Wimbledon 2011

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Mervyn King spending another day at Wimbledon, I see. Has the Bank of England relocated to SW19 or something?

Neutral

BTV
Congrats to Djokovic, he gets a lot of stick but I feel most of it is undeserved. He has a very, very bright future.

Does he get stick?

I thought most of the players on the tour liked him because he was a bit of a joker(with the impersonations and everything), he comes across pretty well in his dealings with the media.

His family come across a bit overeager at times in the box(but fans go mental, surely his immediate family can't be expected to be robots in the box). Plus if people are sick of seeing them, that's not their fault, the tv directors are at fault for looking for them after every point.

Just like the manly looking Pippa Middleton wasn't to blame for the constant attention she got at the tennis this fortnight.

wr8_utd

:'(
He doesn't get any stick really. That's just rubbish.

And it's not his entire box that's irritating but just the brother.

wr8_utd

Rafa to Mcenroe : "Losing the 4 matches this year affected me more than it should"
That's the problem. I said this pre French open as well but Djokovic has really gotten into Nadal's head.

Even in the Nadal interview after the Murray match, you could see a bit of fear and uncertainty in his eyes when he was asked about facing Djoko in the final.

Nadal really needs to do something about it or Djoko will become to Nadal what Nadal is to Federer.

Ixion

Great performance Djokovic, amazing year so far. Hes gonna be hard to stop at the US.

Peasplease

Australia winning the cups that actually matter here though. Boy's singles, Girl's singles, the illustrious over 45's mens invitational doubles, and youngest player in the quarter finals... cup.

mufcwarm92

Djokovic gets a lot of stick now? How :confused:
No he doesn't.
Well he's certainly had a lot of stick throughout his career - much more than most other top tennis players. I assume you're pointing to the fact that it's his entourage that get the stick, but it really isn't/hasn't been just them. It's died down a little since he's really taken off, but I get the impression that a lot of people hear others criticising him and calling him arrogant and take it as gospel, without actually seeing it for themselves. He comes across really well in interviews but I think his passion, ambition and often elaborate celebrations have contributed towards a pretty false image of him.

wr8_utd

Anyway Nadal's two-three mental months of defending points are over. He had around 8000 points to defend and he's successfully defended 6400 of those.

This is nothing compared to the crazy amount of points Djoko is going to be defending over the next 14 months or so though :lol:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Federer being the best chance to stop Novak is just being built out of thin year. Just because he is the only one to beat him this year.

Their head to head record is 14-9 in favour of RF. In that too Federer won the first 4 encounters when the Serb was in his late teens. And before the french semi, Novak had won his last 3 matches with Federer.

wr8_utd

Federer being the best chance to stop Novak is just being built out of thin year. Just because he is the only one to beat him this year.

Their head to head record is 14-9 in favour of RF. In that too Federer won the first 4 encounters when the Serb was in his late teens. And before the french semi, Novak had won his last 3 matches with Federer.
No. Its just that RF's game matches up to Djokovic's more than Nadal's does.

RF is far more aggressive than RN and he a bigger number of cheap points on serve as well.

Nadal is naturally a defensive player and Djokovic is like a mirror image of that so the match up doesn't suit Nadal. He just can't hit through him.
What a glory hunter. He's a Milan fan!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have vuc become a Tennis fan yet?

CheadleBeagle

Federer is a better match up against Djokovic because he is more aggressive than Nadal and has a better serve and a better volley. Nadal beats Federer because of the high balls to the one-handed backhand. All 3 of them have different strengths which makes it interesting. I think if Roger hadn't let Tsonga come back Roger would have beaten Novak and possibly won because I don't think Nadal is as invincible as he used to be. Anyway I'm glad Djokovic won as I don't want Rafa to catch Roger's 16 titles!!

wr8_utd

Federer is a better match up against Djokovic because he is more aggressive than Nadal and has a better serve and a better volley. Nadal beats Federer because of the high balls to the one-handed backhand. All 3 of them have different strengths which makes it interesting. I think if Roger hadn't let Tsonga come back Roger would have beaten Novak and possibly won because I don't think Nadal is as invincible as he used to be. Anyway I'm glad Djokovic won as I don't want Rafa to catch Roger's 16 titles!!
If Fed had beaten Tsonga I'm sure he would have beaten Djokovic and I think Nadal would have beaten Fed.

That's why I was supporting Federer in his match vs Tsonga :p

CheadleBeagle

If Fed had beaten Tsonga I'm sure he would have beaten Djokovic and I think Nadal would have beaten Fed.

That's why I was supporting Federer in his match vs Tsonga :p
I honestly think Roger would have had a chance this time against Nadal as I don't think Rafa is playing as well as he used to. I don't see Rafa lasting and being a force in the game when he is 29/30 like Roger still is as Rafa's style of play is killing him.

CheadleBeagle

Great performance Djokovic, amazing year so far. Hes gonna be hard to stop at the US.
I agree although Del Potro may have a say there. I also think Roger will be close as always and Nadal will also be there so there will be 4 of them with a good shot at it. I just don't see Murray in the mix as I just don't think he is aggressive enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Federer has a better chance against Djokovic than Nadal because he attacks rather than persists.

If anyone ever beats Federer's record Grandslams I hope it's an attacking (and hence in my mind entertaining) tennis player. Don't know who of that mould is coming through the ranks. For example, Tsonga is a smashing player to watch (this is something I've noticed very recently :lol:) but he's 26.

wr8_utd

Novak Djokovic has created history. First male tennis player to win a Grand Slam and become World Number 1 while being on Twitter.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
There is no way Murray is ever going to win a grand slam if Novak, Nadal and Federer are in the last four. He cannot beat any of them. He is such a hyped up, piece of shit player.

amolbhatia50k

There is no way Murray is ever going to win a grand slam if Novak, Nadal and Federer are in the last four. He cannot beat any of them. He is such a hyped up, piece of shit player.
He'll never be better than them but he can win a grand-slam. It's not as if ability wise he's incapable of beating them. Tsonga just beat Federer. Shit happens. If he can sort himself out mentally he has a grand slam in him.

crappycraperson

Scout
Sorry Federer game being more suited to Novak than Nadal does not transalte as him beating the Serb when he is such a superlative form. Yes it happened in French but in Australian Novak beat him as well. If anyone saw Djokovic against Tsonga, they won't be saying Federer would have beaten him. Tsonga actually played better in semi than in his match against Federer, Djokovic was just that good to beat him in 4.

crappycraperson

Scout
Murray will end up winning a GS or two when Nadal is off injured and Djokovic is going through an off color spell. But yeah, he is not good enough to beat either of those three when they are at their peak.

Ixion

Yeah I think Murray has a chance at a couple of Slams, Nadal will inevitabley miss a couple through injuries and Federer will be less of a factor over the next few years. He has the game to beat them but needs that first Slam to sort his head out.

vuc

First Team Serb
Well done Djokovic! Great performance, and a deserved victory.

He has had a lot of stick, 'Choke-a-vitch', 'Joke-a-vitch' etc. So whoever brought that up was right - a lot of that was bought on to himself, but also some of it was undeserved.

That's all irrelevant now, because since the Davis Cup win for Serbia, he has been a complete machine. I would have him as favourite for the US, and I think he will win it.

crappycraperson

Scout
All the choke talk is non sense. He is playing in the era of two all time greats. So it obvious he was not gonna win a whole lotta GSs when not at his peak.

Brophs

The One and Only
Well done Djokovic! Great performance, and a deserved victory.

He has had a lot of stick, 'Choke-a-vitch', 'Joke-a-vitch' etc. So whoever brought that up was right - a lot of that was bought on to himself, but also some of it was undeserved.

That's all irrelevant now, because since the Davis Cup win for Serbia, he has been a complete machine. I would have him as favourite for the US, and I think he will win it.
Very balanced assessment. A lot of the stuff was his own fault, such as issues over his fitness and pulling out of matches. Maybe some of the rest of it was judging him by unfair standards.

But he's the best player in the world at the mo so there's nothing negative you could really say about his game.

amolbhatia50k

Sorry Federer game being more suited to Novak than Nadal does not transalte as him beating the Serb when he is such a superlative form. Yes it happened in French but in Australian Novak beat him as well. If anyone saw Djokovic against Tsonga, they won't be saying Federer would have beaten him. Tsonga actually played better in semi than in his match against Federer, Djokovic was just that good to beat him in 4.
Who said that? His game is better equipped to take him on is what most have said.

vuc

First Team Serb
Very balanced assessment. A lot of the stuff was his own fault, such as issues over his fitness and pulling out of matches. Maybe some of the rest of it was judging him by unfair standards.

But he's the best player in the world at the mo so there's nothing negative you could really say about his game.
Not what you'd expect from the Bias Serb right?

I think he had a lot of problems, his breathing, his racquet and injuries.

But what didn't help him is the many matches where he would have medical time outs and the fact he basically gave up in some matches - To be fair I was angry with him at some point too..

The only negative I can think of is his volley - which although he won a lot of points today from, he still made a few unforced errors also. His best (or one of his best traits) is the ability to switch from defensive mode to offensive mode.