Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

Teja

Looked very at home out there, excellent in possession, looks very strong physically, pace, power... Really encouraging debut. Have to keep his age in mind and him having multiple injury issues already, but in the "how do we construct our squad" mindset, he can easily be pencilled in as a guy that can be part of the group if 5 CBs. I'm pretty comfortable with having Lindelof, Evans and Kambwala as backups to Martinez and a new RCB. Give him gametime.
I agree but we also don't have a guy with his profile in the squad.

The plan with ten hag is one CB of the Timber mould and one sitter like Martinez.

The RCB is aggressive, steps up to win the ball on transition, steps into the DM position in the build up, comfortable carrying the ball forward.

LCB is deeper and is usually a good passer.

I think Maguire, Martinez, Evans, Varane all fit that LCB spot. No one really fits that RCB spot.

So it's more like:

- (new guy) / Kambwala
- Martinez / Maguire / Varane / Evans

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If ten Hag can develop him for the first team and Kambwala can show signs of the high potential he showed in France, where he was said to be the captain of the French u17s. Then it could potentially save us money on one CB, because I believe we need two RCBs and one new LCB. So if Kambwala is deemed to be good enough to take one of the RCBs slots as a developmental prospect, then we can possibly focus on signing a Todibo or Ousmane Diomande at RCB and a player at LCB.

Kambwala has suffered alot with injuries in the last few years, which I believe has hampered his development. He was a young prospect with good technical quality and a physically powerful physique, where his pace, power and technical ability along with being aerial dominant, made him standout at youth level . He definitely has the attributes to be a strong channel defender, but he needs games to develop further as a player in a difficult position to play.

So it'll interesting to see what happens with Kambwala, but ten Hag is definitely giving the right young players a chance to stake a claim. And the next step is to raise the physical and athletic level of the team, which requires players who can dominate in large spaces, and Willy Kambwala could potentially be one of those players. The next game is against Villa, and their physical/athletic level is higher than ours in central areas with players like McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Konsa at CB etc providing a strong platform for Emery to push players forward. They also have Moussa Diaby playing centrally in a attacking midfield role or as a split striker and his pace and athleticism could also be a problem for us.

When you can't match teams physically and athletically, then your technical quality weren't make the difference in the current EPL. But if you can match teams physically and athletically, then your superior technical quality will make the difference. This is the problem in our current team and I believe raising the level in that regard will make a significant difference. And young prospects like Kambwala are definitely a step in the right direction in that regard.

Paddymcc

Looked very decent for his age.

Passing was a bit erratic at times and some were massively over hit but he's young and it's a first appearance.

Communication was poor for their goal when he should have been telling Evans to engage and him drop off to sweep.

Abraxas

Did well.

Awkward debut against a very good West Ham attack away from home with an ancient, subpar partner. Yes Evans has experience to help guide a young player but is nowhere near good enough. Something which goes for a lot of the team. So to come out of that with a commendable performance is good.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He has a chance to secure a place in the squad. Varane and Evans are not going to be at United forever, and there are other areas we'd be looking to improve with the limited signings we can make.

Paul778

We need rid of Maguire Lindelof and Evans. There are still rumors about Varane...

Chances are with Jimmy announced we get Todibo now. Quite happy for this guys to be one of the others - he looks solid.

Winrar

Kid has a real chance to break through with number of existing CB options looking shaky for various reasons.

Alemar

Very good that he got a sub appearance today, came on at a vital moment and even managed a very important clearance. Important for his confidence.

bosskeano

kid needs more experience but certainly looks like he could be one for the future as the 3rd choice CB .....

Kostov

That tackle he went through a crowd and got to the ball was so much AWB esque. Loved that, I like this kid I hope he gets more game time.

Borninthe80ts

It’s probably good for him that he has come through almost without fanfare as that should take the pressure off which can be ridiculously high especially for centre backs. He was rated really highly when he came and injuries maybe took the shine off but I think there’s a lot of potential there.

For me I question those saying he is poor on the ball, all players get caught at times and he will progress in this area. He is over a year behind in development so he needs games 100 per cent. Can definitely like other academy players save us money on squad players in the near future.

Alemar

So much of potential. Would love to have our CB options as Varane, Martinez, new signing and this guy going into next season.
But it doesn’t look like Maguire is getting sold - and even if not extended, he will still be here next season as well. That said, Kamwbala is showing promise

aeh1991

I think the best for his development would be to get first team football elsewhere and come back stronger. If we get Todibo, I'd send him to Nice for 2 years with a clause to break the loan in case we have another injury crisis. Would be a win-win situation.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What's the chance he'll start today against this relatively easy opponent?

I hope we continue giving him chances. Probably partnering him with Varane so he can learn more.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What's the chance he'll start today against this relatively easy opponent?

I hope we continue giving him chances. Probably partnering him with Varane so he can learn more.
Maybe if it were a midweek game and not a match where we have several first team players coming back from injury and needing minutes coupled with the fact that we haven't played in weeks. I think EtH will go for the strongest team possible or like a 9 out of 11 available starters.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe if it were a midweek game and not a match where we have several first team players coming back from injury and needing minutes coupled with the fact that we haven't played in weeks. I think EtH will go for the strongest team possible or like a 9 out of 11 available starters.
Make sense, and most likely that. Read that Maguire and Licha are coming back also.

Under SAF, some youngster CB were played as fullback (Smalling, Brown, O'Shea) just to get some game time in easy games like this. So there's that other alternative.

Or if we somewhat in position of ahead by 3 goals or so, he should get his chance. Slim chance, we know that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Make sense, and most likely that. Read that Maguire and Licha are coming back also.

Under SAF, some youngster CB were played as fullback (Smalling, Brown, O'Shea) just to get some game time in easy games like this. So there's that other alternative.

Or if we somewhat in position of ahead by 3 goals or so, he should get his chance. Slim chance, we know that.
I'm hoping we're up by 2 at half time so we can make 5 changes early.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm hoping we're up by 2 at half time so we can make 5 changes early.
It's pretty close. 80th minute change.

What interesting is, he's sub in earlier than Maguire. Hmmm..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Quietly beginning to rack up the minutes. Bit surprised we're introducing him, and introducing him patiently too, as I never felt he stood out that much for the youth sides but he must be impressing the coaches.

Red Rash

Quietly beginning to rack up the minutes. Bit surprised we're introducing him, and introducing him patiently too, as I never felt he stood out that much for the youth sides but he must be impressing the coaches.
I think it was injuries at youth level that was his main problem though right? At least when we signed him he was highly rated.

Probably makes a lot of sense as a 3rd or 4th choice CB as he is young and on relatively low wages with good upside potential.

FerociousCorgis

I think it was injuries at youth level that was his main problem though right? At least when we signed him he was highly rated.

Probably makes a lot of sense as a 3rd or 4th choice CB as he is young and on relatively low wages with good upside potential.
This is exactly the type of player we should have as 4th choice instead of high priced average players who we know dont have much upside. Moving forward want to see more of this and less holding on to average expensive players

Bertie Wooster

This is exactly the type of player we should have as 4th choice instead of high priced average players who we know dont have much upside. Moving forward want to see more of this and less holding on to average expensive players
I agree. Though I guess a slight issue becomes the fact that a young centre back improves by playing - especially things like positional awareness and reading of the game. So keeping them as 4th choice might mean, unless you get plenty of injuries (which, admittedly we invariably do), then they might end up not getting many runs in the team in order to gain that valuable experience in their formative years.

It's one of those tricky ones, similar to young keepers, in that it probably hinders their development to be kept as understudies rather than loaned out getting games. So, whilst they are loaned out, who do you use short term as the understudy until they've gained that experience?

As regards Kambwala though, yeah I'd like to see him make it here. We don't promote many centre backs and there was a lot of hope when we signed him and all the injuries seemed to have scuppered that - so it's great to see him back fit and in and around the first team squad.

FerociousCorgis

I agree. Though I guess a slight issue becomes the fact that a young centre back improves by playing - especially things like positional awareness and reading of the game. So keeping them as 4th choice might mean, unless you get plenty of injuries (which, admittedly we invariably do), then they might end up not getting many runs in the team in order to gain that valuable experience in their formative years.

It's one of those tricky ones, similar to young keepers, in that it probably hinders their development to be kept as understudies rather than loaned out getting games. So, whilst they are loaned out, who do you use short term as the understudy until they've gained that experience?

As regards Kambwala though, yeah I'd like to see him make it here. We don't promote many centre backs and there was a lot of hope when we signed him and all the injuries seemed to have scuppered that - so it's great to see him back fit and in and around the first team squad.
easily plenty of game experience, but our major issue would be that our manager doesnt like to rotate much, especially in lower cup comps. Between EPL, UCL, FA, and League cup, youd see plenty of time for 4 CBs to get gametime, especially when you consider at least one of them will be injured/away at some point pretty much all season.

Bertie Wooster

easily plenty of game experience, but our major issue would be that our manager doesnt like to rotate much, especially in lower cup comps. Between EPL, UCL, FA, and League cup, youd see plenty of time for 4 CBs to get gametime, especially when you consider at least one of them will be injured/away at some point pretty much all season.
True. Good points.

Zoo

Wathched and thoroughly enjoyed that interview this morning. Really hope he makes it here.