Will the Netherlands ever win a World Cup?

mu4c_20le

What's next for Netherlands? They have an aging squad, their best players are all 30, and besides a few promising youngsters like Depay and Wijnaldum, I don't really see any obvious replacements looking to break through and replace them.

Huntelaar (30)
Robben (30)
Van Persie (30)
Sneijder (30)

LvG did all he can to drag them to the semis and I thought this year's WC was probably their best chance. Any Dutch / Netherlands fans want to give your input?

Bojan11

They'd be thereabouts in 2018 with Hiddink. Replacing one genius with another.

mu4c_20le

Guus Hiddink will be 71 by the next world cup. I'm just not seeing the quality breaking through. I did miss a few talented youngsters that have a chance, Adam Maher, Tony Vilhena, Jetro Williams, and of course Strootman who missed out through injury.

Poor Netherlands. That's the 4th time being runner up.

thejtrain

Last WC was their best shot, but this WC Van Gaal dragged them through to the semis. The squad is really average and no great prospects coming through either. I don't expect them to do as well in the coming tournaments.

TyroneSpong

Just because you dont know our talents, doesnt mean we dont have them. In fact we got some great youngsters. We have been in 3 under-17 euro finals in the last 5 editions, winning two of them. Not every big talent follows the same path as Robben and van Persie. Look at De Vrij, he has been excellent this WC, and he just turned 22. Dont think most of RC heard of this guy. Depay will be big too. Im not worried at all. We have been producing starplayers for ages, and sure maybe there will be a moment where we will have to take a step back, but thats only because we will take two steps forward after.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

Raw

Honestly after looking at that team I didn't expect them to get this far. That defence is nothing to write home about.

They'll win one...eventually. It's hard to say when, anything can happen in football.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
8 years from now who knows, but they just don't have anyone special really coming through and their best players are pretty much at the end of their peaks now. Can't see them doing much in Russia 2018. Impossible to predict after that though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm pretty sure they would've lost the final anyway. If they'd got there there'd be playing the talented zeitgeist Champions-elect. Again! That they've got to a final and a semi in the last two WCs with far less talented squads than they've had in the past is a testament to them, and their status as a true international great. A sort of Germany-lite if you will (though they'll hate that)

This next generation doesn't look great, but they always produce good players somewhere along the line. At some point in the not too distant future I think they'll grow a new golden generation and do it. And I hope so too. Though predicting when is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Guus Hiddink will be 71 by the next world cup. I'm just not seeing the quality breaking through. I did miss a few talented youngsters that have a chance, Adam Maher, Tony Vilhena, Jetro Williams, and of course Strootman who missed out through injury.

Who's going to break it to him? :(

Zes

8 years from now who knows, but they just don't have anyone special really coming through and their best players are pretty much at the end of their peaks now. Can't see them doing much in Russia 2018. Impossible to predict after that though.
Disagree with that, but I'm Dutch, so, disclaimer I guess. However, we have Depay coming through, and Boetius and Vilhena from Feyenoord which are big talents, and some others.
Aside from that, the defenders from this world cup, Martins Indi, Janmaat, de Vrij, Veltman, may develop into whatever the next 4 years. I don't know, it may all turn out to be nothing again, but I'm not really pessimistic. Then again, I'm probably generally too hopeful. Grew up kind of assuming we just simply went to the World cup to pick up the trophy even though we never have.

Rezyuz

People come and go, a new generation of super talents is ready.

Cillesen

Van Rhijn - Rekik - Veltman/Vrij - Van Aanholt

Blind

Classie - ?

Bouetius - Kuyt - Depay
Altough i can easily see us win the EC2016 with the current squad and a matured defense, classy and depay.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
People come and go, a new generation of super talents is ready.

Cillesen

Van Rhijn - Rekik - Veltman/Vrij - Van Aanholt

Blind

Classie - ?

Bouetius - Kuyt - Depay
Altough i can easily see us win the EC2016 with the current squad and a matured defense, classy and depay.
Depay is the only one on that list that impresses me.

Shurou

Who's going to break it to him? :(
I will.

Netherlands lost a semi-final, not another final.

Rezyuz

@Rezyuz : Kuyt? Have I missed something? :D
That guy will haunt us forever.

No matter how much he works, no matter how much he tries and commits. In the end you need quality. Im so disappointed that LVG decided to keep Kuyt in every match after having 1 great match. It wasn't worth it to go 532 every match with Kuyt.

I really think we would have 10x more chance of winning that match if we had decided to go our classic 433 when Martins Indi got injured and sub in Depay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can't see it happening. Their golden generation (well relatively speaking) just blew their last chance today and they don't seem to have any Robben, Sneijder, and RvP type talent coming through to make another run.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

No matter how much he works, no matter how much he tries and commits. In the end you need quality. Im so disappointed that LVG decided to keep Kuyt in every match after having 1 great match. It wasn't worth it to go 532 every match with Kuyt.

I really think we would have 10x more chance of winning that match if we had decided to go our classic 433 when Martins Indi got injured and sub in Depay.
To be fair, van Gaal was the one who brought you to this semifinal by getting much more out of this squad then expected.

ea385

Can't see it happening. Their golden generation (well relatively speaking) just blew their last chance today and they don't seem to have any Robben, Sneijder, and RvP type talent coming through to make another run.
This was a (comparatively) poor Dutch team that was lucky to make it this far. The golden generation was the 1998 team - that team was awesome and was the best team on paper. But the best team on paper doesn`t always win, as Argentina of 2002 and 2006 knows well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This was a (comparatively) poor Dutch team that was lucky to make it this far. The golden generation was the 1998 team - that team was awesome and was the best team on paper. But the best team on paper doesn`t always win, as Argentina of 2002 and 2006 knows well.
Yes, i mean post 1998 with the young players that come up in the early 2000s. There just doesn't seem to be the talent coming through to replicate 2010 and 2014 again anytime soon.

RipleyNLD

I don't know about 2018, but for the 2016 EC we'll still have Robben and Van Persie. A few of the Eredivisie players in this tournament will also move abroad this summer and gain more experience. In 2016 we could field this:

Cillesen
Janmaat - De Vrij - BMI - Blind
Strootman - De Jong - Van Ginkel
Robben - Van Persie - Depay
In the last few years, Dutch clubs have focused their attention on their youth academies again, particularly Feyenoord and Ajax. We have quite a few promising talents coming through, such as Kishna (Ajax), Boëtius (Feyenoord), Ake (Chelsea), Rekik (Manchester City), Zivkovic (Ajax), Vilhena (Feyenoord), Kongolo (Feyenoord). Plus, who knows how the likes of Clasie, Wijnaldum, Fer, Klaassen, Maher, etc. will develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theon

ea385

Yes, i mean post 1998 with the young players that come up in the early 2000s. There just doesn't seem to be the talent coming through to replicate 2010 and 2014 again anytime soon.
True and I think Argentina is in a similar spot: the talent pool seems to have dried up after so many years of great players coming through. Barren spells are inevitable as they are both smaller countries, especially Holland.

Lothar

No. Last cup they got crushed by a Casillas reflex save. Was so obvious Robben was never scoring there. This year they didn't even reach the final. Embarrassing, went out on penalties. If that isn't a clear defeat I don't know what is. They'll never win it.

Rezyuz

To be fair, van Gaal was the one who brought you to this semifinal by getting much more out of this squad then expected.
I know, but because he got us this far with this system he got too attached to it. It was so obvious 532 didn't work out vs argentina's chinese wall defensive play. He said it himself in the post match, i brought on huntelaar to go for the win. Why didn't you just go 433 if you were truly going for the win? Because we absolutely dominated them in the start of the extra time.

Louis is always the guy who "takes you by the throat till you choke". And thats not what we did. We had them at the end, and we failed to finish it because we just went back to our passive play as its impossible to keep dominate a long duration with so little creative force on the field.

Last edited:

Shurou

The amount of times he got the ball and just cut back and passed sideways or backwards was staggering. Maybe I'm sounding cliched, but pretty much every time Kuyt actually played the ball forward into Robben or RvP, it caused Argentina's defense to panic and make last ditch challenges (feck you, Mascherano :mad:). I'm not sure if that is a testament to the soul-crushing lack of enterprise from Kuyt or actually a credit to him that he only played it forwards when it was sure to cause problems.

Nah, feck it, Kuyt is shit :mad:

Moriarty

The Dutch have a habit of unearthing good young talent and I'm sure they'll rebuild and return to compete. Might not be in 2016 or even 2018 but they're not going to fade away.

Rezyuz

The amount of times he got the ball and just cut back and passed sideways or backwards was staggering. Maybe I'm sounding cliched, but pretty much every time Kuyt actually played the ball forward into Robben or RvP, it caused Argentina's defense to panic and make last ditch challenges (feck you, Mascherano :mad:). I'm not sure if that is a testament to the soul-crushing lack of enterprise from Kuyt or actually a credit to him that he only played it forwards when it was sure to cause problems.

Nah, feck it, Kuyt is shit :mad:
Kuyt deserves all the credit for his work ethics, his defensive abilities and his mentality. But you don't win games with that. You win games with goals. And with a player like Kuyt you have 0 goal threat. Its all fun and shit when RvP and Robben can carry the team, but when they can't you basically have a useless LWB taking up the space of a winger who creates space for Robben and RvP to go 1v1 or go himself.

Rezyuz

The Dutch have a habit of unearthing good young talent and I'm sure they'll rebuild and return to compete. Might not be in 2016 or even 2018 but they're not going to fade away.
Keep an eye out for this guy:

He and Depay on the wings...if they develop as they are doing. Jesus christ. Double Robbens

roykeane19

Robben imo was the most explosive and entertaining player to watch in this world cup, at times he was carrying them on his own in the final third, was the only player at times trying to make something happen in the final third

He`ll be a huge loss to them in next world cup, hes been absolutely on fire this season, rvp was pretty useless these last 2 games tbh

Pocho

Robben imo was the most explosive and entertaining player to watch in this world cup, at times he was carrying them on his own in the final third, was the only player at times trying to make something happen in the final third

He`ll be a huge loss to them in next world cup, hes been absolutely on fire this season, rvp was pretty useless these last 2 games tbh
When he wasn't diving and moaning he played ok.