Wimbledon 2011

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That second set was a nigh on flawless set of Tennis. He destroyed Nadal, the best player of the last 3 years, and one of the greats, on the biggest stage...Completely deserved title for Djokovic.

wr8_utd

:'(
Djoko was very good in the North American HC season last year and brilliant at the USO. Saving those match points and then beating Federer was a real turning point.

Mockney

We all knew he was the form player, but I really didn't expect that...The way he completely owned Nadal from game 10 until the end of the 2nd was incredible. He completely battered him. Phenomenal game from Novak...I thought it'd be much tighter, and I though Nadal had gotten his fitness & game back after the Murray match. Nope, Djoko raped him for periods there. A lot of errors from Rafa, but a lot of them forced by Novaks fantastic hitting.

Eating the grass was a nice touch too I thought....If a little mental.

wr8_utd

We all knew he was the form player, but I really didn't expect that...The way he completely owned Nadal from game 10 until the end of the 2nd was incredible. He completely battered him. Phenomenal game from Novak...I thought it'd be much tighter, and I though Nadal had gotten his fitness & game back after the Murray match. Nope, Djoko raped him for periods there. A lot of errors from Rafa, but a lot of them forced by Novaks fantastic hitting.
It wasn't about fitness or form, Nadal just can't play his game vs Djoko.

It also helps that Djoko's defense is absolutely incredible now and Nadal can't attack his backhand because it's very strong.

I expected Djokovic to win in 3 or 4 today but I didn't expect that 2nd set from Nadal. He was just completely hammered.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Some people are too hung up on match ups. It is as if Nadal has never beaten Djokovic or stands no chance to beat him again. Novak is at his absolute peak right now, Nadal is in his prime but not his absolute best form. Nadal will beat Novak again in coming years be it in finals or semis.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I don't really like Djokovic. Seems like a bit of a whiner. He's quite good at this tennis thing though.

wr8_utd

Some people are too hung up on match ups. It is as if Nadal has never beaten Djokovic or stands no chance to beat him again. Novak is at his absolute peak right now, Nadal is in his prime but not his absolute best form. Nadal will beat Novak again in coming years be it in finals or semis.
Nadal won 3 Slams last year and has reached the final of every single tournament (apart from Queens and the Aussie Open) that he's played this year so I think he's pretty much in his best form but there's no shame in admitting that right now this particular match up just doesn't suit Nadal.

vuc

First Team Serb

Eating the grass was a nice touch too I thought....If a little mental.
Well said. The thing is Nadal was hitting the ball very well for large portions of the match, but Djokovic was not only returning but putting Nadal under pressure with them returns - thereby forcing a mistake or a winner from Djokovic.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I don't really like Djokovic. Seems like a bit of a whiner. He's quite good at this tennis thing though.
Each to their own but i cant see how anyone could dislike Djokovic. I think he's a fantastic personality. He seems so happy-go-lucky, always actin the joker. His impersonations are endearing, and his style of tennis is great to watch.

mjs020294

Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are the best three players to be active at the same time for me. Nadal will almost certainly move up the majors chart and surpass Sampras, and I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic gets into double figures.

Brophs

The One and Only
Not what you'd expect from the Bias Serb right?

I think he had a lot of problems, his breathing, his racquet and injuries.

But what didn't help him is the many matches where he would have medical time outs and the fact he basically gave up in some matches - To be fair I was angry with him at some point too..

The only negative I can think of is his volley - which although he won a lot of points today from, he still made a few unforced errors also. His best (or one of his best traits) is the ability to switch from defensive mode to offensive mode.
:lol: I thought you'd be swinging from the rafters tonight, tbh.

But yeah, I've never seen anyone hit the sort of defensive shots he was today (and has been all season). He'd defend a ball on the stretch bouncing in or around his baseline and hit a deep shot onto the line and completely kill Nadal's momentum. And a lot of those shots were the sorts other players would only just get thir frame on.

vuc

First Team Serb
:lol: I thought you'd be swinging from the rafters tonight, tbh.

But yeah, I've never seen anyone hit the sort of defensive shots he was today (and has been all season). He'd defend a ball on the stretch bouncing in or around his baseline and hit a deep shot onto the line and completely kill Nadal's momentum. And a lot of those shots were the sorts other players would only just get thir frame on.
Well, with any luck in the next hour or so we may have a celebration serbian style. Still waiting on details.

Indeed, the ability to get that defensive shot so far up the baseline is something that pressurises the opponent greatly. Nadal is great at this, he does it a lot to Djokovic, but he just has an answer for nearly every one of his shots.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Well said. The thing is Nadal was hitting the ball very well for large portions of the match, but Djokovic was not only returning but putting Nadal under pressure with them returns - thereby forcing a mistake or a winner from Djokovic.
Yup, Rafa was hitting shots which would normally be winners but Djokovic would return them and always with enough depth to keep the rally going, there were very few easy winners for Rafa

crappycraperson

Scout
Nadal won 3 Slams last year and has reached the final of every single tournament (apart from Queens and the Aussie Open) that he's played this year so I think he's pretty much in his best form but there's no shame in admitting that right now this particular match up just doesn't suit Nadal.
That does not make much sense to me. Djokovic is in better form right now and better this year than Nadal, it is simple as that. When Nadal was beating him, was the match up suiting him? Or since Djokovic has beaten every single player in ATP this season, is that all about match ups as well?

crappycraperson

Scout
Yup, Rafa was hitting shots which would normally be winners but Djokovic would return them and always with enough depth to keep the rally going, there were very few easy winners for Rafa
Yeah, Djokovic's court coverage was better than Nadal. First time I have ever seen that!

Mockney

Plus he deserves it for being involved in probably the 3 best points of the whole tournament..And in the same game!

fecking computer game Tennis!

wr8_utd

That does not make much sense to me. Djokovic is in better form right now and better this year than Nadal, it is simple as that. When Nadal was beating him, was the match up suiting him? Or since Djokovic has beaten every single player in ATP this season, is that all about match ups as well?
That's the problem though. Nadal has never really been "beating" Djokovic. He beat him a couple of times on clay and at Wimby but Djoko almost always has caused Nadal trouble. And now with an improved defense, serve and mental strength it makes it even harder.

Djokovic does to Nadal what Nadal does to everyone. He'll chase everything down and turns defense into attack very well which is why Nadal struggles againt him now. RN is not a naturally attacking player which is why he struggles against Novak when he has to hit through him.

Novak being 5-0 up vs Nadal this year (on all three surfaces) surely show that he's struggling with this particular match up. Infact even RN said something to that effect today.

wr8_utd

Yeah, Djokovic's court coverage was better than Nadal. First time I have ever seen that!
You've probably just answered why Nadal can't play Novak atm.

It's like facing a superior, mirror image of himself!

But as RN said, Djokovic will have a period where his level drops and he'll be there to take advantage :)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Plus he deserves it for being involved in probably the 3 best points of the whole tournament..And in the same game!

fecking computer game Tennis!
The second point in this video is ridiculous. Easily the most entertaining match of the Wimbledon.

wr8_utd

I think JMDP vs Nadal, Hewitt vs Soderling, Tomic vs Novak and Tsonga vs Novak were the best matches of the tournament.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
The Nadal-Djokovic rivalry will go down as one of the greatest, if not the greatest tennis rivalries of all time. They're both in their mid-20s and have already played against eachother a remarkable 28 times :eek:

The high level of tennis these days is beyond ridiculuous.

Incredible match earlier this year on hard court.

I can't wait for the US Open!

vuc

First Team Serb
The Nadal-Djokovic rivalry will go down as one of the greatest, if not the greatest tennis rivalries of all time. They're both in their mid-20s and have already played against eachother a remarkable 28 times :eek:

The high level of tennis these days is beyond ridiculuous.

Incredible match earlier this year on hard court.

I can't wait for the US Open!
I was at this match.

Indeed it is. Any of the top level players today would have demolished any of the greats from the early years. Watching that Fred Perry reel before the match, and you could see just how much things have changed and any top level player today should have had no problem in winning - I don't think it's being disrespectful either, it's just a testament to how much the game has changed.

Back of the Times claims that Nadal has a hairline fracture of that foot and won't play for six weeks

Stretch

Fed's too old for this shit. Them young boys killing it. So I'm a Fed to Djoko convert. :cool:

Damn right I'm a glory hunter

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is no way Murray is ever going to win a grand slam if Novak, Nadal and Federer are in the last four. He cannot beat any of them. He is such a hyped up, piece of shit player.
Murray's record vs. Djokovoc: 3-6, with Djokovic winning the first 4 encounters.

Murray's record vs. Nadal: 4-12, with Nadal winning the first 5 encounters.

Murray's record vs. Federer: 8-6.

Obviously not flying against any of the three but has shown that he can stand toe-to-toe.

Has destroyed JMDP and Tsonga and now has a superior record against Gasquet too.

He's a bit overhyped sure but he's a great player, with a lot to his game and is more than capable of winning a slam. Maybe if the british media and public backed off a bit, he'd have an even better chance.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Novak is a legend!

Currently on stage in Belgrade singing with a live band and dancing, together with his entire family and other relatives in front of a massive crowd.

Fantastic party!

vuc

First Team Serb
The partying will go on through on the night, but Djokovic had to cut it off early - He needs to leave for Sweden tomorrow, and needs to be sober :lol:

wr8_utd

Murray's never really destroyed Del Po. They've all been extremely tight games and he really turned good during the North American HC season in 2009 just before his USO win.