William Saliba

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
We are likely to be the team who finishes closest to City this year.
Wow, you need to calm down, this is just not true. We are 8 games in mate, 2nd place looks to be very open and unless we do something in Jan, we are a Partey injury away from disaster. I would still have Liverpool as 'most likely'.

This is the most baffling thing. Yet Arse fans on here are convinced they always had faith in him. :lol:

The fact is that they just got lucky after their summer transfer acquisitions failed, otherwise he’d still be at Marseille this season.
Well you clearly don't know what you are talking about, and your user name certainly checks out. He was always coming back this season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We are likely to be the team who finishes closest to City this year. If we sell them our best players, then the premier league becomes the Bundesliga.

Anyways, City can ask and bid but we will likely say no, and quote them really high fees using Grealish as a relative reference.

Oh so you want Saka, well you spent 100m on 25 year old Grealish. We will therefore require 200m for 21 year old Saka. Oh you think thats unreasonable, well heres a bin, get in it
Delusional.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
it will be yet another example of Arteta falling out with the top quality players in his sides.
Ozil and Aubameyang? on a combined £700k a week? Both toxic characters, way past their best. Surely nobody thinks Mikel wasn't correct to get rid.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He’s got all the attributes to be top class. Nothing stopping him from being one of the best in the world if he continues to develop. He’s got everything you need. Long time to go but certainly got off to a good start.

The worry for Arsenal would be how do they navigate this fixture congested season without needing to make too many changes to the team. One or two injuries to key players can really derail them. I’d say Jesus and Saliba are their two most important players right now.
Without hoping to jinx it, I think we should be ok up to the World Cup. Looking at how the games pan out up to then, we should hopefully be able to rotate a bit in the Europa League group stage, meaning we can rest the more fragile players in the main and break up the Sun / Thu cycle for some of them.

After the world cup is a different story, hopefully we are able to sign a couple in January to give us an extra push for the 2nd part of the season.

This is the most baffling thing. Yet Arse fans on here are convinced they always had faith in him. :lol:

The fact is that they just got lucky after their summer transfer acquisitions failed, otherwise he’d still be at Marseille this season.
You need to also remember the circumstances he was signed. He was signed as an 18 year old who had played about 20 games for St Etienne.

He was then allowed to stay on loan there as part of the deal and that allowed him to get more first team exposure.
Then first the coach and then afterwards the Director of football that signed him were let go at Arsenal.Then Covid then hit and and Ligue 1 finished early.

He came to Arsenal during Covid restrictions after not playing for months and I believe he also had some personal loss. He was deemed not ready and allowed to go back on loan to Nice in January but a loan should have wrapped up in the summer window, big failing there.

Now, of course after returning from Nice, he perhaps could and should have been introduced then. However he was allowed to leave on loan for another season. I don't doubt we'd have been a better team had he stayed, so many can argue that was a big mistake, some would argue it was good for him to get another year out on loan playing week in week.

What I will say is that a few times during the season Arteta said we were watching him, we were happy with how he was doing, and that he was our player and would be part of our squad going forward. We were all hoping he would stay true to his word and he has.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Contract up at the end of next year?

Real Madrid are gonna come knocking for certain. If his agent is smart then he tells him to not sign a thing until Jan '24.

Irrational.

What I will say is that a few times during the season Arteta said we were watching him, we were happy with how he was doing, and that he was our player and would be part of our squad going forward. We were all hoping he would stay true to his word and he has.
Weren’t there rumours of Saliba not wanting to return?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It was just a way to put pressure on Arsenal to make sure he'd play. But he knew that Marseille could not buy him and certainly could not pay him what he'd get staying in the PL if he renews.
I think he could easily get a pretty big contract for the next 3 to 4 years at Arsenal and not even be in his prime before having to make a choice. He has all the power in those negotiations. And if he goes and play at the WC at 21...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I wanted us to sign him before Arsenal did, he looked like he had loads of class and quality even then. He apparently started out as an attacking midfielder, so you knew he would be a good footballer. Was intrigued by Arsenal loaning him out as I thought they'd not give him a chance at one point.

Thought him and Guendouzi would both become big players for them if given a chance.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Weren’t there rumours of Saliba not wanting to return?
Yeah, as @awop has said, he was happy playing every week at Marseille for a big club in France, now qualified for Champions League. He had become a France international as well, and with a chance at a World Cup place, he wanted to make sure he wasn't coming to Arsenal to be 4th or 5th choice.

I don't think he ever came out publicly and demanded he starts every week, but he wanted to become a legitimate member of the first team squad and be treated as such. I've no doubt a conversation happened over the summer to assure him of such, but the proof would be in the pudding as they say in terms of game time at the start of the season.

That doesn't mean we aren't in a precarious position regarding his contract. I'm hoping now he feels settled and valued, and sees it as a good place to play football the next few years. I've no doubt though there will be some big clubs in his agents ear, so this will be a bit of a challenge.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He’ll replace Varane very nicely in the French team in a few years. Would be great if we brought him here around that time too…

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's doing very well, Arsenal play with such a high line as well and he's up for every battle. Very composed player, he does seem like a younger Varane. Thank feck they didn't sign Martinez to play next to him.
My thoughts as well so far. :wenger:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You definitely are blinkered by the looks of it.
Perhaps. But we were looking to sign Martinez as a left back, not a centre back in response to the original post. And am I meant to believe he's a big upgrade on Gabriel at centre back from the performances I've seen so far? Both of them seem to have limitations when defending, Martinez physically, Gabriel with his rashness.

TheReligion

Abusive
Perhaps. But we were looking to sign Martinez as a left back, not a centre back in response to the original post. And am I meant to believe he's a big upgrade on Gabriel at centre back from the performances I've seen so far?
So you all keep saying…

And if you’d watched Martinez this season, other than coming here after a game United just lost to troll, perhaps you’d have more of a clue.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So you all keep saying…

And if you’d watched Martinez this season, other than coming here after a game United just lost to troll, perhaps you’d have more of a clue.
I've seen several Utd games this season. Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal, Sociedad and City now. It's fair to say that's a broad spectrum of results, and a broad spectrum of performances.
My point is that neither Martinez, or Gabriel, are complete as centre backs. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. So if I want to improve on Gabriel, i want to negate the weaknesses. Give me a centre back with his physicality, but without the brain fart tackling.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've seen several Utd games this season. Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal, Sociedad and City now. It's fair to say that's a broad spectrum of results, and a broad spectrum of performances.
My point is that neither Martinez, or Gabriel, are complete as centre backs. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. So if I want to improve on Gabriel, i want to negate the weaknesses. Give me a centre back with his physicality, but without the brain fart tackling.
Yeah I very much doubt you have watched all those United games and know very much about Martinez. Obviously it’s very convenient to say that though. If you look back, your own fans here yesterday were cursing Gabriel v Spurs and saying he was the weak link. By contrast United fans are really happy with Martinez so I’m not sure what that tells us? Probably that you’re talking shite.

Let’s have it right you’ve popped on here after United lost the derby to troll and shit stir. Bit weird.

What I will say though is the Gabriel-Saliba Axis didn’t look particularly great when United shredded it a few weeks ago. Let’s see how it copes against City and Haaland.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldn't replace Gabriel with Martinez personally either.

Gabriel is a good player, but he is the weaker link. To replace him, i'd want a much better player. Not sure Martinez is.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I wouldn't replace Gabriel with Martinez personally either.

Gabriel is a good player, but he is the weaker link. To replace him, i'd want a much better player. Not sure Martinez is.
He is

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I very much doubt you have watched all those United games and know very much about Martinez. Obviously it’s very convenient to say that though. If you look back, your own fans here yesterday were cursing Gabriel v Spurs and saying he was the weak link. By contrast United fans are really happy with Martinez so I’m not sure what that tells us? Probably that you’re talking shite.

Let’s have it right you’ve popped on here after United lost the derby to troll and shit stir. Bit weird.

What I will say though is the Gabriel-Saliba Axis didn’t look particularly great when United shredded it a few weeks ago. Let’s see how it copes against City and Haaland.
I've been on posting today before the derby, posted during it, and now posted after it. So yeah, I've hardly came on just to troll.

If Utd fans are happy with Martinez then they are more than entitled to their opinion, like I'm entitled to mine. Looking at the Martinez thread, I'm not sure they were really happy today.

Gabriel was our best centre back last season, and is seen as the weak link now because he's had a couple of brain farts and been a bit too rash a couple of times. He's also seen as the weak link because Saliba has performed so well that the bar has been raised. So if we want to improve on Gabriel we need to raise the bar again.

And I'm surprised you feel the need to question me on what I've watched. I believe every game I mentioned was live on TV, and i have a 7 month old so have no social life currently. And should I question you on what you've watched when you give your opinions?

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I've been on posting today before the derby, posted during it, and now posted after it. So yeah, I've hardly came on just to troll.

If Utd fans are happy with Martinez then they are more than entitled to their opinion, like I'm entitled to mine. Looking at the Martinez thread, I'm not sure they were really happy today.

Gabriel was our best centre back last season, and is seen as the weak link now because he's had a couple of brain farts and been a bit too rash a couple of times. He's also seen as the weak link because Saliba has performed so well that the bar has been raised. So if we want to improve on Gabriel we need to raise the bar again.

And I'm surprised you feel the need to question me on what I've watched. I believe every game I mentioned was live on TV, and i have a 7 month old so have no social life currently. And should I question you on what you've watched when you give your opinions?
We lost the derby 6-3. Do you think any United fan is happy with the players today?

Pretty stupid comment and obviously only a troll would appear to downplay Martinez in a thread about Saliba after such a result. As I say, Saliba and Gabriel were ripped apart by United the other week so what does that tell us.

OverratedOpinion

And I'm surprised you feel the need to question me on what I've watched. I believe every game I mentioned was live on TV, and i have a 7 month old so have no social life currently. And should I question you on what
To be honest yes. This forum and every football forum is riddled with people acting like they watch every single game in Europe.

You saying that having a 7 month old means you have watched MORE tv sounds very odd to me.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean he isn't. Maybe he could be, but for now he isn't.

Gabriel has had many very good games in this league too.
How long has Gabriel been playing in the league? And why were all your fans complaining about him yesterday and at other times this season?

Martinez has been good for United (check the performance thread) and you won’t find many unhappy with him. We’ve also played yourselves, Liverpool and now City. In your first challenging fixture this season Gabriel and Saliba conceded 3 goals (to United). Against Spurs Gabriel was again all over the shop.

Let’s see how you do against City and Liverpool before getting ahead of yourselves.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
We lost the derby 6-3. Do you think any United fan is happy with the players today?

Pretty stupid comment and obviously only a troll would appear to downplay Martinez in a thread about Saliba after such a result. As I say, Saliba and Gabriel were ripped apart by United the other week so what does that tell us.
The reality is that was mostly as we had Sambi playing DM who had no idea what was going on and didn't stop anything. But.. if you want to blame Saliba and Gabriel for it go for it.

Partey plays, and we win that game, and I strong think it.

But, that is down to the club. We didn't sign an adequate backup, so we will lose games due to it, United being one of them.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
How long has Gabriel been playing in the league? And why were all your fans complaining about him yesterday and at other times this season?

Martinez has been good for United (check the performance thread) and you won’t find many unhappy with him. We’ve also played yourselves, Liverpool and now City. In your first challenging fixture this season Gabriel and Saliba conceded 3 goals (to United). Against Spurs Gabriel was again all over the shop.

Let’s see how you do against City and Liverpool before getting ahead of yourselves.
Yes a while, and for a season he was our best defender. Then slowly the rest of the team is going up levels, and he doesn't stand out as much. It doesn't mean he's a bad player, he isn't. He's still a good player, he's just the weak link in our back 4. But I think the rest of the back 4 is at a top level.

Is Martinez possibly better? We'll find out, but he also has weaknesses. If we were to replace Gabriel, i'd like it to be with a player on another level, and Martinez isn't that.

Who is getting ahead of ourselves? Where has that even come from?

TheReligion

Abusive
The reality is that was mostly as we had Sambi playing DM who had no idea what was going on and didn't stop anything. But.. if you want to blame Saliba and Gabriel for it go for it.

But, that is down to the club. We didn't sign an adequate backup, so we will lose games due to it, United being one of them.
Of course I’ll blame your two centre halves for conceding 3 goals because that’s exactly what you are both doing with Martinez here.

Yep full of excuses so blame Sambi. United didn’t have a number 9 fit and I imagine if we did we’d have scored more than 3.

As I say let’s see how you get on against City and Liverpool yourselves before coming on here trolling.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Of course I’ll blame your two centre halves for conceding 3 goals because that’s exactly what you are both doing with Martinez here.

Yep full of excuses so blame Sambi. United didn’t have a number 9 fit and I imagine if we did we’d have scored more than 3.

As I say let’s see how you get on against City and Liverpool yourselves before coming on here trolling.
Where did I blame Martinez for conceding 3 goals?

And how on earth am I trolling?

You are literally making things up..

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
To be honest yes. This forum and every football forum is riddled with people acting like they watch every single game in Europe.

You saying that having a 7 month old means you have watched MORE tv sounds very odd to me.
Ok, will I do Facebook style check ins to let you know when I'm watching games so you can keep a tab? Or let's check what games everyone's watched when voicing their opinions?

My 11 year old is football daft. He plays on a Sat morning, and we used to have season tickets for Rangers but had to give them up as my wife is on Maternity Pay. So we watch a lot of games together still in the house. I await being judged on my parental skills now.

TheReligion

Abusive
My thoughts as well so far. :wenger:
Yeah. Some insightful opinion you voiced…

Ok, will I do Facebook style check ins to let you know when I'm watching games so you can keep a tab? Or let's check what games everyone's watched when voicing their opinions?

My 11 year old is football daft. He plays on a Sat morning, and we used to have season tickets for Rangers but had to give them up as my wife is on Maternity Pay. So we watch a lot of games together still in the house. I await being judged on my parental skills now.
You bumped this thread to troll cause United lost. Why try and dress it up as something else?

NoPace

Yeah, Arsenal need to sign another DM in January. Doucoure who went to Palace would have been a good fit. Paulhina at Fulham too. Someone like that. Partey is your Varane, an injury prone player without whom his unit is average at best.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Your 11 year old seems more likely :lol:
We did watch those Utd games though. It's the bonus of having a football daft kid, his mum doesn't like telling him no. :D
And despite my initial comment, I'm not digging out Martinez. I think he's a good player. However I also think Gabriel is a good player. Like I said, they both have their string points and their drawbacks. Think theres only a couple of months between them in age so will be interesting to see how they both develop.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I mean he isn't. Maybe he could be, but for now he isn't.

Gabriel has had many very good games in this league too.
And Martinez has had better games at a higher level in the UCL