William Saliba

TheReligion

Abusive
Who is trolling? I haven't seen a single troll post in here. Every post has been trying to have an actual conversation.

It's just bizarre how you think this is trolling. Do you know what trolling is?
@GoonerBear has just admitted to trolling yesterday which is how this whole thing developed :lol:

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Gabriel and Saliba are top of the league. Martinez looks very suspect to me, rash and unpredictable... a little bit like Gabriel actually... only smaller.

Saliba is just a beast and it is ridiculous he is only 21 and new to the league, going to the top, but chances are it won't be with Arsenal, sadly.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
You all keep saying you were trying to sign him as a LB but that’s even more worrying IF true.

Shows not only the fans know nothing about him but the club too.
I mean you belittle his opinion but seem to completely neglect yourself the fact that full-backs in today's game fulfill a variety of different roles?

City don't play with what we would think of the 'traditional' full-back role, patrolling the touchline and getting on the overlap to put crosses into the box, they are often used as wide playmakers and instead look for underlapping runs from central players, and often move further in field to help add numbers to the build-up.

Arteta is from that coaching tree so it's not beyond reason he saw Martinez as able to fulfill this role. He certainly has the qualities in terms of his ability on the ball, work-rate and positional flexibility/understanding even if he has never actually played there before.

Daley Blind was/isn't that type of traditional LB but he's played this role successfully for Ajax and the national team on-and-off for the best part of a decade. Martinez obviously comes from the same setup and are potentially similar players in a number of ways, except he's noticeably more athletic and aggressive.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
@GoonerBear has just admitted to trolling yesterday which is how this whole thing developed :lol:
Yh and you keep referring to my posts as trolling, along with a couple others. How are they trolling? I am honestly intrigued.

Why is it so odd for Arsenal fans to say they'd want more of an upgrade on Gabriel than Martinez? Gabriel is a good player. To upgrade, i'd want a world class CB really otherwise it's not worth the risk. Martinez isn't one.. yet.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Perhaps I’m tarring you all with the same brush but I don’t think the majority of our Arsenal supporting guests (yes you’re all guests here) are particularly endearing hence the stick you all get. This thread for instance is a good example as to why.

Even when United beat Arsenal the very few that showed their faces were in denial and unwilling to say anything positive about United. It’s clear the majority are here to troll and because Arsenal are doing well currently rather than for any genuine footballing discussion. Find that a little sad.
Although I've not been a poster for that long, I joined in October 2020 in the middle of our worst start to the season on decades, so I'm not a poster that just pops up when Arsenal are winning to troll. I think I'm very level headed, both when we get beat, and when we win. When some posters get too ahead of themselves, I cringe myself, think BurgerVan pulled a comment up the other day as well.

However, I think most in general seem reasonable and happy to debate. We'll obviously have an Arsenal slant on discussions, you guys a Utd slant but that's natural. Think theres a few of you guys assume everyone is trolling though and are on the defensive straight away, even when it's pointed out that 95% of the posts are non trolling.

TheReligion

Abusive
Although I've not been a poster for that long, I joined in October 2020 in the middle of our worst start to the season on decades, so I'm not a poster that just pops up when Arsenal are winning to troll. I think I'm very level headed, both when we get beat, and when we win. When some posters get too ahead of themselves, I cringe myself, think BurgerVan pulled a comment up the other day as well.

However, I think most in general seem reasonable and happy to debate. We'll obviously have an Arsenal slant on discussions, you guys a Utd slant but that's natural. Think theres a few of you guys assume everyone is trolling though and are on the defensive straight away, even when it's pointed out that 95% of the posts are non trolling.
That’s fair enough although I’m not sure what kind of reaction you expected to get by doing what you did straight after the derby? It was clearly trolling and that’s where it pays to show a little respect to the forum you are on otherwise it damages your rep as a good poster.

Anyway I’ve had enough of the topic now. I’ve made my point!

Happy to discuss football with anyone but not with those who want to take the piss.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
That’s fair enough although I’m not sure what kind of reaction you expected to get by doing what you did straight after the derby? It was clearly trolling and that’s where it pays to show a little respect to the forum you are on otherwise it damages your rep as a good poster.

Anyway I’ve had enough of the topic now. I’ve made my point!

Happy to discuss football with anyone but not with those who want to take the piss.
Thank god, your little act was getting boring. Rest you fingers, Arsenal-Liverpool is next, no doubt you will have plenty to say.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Excessive use of smilies
Its bizarre Arsenal fans coming out with things like this which simply highlight how little they have seen and know of Martinez as a player.

Gabriel has played 80 games for Arsenal over two seasons and Arsenal fans still don’t really rate him and are unconvinced by his performances.

By contrast Martinez has been at United less than 10.

Adding to that Arsenal were trying to buy him…

Yet we have Arsenal fans telling us he’s not that good. It’s bloody laughable :lol:
You know what's even more hilarious? A United fan lording your centre backs ability to play in a high line a day after conceeding 6 goals while playing a high line :lol: You conceeded 4 against Brentford playing a high line :lol: You've conceeded the 5th most goals in the league :lol: And the second goal Gabriel would of cleared the corner that went over your little man's head :lol:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Enjoy it while it lasts. He holds all the card and he can pick his next club if he keeps up his performance.

GledTheRed

Gabriel and Saliba are top of the league. Martinez looks very suspect to me, rash and unpredictable... a little bit like Gabriel actually... only smaller.

Saliba is just a beast and it is ridiculous he is only 21 and new to the league, going to the top, but chances are it won't be with Arsenal, sadly.

:lol: :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
You know what's even more hilarious? A United fan lording your centre backs ability to play in a high line a day after conceeding 6 goals while playing a high line :lol: You conceeded 4 against Brentford playing a high line :lol: You've conceeded the 5th most goals in the league :lol: And the second goal Gabriel would of cleared the corner that went over your little man's head :lol:
And this is the kind of post which highlights how childish and petty our forum guests can be :drool:

SambaBoy

As a United fan, last few pages, the Arsenal fans have been more balanced. It's not an outlandish claim to say Gabriel is better than Martinez or vice versa.

Martinez who was massively criticised at the start of the season is now being overrated by others to create some sort of balance. He's had very good games Martinez but also quite a few moments where he should have done better. On the ball, he's excellent but there's been moments defensively where he's been rash and not covered himself in glory. Same with Gabriel judging by the comments.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I mean you belittle his opinion but seem to completely neglect yourself the fact that full-backs in today's game fulfill a variety of different roles?

City don't play with what we would think of the 'traditional' full-back role, patrolling the touchline and getting on the overlap to put crosses into the box, they are often used as wide playmakers and instead look for underlapping runs from central players, and often move further in field to help add numbers to the build-up.

Arteta is from that coaching tree so it's not beyond reason he saw Martinez as able to fulfill this role. He certainly has the qualities in terms of his ability on the ball, work-rate and positional flexibility/understanding even if he has never actually played there before.

Daley Blind was/isn't that type of traditional LB but he's played this role successfully for Ajax and the national team on-and-off for the best part of a decade. Martinez obviously comes from the same setup and are potentially similar players in a number of ways, except he's noticeably more athletic and aggressive.
Not to mention Arteta is currently employing inverted fullbacks and is currently already using a centre back in the inverted fullback role. IE the fullback drops deeper into an almost left defensive midfielder type role. So to say he definitely wouldn't use another centre back in an inverted fullback role contradicts what he's already doing. Zinchenko actually started as an attacking midfielder before he moved to Man City and got converted to a fullback. I'm sure Martinez would be better defensively than Zinchenko as an inverted fullback. I think Arteta liked his versatility. He'd have been able to cover for DM and CB.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Where have you got 30+ from?

He's played 23 games in the CL total, of which not all were as CB. Hence why I can't easily check and it was a genuine question.
(
Correct 30+ was including Europa League, the point being though that whilst Gabriel has more PL experience, Martinez has significantly more European experience and has played at a higher level than Gabriel has (and been his clubs player of the season and captain whilst doing so)

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
(
Correct 30+ was including Europa League, the point being though that whilst Gabriel has more PL experience, Martinez has significantly more European experience and has played at a higher level than Gabriel has (and been his clubs player of the season and captain whilst doing so)
The 19/20 season Martinez played nearly all his European football with Ajax as a midfielder. Ironically he was in the same Champions League group as Gabriel with Lille and Gabriel played all the group games for Lille.

Then 20/21 Martinez played most of the games as a defender, Gabriel played for Arsenal in the Europa League.

Then 21/22 Martinez played again predominantly in defence for Ajax, Arsenal weren't in Europa last season of course.

Cassidy

The 19/20 season Martinez played nearly all his European football with Ajax as a midfielder. Ironically he was in the same Champions League group as Gabriel with Lille and Gabriel played all the group games for Lille.

Then 20/21 Martinez played most of the games as a defender, Gabriel played for Arsenal in the Europa League.

Then 21/22 Martinez played again predominantly in defence for Ajax, Arsenal weren't in Europa last season of course.
So he has significantly more experience then at a higher level…

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So he has significantly more experience then at a higher level…
At centre back, I'd say significantly was a bit of an exaggeration, but yeah he's a bit more experienced at CL level.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Martinez is class and I rate him highly.

However he would NOT have been bought as a Gabriel replacement in our current system. He would have been our first choice starting LB. Basically the Zinchenko replacement where he can get higher up the pitch and slot into the midfield when in possession. I could also see him being utilised as a DM for the games Partey is out (our weakest position in terms of depth).
For the games we dominate, we typically push forward into a 253 formation with a very high line, I can see Martinez excelling at the role Arteta had in mind for him.

Like Zinchenko, Martinez is good with the pass, he pings some delightful through balls which would have been a treat. Would love to see how he would have slotted in at Arsenal, although I'm very happy with Zinchenko as you are with Martinez. Overall it's a win win for us both.

However I do think United need a change in playstyle and tactics which could mean Martinez being deployed elsewhere in the first XI for you lot. Not sure what Ten Haag has in mind going forward.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I actually think he, Saka and Martinelli will all renew this year.
May be. Players come and go. It is just a job. Saka and Martineli may renew as they are still developing as a player, Saliba may leave next summer if there is interest from the big clubs that can offer better salary and challenge for trophies consistently. He has less than 2 years in his contract so he holds all the cards.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He is still an Arsenal boyhood fan, so you'd have there's a chance he renews if we do well this season.

Martinelli and Saka sound like they're already close to renewing anyway.

If we do all 3 before the WC, then we sign a DM in January, we're on good track.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
May be. Players come and go. It is just a job. Saka and Martineli may renew as they are still developing as a player, Saliba may leave next summer if there is interest from the big clubs that can offer better salary and challenge for trophies consistently. He has less than 2 years in his contract so he holds all the cards.
Liverpool won the league because they kept onto players capable of winning trophies. Saliba, Saka, Martinelli Odegaard all these players people are talking up as capable of winning trophies.............well they are all at Arsenal. So why not say F will keep them and win the trophies?

Cassidy

Liverpool won the league because they kept onto players capable of winning trophies. Saliba, Saka, Martinelli Odegaard all these players people are talking up as capable of winning trophies.............well they are all at Arsenal. So why not say F will keep them and win the trophies?
Because its not just up to your club. I imagine you’ll get them to sign though.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Because its not just up to your club. I imagine you’ll get them to sign though.
Football is dynamic and teams rise and fall. There is no reason why Arsenal feel they cant keep hold of our players. We will offer them contracts with healthy rates of pay. Were one of the richest clubs in the Premier League after all.

Cassidy

Football is dynamic and teams rise and fall. There is no reason why Arsenal feel they cant keep hold of our players. We will offer them contracts with healthy rates of pay. Were one of the richest clubs in the Premier League after all.
Well I did say you’ll likely get them to sign. However if someone like Barca, Real and Bayern come in for Saliba you might have an issue

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Well I did say you’ll likely get them to sign. However if someone like Barca, Real and Bayern come in for Saliba you might have an issue
Bayern dont get involved in big ticket sales. Plus its Germany - its Fing boring domestic league

If Real want to bid for him, let them. We will just reject

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Bayern dont get involved in big ticket sales. Plus its Germany - its Fing boring domestic league

That's a bit arrogant and unrealistic. If we don't get Saliba to sign a new deal by the summer chances are we'll need to sell him to give us funds to reinvest. I can't see any big club who wouldn't be interested in Saliba with 12 months on his deal.

Saliba and Saka are the main 2 we need to get tied down. Both their deals run out in 2024. Martinelli I think is 2025 and should be next priority. After that we are actually in a good place, with the bulk of the rest of the squad that we'd want to build round going forward signed to 2026/2027.

Rojofiam

Saliba is amazing and will likely be one of the best of his generation.

However, it's typical delusion from Arsenal fans to belittle Martínez and compare him to Gabriel. The Brazilian ain't fit to lace Licha's boots.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Saliba is amazing and will likely be one of the best of his generation.

However, it's typical delusion from Arsenal fans to belittle Martínez and compare him to Gabriel. The Brazilian ain't fit to lace Licha's boots.
Why we arguing here? Utd fans are happy with Martinez, Arsenal fans are happy with Gabriel in general, so everyone is happy. What's the problem?

Cassidy

Yes and he can then run his contract down and leave for free. Not that Im saying that would happen.

Also Bayern have 2 CBs that cost 70+ each by the way

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Already all written, he s 21, will continue for few years at Arsenal and when he will mature, he will leave for a better club in a few years.

Played really well at Marseille, is now French international, and bet he will be the future number one in defense in the future.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Already all written, he s 21, will continue for few years at Arsenal and when he will mature, he will leave for a better club in a few years.

Played really well at Marseille, is now French international, and bet he will be the future number one in defense in the future.
It would be great to keep that group for 6,7,8 years but some are bound to leave at some point. This is only the start of a cycle that will probably get challenged in 2024/2025. Where will be against City (Haaland might be waving his RC at Real by then) and Chelsea. Liverpool is going to need to go through it eventually and United is unknown.
If i had to bet, i'd say we'll lose ESR before any of Saliba/Saka/Martinelli.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
It would be great to keep that group for 6,7,8 years but some are bound to leave at some point. This is only the start of a cycle that will probably get challenged in 2024/2025. Where will be against City (Haaland might be waving his RC at Real by then) and Chelsea. Liverpool is going to need to go through it eventually and United is unknown.
If i had to bet, i'd say we'll lose ESR before any of Saliba/Saka/Martinelli.
Do not think that the majority of these players will be there for 5 years. Think players stays in their club if they have immediate success in the league and progression in CL.

I see Saliba leaving in two years, maybe after the next Euro to be honest.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That's a bit arrogant and unrealistic. If we don't get Saliba to sign a new deal by the summer chances are we'll need to sell him to give us funds to reinvest. I can't see any big club who wouldn't be interested in Saliba with 12 months on his deal.
If Arsenal can't convince Saliba to renew his contract next summer he will be sold for whatever price the club can get. It is just how the transfer market works. Nothing personal. Player comes and goes.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Do not think that the majority of these players will be there for 5 years. Think players stays in their club if they have immediate success in the league and progression in CL.

I see Saliba leaving in two years, maybe after the next Euro to be honest.
Maybe, anything is possible, he's in a strong position to do whatever he likes. Up to the club to make him want to stay.
If we can't but get a huge fee to reinvest, it will be fine.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The good thing in Saliba being so outrageously good is that we'll easy get 50m for him, even with 1 year left. He's potentially a 80m player, so clubs should be jumping at him even for 50-60m.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Could see him starting for France in the WC, he's just been incredible for the past season and a half.