Willy pulled off at half time

United introduce Big Willy but flaccid in attack

No Dicks for West Ham but United field Big Willy

Willy shoots for the top

Willy explodes in the box

Willy uses his head
Willy shoots on Areola.

Trequarista10

Was described as physically strong yet lost all his duels. Seemed good on the ball though.
The image that he's physically strong originates from when we signed him imo. At 16 he was fairly massive, for a 16 year old, in comparison to other 16 year olds. But there's a big gap between that and the physicality of the PL. Especially for a CB.

My unscientific theory is that it also takes taller players longer to fill out. But that's just a hunch.

goalscholes

First player I thought of regarding intelligence was Saka, and strength was Soucek.

But the first when I thought technical/ creative were Messi/ Modric.

Am I the problem?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We still lost by 2 goals, what's there to praise
Do you think goals conceded just immediately invalidate a player’s performance? Especially if they have zero to do with that player. That’s such a basic ‘bloke down the pub’ opinion to have. Unbelievable people still produce thoughts at this level.

mat85

The point of unconscious bias is you are not aware it exists, so not overly surprised at your denialism.

The player has been selected for more than strength. If that was the only determining factor then Eddie Hall would be a centre half. It's a legitimate comment and well documented.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ls-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

https://www.varsity.co.uk/sport/20446
I'm with you. I understand you were not accusing people of being in the klu klux clan

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Had a good game.

Was good to see him get the ball out of the back of the net and get it up the pitch for the restart. Also was the only person I saw on TV put an arm around Mainoo after his error.

Grande

Tbh, seeing him and Evans in the starting line up, I thought we might well get smothered. Fifth and sixth choice (and debutant) at CB, protected by an 18 year old. West ham have attacking tools to exploit this.

Instead we had control most of the game, and fell for the old schtick when they score on their forst pr second chance, and then on a counter when we have to attack. We didn’t lose this game due to Willy, even if a healthy Varane would have seen us more assured.

If he keeps on developing, maybe in three seasons from now, he could be a useful squad option?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Do you think goals conceded just immediately invalidate a player’s performance? Especially if they have zero to do with that player. That’s such a basic ‘bloke down the pub’ opinion to have. Unbelievable people still produce thoughts at this level.
And yet that’s what virtually everyone did with William Prunier…shit sticks!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I thought he did just fine and looks like a prospect. He was positive from the off.

Hope he makes it here.

lysglimt

Scout
And yet that’s what virtually everyone did with William Prunier…shit sticks!
Well - Prunier was a 30 year old defender who struggled to get game-time at Bordeaux - had a shocking game at Spurs after a decent debut against QPR as I recall - and after leaving United he went to Copenhagen and then a mediocre Montpellier-side. Pruniers problem was that he was really far away from being good enough

khoazany

Anyone that knows what Willy has gone through and not being delighted with that debut... that person must have a very pathetic life.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Had a good game.

Was good to see him get the ball out of the back of the net and get it up the pitch for the restart. Also was the only person I saw on TV put an arm around Mainoo after his error.
I thought he did well. As well as you can do coming into this side.

foolsgold

He was entirely fine, obviously very difficult circumstances to come into the team and a lot was asked of him, frankly more than we should be asking for a teenage 6th choice central defender but I'm hopeful of a bright future for him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I thought he had a pretty good debut, did nothing wrong really and the moments when you notice him was him winning the ball.

Compare that with our usual defenders the past few seasons who are always noticed when they feck things up in the game.

Mr. MUJAC

Well - Prunier was a 30 year old defender who struggled to get game-time at Bordeaux - had a shocking game at Spurs after a decent debut against QPR as I recall - and after leaving United he went to Copenhagen and then a mediocre Montpellier-side. Pruniers problem was that he was really far away from being good enough
My point was he was made a scapegoat for the loss at Spurs when other players were at fault for the goals. Everyone was terrible against spurs but as always people create their own realities.

lysglimt

Scout
My point was he was made a scapegoat for the loss at Spurs when other players were at fault for the goals. Everyone was terrible against spurs but as always people create their own realities.
There were a lot of players who had an awful game that day - but Prunier certainly was among the worst. And as a player who has proved nothing - he will get the majority of the blame.

At 0-0 he was easily beaten by Sheringham at the first post - and Teddy headed against the crossbar
Then he was at fault for the first goal (together with his partner Gary Neville) - both of them allowed Sheringham all the space in the box to score. Prunier wasn't even close to Sheringham on that situation
He was also at fault for the 3-1 goal (not alone) - he forgets his man and Armstrong scores after the ball is headed across goal
And first he loses the duel with Sheringham prior to the 4-1 goal - and then he doesn't manage to stop Sheringhams cross which is headed home by Armstrong

So nah - it't not just peoples realities - he was truly awful in that game. But Prunier was probably never meant to be more than a stop-gap because we had so many players injured (Bruce, Pallister, May and Irwin).

Mr. MUJAC

There were a lot of players who had an awful game that day - but Prunier certainly was among the worst. And as a player who has proved nothing - he will get the majority of the blame.

At 0-0 he was easily beaten by Sheringham at the first post - and Teddy headed against the crossbar
Then he was at fault for the first goal (together with his partner Gary Neville) - both of them allowed Sheringham all the space in the box to score. Prunier wasn't even close to Sheringham on that situation
He was also at fault for the 3-1 goal (not alone) - he forgets his man and Armstrong scores after the ball is headed across goal
And first he loses the duel with Sheringham prior to the 4-1 goal - and then he doesn't manage to stop Sheringhams cross which is headed home by Armstrong

So nah - it't not just peoples realities - he was truly awful in that game. But Prunier was probably never meant to be more than a stop-gap because we had so many players injured (Bruce, Pallister, May and Irwin).
I was at the game and remember the car journey home going over the match. Firstly, Schmeichel was injured and could hardly move in goal. The first goal was the fault of Phil Neville giving the ball away, then as Spurs reached the box Prunier's man made a diagonal run which Prunier ignored and held his position as he should. Paul Parker was marking Sheringham and left him completely giving Prunier and Schmeichel no chance. Schmeichel may have saved it if he was anywhere near fit.

The second goal was Gary Neville's fault making a bad defensive header right to Campbell on the edge of the box. No idea who should have been marking him but Campbell scored through a ruck of players giving the defence little chance.

The third goal was first G. Neville's fault as he failed to defend a cross then as the cross came in Prunier left his man completely.

The fourth goal was Gary Neville's fault initially, ducking under a ball (which he did regularly), Prunier followed his man out wide but the ball was pulled back and Phil Neville didn't even challenge his man who scored at the far post. Prunier couldn't defend a cross that was pulled back...no defender can.

My whole point is not that Prunier was a great player...or he didn't have a bad game against Spurs...it's that everyone makes him a scapegoat for the whole defence being terrible that day with the Neville brothers contributing to all four goals.

And that's fans for you to be fair...they ignore the bad games from their favourites and accentuate the bad games from players they don't like...or as you rightly say players who haven't proved themselves.

Let's hope there is enough common sense (at least in the Reserves Forum) that we don't start blaming young kids for any errors that they might make. :)

ForFuchsSake

If Willy starts today, I’m sure he will he stand firm and strong in the face of what can be a prickly Forest.

KevinJoh

He should definitely start against Wigan if TH has any sense as he proved he can be trusted even in PL game, so why not against team like Wigan.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Sell Lindelof and start playing Kambwala sensible amount of games as a regular squad player, instead of Lindelof

Next year he can become our starting CB.

Easy

Lost bear

Thanks mat85. This forum unfortunately is susceptible to a pile on as soon as someone shares an idea against the grain which promotes a compliant culture and echo chamber of stale ideas.
And yet you’re (mat85) the one who’s supposed to have an agenda!

Bondi77

I would play him and pair him with Evans and that should be enough to cope with a League 1 outfit.
I would keep Varane fit for the Premier league games if possible and if Lisandro and Harry are fit soon then that would be the trio we should be relying on.

khoazany

ETH doesn't do rotation (which is one of the main reason why I think he'll never become a top manager). So I guess best hope for a cameo.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
ETH doesn't do rotation (which is one of the main reason why I think he'll never become a top manager). So I guess best hope for a cameo.
I believe that some Ajax fans did mention that he rarely rotated his team.