Willy Kambwala

mav_9me

Always cringe a bit when black sportspeople are described as "strong" or "athletic".

Been a lot of studies into the language used by journalists, broadcasters, scouts, etc. before and the biases based on race are astounding. White sportspeople more likely to be described as " intelligent " "creative" "technical" etc. whereas "freak" "raw" "strong" "athletic" used for their black colleagues.
True but he really is big, his size is what stands out when you watch the youth teams

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I think this season is a write-off so the more youth players get a chance to impress the better.

Ekeke

Good luck to him today.

Been a bit disappointed with him at youth level backing off and some lapses defensively. And on the ball he seems quite basic, I thought he would have built on that as his highlights video before he joined suggested he was good on the ball. Hes got a thick build so he should have the strength to compete in men's football. Not sure about his mobility which FM tends to rate well but I'm not yet convinced. Has looked sluggish at times to me.

I really hope he puts his best foot forward and performs to a level that he can be very proud of

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s been saying it in the match day thread too. Very bizarre. Literally the OP which has a tweet from 2020 says he was born in 2004. Really weird posts from that guy

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s really being thrown into it today anyway, hopefully he can deal with it. As said above he has the physicality for the senior game but not much else has stood out mainly due the sheer amount of time out he’s had to take. I doubt he’s going to make it here but days like today are obviously a major chance to stake a claim. Best of luck Willy!

DevTheRed

Really excited to see him.. physically good enough for first team football, fast and supposed to be good on the ball too. Should compliment Jonny fairly well.

Lost bear

Not really seen Willy play yet. A difficult debut is a definite potential. The number of defenders out injured or sick is scary!

AndersB

Always cringe a bit when black sportspeople are described as "strong" or "athletic".

Been a lot of studies into the language used by journalists, broadcasters, scouts, etc. before and the biases based on race are astounding. White sportspeople more likely to be described as " intelligent " "creative" "technical" etc. whereas "freak" "raw" "strong" "athletic" used for their black colleagues.
Not to mention the term "beast", which is clearly more used for dark-skinned players. I've always found that very awkward.

tomaldinho1

Best of luck Willy. Putting yourself at the mercy of the notorious ‘player performance’ thread for the first time. He’ll either be Stam reborn or Titus Bramble by 3pm.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Good luck to him today.

Been a bit disappointed with him at youth level backing off and some lapses defensively. And on the ball he seems quite basic, I thought he would have built on that as his highlights video before he joined suggested he was good on the ball. Hes got a thick build so he should have the strength to compete in men's football. Not sure about his mobility which FM tends to rate well but I'm not yet convinced. Has looked sluggish at times to me.

I really hope he puts his best foot forward and performs to a level that he can be very proud of
Cometh the man cometh the hour

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Central defenders are generally not described as technical or creative. Strong is certainly a compliment that fits the position.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I love it when the manager puts faith in youth. Wenger did it. Areteta literally waves two fingers up at ours. The academy should shut down.

Remember the geese

Take your agenda elsewhere.

Red00012

State of this post :lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Oh really....

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
Didn’t expect him to start but his build is already capable to be survive in EPL. Lack of a quick first step and got beaten by opponents several times. Hopefully he is just not conditioned enough yet

Garnacho's Shoelaces

That is exactly what I've done. Pathetic post. Looking for issues where there aren't any.
The point of unconscious bias is you are not aware it exists, so not overly surprised at your denialism.

The player has been selected for more than strength. If that was the only determining factor then Eddie Hall would be a centre half. It's a legitimate comment and well documented.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ls-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

https://www.varsity.co.uk/sport/20446