William Saliba

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
And Martinez has had better games at a higher level in the UCL
How many games has he played CB in the UCL?

Genuine question.

Edit: Expecting sarcy reply, 'more than gabriel'

Last edited:

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
And Martinez has had better games at a higher level in the UCL
Martinez wouldn't suit us as the left sided centre half. We need our centre half to play high up the pitch given we play such a highline.

Gabriel has made to pretty big errors this year, getting robbed by Mitrovic and then again on Saturday fouling Richarlison. he is less composed than Saliba but certainly aggressive. He is still a top centre half though and he and Saliba along with Partey are doing very well to provide a platform for the team.

In possession we are pretty much 2-3-5 so we ask a lot of our centre halfs. I dont know if Martinez could handle playing centre half in a system like that.

Damodar

Martinez wouldn't suit us as the left sided centre half. We need our centre half to play high up the pitch given we play such a highline.

Gabriel has made to pretty big errors this year, getting robbed by Mitrovic and then again on Saturday fouling Richarlison. he is less composed than Saliba but certainly aggressive. He is still a top centre half though and he and Saliba along with Partey are doing very well to provide a platform for the team.

In possession we are pretty much 2-3-5 so we ask a lot of our centre halfs. I dont know if Martinez could handle playing centre half in a system like that.
Bolded parts literally describing his role at Ajax.
Can't believe I've logged into this site and actually posted thanks to this comment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Maybe you should watch him before assuming he can't play in a high line, which he's done for much of his career

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How many games has he played CB in the UCL?

Genuine question.

Edit: Expecting sarcy reply, 'more than gabriel'
You can easily check, but its 30+ whilst Gabriel hardly has European experience.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
You can easily check, but its 30+ whilst Gabriel hardly has European experience.
Where have you got 30+ from?

He's played 23 games in the CL total, of which not all were as CB. Hence why I can't easily check and it was a genuine question.

Chief123

Perhaps. But we were looking to sign Martinez as a left back, not a centre back in response to the original post. And am I meant to believe he's a big upgrade on Gabriel at centre back from the performances I've seen so far? Both of them seem to have limitations when defending, Martinez physically, Gabriel with his rashness.
I doubt you’ve watched Martinez properly. He’d walk into arsenal team ahead of Gabriel.

Virtually every game I watch Arsenal (which is quite a lot), Gabriel has at least one mistake in him every match.

TheReligion

Abusive
Maybe you should watch him before assuming he can't play in a high line, which he's done for much of his career
Its bizarre Arsenal fans coming out with things like this which simply highlight how little they have seen and know of Martinez as a player.

Gabriel has played 80 games for Arsenal over two seasons and Arsenal fans still don’t really rate him and are unconvinced by his performances.

By contrast Martinez has been at United less than 10.

Adding to that Arsenal were trying to buy him…

Yet we have Arsenal fans telling us he’s not that good. It’s bloody laughable :lol:

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Its bizarre Arsenal fans coming out with things like this which simply highlight how little they have seen and know of Martinez as a player.

Gabriel has played 80 games for Arsenal over two seasons and Arsenal fans still don’t really rate him and are unconvinced by his performances.

By contrast Martinez has been at United less than 10.

Adding to that Arsenal were trying to buy him…

Yet we have Arsenal fans telling us he’s not that good. It’s bloody laughable :lol:
Again, it's not that we don't rate him, we just rate the other defenders higher. Gabriel on his own is a good player. He just makes too many mistakes, but equally the style we play opens up room for mistakes. For his first season he was class.

What has that got to do with anything for Martinez? I also said above come the end of the season maybe things will change, but for now I wouldn't swap them.

And lastly, what a pointless point. We were clearly trying to sign him to play an inverted LB role, not CB. Then he went to you, so we signed Zinchenko instead.

For what it's worth, personally I think he is a good player. But, I don't think he's a considerable upgrade to Gabriel. Both have weaknesses.

TheReligion

Abusive
Again, it's not that we don't rate him, we just rate the other defenders higher. Gabriel on his own is a good player. He just makes too many mistakes, but equally the style we play opens up room for mistakes. For his first season he was class.

What has that got to do with anything for Martinez? I also said above come the end of the season maybe things will change, but for now I wouldn't swap them.

And lastly, what a pointless point. We were clearly trying to sign him to play an inverted LB role, not CB. Then he went to you, so we signed Zinchenko instead.

For what it's worth, personally I think he is a good player. But, I don't think he's a considerable upgrade to Gabriel. Both have weaknesses.
You all keep saying you were trying to sign him as a LB but that’s even more worrying IF true.

Shows not only the fans know nothing about him but the club too.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
You all keep saying you were trying to sign him as a LB but that’s even more worrying IF true.

Why? If Ben White can do that role well, then i'm sure Martinez could adapt. I trust our scouting department more than United fans that have seen him play 10 games.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I doubt you’ve watched Martinez properly. He’d walk into arsenal team ahead of Gabriel.

Virtually every game I watch Arsenal (which is quite a lot), Gabriel has at least one mistake in him every match.
Ill admit Gabriel is the more erratic and least composed of our defenders, but he is also the most aggressive and up for the fight. Its just his nature to battle and be aggressive. Gabriel has made two individual errors this year that have lead to goals. Mitrovic robbed him of the ball in our Fulham match, and yesterday fouling Richarlison when he didnt need to slide in, but he doesnt let it effect him. And to be fair Martinez has been found out in aerial duels against Brentford and again yesterday against City with Haaland being him to the header. So lets not act like Martinez hasnt been responsible for some of the 14 goals United have already leaked. Martinez has been beaten in one on one contests leading to United conceding.

One of the reasons I dont think Martinez would walk into our team, is lack of height and stature, and he isn't as quick as Gabriel. Martinez wouldn't suit our highline. There is no way I would trust Martinez to marshal all that acreage.

Reactions: oates

TheReligion

Abusive
Ill admit Gabriel is the more erratic and least composed of our defenders, but he is also the most aggressive and up for the fight. Its just his nature to battle and be aggressive. Gabriel has made two individual errors this year that have lead to goals. Mitrovic robbed him of the ball in our Fulham match, and yesterday fouling Richarlison when he didnt need to slide in, but he doesnt let it effect him. And to be fair Martinez has been found out in aerial duels against Brentford and again yesterday against City with Haaland being him to the header. So lets not act like Martinez hasnt been responsible for some of the 14 goals United have already leaked. Martinez has been beaten in one on one contests leading to United conceding.

One of the reasons I dont think Martinez would walk into our team, is lack of height and stature, and he isn't as quick as Gabriel. Martinez wouldn't suit our highline. There is no way I would trust Martinez to marshal all that acreage.
But Martinez played in a high line successfully at Ajax for years and in the CL against the best in Europe…

Chief123

And that’s the exact narrative that shows you’ve not watched Martinez properly. “He’s been found out in aerial duels”. Haaland wasn’t even his man for the header nor was Martinez the closest person to Haaland, so what on earth are you on about?

You say you wouldn’t trust Martinez in your high line yet you trust Gabriel who is a liability every week but you’ve convinced yourself he’s Baresi.

TheReligion

Abusive
And that’s the exact narrative that shows you’ve not watched Martinez properly. “He’s been found out in aerial duels”. Haaland wasn’t even his man for the header nor was Martinez the closest person to Haaland, so what on earth are you on about?
The more they post the less it appears they have watched United or Martinez.

Chief123

The more they post the less it appears they have watched United or Martinez.
It’s cute when they get giddy every season after their purple patch. Now they don’t trust any other player in the world except Arteta’s hero’s. It’s not like Arsenal tried desperately to sign Martinez going beyond the price they wanted to pay. Even till the last minute when Martinez made it clear he wanted to go to Utd.

As soon as they came up against Utd, their hero’s got smoked by an out of form Rashford and a debutant Antony.

TheReligion

Abusive
You have to laugh really. Arsenal fans have literally turned their own thread into a Gabriel v Martinez debate by bumping it yesterday after the derby to try and troll United fans on their own forum.

All that it’s done is make everyone realise how little they know.

Raven

You say you wouldn’t trust Martinez in your high line yet you trust Gabriel who is a liability every week but you’ve convinced yourself he’s Baresi.
Just a bit of pig ignorance.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
It’s cute when they get giddy every season after their purple patch. Now they don’t trust any other player in the world except Arteta’s hero’s. It’s not like Arsenal tried desperately to sign Martinez going beyond the price they wanted to pay. Even till the last minute when Martinez made it clear he wanted to go to Utd.

As soon as they came up against Utd, their hero’s got smoked by an out of form Rashford and a debutant Antony.
You have a strange attitude.

I feel like Arsenal fans here are being calm and reasonable but some of you lot are just spouting rubbish and exagerating things.

We have literally said we'd happily upgrade Gabriel. So in what world are we just trusting Artetas heros?

Bizzare.

For what it's worth, I think Martinez could be fine in a high line, but think for our formation which has 2 CBs defending a lot of the time, i'm not sure it's ideal.

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s cute when they get giddy every season after their purple patch. Now they don’t trust any other player in the word except Arteta’s hero’s. As soon as they came up against Utd, their hero’s got smoked by an out of form Rashford and a debutant Antony.
Yah I mentioned that. The Saliba-Gabriel Axis as they famously called it got shredded by United who didn’t even have a fit number 9.

Obviously that wasn’t the case though. It was all down to Sambi. If Partey has played they’d have soundly beaten us.

They talk utter, utter shite.

TheReligion

Abusive

I feel like Arsenal fans here are being calm and reasonable but some of you lot are just spouting rubbish and exagerating things.

We have literally said we'd happily upgrade Gabriel. So in what world are we just trusting Artetas heros?

Bizzare.
Your fans bumped this thread yesterday to troll United fans and have turned a thread about Saliba into a Gabriel v Martinez debate.

Now that’s weird.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal

We were after Martinez because he could play LCB, LB and LCM. This was pre-season mind you before it was known Xhaka could play so well. I always felt Martinez would play LCM alongside Partey in a typical 4-2-3-1.

We were after Martinez, but he turned us down for Man United, and we got Zinchenko instead. Worked out for all really. Because our formation has changed significantly. We dont play 4-2-3-1. we play 4-1-2-3. Xhaka is thriving in his new role doing on the left doing what Odegaard does on the right. And to be honest Martinez would never have been able to play the forward midfield role Xhaka plays.

He is a good player, but he wouldn't fit in with our formation and brand of football.

Chief123

Bizzare.

For what it's worth, I think Martinez could be fine in a high line, but think for our formation which has 2 CBs defending a lot of the time, i'm not sure it's ideal.
You need to read your fellow Arsenal fan posts before concluding I’m the one who has a strange attitude.

You’ve literally got the other guy talking nonsense Souness/Carragher narrative and then pretending he watches Martinez play.

TheReligion

Abusive
We were after Martinez because he could play LCB, LB and LCM. This was pre-season mind you before it was known Xhaka could play so well. I always felt Martinez would play LCM alongside Partey in a typical 4-2-3-1.

We were after Martinez, but he turned us down for Man United, and we got Zinchenko instead. Worked out for all really. Because our formation has changed significantly. We dont play 4-2-3-1. we play 4-1-2-3. Xhaka is thriving in his new role doing on the left doing what Odegaard does on the right. And to be honest Martinez would never have been able to play the forward midfield role Xhaka plays.

He is a good player, but he wouldn't fit in with our formation and brand of football.
You have no clue as @Chief123 has pointed out

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
You have to laugh really. Arsenal fans have literally turned their own thread into a Gabriel v Martinez debate by bumping it yesterday after the derby to try and troll United fans on their own forum.

All that it’s done is make everyone realise how little they know.

No one is trying to troll anyone.

Chief123

You felt Martinez could play LCM and your club would spend nearly £60m to buy a player who has barely played that position for Ajax in recent times because he was proven to be a much better CB than CDM. And we are supposed to believe you’ve watched Martinez play when you come out with that logic and then say he’s been found out aerially in the premier league when he literally hasn’t.

TheReligion

Abusive
You felt Martinez could play LCM and your club would spend nearly £60m to buy a player who has barely played that position for Ajax in recent times because he was proven to be a much better CB than CDM. And we are supposed to believe you’ve watched Martinez play when you come out with that logic and then say he’s been found out aerially in the premier league when he literally hasn’t.
:lol:

Castia

Cant wait for Arsenal to finish 6th again this season.

Half a sniff at doing well and the smugness is on another level

TheReligion

Abusive
How on earth did you ever come to that conclusion ? :houllier:
Its interesting as I don’t think there’s one good Arsenal poster on the board.

We have good Chelsea posters like @TheMagicFoolBus and @WeePat, good Liverpool posters like @Klopper76 and even a good City poster with @padr81.

Sadly you lot only appear when you are winning and are unable to be objective in anything whatsoever.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You really are a touchy bunch in here today, I think you are all making a bit too much of this
Ok, I am the 'troll', I responded to a comment I read yesterday afternoon saying they were glad we didn't sign Martinez by saying so am I. Worse trolling is done on an hourly basis on here, fans dig a player, rival fan has a dig back, thought that was par for the course?

You can't be surprised that rival fans might not rate a player YET considering the goals that Utd have been conceding, and it's no great surprise that players rate their own player more?

At no point have I said Martinez is a poor signing. My main point last night was I don't see him as a £50M upgrade on Gabriel. That's all. There's no doubt his height and physicality is a debating point, your own fans have debated it to death, especially on here. Ben White still has the same debate attached to him. Both have many other attributes that still make them very good players.

TheReligion

Abusive
You really are a touchy bunch in here today, I think you are all making a bit too much of this
Ok, I am the 'troll', I responded to a comment I read yesterday afternoon saying they were glad we didn't sign Martinez by saying so am I. Worse trolling is done on an hourly basis on here, fans dig a player, rival fan has a dig back, thought that was par for the course?

You can't be surprised that rival fans might not rate a player YET considering the goals that Utd have been conceding, and it's no great surprise that players rate their own player more?

At no point have I said Martinez is a poor signing. My main point last night was I don't see him as a £50M upgrade on Gabriel. That's all. There's no doubt his height and physicality is a debating point, your own fans have debated it to death, especially on here. Ben White still has the same debate attached to him. Both have many other attributes that still make them very good players.
Reported for confessing to trolling after the derby

Disgusting

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Its interesting as I don’t think there’s one good Arsenal poster on the board.

We have good Chelsea posters like @TheMagicFoolBus and @WeePat, good Liverpool posters like @Klopper76 and even a good City poster with @padr81.

Sadly you lot only appear when you are winning and are unable to be objective in anything whatsoever.
This hurts my friend, we've had good discussions before. I'll try my best to agree with all your points in the future. Remember, don't get me mixed up with Gonner In Peace, I'm sure their user name is ironic.(Sorry GIP) :D

TheReligion

Abusive
This hurts my friend, we've had good discussions before. I'll try my best to agree with all your points in the future. Remember, don't get me mixed up with Gonner In Peace, I'm sure their user name is ironic.(Sorry GIP) :D
Perhaps I’m tarring you all with the same brush but I don’t think the majority of our Arsenal supporting guests (yes you’re all guests here) are particularly endearing hence the stick you all get. This thread for instance is a good example as to why.

Even when United beat Arsenal the very few that showed their faces were in denial and unwilling to say anything positive about United. It’s clear the majority are here to troll and because Arsenal are doing well currently rather than for any genuine footballing discussion. Find that a little sad.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Who is trolling? I haven't seen a single troll post in here. Every post has been trying to have an actual conversation.

It's just bizarre how you think this is trolling. Do you know what trolling is?