Will Ole be a success? Poll

Will Ole be a success here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rista

Probably not. From the look of things, we know these players will let him down, like they let down previous managers. What we're counting on is Ole having a fantastic transfer window and getting fully backed by the board. How likely is that going to happen considering he has never done something like it before? I would like nothing more than to see him succeed but sadly more likely than not, it's not happening.

SteveW

Injuries at the time played a massive part in knocking the wind out of us, how many were sidelined at the time? Fair few wasn't it.
Yes. All muscle injuries too which typically happens when players are having to push harder than their fitness levels allow.

Litch

Sorry Sainsbury's aren't appointing their new CEO, the bloke who owns a successful corner shop, even if he was a good employee when he worked for them. Apple isnt appointing their chief engineer, the guy who mends screens on the high street. Utd shouldn't be employing a guy from the Norwegian league (equivalent to our Division 1) with zero experience of running a big club. Nice guy and knows the club but this isn't Roy of the Rovers, and the back story counts for nothing without the experience to apply your thinking and belief to what you are trying to achieve.

Would Ste Bruce or Mark Hughes have got the job? Both better qualified, experienced and managed in the PL. Bloody Mark was at City. Aren't either club Legends too, yet the idea sound stupid doesn't it but what's the difference?

Ole might be the right guy for the job, just this isn't his time.

SirAF

Ageist
It’s not up to him. He’ll be a success if Ed & co pull their finger out.

rpitchfo

Define success?

Is he likely to be able to compete in the league vs the team city have amassed will pepp is still in charge? Not likely.

Can we mount a challenge in the champions league? Not likely.

Can we have a crack at the domestic cups? Probably

Can we have a half decent transfer window that starts to address some of the underlying issues we have had for 5 or so years. God I hope so.

If you judge success by leagues and European trophies then I don’t think he will be successful. If you judge it by progress and the odd league cup And a fight for top 4 then he’s got a good chance.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
As an outsider I hope he's a success as it makes a great story and I loved him as a player,but I worry his appointment was an emotional decision rather than a carefully thought out football decision, he has little experience at managing at this level and though he has shown flashes of tactical intelligence, particularly the Arsenal FA Cup game he has also looked a bit out of his depth in other games. In the long run I think you'd have been better off with Poch, but like I said I really hope he works out, you never know!

shaky

Managers like Pep and Zidane didn't have "the required big-club experienced" when they took the reigns for the first time at Barca and Madrid, clubs they knew inside out. Obviously ancedotal evidence doesn't prove that Ole will do a similar job but, likewise, anecdotal evidence of other failed managers doesn't prove that he won't do a good job.

Sadly, the main difference is that Barca and Madrid are always focused on being the best football teams they can be. 2nd best isn't an option for them. We have owners who prioritise profits over success. The Glazers won't lose any sleep over the season we've had on the pitch. The money kept rolling in, so it was a good season for them. The footballing operation at Man Utd has been neglected for years and will continue to be until the fans make it known that we won't stand for it any more. It suits them perfectly that we just point the finger at manager after manager. Eventually we will stop doing that, and that's when Ed will finally be removed from the footballing side of things. The Glazers will remain untouchable. It's a big problem.

I'm going with no, but its dependent on whether we appoint a director of football and sort the club structure out.

He seems to me like a manager who can't adapt very well when things aren't working. We're unable to play the way he wants us to and he is struggling to find another setup for us. We're getting all kinds of lineups, tactics and subs that smell of someone throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Still, when we could still play the way he wanted us to earlier in the season we looked very, very good.

If we can get people around him to help him build the team he needs to play 'his' way every week i think he'll be alright. If he's expected to do it all himself i don't think he's up to it.

We have owners who prioritise profits over success. The Glazers won't lose any sleep over the season we've had on the pitch. The money kept rolling in, so it was a good season for them. The footballing operation at Man Utd has been neglected for years and will continue to be until the fans make it known that we won't stand for it any more. It suits them perfectly that we just point the finger at manager after manager. Eventually we will stop doing that, and that's when Ed will finally be removed from the footballing side of things. The Glazers will remain untouchable. It's a big problem.
Thankfully i think we can't be too far away from the commercial side starting to suffer. No Champions League again and a lot of those sponsorship deals we signed a few years ago will be up for renewal soon. Back then we could spin the Moyes era as a blip before we got back to the top. Nobody is buying that story now.

sugar_kane

There was a really astute article by Jonathan Wilson a few weeks back about how Solskjaer needs to be more than just “Not Mourinho”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...united-barcelona-pogba?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It also cites a couple of examples eg. Poch’s relationship with Bielsa and how he learnt to distance himself while also maintaining respect.

Ole needs to do this with Fergie and be his own man - you can tell from his answers in recent pressers he’s trying to do this but he needs to be doing it on the pitch, in the dressing room and on the training ground.

redshaw

Voted yes.

There is no consensus for success unless we say league title in 3-5 years.

Right now he has to stop the rot, get the fitness right, get the players out who don't want to be here or aren't up to the job and get players in who are.

Get us playing decent football and heading in the right path for top 4 and if he has a really good summer window getting into top 4. If he doesn't have the skills to take us beyond that and leaves us in a good position that will be a success in my book.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don’t think he will last all of next season, we will be sitting midtable come January 2020, he will either be sacked or walk away himself
I think this, too.
Hopefully, we are both wrong.

Masskh

I think asking such a question right after the worst result he got is not reasonable I suppose it was better to open it after the end of the season to get fair feedbacks and assessment.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The former managers of Everton, Barcelona, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Porto, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Chelsea have struggled here. Now we rest our hopes on the former manager of Cardiff City (a championship team) and Molde (would probably also play in the championship). We're a circus. If we weren't already, we are now. I have nothing against Ole but in the real world, if you're not good enough for the job you don't even get an interview. For some reason, we seemingly skipped the interview process and CV checking and gave him the keys. I have NO faith in the club.

Bestietom

Have faith in Ole. If he is given the right backing and allowed to bring in the players he wants along with getting rid of the ones he doesn't want then we will be Fine. This summer will tell us the story.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Well, there was once this young manager from Aberdeen who joined a massive club in freefall with a culture problem in the dressing room. He went on to be quite good.

In all seriousness, we've tried 2 big names, both of whom failed. The failure is a combination of issues, but they still failed.

If you look around, who else is there? - Poch is always mentioned, but Levy wouldn't let him go and he's working under zero pressure in a club where top 4 is seen as a massive achievement. How much longer will that continue? - even Spurs fans will start to expect silverware at some point, surely?

Who else is there with proven experience, a lack of ego, but is available and willing to come here?
I would have gone for Zidane. He was available.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Depends on the backing he gets from above.

Keefy18

Hard to say at this point.

Only way to answer this question right now is to go with gut instinct. Head over heart and that tells me he won't be.

He doesn't have the experience or know how in rebuilding a side. He doesn't seem to be able to turn around our misfortunes of late even and get a win much.

I know he inherited a mess and deserves time like all managers but if I'm honest I really don't see him going on to win us a league.

Josh 76

Here is a thought.
If Ole walked out at the end of the season and said 'I came to this club to help get them into top 4. That was my objective, as i have not achieved My ambtion, i feel this club needs a more experienced manager who can get this club back to the top. Hopefully my time will come again when I'm more experienced'.
I think he would become a even bigger legend.

shaky

The former managers of Everton, Barcelona, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Porto, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Chelsea have struggled here. Now we rest our hopes on the former manager of Cardiff City (a championship team) and Molde (would probably also play in the championship). We're a circus. If we weren't already, we are now. I have nothing against Ole but in the real world, if you're not good enough for the job you don't even get an interview. For some reason, we seemingly skipped the interview process and CV checking and gave him the keys. I have NO faith in the club.
He got a 3 month, on the job interview, which is more than most managers get. You complained about his lack of CV straight after pointing out that impressive CVs have been worthless for us recently?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Here is a thought.
If Ole walked out at the end of the season and said 'I came to this club to help get them into top 4. That was my objective, as i have not achieved My ambtion, i feel this club needs a more experienced manager who can get this club back to the top. Hopefully my time will come again when I'm more experienced'.
Fingers crossed!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Here is a thought.
He won't do it. He already said that he'll be a success here and that he's looking forward to preaseason.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Here is a thought.
He'll never get an opportunity like this again.

He won't do that.

Minimalist

It’s not all down to him but I believe he will be (relatively speaking).

My mind might change after next season obviously.

Taxx

No. I've lost all belief that things will get better for us.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No he will not, and he will get called a million names under the sun while the owners and board will be laughing their way to the bank. Ole could have been a success, just like a host of other managers could be a success, if it were not for our shambolic structure.

Champagne Football

The success of the transfer window will decide if he is a success or not.

Ngolo Kante, Sadio Mane, Dele Alli are examples of players Fergie would have gone all out for. Players at the right price who are ready to explode on a bigger stage. We'll be going back to that transfer strategy this summer.

Enigma_87

You know who
I was happy about him when he got the job, but the timing didn't make sense. We still are more likely to miss out on top 4 and lost every chance of silverware this season with Ole at helm.

Backing him up with 200m in the Summer and then sacking him mid December is so Woodward type of business, putting us in the same mess all over...

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
No.

Think giving him the job was a knee-jerk reaction to an incredible bounce, his track record as a manager beyond that doesn't show anything that he is the manager to take things forward.

He needs to be backed and when I say backed i'm not solely focusing on the transfers, in or out.
The players need to know that Ole's 'The boss'.If the players aren't willing to follow his and the coach's instructions and methods and dont show commitment playing for the club or for their own pride then you show them the door.
There's a fair few players who got the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase with our previous managers due to playing style and the setting of the toxic management environment but there's not going to be any hiding places for them now (one hopes).
Again,if they (the players) dont want to be here then you show them the door,whether they're the big name in the team or not.

Bocca9978

I voted no, but that’s got more to do with the running of the club and the crap views they seem to have on who we can sign.

I’m hoping many players leave, hungry ones come in and play for the manager.

vidic blood & sand

Yes he can be a success no problem, and I think he will, but it depends on how much authority he has with the board. We need to get Pogba and Matic out, and give Herrera an incentive to stay. He also needs to get rid of lukaku. If Ole can bring in the kind of hungry players he wants I'm sure he'll begin to turn it round. The lazy toothless culture in the dressing room needs smashing.