Will Wenger leaving fix all the problem for Arsenal?

I saw on Twitter that they're looking at Brendan Rogers, hes apparently one of the top candidates to replace Wenger.

el3mel

I saw on Twitter that they're looking at Brendan Rogers, hes apparently one of the top candidates to replace Wenger.
Perfect replacement for Wenger. Will do continue what Wenger has started i.e. destroying the club.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He'll do better than wenger in the short to mid term I think. Although the very short term there might be a price to pay for wenger having hollowed out the squad quality,

B20

Supports
Liverpool
In a way, it would be better for arsenal if they fell off a cliff for the remainder of the season.

There is a massive rebuilding job for the next guy and it will not be a smooth transition. Arsenal being their lacklustre-but-not-genuinely-awful selves this season might create the illusion that whoever takes over can just build on that. If they actually crashed and burned this season, the next guy might have a bit more freedom to tackle the rebuilding job without the added pressure of possibly not even improving on wenger's last season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In a way, it would be better for arsenal if they fell off a cliff for the remainder of the season.

There is a massive rebuilding job for the next guy and it will not be a smooth transition. Arsenal being their lacklustre-but-not-genuinely-awful selves this season might create the illusion that whoever takes over can just build on that. If they actually crashed and burned this season, the next guy might have a bit more freedom to tackle the rebuilding job without the added pressure of possibly not even improving on wenger's last season.
I'm not sure there is.
A winger, one or two CMs and a couple of CBs.
The biggest work is with their mentality.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
His leaving won't automatically fix their problems, but they certainly won't improve by keeping him around. Identifying the correct replacement will be key, alongside needing to modernise their background setup. By the sound of things, Wenger fills loads of roles in the running of the club behind the stage. This won't be a normal managerial transition by any stretch of the imagination. It probably won't be as problematic as SAF leaving us as they don't have as far to fall, but there'll need to be a big cultural shift at the club when Arsene leaves.

I imagine there'll need to be a pretty large overhaul of players too when a new manager does eventually come in - especially if they go with someone like Simeone/someone of that mindset. Either way, I reckon they're looking at a good few seasons outside the top 4. On paper there's no reason why they can't be a big club again, it'll be interesting whether or not the fans will back a slow/longterm overhaul of the team (which in my opinion is necessary/inevitable), or if they are less patient (as is more typical of modern fans). I can see this being the next big divisive issue Arsenal's fan base will enter into -ensuring many more profitable years for AFTV!

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure there is.
There is a lot of average players there wenger is getting more out of than other managers will.

Which is ironic, as he is also failing to get the best from his best players. Regression to the mean for better and worse.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I just want to complain about the thread title: why would something fix all the problems of anything? It's dumb, really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously thinking one change would solve all issues is silly. Especially given have problems at the board level as well. However they do desperately need a new manager given that's usually the most important figure at any club. How much changing the manager would help them depends on who they get. If Tuchel isn't an upgrade it wont matter much.

I see at as needing to be a combination of an increase in spending and an improvement in the management of the club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just want to complain about the thread title: why would something fix all the problems of anything? It's dumb, really.
Yes. I agree. It's a question that is begging to be responded with "No that's silly why would you even raise the topic in this specific manner"."

Needless to say that every post henceforth should open with that line.

I'm not sure there is.

They need a new GK as Cech is done, they need another RB as Bellerin is the only RB and he seems to be regressing and they need a DM. So they literally need about 7 new players, i don't think they can do all of that in one window.

AshRK

I'm not sure there is.
And that cannot change overnight as it takes time. Sometime even more tHan a season. Look at us, moyes destroyed us and the players went to shell, then lvg tried fixing some of that but failed as we still lost big matches which mattered aka losing the crunch game to westham in the league, losing at Wolfsburg , losing to chelsea at the bridge, losing to Liverpool at europa . It took Jose a year to change that mentality and help us win trophies to instill some belief that we are a big club and should act like one.

It's a tough job for whoever that takes from wenger. Yes they may help them finish in top 4 but they would need to change the players and club''s mentality.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
They need a new GK as Cech is done, they need another RB as Bellerin is the only RB and he seems to be regressing and they need a DM. So they literally need about 7 new players, i don't think they can do all of that in one window.
They need a whole new squad, Auba is literally their sole half decent player, Ozil on his day yes, but his mentality is simply not one that you could ever rely upon in big games.

AshRK

I know it won't fix all the problem but the reason I chose this as the title is because of how most arsenal fans put everything on wenger. It was more of a question to arsenal fans what exactly is required apart from wenger leaving? I don't see anything dumb in that if you read carefully the post.

AlwaysRed66

What's the deal with Tuchel, why is he mentioned on here all the time?
As far as i know, he hasn't won anything.
I agree with you. You would think he was a mixture of the greatest managers of all time the way he is tallked about. Inherited the Dortmund team from Klopp & did nothing with it, & did fairly well with Mainz, which is it. Where is he going? Barcelona, Real, Juventus, Man Utd/City, Liverpool etc. I don't think so. Might go to Bayern, as seemingly they are looking for a German. People want him here at Man Utd, although there is nothing to suggest he would be an improvement on Mourinho.

Hawks2008

No. That squad is saddled with lots of dross, and many of them are gutless players without the mentality required to be at a club like them. They need a complete overhaul of their squad, and a manager who must be given the time to build a new team. They're not always big spenders in the market so in this age of big fees and big wages they will have to be very shrewd in their dealings. Their new head of recruitment poached from Dortmund could be a help in this regard, and pairing him up with a young forward-thinking coach could be good for them. But it would not be an instant fix, their rebuild could be as lengthy as ours has been and likely could take longer. To be honest I do hope they get it right as long as it isn't at our expense. I have no love for Arsenal and their fall from grace has been fun to see,but I always did respect them more than our other rivals . It doesn't seem that long ago that we were battling for titles against each other, we lost our way for a bit and seem to be on the path again but Arsenal seem to just be falling further and further behind.

beep

I think he bought into the owners' spiel about lack of cash, like Fergie did 10-12 years ago and managed them through the situation.

I think the aim was to get to a debt-free position and then start spending - like Bayern.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Is it completely his fault? Has he been properly backed?
Where would this City team finish with Wenger in charge?
I think its more of a case of Wenger backing the owners. The later have clearly shown all they care about are money/profits and Wenger is playing along with that. Until last year they made the top 4 every year so good prize money league and Champions League wise. They have spent big when they wanted to tells me they have the money but the owners arent willing to spend it every year to challenge.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Wenger has more loyalty to the owners than he does to the fans, imo. He's basically a shill.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I think in the short term, they could do with a guy like Sean Dyche, who would at least make them hard to beat. While he's there, line up a top coach, load the team with some defensive talent and in 2-3 years they can be fairly competitive again.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I think in the short term, they could do with a guy like Sean Dyche, who would at least make them hard to beat. While he's there, line up a top coach, load the team with some defensive talent and in 2-3 years they can be fairly competitive again.
I actually agree here, someone like him would be an excellent step up from Wenger, as Wenger is wayyyy past his best by at least twenty years.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Honestly it depends on who replaces him and how much the board is willing to spend. Despite all the criticism of Wenger we are still 6th (pretty far off from 4th but from 7th as well) and still have a shot at the UEFA Cup. Compare that with Mourinho's last season at Chelsea where he was sacked in 15th place and you see that Wenger's worst season is nowhere near Mourinho's despite operating on a fraction of his budget. That alone should tell you why Wenger is still Arsenal manager.

If the board is going to bring in Moyes and Van Gaal replacements then no thanks we don't have the money to sustain 2 complete feck ups like Utd did.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I agree with you. You would think he was a mixture of the greatest managers of all time the way he is tallked about. Inherited the Dortmund team from Klopp & did nothing with it, & did fairly well with Mainz, which is it. Where is he going? Barcelona, Real, Juventus, Man Utd/City, Liverpool etc. I don't think so. Might go to Bayern, as seemingly they are looking for a German. People want him here at Man Utd, although there is nothing to suggest he would be an improvement on Mourinho.
Wasn't Bayern considering that young 30'ish manager of some team i can't remember (Hoffenheim??) ?
Anyone that's been a part of Dortmund the last 10 years, seems to be the best one in their position, according to Caf experts.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
That Summer when Arsenal signed just a GK was big imo. Up to then everyone was saying "They just need a GK and they'll win the league"

They thought it was going to be their "van der Sar" and this experienced GK to come in, be brilliant, solve all their GK problems and be that last link to winning the league.

Unfortunately for them, they signed a GK on the slope. Mourinho saw the gradual decline and Wenger didn't. I think he's just lost that eye for talent. Lacazette looks another big flop, and Aubameyng's early signs aren't promising.
Nobody said that apart from the idiots. Every Arsenal fan was screaming out for more signings and again in the Jan window. Wenger didnt do it and we lost the league to Leicester.

Giggs86

You know all of that is going to end with a contract extension to Wenger, right? After 'showing spirit' when losing in the EL quarter finals, or something.

bleedred

Win the title ? That is beyond optimistic with the quality in the current Top 4/5.
That is why I posted two recent examples of where a good manager can drive an underperforming squad for the title. City have had the best squad in the league since like 2011, yet they have won it only twice during that time.

Rafateria

That is why I posted two recent examples of where a good manager can drive an underperforming squad for the title. City have had the best squad in the league since like 2011, yet they have won it only twice during that time.
And how has that got to do with the manager and how much with the gazillion pounds spent building up the squad over the past few seasons to its current strength ? I think you've taken 1+1 to come up with 3.

Vijaylondon

I think the problems run a lot deeper at Arsenal than Wenger. You can replace him, but with their board being so tight with transfer funds, anyone who comes in will eventually run into the same sort of issues.

If you look at their net spend, it has basically been between £0-£20 million per year I think. Even this year with Aubameyang etc coming in, most of this has been down to the Sanchez money which United paid. Do you think the board will give anymore than that to an incoming manager without selling most of the squad first? (which isn't worth much).

They can bring in Simeone etc but they will eventually run into the same problems again. Obviously there will be a temporary boost as their coaching improves but tight purse strings will always show, Chelsea being the key example.

Smithy_123

With Liverpool, City and Chelsea to despise I do actually feel a bit of sympathy towards Arsenal fans. I remember the rivarly back in the early 2000s back when I was most passionate about football, but as a whole there is no real rivalry to speak of anymore in terms of competitiveness. If Wenger wasn't so stubborn and the board were willing to spend big each year they'd probably be challenging. If you look at their squad 6th seems spot on. So no, I don't think Wenger leaving will fix all their problems.

The squad against City:

Ospina, Bellerin, Chambers, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Xhaka, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, Aubameyang

Subs: Cech, Mertesacker, Kolasinac, Elneny, Maitland-Niles, Iwobi, Welbeck

bleedred

And how has that got to do with the manager and how much with the gazillion pounds spent building up the squad over the past few seasons to its current strength ? I think you've taken 1+1 to come up with 3.
I think you are the one confusing. I cited Leicester and United under SAF's last season as the examples of average-mediocre squads winning the league. Even you lot with Rodgers came close in 2014. It all clicked for you that season, similarly, it could for any team.

I am not saying they will do it. I am saying with a right manager and 2-3 good signings, they COULD if the manager gets a winning mentality into the squad.

Kapardin

He was quite good at Dortmund, and when you see their current shambles under their last two coaches, it just strengthens this point. However, he won't be at Arsenal in the near future as the chap they've signed from Dortmund was one of those who couldn't continue with him after everything went nuts.
Tuchel could possibly get Auba and Mkhi balling though. And rifts do mend occasionally, Lukaku/Mata and Mourinho are examples of that. At this point, either Tuchel or Jardim seem like the most sensible options for Arsenal. I'd be wary of giving Ancelotti anything other than a top class squad to work with, and currently Arsenal aren't that.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I think you are the one confusing. I cited Leicester and United under SAF's last season as the examples of average-mediocre squads winning the league. Even you lot with Rodgers came close in 2014. It all clicked for you that season, similarly, it could for any team.

I am not saying they will do it. I am saying with a right manager and 7-8 good signings, along with selling most of the current squad, they COULD if the manager gets a winning mentality into the squad.
Fixed it for you.

redflair

It was quite funny when I heard people say 'be careful what you wish for when Arsene goes' and 'We don't want a Fergie/Moyes debacle' and so on.

Problem is, Wenger has already done that to Arsenal in the last decade. He has morphed into their Moyes/Van Gaal over the last few years and that has meant a huge drop in standards and playing style which has gradually become a fairweather, flimsy, turn-up-when-you-like attitude.

Arsenal's descent has already happened. A new manager and new ideas are sorely needed. And it has to happen this summer.

bleedred

Fixed it for you.
How many did Conte sign to take them from 10th to title?

People just assume that you need to have 11 world class players to win the title. As I said previously, Liverpool very nearly managed to win it and most of their squad was mediocre except for Suarez and probably sterling.

Personally, do I think, Arsenal with a new manager would win the title next year, probably not, but stranger things have happened over the last few years.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It will fix numerous issue's providing they get the replacement correct, Pochettino changed Spurs from a bunch of inconsistent wetties to consistent strong challengers in 12 months.

That will however require the club to tell him enough's enough. I honestly believe if Wenger has the power to decide his own departure he won't leave until he either drops dead on the job or becomes seriously ill, the guy takes the phrases stubborn, narcissistic and lunatic to whole new dimensions.

FujiVice

Out of interest, what would you consider "fixing" Arsenal? Because we've spent hundreds of millions and mounted a half decent go at a title challenge. Is getting back in the top 4 "fixed"? Finishing 3rd and winning an FA Cup? What would the next manager have to do to "fix" Arsenal? Their dopey fans seem to think sacking Wenger will usher in a new era where they're challenging for the Champions League. I cant imagine that happening.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
It will fix everything* because they will start spending money. big money. Arsenal is a huge rich club. Arsene is a tight arse.

Instead of settling for a 44M Lacazatte, they will aim way higher I'm sure.

* granted they hire a decent manager and not Mikel Arteta.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

The answer to the OP is no it won't make everything right but I think they need a big shake up before they can start to rebuild.

What's the deal with Tuchel, why is he mentioned on here all the time?
As far as i know, he hasn't won anything

I think Wenger has been too stubborn after his success with the invincibles, and will never get them back to the top, probably time for a change for the best for the club.
Personally i don't mind if he stays there for a long time :)
He won a cup in his last season.