Will Jose be sacked if he is going to do LVG 2015-16 and finish outside top 4?

Sing you a song

I think the managers of the big 6 will all be saying " thank god Jose is at United " because it takes the heat off them as the papers relentlessly take the easy option of slagging off United and Jose because they know that sells papers .
Let's get one thing straight ...on this occasion it is not Uniteds failure that leaves us " wallowing " in second place It is simply that City are having a truly exceptional season one that is very unlikely to be repeated .

In any of the last few season our current points total would have us top of the prem you can't blame Jose that city were in a stronger position in terms of quality players than Jose was when they took over , Jose has a much more difficult job to do .

As manager of United you always get more stick when things go wrong and less credit when things go well it's a fact of life . Add the games most famous and outspoken manager into the mix and the press have even more reason to snipe .The press without exception want United to fail ( there is no story in United winning .) They want Mourinho to fail and be sacked ( again there is no story in him winning ) .
Not a day goes by without him being attacked in the press for the failure of only winning 2 trophies in his 1 st year of dragging the club back to 2nd place in the lge of winning his champions lge group all with a team that has had horrendous injury problems so far this season .

Look at the other managers performance are they being constantly criticised and touted for the sack ?

Conte ,manager of the defending Champions and even further behind City than us ...should he not be sacked ?

Klop ,one again a roller coaster season with Liverpool clinging on to top 4 but constantly tripping themselves up and more likely to finish out of it than in it ...Sack ?

Wenger . Yet another season no nearer to the title and 3 of his best players allowed to go into the last 6 months of there contracts without renewing or cashing in so that if they do go Arsenal will get little or no money to be able to replace them adequately ... Another season of failure but less talk of sacking wenger than in previous years ( hope Arsene sends Jose a Thankyou card for taking the heat off him )

And finally that lovely , lovely man Poch the darling of the press never controversial says all the right things , polite , loves his mum and puppies and never wins a bloody thing even though he is blessed with the worlds hottest striker and a squad full of talent , at best they will finish 4th , when will constant trophy less seasons be finally seen as unacceptable ? Next manager of United do me a favour , prove you can win things first .

Drop the talk of sacking Jose show him he is appreciated and extend his contract now , those who want him out be careful what you wish for .

XH6

Bump now that it's a possibility again.

After adding Pogba, Bailly, Ibrahimovic, Matic, Lukaku and Sanchez to a team that finished 5th and had Martial/Rashford coming through, to not finish top four in either season would definitely be sackable for me.

I'm still quite confident that he'll get top four though but if Chelsea win at OT in two weeks, all bets are off.

kthanksbye

Bump now that it's looking more likely.

After adding Pogba, Bailly, Ibrahimovic, Matic, Lukaku and Sanchez to a team that finished 5th and had Martial/Rashford coming through, to not finish top four in either season would definitely be sackable for me.

I'm still quite confident that he'll get top four though but if Chelsea win at OT in two weeks, all bets are off.

Jeez, it not. Get a grip.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of course he gets sacked if he fails to qualify for CL. That's normal

Kostov

He should be sacked if he fails to finish in top 4. Anything bellow 2nd is a big failure, but top 4 should get him another year.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
In the current season, with the quality of teams around us, firing someone over not finishing in the top 4 (assuming it will be a tight race, with a few points in between) would be incredibly harsh. Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are all performing very well, though Chelsea have slid recently, so while United should be expected finish above them, having a single below par season does not justify a sacking.

Let's not compare this season, with so many teams playing at a high level, to LVG's last season when these same teams were under-par. Not finishing in the top 4 that season was poor because our competition had poor seasons, this season is the opposite. Jose is still a manager of high caliber so discarding him after one underpar season would put us right back to square one. A lot of players in our first 11 were signed by him and may not be preferred by another manager, that will mean more high price signings with some of those previous players being wasted on the sidelines; plus having to let those new players adjust. It'l just delay our recovery more and more.

That being said, we won't finish outside the top 4.

Sylar

I think we are second by default cos a lot of teams below are as inconsistent as we are.
The only team who are consistent are City hence why they keep winning. They have a good balance and play the same players / formation most of the time and get that consistency.

wolvored

In the current season, with the quality of teams around us, firing someone over not finishing in the top 4 (assuming it will be a tight race, with a few points in between) would be incredibly harsh. Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are all performing very well, though Chelsea have slid recently, so while United should be expected finish above them, having a single below par season does not justify a sacking.

Let's not compare this season, with so many teams playing at a high level, to LVG's last season when these same teams were under-par. Not finishing in the top 4 that season was poor because our competition had poor seasons, this season is the opposite. Jose is still a manager of high caliber so discarding him after one underpar season would put us right back to square one. A lot of players in our first 11 were signed by him and may not be preferred by another manager, that will mean more high price signings with some of those previous players being wasted on the sidelines; plus having to let those new players adjust. It'l just delay our recovery more and more.

That being said, we won't finish outside the top 4.
It wouldn't be a single below par season though it would be 4/5 on the trot. In fact it would be becoming the norm not to finish top 4.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It wouldn't be a single below par season though it would be 4/5 on the trot. In fact it would be becoming the norm not to finish top 4.
Last was on-par, the league certainly was poor but he gave up the race for the top 4 in pursuit of the Europa League and won it; plus the League Cup. In the end, he achieved the aim to qualify for the UCL, so he just got to expectations without going above them. Therefore it was a on-par season, not below.

And while he struggled in his last season at Chelsea, he won it the year before. So the streak isn't as long as you're suggesting.

wolvored

Last was on-par, the league certainly was poor but he gave up the race for the top 4 in pursuit of the Europa League and won it; plus the League Cup. In the end, he achieved the aim to qualify for the UCL, so he just got to expectations without going above them. Therefore it was a on-par season, not below.

And while he struggled in his last season at Chelsea, he won it the year before. So the streak isn't as long as you're suggesting.
He gave up the race for top 4 speaks volumes that it was a below par season. We should be looking at 4th as a bare minimum every season. The fact we were playing so poorly that we couldnt' even make top 4 so we give up on it is absolutely ridiculous for the manager to come out with

Hellboy

yes, hope the club wasn't stupid enough not to insert a clause if we miss out on top 4 this season

actually he should be sacked if we're 4th and 0 trophy with the bullshit we've been serving

Skills

Snitch
yes, hope the club wasn't stupid enough not to insert a clause if we miss out on top 4 this season

actually he should be sacked if we're 4th and 0 trophy with the bullshit we've been serving
I reckon that's one of the clauses they removed. Him and Mendes were bitching and wining constantly since September, and managed to get the club by its balls. They've shut up now, as they've both got the contract they wanted.

ericking

The sacking of Moyes and LVG, and the timing of Moyes sacking, proves that there must be something in the contract that allows the club to terminate the contract with a lesser pay-off.

I have always wondered if it was a top 4 finish, or more specifically CL qualification (given that CL qualification can happen without finishing top 4).

And at the end of the day, surely the points total would be fairer objective? This season it is not inconceivable that 75-80 points might be what the 5th placed team ends up with. That would have had you in a title fight the year Leicester won it.

JK-27

He wouldn't have signed a new contract if he, or the board, thought his job was insecure. Of course he won't be sacked.

However, since signing his contract the teams performances have dropped.

Since signing Sanchez the results have got worse.

I believe, and here's hoping, that our style of play is based on being effective in the CL.

mav_9me

He wouldn't have signed a new contract if he, or the board, thought his job was insecure. Of course he won't be sacked.

However, since signing his contract the teams performances have dropped.

Since signing Sanchez the results have got worse.
Agreed. The board can't be that fickle.

If we do finish 4th it will be luck because of Chelsea's turmoil.

DdeGoat

The evidence from the two previous sackings point in that direction. The first one was sacked when it became mathematically impossible to get a top 4 spot and the second one was sacked after he failed to finish in the top 4 and secure a CL spot for the next season.

Until evidence proves otherwise, I will continue to believe that it is the club policy to fire managers who don't secure a CL qualification for the next season and not risk two consecutive seasons being out of the CL & lose on the Adidas money.

Hamadovich86

Yes I think the club would sack him if that happens. I also think that this is unlikely to happen (that we miss out on CL qualification).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Was just about to make a same thread. Yes, 2 years in a row outside of top4 would be unacceptable after investments made.
Agreed.
And this is coming from someone who wants to see Jose remain for the next 10 years.
You can't spend all that money and finish outside the top 4. That's just crazy when you think about it.

Kapardin

I like Jose and I still believe he will be the one to guide us back to the top.

However, if he doesn't make top 4 this season when Liverpool and Spurs had slow starts, Arsenal being nowhere in sight and Chelsea being extremely vulnerable, despite strengthening with Sanchez in January, that is a terrible failure.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If he doesnt make top 4 sure, but we’l never know because United will finish in the top 4.

Rajma

Agreed.
And this is coming from someone who wants to see Jose remain for the next 10 years.
You can't spend all that money and finish outside the top 4. That's just crazy when you think about it.
Exactly, I like his character and is the manager I wanted most since Fergie decided to call it a day. Bottom line is there shouldn’t be any sentiments involved when evaluating his performance at the end of the season.

NW10

Supports
Arsenal
I think the managers of the big 6 will all be saying " thank god Jose is at United " because it takes the heat off them as the papers relentlessly take the easy option of slagging off United and Jose because they know that sells papers .
Let's get one thing straight ...on this occasion it is not Uniteds failure that leaves us " wallowing " in second place It is simply that City are having a truly exceptional season one that is very unlikely to be repeated .

In any of the last few season our current points total would have us top of the prem you can't blame Jose that city were in a stronger position in terms of quality players than Jose was when they took over , Jose has a much more difficult job to do .

As manager of United you always get more stick when things go wrong and less credit when things go well it's a fact of life . Add the games most famous and outspoken manager into the mix and the press have even more reason to snipe .The press without exception want United to fail ( there is no story in United winning .) They want Mourinho to fail and be sacked ( again there is no story in him winning ) .
Not a day goes by without him being attacked in the press for the failure of only winning 2 trophies in his 1 st year of dragging the club back to 2nd place in the lge of winning his champions lge group all with a team that has had horrendous injury problems so far this season .

Look at the other managers performance are they being constantly criticised and touted for the sack ?

Conte ,manager of the defending Champions and even further behind City than us ...should he not be sacked ?

Klop ,one again a roller coaster season with Liverpool clinging on to top 4 but constantly tripping themselves up and more likely to finish out of it than in it ...Sack ?

Wenger . Yet another season no nearer to the title and 3 of his best players allowed to go into the last 6 months of there contracts without renewing or cashing in so that if they do go Arsenal will get little or no money to be able to replace them adequately ... Another season of failure but less talk of sacking wenger than in previous years ( hope Arsene sends Jose a Thankyou card for taking the heat off him )

And finally that lovely , lovely man Poch the darling of the press never controversial says all the right things , polite , loves his mum and puppies and never wins a bloody thing even though he is blessed with the worlds hottest striker and a squad full of talent , at best they will finish 4th , when will constant trophy less seasons be finally seen as unacceptable ? Next manager of United do me a favour , prove you can win things first .

Drop the talk of sacking Jose show him he is appreciated and extend his contract now , those who want him out be careful what you wish for .
This is Manchester United, the standard is higher than all the clubs you have mentioned. I understand you can't win every year but surely you should be heading in that direction a little faster and smoothly?

Last edited by a moderator:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He just signed a new contract. I don't believe he would get sacked half a season later even if we don't get top 4.

unitedforeveral

it is clear we're shit at attacking. 3 Week ago, we still challanging for titles, now the title is gone and we fight for top 4 places, I wonder what's going to happen in next two months?

How can we prevent it from happening to us?
Sacking Mourinho is certainly not the answer to this. We definitely need a manager like Jose, with his name and caliber we can attract the best of players and eventually it will all come together. A lot has changed in the club since Mourinho has arrived and for most it has been a good journey. His tactics have always been a rigid one and people tend to think he's defensive but what i have understood for years of following him is that, he sticks to a formation at the club and tries to bring in experts to the positions in that formation. Since his arrival at United, he has tried 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 3-4-3 and some times even 4-4-2 but his stock formation has always been 4-3-3 at Chelsea and 4-2-3-1 in his second spell there, and 4-2-3-1 at United from the get go.

Although i admit he will not change this formation, i hope he changes the places these players can play in.

valencia-bailly-jones-shaw
herrera-matic
pogba
sanchez-lukaku-martial

THIS is one way of playing the best players in the best positions/ or

valencia-bailly-jones-shaw
matic
lingard-pogba
sanchez-lukaku-martial

THIS is a way we want them to play.

Although the tactics are comepletely different for either of those formations, the players can manage and do their best. This is one of the worries.

The second worry is we need to find players to fit in Jose's system, which requires 2-3 players to make it click.

Fosu-Mensah- Bailly- Lindelof- Shaw
Matic
(Vidal)-Pogba
(Bale)-Lukaku-Sanchez

Could be our team for the next season.

Certainly cannot sack Jose, just give him sometime because he always teaches players to attack but is totally sharp and gap less in defense. The team hasn't come together to his liking yet and when it does, we will get the title. NEXT YEAR IS OURS! We will own the city and the country.

RedDevil@84

No. Absolutely not. He has started a project. Things overall have been better than Moyes and LvG. There will be ups and downs in the path. We may win tough matches and lose easier ones. It is not like there are so many coaches who want to join us and are guaranteed success. I don't know what kind of attack some fans want to see.
He has been given a contract. Let us see how he goes about it. It is a different thing if the team is looking lost and players have lost interest/belief in the manager. Then we have a decision to make.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He shouldn't be sacked if we finish outside the top 4. 6 teams are challenging for 4 spots. It's not implausable that in a rough year, we'll be one of the unlucky 2. What's problematic is a continued run of not challenging for the title.

Kapardin

He shouldn't be sacked if we finish outside the top 4. 6 teams are challenging for 4 spots. It's not implausable that in a rough year, we'll be one of the unlucky 2. What's problematic is a continued run of not challenging for the title.
Arsenal are challenging?:confused:

This isn't a rough year. Bar City, we had a head start over the rest and Chelsea look out of sorts. However, I am a Jose fan and obviously don't want him sacked, just pointing out the obvious.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Dunno, but they shouldn't have given him a new contract until the end of the season.

If by the end of the season he's still failing to get the best out of Sanchez, Rom, Pogba - and there's someone else available who excites the board, I'd totally understand them deciding to move on.

Number1

He just signed a new contract. I don't believe he would get sacked half a season later even if we don't get top 4.
Only a 1 year extension though to be fair, doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, not often you see managers sign a 1 year extension along with pictures and smiles thinking it sends some kind of message out, extending his contract that length of time wasn't even news worthy.

I'm still on the fence with Jose Mourinho and United being a good fit together, negative football big games, footballs not great in general and Jose's United always feels like 1 step forward 1 game and 1 step back the next.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Arsenal are challenging?:confused:

This isn't a rough year. Bar City, we had a head start over the rest and Chelsea look out of sorts. However, I am a Jose fan and obviously don't want him sacked, just pointing out the obvious.
Fair enough about Arsenal. I see this season as a blip for them, and I think in future seasons the race for top 4 will be more intense.

This year? Despite our position, I don't think we're significantly better than the rest of the pack. Chelsea are going through a rut right now but 2 months ago everyone had them as locks for a top 4 position. Things are volatile and can change.

Last edited:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Only a 1 year extension though to be fair, doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, not often you see managers sign a 1 year extension along with pictures and smiles thinking it sends some kind of message out, extending his contract that length of time wasn't even news worthy.

I'm still on the fence with Jose Mourinho and United being a good fit together, negative football big games, footballs not great in general and Jose's United always feels like 1 step forward 1 game and 1 step back the next.
Extended by 2 years if you include the option for another year. Not much, but I still think he might not get sacked if he does finish outside top 4 this season. If that was a contingency this season for staying on, they could just have delayed the contract talks until summer.