Wimbledon 2013

Brophs

The One and Only
Murray should turn a knighthood down, if offered. That'd show 'em how Scottish he is. Speaking of which, am I wrong or are less people turning them down nowadays?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Murray should turn a knighthood down, if offered. That'd show 'em how Scottish he is. Speaking of which, am I wrong or are less people turning them down nowadays?
Danny Boyle turned one down. My respect for the man went up massively.

Name Changed

weso26
Well done Murray. He's finally won Wimbledon.

But still, Djokovic, straight set defeat?!! I did not expect that at all. A world number one should not lose a final in straight sets at his supposed peak age and fitness. And it's not even the French where he generally isn't as good. Huge blow for Djokovic, this.
Djokovic will be back. Sometimes this happens, even the best players lose matches in straight sets. It's happened before and it will happen again.

Sometimes the opponent is better. Murray was awesome.

Djokovic is still number one.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Yep, as far as the rankings go, Novak is miles ahead and will be for some time to come.

VP

Amazing time for men's tennis. Four different Grand Slam winners last year and could be repeated again if Del Po or Fed get lucky in the US.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Murray is the best British player for 70 odd years. Ofcourse he will be offered a knighthood at some point. And he will certainly deserve it.

It's pointless to compare him as a to other sportsmen in other sports when determining his suitability for a knighthood. He has excelled in his sport and has achieved what no other British man has done in decades. It's not only Wimbledon Britain hadn't won a Grand Slam in decades.

Bread

They did a documentary and denied the stories made by the paper a couple of days before Wimbledon, seriously? I can't believe that, surely not to improve his image? Come on now, you surely don't buy into a documentary so quickly like that because he said so? Of course he isn't going to say that was all true before the biggest tennis tournament of the year. Whether it is 100% true or not, we will never know. But why would quite a few national papers report this sort of thing not only once, but on several occasions on different instances? I congratulate him for his victory; he was the better player and rose to the moment unlike Novak. But I don't think I will ever be able to support him because of his previous actions. Also, he's as British as the queen as I am Superman.
Absolute horseshit, grow up.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Amazing time for men's tennis. Four different Grand Slam winners last year and could be repeated again if Del Po or Fed get lucky in the US.
I've thought that Fed will never win another Slam and what I've seen this last fortnight has confirmed it for me. His best chance will always be Wimbledon but the way he went out this year was pretty weak. He'll still be getting to QF's etc I think but he is now some distance behind the top 2 and Rafa when he's fit.

DelPo can certainly beat the very best on a hard court, he's proved that in the past. If he brings his form into that he'll be very difficult even for Murray or Novak to beat.

Traub

Bitter cnuts like you certainly detract from it, yes.
:lol: why?

Do the ABU's detract from United winning? I think it makes it better. It was a genuine question though, whether you identify with fellow Brits as much as you do fellow Englishman etc.

Traub

The questions need to be asked about Traub rather than by Traub. Windup or did you think Murray was English? Either way, why are you bitter? AntiEnglish or AntiBritish?

I actually though you where the poster who supported Ghana (in wc2010) despite being from a different African country. But maybe that was someone else
I think people are misinterpreting the question a bit. For example, I was supporting Ghana as they were from Africa. Having said that, I'd much rather South Africa won than Ghana. And if Ghana had won the World Cup, I'd expect the people of Ghana to have more pride than those from other African countries.

The only question I was really asking was whether it genuinely feels the same or not.

EDIT: btw, I wouldn't say it's bitter. It's rather how over the top non Scots seem to go because he is British. That's why I actually asked the question - if English/welsh etc can be interchanged with British and you would feel the same then I suppose my bitterness would fall away.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think people are misinterpreting the question a bit. For example, I was supporting Ghana as they were from Africa. Having said that, I'd much rather South Africa won than Ghana. And if Ghana had won the World Cup, I'd expect the people of Ghana to have more pride than those from other African countries.

The only question I was really asking was whether it genuinely feels the same or not.
Ah, it was you! I have no problem with you supporting Ghana (but obviously hoping SA did better)

As for your question... It feels no different to many of us. Perhaps even to most of us. It might be being ruined slightly by the England-only brigade. To the England-only brigade, there is a lot of bitterness (which got worse and worse as the tournament went along, last year too). Part of it is understandable, the scotts and welsh can be quite bitter themselves.

For most normal people, there is no difference.

Sam

I really hope all the Murray-hatters are having a wonderful day...

:lol::lol::lol:

Traub

Ah, it was you! I have no problem with you supporting Ghana (but obviously hoping SA did well)

As for your question... It feels no different to many of us. Perhaps even to most of us. It's perhaps being ruined slightly by the England-only brigade. To the England-only brigade, there is a lot of bitterness (which got worse and worse as the tournament went along, last year too). Part of it is understandable, the scotts and welsh can be quite bitter themselves.

For most normal people, there is no difference.
Ok, then I suppose the over the top-ness is actually not actually over the top. I was under the impression that there was quite a rift within Great Britain - especially with Scotland which is what made it seem over the top or convenient for a better description.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Is there any point in having a Sports Personality of the Year vote this year?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
feck YEAHHHH!!!!!

COme on Andy!!!

i woke up this morning, and i knew i had the football at 2pm, but totally forgot about the final...

suddenly i remember, turn on the TV, and paff..... triple match point Murray!!! i was happy (and sad for missing such a game) but then... feck!! Djokovic save the MP's... i thought for a moment, maybe i am the reason Murray always lost!! haha... but nah... he close it, full of nerves, but won it.

The US Open will be crazy...

with Rafa, Nole, Andy and Del Potro

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Absolutely delighted for Murray and couldn't give a toss about this Scottish/English/British thing.

Some people just need to grow up. Oh well, no skin off my nose that their own sad attitude robs them of being able to celebrate a great win.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well done, Andy. Amazing victory. :)

psychdelicblues

Murray played a great game today, there is not doubt about it at all. He used the crowd to inspire him, and he took every opportunity given to him, there was no other winner.

But... To me, he will never be a Brit. He is, and always will be, Scottish. Not that I have anything against the Scottish, it is that he does not associate himself with being British, but rather with being Scottish. His statements from before where he claimed to be purely Scottish at a younger age don't just leave like that: he was most probably told by a PR agent to change his stance about his views, and that going down his Proud Scottish heritage will not win over the fans at Wimbledon. I am now at that age of which he had first made those statements, and a lot of people blame him doing that due to his naivety at that age (21 years old). That is a complete load of bollocks too; he is just as mature in terms of intelligence and decision making as he is now, and saying those sort of things cannot be excused from. This was what I wanted to say to all those people who don't "understand" all those Murray haters, and I hope my explanation covered all the feelings of those people as well as possible opinions towards his demeanor and attitude on court which can be off putting too.

He fully deserved this final. He made so few errors, won all those passing shots and fed off the crowd. But to me, he will always be a Scot in his heart, and he won this for Scotland, not for Britain.

Rant over.

He was born in Dunblane, Scotland, which means he is no less British then some part-time tennis fan who was born in, let's say, in Eastborne, England.
You might not like his persona or the way he plays tennis, or the fact he does not display his Britishness to your liking, that does not mean he is any less British. That last bit in bold, just rounds off a truly dreadful post.

EvilChuck

Yeah just saw that too. Who are these fools? Donated quenns prize or was that a WUM too?
From what I understand, he did actually donate his Queen's prize, and what's happened is that someone retweeted that news today and it was picked up on twitter by idiots who thought it was current news

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I give credit to Murray, the desire and the will to win was incredible today.

That said Djokovic was pretty abysmal. He made over 40 unforced errors and many times he let Murry back into the point. He couldn't close the point, yes a lot of that is Murray's determination to stay in the point but normally Djokovic puts those winners away all the time.

Murray should enjoy the celebrations they are deserved. Djokovic will be back, he is still the better player IMO and on another day it would have been different.
He seemed oddly tired and unfocused. Murray playing well and the raucous Davis Cup atmosphere effectively sealed the deal.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Murray was certainly on a mission this year when you take into account his specific preparations for Wimbledon and they at the expense of another Slam. To not only focus like that but then see it through deserves much credit.

That being said i suspect that he personally will have enjoyed or felt more personal pride in his achievements of 2012 as opposed to Wimbledon in and of itself.

It would be nice to think that with this triumph that the media might be more reasonable in their treatment of Andy and also Laura in the future, nice but not all that likely i suppose.

I was trying to find a good highlights montage for the last fortnight yet came up empty, in the meantime for those with access to iPlayer here are the highlights of Sabine's victory over Serena :) :: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod..._Highlights_Serena_Williams_v_Sabine_Lisicki/

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Murray didnt have the easiest of semis either. That went to 4 sets too.

Either way Djokovic is at his peak fitness and is possibly the fittest of the top players. Some of his decision making was really poor on the big points and his serve has to be better. He looked way too easy to break. Murray was great but Djokovic was hugely disappointing.

If you look at the match as a whole, both players looked susceptible to being broken (and it happened to both regularly). I think it's the result of both being brilliant returners, but also both having very attackable second serves.

Djokovic lost it through the number of unforced errors he made during rallies - that said, the rallies they were involved in were absolutely gruelling.

What struck me most about the match is Murray's defensive play - he's the best around when it comes to chasing lost causes and keeping the rally alive.

A brief aside: this Murray-Djokovic rivalry will never produce the same entertainment levels as the Federer-Nadal competition because their styles are so closely matched - it was a massive baseline slugfest at times. The moments of real intrigue came when Djokovic drew Murray from the baseline with his dropshots, but they were relatively few and far between.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What I like is that he went to Spain to get the coaching. The L.T.A. is a disgrace. It's like Andy won in and has stuck two fingers up, he won it despite them. This is now the time to get coaches into schools and have more public tennis courts, but the L.T.A. won't do that. Why don't they make it easier for kids to play tennis not more elitist.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Really happy for Andy, to finally win Wimbledon with the expectation behind you like he did takes some bottle.

Djokovic wasn't all there at all, I'm sure playing a 5 hour match that finished less than 48 hours before the final doesn't help, but that's the price you pay for that.

Fantastically gracious in defeat as well, I'm sure he has earned himself some new fans with his comments in the post match interview.