It would be back to square one as you couldn't guarantee the manager coming in could work with our highest profile players.

Yep, agree entirely

RedDevil@84

Absolutely this.

Revaulx

Of course he should go if we fail to qualify for the Champions League, which means top four or winning it :drool:

I’d be happy for him to stay if we finished just outside the top four but got to the final. That would be a sign of real progress.

C'est Moi Cantona

Of course this sounds right, and I agree to an extent, but at the back of your mind you have to worry about Jose's longevity at previous clubs, and style of play, and personally I'm just not sure he has it in him long term, so maybe at some point we are always going to have to go 'back to square one' to finally move forward for real.