Will Ole be a success? Poll

Will Ole be a success here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManRed

Not a discussion thread but just something to visit in the future.

A simple yes or no with your reasons.

My answer: Yes

- He understands the club and philosophy
- His tactics have been quite good eg vs PSG and Barca (at home)

(if the mods can add a poll will be great)

Sterling Archer

He seems to want to bring back the spirit that made us successful. If he can do that alone, it will be a success for me well before we start thinking about trophies.

I think he can.

Denis79

No, Our incompetent board won't give him the proper backing or chance before he's sacked.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I’m afraid it’s up to the board. With backing, I’m confident Ole is the right man for the job. He’s a legend and a fecking winner.

Greck

Let's agree with topreds to have this be a ceasefire zone so candid opinions can be expressed.

Too early to know for sure but so far I'd pick no as an answer. The distinct lack of tactical sophistication means his last hope is to be a squad builder/master motivator type like Fergie. Then you see how he's seemingly enamored with talents like Rashford, Lingard and Jones because they're British and that doesn't feel one with confidence. There's also the small problem of 'fitness' being his answer to problems that are clearly technical and tactical

Last edited:

SER19

Solskjaer post match

I'm going to be successful here and there are players there that won't be part of that successful team, but there are many of them that do have it."

I think he can be, hope he will be. Has to start with a cull and a spell without success though, the quick fix will not work.

OleGunnar20

Yes.

I think Ed'll find it hard to get rid of him, given the fans affinity for Ole and his three failed attempts at appointing the right man thus far.

Hopefully this'll buy Ole considerable patience from above to rebuild the soul of this club, which I think he's capable of doing if given the resources & autonomy to do so.

Alot of it rests on Ed unfortunately, who I have less faith in. I do wonder how much (or little?) stock the glazers put in our sporting success in terms of Eds job stability.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not a discussion thread but just something to visit in the future.

A simple yes or no with your reasons.

My answer: Yes

- He understands the club and philosophy
- His tactics have been quite good eg vs PSG and Barca (at home)

(if the mods can add a poll will be great)
Our club and philosophy isnt a big secret. Even average fans knows what it is. Knowing something and knowing how to recreate it is another thing.

Most managers knows how to play tiki taka, the system itself isnt a secret recipe. But creating the same system with another team is virtually impossible without the right players.

thejtrain

No.

I want him to, but he hasn't got the experience, tactics, or methods to oversee such a transformation at a big club. Besides, there are other problems surrounding the club - the board, the players not wanting enough etc. That's way too much for any top manager to handle, let alone Ole.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yes.

Knowing the club is still the formula. I know we've been hurt due to past failures but just give him the summer. It will be different. This guy isn't Mourinho and he will get in players who care about this club.

And I say this as someone who thought Poch was the better choice.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes, provided that the club are willing to back him to make big decisions regarding the playing staff that previous managers haven't been able to make.
If not, no, he'll be like the managers that came before him, and the managers that will come after him.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I'm a yes. He'll be a very good manager, and I think his teams will entertain. He's analytical to begin with and he's got the balls to have the right people around him.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

Yes, I have more faith in Ole than anyone else at the club. Our players have been coddled by the club for far too long. Ed has been allowed numerous failures on the football side by the owners.

R'hllor

Depends, napalm needs to be used for our squad and what i have seen so far, he wont use it, there are examples.

SaintMuppet

No.....

He will be hamstrung by the same shite zombies that have had their rotten little paws in the pie these last few years.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No chance. I really don't think so.

First off, he was a legendary Utd player for me, and he will always be a Utd legend.

But I don't think he's actually even a PL level manager - an opinion backed up by the fact that literally no other PL team has been in for him since his showing at Cardiff which lead to their relegation.

Managers of Benitez' level have to step down from Real to Newcastle in order to get a job in the PL, while Solksjaer has basically stumbled into the manager's job at the biggest club in the country - it's surreal, and it's wrong in my opinion.

I firmly believe he's nowhere near the level of Howe, Pellegrini, Hasenhuttl, Nuno, Benitez, Rodgers etc, let alone anywhere near Pochettino, Klopp or Guardiola.

I don't think he'll be a success here, and I think it's deeply negligent and irresponsible of the board to even put him in the position.

Last edited:

Icemav

Solskjaer post match

I'm going to be successful here and there are players there that won't be part of that successful team, but there are many of them that do have it."

I think he can be, hope he will be. Has to start with a cull and a spell without success though, the quick fix will not work.
He looked heart broken at the presser after being in charge of such an utterly cowardly performance. He loves this club beyond what the players can imagine. He even touched the badge. The players might not get that now but I think they could be in for a hell of a shock. I also hope he doesn't tolerate the board either if they put commercial interests before the happiness of the fans and the club legacy.

I am looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Un4givableB

Incompetent penny-pinching broad appoint managerial lightweight.

Not a chance.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Yes. He knows what it means to put on that shirt, he what is expected, and he'll know that if a player doesn't have the right attitude - as good as he may be - he's out the door.

Does he need support? Of course he does. Everyone and their dog knows how poorly structured the club is and that has to change otherwise it won't matter how good a manager Ole is - nothing will materialise as it should.

If anything I see our recent form a good thing as it brings to light the reality of our squad and its' mentality; we'd have otherwise gone in to the summer window under a false sense of security and the board would have underestimated the scale of the job at hand. I loved it when Ole said blatantly that he will be successful but there are players who won't be part of that. He will have seen as the rest of us that many of these players will not cut it, we should never be outrun by a team let alone 8 fecking kilometres!

I've seen many starting to turn on Ole already, but end of the day tactics and such don't even come in to it when players aren't even bothered to break a sweat and I've seen this to be the case since the PSG game. Talent means feckal without work ethic and there's a distinct lack of it in our team. To note, much of it seemed to have started since contract negotiations began to surface - Sanchez' wages seems to have unsettled things and this situation will need to be arrested. If all we are to some of these feckers is a pound sterling sign, they can absolutely do one.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
No chance.

He has no business managing us to begin with. He has bluffed it so far. He is not experienced/good enough to oversee such a transformation in the club. No amount of nice words can cover that up.

He's a relegation level coach. He's got completely shown up by Nuno Espirito Santo twice, Javi Gracia 2 weeks ago, Pellegrini last week and Marco Silva yesterday. All in the last month. God help us vs Klopp & Guardiola.

I won't have a bad word against him when he inevitably leaves though, this is all on the useless board for being so irresponsible in the first place. Goodness knows why we couldn't just wait till the end of the season to make a decision instead.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Solskjaer post match

• Agree that there's no quick fix and that slow but steady and tangible progress has to be made.
  • Personally, I feel should focus on
    • Making us a fitter team that actively and aggressively presses high up the pitch (rather than half arsedly)and can take on a high octane challenge.
    • A team that stresses on technical excellence. Enough of the focus on options, grit and physicality. It's time to produce a team that genuinely believe technical brilliance is important. That can keep the ball in tight places. I haven't heard enough of this from Ole. His stress is always on mentality and physicality.
  • If he does the above, buys well and his team appears to have a tactical direction then he'll do fine.
  • Additionally I think we have to focus on peformances more and results less. The sole desire to win SOMEHOW has landed us up in a soup. We constantly obsess with the destination and the prize that awaits us there, rather than excellence in the details. Were happy with gritty /jammy wins even if there's no progress or direction to our football.

ErranMorad

I am not sure. Most of the new threads here are on us signing new players as a panacea for all our woes. They are either about how much we will spend or a director of football or our need for a ruthless approach or six/seven signings. Which though important is not the only way we are going to be successful.

I have been following the forum for a while and remember the Jose summer when we signed Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan & Bailly. People were chuffed and claimed that we signed the best player from each of the leagues in France, Italy, Germany & Spain. Still we finished the following season in 6th. Before that was the LVG transfer window when we got di Maria, Falcao & co., and people claimed the same. Then there was the summer with Schweinsteiger (Basitan fecking Schweinsteiger), Schneiderlin (a must have), Depay (the best youngster in Europe snatched under Liverpool's nose), Darmian (The next Gary). Still nothing much changed.

In the hindsight we can all claim that our transfer strategy has been bobbins, but how many people were not optimistic after these transfer windows?

The major issue from me is that the quality of our football has been deteriorating for a while, and I would not shy away from saying that it started going down in the last few years under Sir Alex. It has been quite a while since we played with a true identity. We have tried an hybrid approach catered to the opposition rather than imposing ourselves in games. When was the last time you can say a Manchester United team played the "United way"? When was the last time a United team looked well coached?

The point I am trying to make is the we can spend 300m this summer and we still won't see a significant improvement unless we can develop an identity. The players need a definite vision and direction which should come from the coaching staff. We need to put results aside for a while and work on developing our style of play. Rather than relying on individual brilliance we need to play brilliantly as a team. Press, create, defend & score as a team.

If Ole can do that than he would be successful. If he can't then we'll be here in a year or two and talking about the same issues again.

ErranMorad

• Agree that there's no quick fix and that slow but steady and tangible progress has to be made.
  • Personally, I feel should focus on
    • Making us a fitter team that actively and aggressively presses high up the pitch (rather than half arsedly)and can take on a high octane challenge.
    • A team that stresses on technical excellence. Enough of the focus on options, grit and physicality. It's time to produce a team that genuinely believe technical brilliance is important. That can keep the ball in tight places. I haven't heard enough of this from Ole. His stress is always on mentality and physicality.
  • If he does the above, buys well and his team appears to have a tactical direction then he'll do fine.
  • Additionally I think we have to focus on peformances more and results less. The sole desire to win SOMEHOW has landed us up in a soup. We constantly obsess with the destination and the prize that awaits us there, rather than excellence in the details. Were happy with gritty /jammy wins even if there's no progress or direction to our football.
Exactly. You are one of the very few posters who keeps stressing on this point. Win, lose or draw - the team's vision should be evident to those who are watching.

Kammy26

No.

I hear many fans saying give him a window to change things, but the truth is he’s going to be dealing with 90% of the players he is dealing with now. He will probably lose our best two in Pogba and De Gea.

Wether he has a window or not nothing is going to change and no way he brings in anymore then 3-4 players which is not enough to change anything. Even if we did somehow miraculously sign 6 players or more judging by our previous signings who's to say they will be successful.

I love ole as a player but knowing what the club used to be is not enough to be a successful united manager. Ole should have been caretaker and then gone back to molde which is his level. This stupid board got carried away with the media love in during our unbeaten run.

I don’t think he will last all of next season, we will be sitting midtable come January 2020, he will either be sacked or walk away himself

Eddy_JukeZ

I'll say no.

I don't think he has a clear identity or style for a team that he'll stick to and I don't think he's suited to this level.

Icemav

I'll say no.

I don't think he has a clear identity or style for a team that he'll stick to and I don't think he's suited to this level.
No manager is going to succeed at our expected (not current) level with a muppet like Woodward in charge and nepotistic vampires like the Glazers as owners. They might get lucky and appoint the next Ferguson (suppose that is their hope with Ole, twats) but when we stop dreaming we will realize that we wasted a decade of fan loyalty due to utter ineptitude and arrogance from the top brass.

Personally I hope Ole sticks it to the players, senior execs and owners. In that respect he has my complete backing.

AgentP

Yes. He knows the club inside out and wants his team to play a nice attacking brand of football. Of all the managers we appointed, he has the best chance to bring us long term success and stability.

redshaw

Depends on what you call success. My gut feeling is he'll find it very hard, there's a lot wrong with the club like Phelan knows.

I don't see Ole getting enough time to find the right players or help with finding them before they become 50-120 million pound hot properties who we then can't compete to buy. Some prospects won't see Ole and United as a place to join yet.

Ole probably has one transfer window to get players in we really need and hit the ground running. He'll also face issues with some big players going and having to accommodate shite the club's board have faith in or see them as just as good as what's out there.

I give him a small chance. The club won't have the patience if we're around 10th but who knows.

When Ole came in he seemed to know our best 11 straight away, some of his decisions on and off the pitch of late leave me wondering.

RD94

No one knows that yet.We will know his quality as a manager and if he is appropriate to be manager of a club of this size next season.

But for that to be done rightfully he needs to be backed by the board.

He needs to be ruthless this summer and show this players that no one is bigger than the club and if you dont perform to the level expected just pack your bags and go.

Reactions: SteveJ

el3mel

I don't think the players and Woodward will allow him to succeed. By the current rate I think he will be gone by the end of next season.

SouthPredators4

I am disappointed after such a good start. However, i think the good spell was an indirect way by the players to throw Mourinho under the bus. I do think Mourinho was equally culpable due to his purchases, toxic managenent and negative tactics. In recent weeks, the truth had emerged and shows our players simply do not possess the qualities in terms of footballing and character. As such, i will reserved my judgement of Ole after this summer.

My answer is "Yes". Ole will be a success and this is dependent on him being ruthless enough to oversee a complete clearout and rebuilding process. He will be backed financially and hopefully has his job made easier with a qualified DOF.

Regalia

No.

Doesn't possess the experience, nous or character to be a top-level manager, much less a Manchester United one. Hurts me to say this because he was very much one of my heroes growing up.
Also, our board and the bug-eyed dipshit Woody is screwing every little thing up.

I expect he will leave sometime next season and we will have to rebuild once again. Probably screw that up again too.

Kostov

I think no, not because of him but the moron in charge that is Woodward. I struggle to think how we are going to be successful with these owners and that incompetent twat.

Drifter

American
Not going to hold my breath. His CV reads won Tippeligaen twice and could not save Cardiff from relegation .It shows the ambition of the club that getting into the top four is good enough for them.