Will Ole get another PL job after this?

Will Ole get another PL managers job at some stage?

• Total voters

strandty

What you have to think, is if he was sacked and there was a Premier League job available...would he be a favourite instantly for any. He wouldn't even be considered for ANY Prem job even Norwich!

Schmeichel=God

No chance, he'll manage the Norway national team and that'll be him done with management.
Something like this.

My opinion.. he'll never manage in England again, won't want to manage anything not Norwegian anyway.. and will go into bouts of punditry. Fin

Criminal levels of underperformance to personnel, along with a disgraceful lack of a consistent system within which each player understands his role and where reliable chances can be created closer than 25, 30 yards out.

The players and their drive, mentality, resilience under pressure, leadership, and more... are seriously lacking...but there is no escaping that the lions share of blame lies affixed at Ole and the team's doorstep.

spiriticon

No. He has a track record of relegating a small team and huge inconsistency with a big team.

He doesn't fit anywhere in the PL. He'd maybe do alright in the Championship but even then I'm unsure.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No, I think almost every other club in the league have a manager with some semblance of a plan or tactical nous.

The likes of Hassenhutl and Dyche are managing the lowest spending consistent Premier League teams and they have a very clear methodology and approach that is streaks ahead of what Ole shows.

It would be a very brave team in that sort of position to give a job to someone who has shown little semblance of an idea for how the game should be played. Promoted teams will stick with whoever got them there and won’t risk it on someone like Ole.

TL: DR I think he is the worst manager, tactically, in the division, and in 2021, even the minnows of the league have extremely competent coaches and look upwards.

Cloud7

He's the literal definition of a chequebook manager. He needs to spend more than the teams around him to perform at their level. What is the appeal in a manager like him for some other PL club? The top 6 will never touch him. Making the team more than the sum of its whole, which is needed at the smaller clubs, is the opposite of what he does.

Max_United

He's the literal definition of a chequebook manager. He needs to spend more than the teams around him to perform at their level. What is the appeal in a manager like him for some other PL club? The top 6 will never touch him. Making the team more than the sum of its whole, which is needed at the smaller clubs, is the opposite of what he does.
Exactly. He outspent everyone in Norwegian League and even there he stagnated and stopped winning titles. The only situation where he did not have much more resources than most of his competition was Cardiff, and he resoundingly failed - after signing almost 20 players in a short period of time, almost all of whom were out of the club in a couple of years (and including 5 former United youth players - most of whom were also blatantly not good enough and let go soon after he left - another nepotism example).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Where do you stand on this?

personal opinion is that he will at some stage.
No club in the EPL would hire him.
He is a Championship level manager and I said this over a year ago. He has no idea about tactics and he relies on Carrick and McKenna, who are incompetent and have no track record of winning at the highest level.

Yes because I'm sure some stupid club like Newcastle or something will go "he managed united before so he can't be the worst thing".
I assure you, the owners of Newcastle understand what it takes to win. They aren't idiots and they don't care too much about the business side of things. They want to win, so will hire the best manager available....not some manager whose CV reads, "relegated Cardiff".

He is the worst manager in the EPL. No fan of any club in the EPL (including those in the relegation zone) would want to swap their manager, for Ole. None.

Steve 007

Just because it’s time for Ole to step aside doesn’t mean that he hasn’t done well until the start of this season which has been a disaster. Before this season he was ok to very good. He will get another job and he’ll learn from this, just like Moyes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just because it’s time for Ole to step aside doesn’t mean that he hasn’t done well until the start of this season which has been a disaster. Before this season he was ok to very good. He will get another job and he’ll learn from this, just like Moyes.
Moyes had a track record of keeping Everton in the top 6, in the EPL for a long time.
Ole's CV in the EPL (apart from MUFC), reads: relegated Cardiff and got sacked.
Moyes is a better manager than Ole. Absolutely no doubt about that - BUT I do dislike Moyes for taking the reigning EPL champs to 7th place.

fallengt

After spending half a billions and doing worse?
His best track record were two uninspiring europa final losses.. He'll get a job as Cone guy after this

Irwin99

2nd last season was impressive but people would probably look at the wider picture of no title challenge or trophy if it was a big club. A struggling club would look at his role with Cardiff.

Overall I think his experience with Cardiff and the fact that he has spent nearly 500 million here would be a bit of a red flag and set alarm bells ringing. The away record here is impressive, although it's kind of offset by the home record (and Covid maybe?) and the third place finish two seasons ago was pretty fortunate considering the points tally and our absolutely abysmal start before signing Bruno.

el3mel

This appointment has been a huge failure. Feck me, done well to get to 2nd 12 points away from the top and lose ton of semis and a final against a team who had never a trophy before ?

He's the manager who spent the most after SAF, was backed the most of them all and yet achieved the least. He has been a huge failure. I can't believe some actually think otherwise. Hell, even his signings like the 80m Maguire and 50m AWB have been criticized regularly here.

hobbers

Obviously not.

A bottom 8/relegation threatened club won't touch him. Zero chance. Not after the car crash at Cardiff.

A top club/CL ambition club won't touch him for obvious reasons. Zero chance.

Who does that leave? Leeds and Wolves?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He absolutely shouldn’t as he is an objectively horrible manager.

r1z3mu

17% of voters think that Ole will get another job as a manager in PL. That's probably the same people who think that Ole needs another year or two. This guy was given half a billion pounds and three years. Result? We are laughingstock of world of football.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Let’s be honest, Cardiff was a total mess before Ole took it on. Fergie warned him not too but he took it
The Bluebirds got worse under him Spoons - including into the next season.

I think the real teller in regard to the OP question is that after Cardiff no PL (or Championship) went in for him or were seriously linked to him…

Then at Utd he’s been given a squad that basically every manager in World football would view as a luxury and he can’t a tune out of it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
No chance.

For all the good he's done over the first couple of years, his tactical ineptitude and the fact the club have held on to him for long enough that its now blatant to the whole world will screw him over.

You also have to factor in that a lot of the good he has done is directly related to the fact he played and worked at the club for years so was able to build relationships and command a level of respect that just wont be there anywhere else.

At the end of the day no top or middle ranking club would take him, and the struggling teams don't want a manager who can't even recognise basic things like when one of their players isn't contributing or fit enough to do their job.

If the club had replaced him in the summer like they should have it would be a different story as his reputation would be in tact.

Mickson

I don't think he will get another PL job, it would be a big risk for say Norwich to hire him. If I was to decide, I wouldn't hire him at any club in PL but I can't really rule it out either. I think it's a risk a badly run club takes a shot at him because he used to manage Man United. A club like Sunderland used to be.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think clubs know he got the job because he's an ex player. He wouldn't gotten a PL job before he flopped here, so why would they take him now? There's at least a 100 managers with better credentials than Ole for a PL job.

He'd have to do well at a lower level and I can't see him being successful there or even taking most of those jobs. He'll probably dip into punditry or some nonsense position for a FA like Van Basten and other flopped managers do.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think he will get another PL job, it would be a big risk for say Norwich to hire him. If I was to decide, I wouldn't hire him at any club in PL but I can't really rule it out either. I think it's a risk a badly run club takes a shot at him because he used to manage Man United. A club like Sunderland used to be.
I just try to think of it from the perspective of if I was a club chairman. If my team is struggling do I really want a manager who plays his favourites even when they're injured or signs someone for £80m and then picks an out of form Anthony Martial over them.

If you find yourself needing a manager as a struggling side, you want someone who will get the basics right and give you a boost...and not waste your money. That's literally all the stuff Ole wouldn't do...and if you're not a struggling side you either aren't going to replace your manager or are going to replace them with someone better than Ole.

That's before you factor in that when you consider squad strength, he's currently quite probably the worst performing manager in Europe...and the longer the club hang on to him the longer that's there for everyone to see.

izec

No, not in the next 5-10 years anyway. He will have to do great somewhere else for a PL club to take a chance and hire him. Nobody is going to take him right now or if he goes back to Norway and does as previously. He needs to show for years that he has adapted and improved a lot. I doubt we will see it, therefore i say no.

He failed at Cardiff and eventually failed here too. So why hire him? He did well initially, but look at the players and funds he got. A top club wont touch him, as he cant win trophies. A mid or lower table club wont touch him, as the best they could hope for with him would be survival, and that is risky as well, see Cardiff. Most will go for an up and coming manager or for someone with credentials keeping a club safe from relegation. Ole is neither.

Denis79

I’m not necessarily talking immediately. Some people are saying he will NEVER get another job, which I think is silly. He will regroup somewhere and then probably go again when the right opportunity comes up
He will be offered a job in the PL, outside the top 6 but I don't believe he'll do well.

If this is the best he can do with our fantastic squad after spending 3 years and 500M to employ his vision of football I feel sorry for any lesser clubs taking him in. I'm not trying to be hateful but I honestly believe the Norwegian First League is his level.

Edit: Yeah I'm still fuming after todays display.

BlueHaze

What club would hire him? When he is this bad with so much talent in the team then what other club would want him? Managing a mid or low table club is an even bigger challenge for him, I mean he already did and it ended up in relegation.

I'll say absolutely no way but at the end of the day it's football and anything can happen.

NoPace

He's 48. He won't get a Prem job soon, but if he does get the Norway job as rumoured at some point, they have a very nice young team (Haaland, Sorloth, Odegaard, Normann has been Norwich' bright spot as a passing 6, Berge and Ajer are all under 25 and that looks like a spine that should get to Euros and 1-2 World Cups ). If he gets that job, a decent foreign job might follow after some success.

So, not anytime soon, but I'd hardly rule it out in 5-10 years.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Pretty sure they were still shambolic under him in Championship next season after he had a summer in which he signed ton of players.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26328068
Their owner Vincent Tan said he resisted advice to sack him after the relegation. He said that he gave him the chance to prove himself in the Championship because he believed in him, and even spent a fair bit too. They signed 10 more players that summer, to add to 7 signed in January.

But he was even worse there, and they were plummeting down the Championship also, (17th by September, 8 pts after 7 games), so he had no choice but to sack him.

“He disappointed me,” Tan told Sky Sports News. “Ole’s a nice guy, a good, famous footballer. Unfortunately it didn’t work out.

“Actually I supported him a lot. After relegation everybody wanted me to sack him. I decided to go on with him but it didn’t turn out well. Football results were against him, they weren’t in his favour.

“So he left. Mehmet spoke to him and he resigned – but I was quite disappointed with his statement after he left.

“I supported him so much but he gave a statement that (left me) so disappointed.

“He said we had a difference in philosophies. What philosophy? The philosophy for a football manager is to win matches, stay in the league, be promoted? What are the different philosophies you are talking about?

The Norwegian, 41, stepped down as manager, after losing more than half of his 30 matches in charge.

Under Solskjaer they gathered only 20 points from a possible 75, as well as conceding three or more goals in eight of 25 league games.

Furthermore, his policy of constantly changing his team - he named an unchanged side just once - infuriated fans and players alike.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Fjortoft said a couple of weeks ago that Ole will be fired soon and when that happens he will do media work back in Norway and is essentially seen as the next Norway national team coach in waiting.

devlinadl

Depends if are any other premier league clubs where he has won a trophy….

Cloud7

Here's a flip to this question. Imagine you're a fan of say Crystal Palace or Southampton. Your manager gets fired, and you get linked to Ole as your manager. Do you get excited or think it's going to go well?

If his tenure at United does end soon, as expected, I'm sure Ole will get other job offers in England and abroad.

Despite the bile spewed about him on Redcafe he has 3 years experience at a very high level of football.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ole is certainly not the worst manager in the world, he's just not up to the United job. If Lankie Frampard gets the Norwich gig, I don't see any reason why Solskjaer won't get another gig soon either. The managerial merry-go-round is full of many undeserving candidates so no reason why Solskjaer can't get on board.

MrBest

Ole is a rubbish manager with no coaching ability. Any PL team would be crazy to give him a chance, even managers at lower teams have managers woth clear strategies to play. In 3 years i think Ole has culturally reset the club but in terms of actual football, i cannot say what his style was/is. I'd seriously question if people think he actually had a style. Gettimg the ball to wingers of bruno and telling them to shoot is not a tactic, that's called hope. We have maxed out our luck, that's why Ole nearing the end here.

BorisManUtd

If we parted ways with Ole after EL final his reputation would be better than it is now. Our team would look better as well. To some extent, win-win situation. This way, 6 months later, there are no winners and that 0-5 loss will haunt Ole in future.