Will Ronaldo ask to leave in the summer?

CM

And we played like a team before? Why did we get rid of Ole then? Is Ronaldo responsible for that too?
We were playing more like a team prior to his arrival, yes. It wasn't perfect but there was more synergy between the players.

Ronaldo isn't the only problem but he has certainly contributed to it. Our forwards play like strangers.

alexthelion

And who was very much involved in the decision of Ronaldo to come back to United? I keep getting stick for mentioning this, but people need to accept that having a back-seat driver is never good - that phonecall in the summer de-railed Ole's rebuild and his comments (Sir Alex's if anyone is still wondering) after the Everton game - basically stating that Ronaldo should start and not be an impact sub, were totally out-of-order. It wouldn't happen at any other top club, to keep an ex-manager as a club ambassador is one thing, but to allow him to influence the way the club is running isn't right.
Well said.

Redfrog

As much as I love Ronaldo I think we should move on from the past.
What’s the point having an old legend when we are a club in perdition ?
It’s looking like a sentimental decision, made for the memories and money associated with it rather then future success.

AFC NimbleThumb

And who was very much involved in the decision of Ronaldo to come back to United? I keep getting stick for mentioning this, but people need to accept that having a back-seat driver is never good - that phonecall in the summer de-railed Ole's rebuild and his comments (Sir Alex's if anyone is still wondering) after the Everton game - basically stating that Ronaldo should start and not be an impact sub, were totally out-of-order. It wouldn't happen at any other top club, to keep an ex-manager as a club ambassador is one thing, but to allow him to influence the way the club is running isn't right.
OgS was only in the job, & for as long because of SAF. The comments after the Everton game were the culmination of the issue.

Whilst being told you don’t drop Ronaldo is a problem, being given a 20+ goal a season striker when your number 9 is oft-injured Cavani shouldn’t be, the fact SAF was often seen driving into Carrington after a loss etc. shows OgS was never his own man. A better team integrates greatness, I know I sound like a Ronaldo apologist but I don’t believe he alone is the problem. The club is like the emperor in his ‘new clothes’, it took only a few months to show there was nothing to all that promise. Ronaldo was sold as the final piece in the jigsaw when we didn’t have the other pieces.

He should be sold/leave as it’s not the project we envisioned.

Nicolarra90

Who said the dressing room is broken and why do you think he's responsible for that?
Remember the juve video with him sulking in the dressing room?

That's probably what's happening in every game this season.

That's not a winning mentality and a positive attitude, that's a toxic behavior, negative leadership and only causes division in the group.

Juventus broke with him, and to recover is not as easy as isolating the bad apple. The group must regain the trust and that takes time which in football means seasons and change of personel.

When he came I thought he'd be a positive influence on us but I see the opposite. Just look at us going out the tunnel, half the players looking down, shot of confidence.

He may not say it but all the faces, head shakes, shoulder shrugs, are enough communication, all of them coming from your idol, which he probably is for most of our squad... Of course you'd say I'm not good enough and it all goes south from there.

Footballistically he's been ok, good in CL, and bad in PL but not as good as moulding our squad on him.

I thought he'd be a different kind of leader, but he's just been a goat Martial.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah I think he needs to, it’ll be a mutual thing. I think Ralf will probably get the job full time and he’ll want to revamp most of the side, starting with the 500k a week striker that doesn’t move.

Infra-red

Yes, probably. I doubt he'll be the only one if the season pans out as expected.

We're headed for a significant rebuild after three years of wasting time under Solskjaer.

Wilt

Definitely think he’ll want away if Utd don’t qualify for the CL

Water Melon

Definitely think he’ll want away if Utd don’t qualify for the CL
It is likely we won't qualify, and I would not mind to see Cristiano leave the club. To me he is well past his best and the Prem is too much for him.

sugar_kane

I fecking hope so, our descent into playing complete shite has perfectly coincided with his return.

We clearly have a very unhappy dressing room at the moment, and his petulance will not be helping at all and in fact may be one of the root causes.

Lentwood

This is another example of how this club has everything the wrong way around, fans included.

In SAFs days, the question would have been "will Ronaldo be told to leave in the Summer?". We decided when a player left, not this pathetic pandering to players to keep them happy.

Eddy_JukeZ

His best days are behind him.

We really love nostalgia and romanticism as a club.

It was nice at the start, but it's worn off now.

captaincantona

Cant believe how quickly the caf has turned on Ronaldo
It’s not surprising...his performances...his 90 minutes every game ...on a whole...have been entirely average. He has produced about 10 moments of absolute brilliance that nostalgically provide joy to the fan base but on an objective review of his performances outside of those moments it is very obvious he is not playing well, brings very little to each game and is not in the team based on performance levels alone.

the only reasonS not to turn on him and bench him are a) lack of a decent replacement b) nostalgia and c) because we just hope he has a moment of brilliance. None are good reasons for a club the stature of Man Utd.

I heavily criticised the signing and his early performances but tbh he has shown a lot more guts and fight in the last few games so that at the very least deserves credit. But still not enough for a Utd forward.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Where is gonna go if he leaves United?

There are only 4 clubs that can afford his massive wages now.

Bayern Munich? NO WAY, Bayern is probably the most anti-Ronaldo kind of signings in top Football.
Karlz Rummenigge and Oliver Khan are way too smart to sign 37 years Ronaldo just to sell more Bayern t-shirts in Japan,China,Australia,Saudi Arabia,Malaysia,etc while disturbing the harmony/peace of their squad.

PSG? NO WAY, at least while Messi and Neymar are there, i have a vibe those two wouldn't be happy with Ronaldo on the team, too many egos.

Real Madrid? NO, he left Madrid in bad terms with Florentino Perez.Not going back for sure.

Manchester City? I can't see Pep going for 37 years old Ronaldo, who doesn't press and can't do anything outside of the penalty box.
I'm sure Pep would rather have Vlahović or Haaland over ancient Ronaldo.

He wants CL football, but the rest of CL clubs can't afford his massive wages, i think he has no other option than Sporting CP, but he would have to resign a lot of money.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

I'm grateful to him for bailing us out of the CL group stage but he really has started to look like a 36 year old in the last couple of games. It's madness for a 36 year old to be considered undroppable.

sugar_kane

The annoying thing is if we rotated him, or used him as an impact squad he would be an incredible asset to have around.

Unfortunately due to who he is, this is unlikely to ever happen. I made the point in another thread, but it's a worrying sign that Rangnick gave him the captaincy yesterday.

If I'm being an optimist, I hope this was mainly a move to get him onside or even a move similar to what Mourinho did with Rooney ie. put him in the spotlight, and make it clear he isn't up to the task (with Rooney it was playing him as our main centre forward, from memory)

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
If he doesn’t want the fight then get him out. He under a great team that create chances would score a shed load. Bet he is gutted he didn’t go to city cause he would have scored 40 goals quite easily. But ultimately he is 37 nearly 38 he’s very short term like it or not in 2 years he’ll be 40 so we have to start planning without him, how soon is down to him. Reality is we’ll be without him soon anyway.

Mainoldo

He’s better than anything we’ve currently got thats for certain..so means a lot …
No he’s not. He’s just scoring the goal someone else was last year. This point needs to stop. It wasn’t so long ago we said the same about Bruno. So now we have Ronaldo’s goals and Bruno’s goals. Shock horror it’s not going to be 20 goals for Ronaldo and 20 goals for Bruno.

The probably which was the same problem last season is we cannot carry footballers at this level we are currently at and trying to reach.

Firestorm

No he’s not. He’s just scoring the goal someone else was last year. This point needs to stop. It wasn’t so long ago we said the same about Bruno. So now we have Ronaldo’s goals and Bruno’s goals. Shock horror it’s not going to be 20 goals for Ronaldo and 20 goals for Bruno.

The probably which was the same problem last season is we cannot carry footballers at this level we are currently at and trying to reach.
Total nonsense …you seriously saying Bruno is in the same league as Ronaldo ?! He’s the only winner in this squad of spoilt underachievers. He’d be top scorer in the Premiership if he had a half decent team behind him. I bet he wishes he’d gone to City now.

Mainoldo

Total nonsense …you seriously saying Bruno is in the same league as Ronaldo ?! He’s the only winner in this squad of spoilt underachievers. He’d be top scorer in the Premiership if he had a half decent team behind him. I bet he wishes he’d gone to City now.
You said it yourself. Top scorer in a half decent team. He is currently but I get your point you mean in a team that is already winning. We are not that and therefore didn’t need him to detour us away from building that team.

Don’t be simple minded. He played for Juventus and they was nowhere near Champions league winners because the team was built to aid a guy who wasn’t the best player in world football anymore. Just like Barca failed with Messi.

We didn’t need him based on what we had. There’s still a gaping whole in the middle which needs fixing and we keep trying to buy superstar strikers like we are managed by SAF. It is not going to work.

SER19

Would be great if we absolutely fluked a cl di matteo style and he just quit and went to sporting if Portugal make world Cup

Irwin99

I guess it will be test of how much he cares about the club as to whether he hands in a transfer request when the club inevitably fail to reach Europe next season: "I'm the great Ronaldo and i'm not in the champions league? And Messi is? Feck this!"

Ace

If he doesn’t want the fight then get him out. He under a great team that create chances would score a shed load. Bet he is gutted he didn’t go to city cause he would have scored 40 goals quite easily. But ultimately he is 37 nearly 38 he’s very short term like it or not in 2 years he’ll be 40 so we have to start planning without him, how soon is down to him. Reality is we’ll be without him soon anyway.
^He's 36 nearly 37-- in 2 years he'll be 38 nearly 39

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We're too shit of a side to make the best use of his qualities.

He was always a short term signing. I don't really care. If he wants out, he can feck off like anyone else. Always a legend though.

Springchat

Yeah I think he needs to, it’ll be a mutual thing. I think Ralf will probably get the job full time and he’ll want to revamp most of the side, starting with the 500k a week striker that doesn’t move.
Who is a good replacement if Ronaldo goes that could be brought in, because the players already in the squad aren't all good enough to take his spot?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Who is a good replacement if Ronaldo goes that could be brought in, because the players already in the squad aren't all good enough to take his spot?
I could see it being some left field choice that nobody on here would come up with. Might even be a winger who Ralf reckons he can convert, who knows. I certainly don’t, but he’ll have his own ideas about what he wants from a centre forward and if ronaldo leaves he’s got a blank slate I guess.

Nordmore

I'd give Greenwood a try after watching him wrestling the Wolves defender down in the last match. Or was actually the only player who could receive the ball despite being pressed from behind then turn forward or pass to another forward.

He got pace, brain, technique, two footed, can pass, excellent finisher. Only thing he lacks is strength and experience. He looks quite strong enough already. With more playing time he'll get the experience required. And he really needs that playing time to develop as well.

Luke1995

If we win the champions league this season, I believe we would qualify for the next regardless of PL place

Artimities

If we win the champions league this season, I believe we would qualify for the next regardless of PL place
This is a good point. If either Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea or Man City win the CL, then 5th gets the autobirth I think. It may have something to do with the FA cup however... not 100% sure.

Luke1995

This is a good point. If either Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea or Man City win the CL, then 5th gets the autobirth I think. It may have something to do with the FA cup however... not 100% sure.
Doesn't the 5th place gets to play the CL qualyfing round anyway ?

MoskvaRed

Who cares? It was a stupid decision to sign him (and one I won’t blame Ole for). We used to boast of making great players and now we just sign them in their dotage - Ibra, Cavani, Ronaldo, even Falcao given the circumstances.