Wimbledon 2013

Drifter

American
Yes both as bad as each other.Wish they'd leave the young man alone ,i'm sure he just wants to play his tennis.

StuCol

Chimp
Adrian Durham thinks it's the greatest ever sporting achievement by a Brit.

:lol:

Slight overstatement me thinks. Fantastic achievement though. Was funny when Goughy reeled off that long list of equal or greater achievements

Drifter

American
Durham talks so much bollocks, I am sure in those radio archives there is a show where he slags of Murray saying he's no better than Henman and will never win Wimbledon.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
What I like is that he went to Spain to get the coaching. The L.T.A. is a disgrace. It's like Andy won in and has stuck two fingers up, he won it despite them. This is now the time to get coaches into schools and have more public tennis courts, but the L.T.A. won't do that. Why don't they make it easier for kids to play tennis not more elitist.
It's a problem throughout all sports DT, not just tennis. Despite the level of grassroots funding increasing since the Olympics for the vsast majority of sports, the effects of this are not being seen to filter through to encourage more involvement in sports. It's a huge, huge gripe of mine (seeing as I witness first hand the same issues in table tennis coaching) and a major flaw in the grassroots coaching of all sports. There is not enough funding available to fund dedicated coaches for every reasonably large club. Funding a child in sport, buying equipment and coaching hours etc, is unbelievably expensive and the state of sport in this country will not change if coaching is not subsidised.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Aye, well done for winning it, but shit like being knighted? Massive overreaction. No-one will care when the footy season starts.
Wiggins was knighted for his achievement. Seems absurd though. Especially when they are still competing in their sports.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
The flag was well over the permitted size for spectators, tsk tsk. Salmond attempted to hijack the victory for his political means. If people wanted wave Scottish flags in the crowd as fans then fine but this was a totally loaded gesture. You have to ask yourself if Andy Murray would want to leave the Union anyway. He lives in London, makes millions more through sponsorship by being British and he gets impassioned home support at the biggest and most prestigious tennis tournament that there is.

I think knighting him would be an absolute joke. I admire him for being the excellent tennis player that he is but he has won two slams. Federer has won 17 FFS. How can we aspire to having a nation of truly elite sporting capabilities if we hand out our highest honours for being 4th best? Murray has never been the number 1 player in the world! This time it is Cameron hijacking a sporting success for his own parties political image. Fair play to Murray for his considerable achievements but he does not deserve the highest honour in the country because we have been fecking shit at tennis for 77 years!

EvilChuck

I can't believe their pushing for knighthood already. Oh well good luck to him.

I know, its too much too soon, he's only 26 ffs, but people tend to be living in the now. Realistically he should get a CBE/OBE or something, and save the knighthood for when his career ends to celebrate his whole career. At this rate he'll end up as King Andy Murray.

Abbsta

I know, its too much too soon, he's only 26 ffs, but people tend to be living in the now. Realistically he should get a CBE/OBE or something, and save the knighthood for when his career ends to celebrate his whole career. At this rate he'll end up as King Andy Murray.
I'm not even sure about CBE/OBE. He won 2 titles I think so he's the same as Hoy or Redgrave? he is not even close to Giggs! Today's scene and the PM's crib is too much you'd think he one the war :rolleyes:.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Why shouldn't he be knighted? Wiggans got one for cycling through the French countryside.

Murray's won 2 slams and an Olympic Gold. in spite of the facilities Britain offers up for Tennis, it's quite an inspirational achievement and whether people want to admit it or not it's mammoth giving the pressure that has been on him. Neither Hoy or Wiggins have had to deal with the pressure he has continuously.

Knighthood's might be doled out like penny sweets these days, but I don't see why Murray shouldn't get the same treatment as some of the other professional sportsmen.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not even sure about CBE/OBE. He won 2 titles I think so he's the same as Hoy or Redgrave? he is not even close to Giggs! Today's scene and the PM's crib is too much you'd think he one the war :rolleyes:.

It's a completely different situation though. Britain has been starved of success in tennis for generation upon generation now, despite it being a world renowned sport with it's most prestigious event being held in Britain.

Hoy and Wiggins have been successful but they're two of many different successful British cyclists and it's a sport where Britain haven't really been properly starved of success.

The Giggs comparison is ridiculous too. Giggs has won more titles, but he's in a team sport. Take him out of our team and we'd still have won most of the trophies we have in Fergie's era, despite his undoubted ability as a player. Murray's been on his own for top British players in tennis and winning a GS on your own in a competitive era is a much more difficult task than being in a winning side. The impact Murray will have on the future of British tennis cannot be underestimated either.

Abbsta

Pressure is due to the media so that's not the other athletes fault. I'm not belittling his achievements - I'm only saying not yet.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Pressure is due to the media so that's not the other athletes fault. I'm not belittling his achievements - I'm only saying not yet.

what's that got to do with anything? The pressure is on him, more so than others, that's what matters.

Abbsta

It's a completely different situation though. Britain has been starved of success in tennis for generation upon generation now, despite it being a world renowned sport with it's most prestigious event being held in Britain.

Hoy and Wiggins have been successful but they're two of many different successful British cyclists and it's a sport where Britain haven't really been properly starved of success.

The Giggs comparison is ridiculous too. Giggs has won more titles, but he's in a team sport. Take him out of our team and we'd still have won most of the trophies we have in Fergie's era, despite his undoubted ability as a player. Murray's been on his own for top British players in tennis and winning a GS on your own in a competitive era is a much more difficult task than being in a winning side. The impact Murray will have on the future of British tennis cannot be underestimated either.
Being in a team sport is not a main condition I think. He is still performing at the highest level so that too is an inspiration.

And he's not really on his own though is he. He plays on his own but he's got a whole team to condition him and a hot babe to get his mojo going when he needs it. You want to impress me solo... do what Ellen MacArthur did for example.

Like I said I'm not denying him any accolades but a knighthood is a big jump imo.

Abbsta

what's that got to do with anything? The pressure is on him, more so than others, that's what matters.
OK pressure by whom? Personal pressure is expected from any person who wants to achieve something. What's happens to the next british kid who wins Wimbledon? Oh sorry mate you got to wait X amount of time.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Being in a team sport is not a main condition I think. He is still performing at the highest level so that too is an inspiration.

And he's not really on his own though is he. He plays on his own but he's got a whole team to condition him and a hot babe to get his mojo going when he needs it. You want to impress me solo... do what Ellen MacArthur did for example.

Like I said I'm not denying him any accolades but a knighthood is a big jump imo.

Yes, it might be an inspiration and he might still be at the highest level, but the expectation and pressure on him alone is simply not the same. Giggs isn't the most talented British footballer since the 1930s, unlike Murray. Think of our Champions League finals in comparison to the Wimbledon final yesterday. All of the focus was on Murray, while the focus on Giggs in our CL final years was relatively minimal in comparison. Giggs deserves one at some point in my opinion, but using his trophy count over Murray's is a very flawed way of saying Murray doesn't deserve one.

And yes, he is on his own. He might have a coaching team etc but the fact is that when he goes onto the court, he's the one who is playing the tennis, and he's the one who all of the pressure is applied to. His coaching team can do all they want, but he's the one who has to go out there and win matches. A footballer is part of a team and a poor performance from him alone in a final doesn't mean his team will lose, unlike in tennis.

The girlfriend argument is nonsense considering the majority of sportstars nowadays have their own wags. It's completely irrelevant.

Waldner

A knighthood is the pinnacle of recognition for anyone. They've been handed out to anyone and their dog recently - they should be reserved for only those most deserving of them. To hand one out to Andy Murray, as good as he is, just because he's won a tournament (because lets face it, that's all Wimbledon is) would be a total farce. There are so many people more deserving of both a knighthood and the PM's media interviews.

surf

A knighthood is the pinnacle of recognition for anyone. They've been handed out to anyone and their dog recently - they should be reserved for only those most deserving of them. To hand one out to Andy Murray, as good as he is, just because he's won a tournament (because lets face it, that's all Wimbledon is) would be a total farce. There are so many people more deserving of both a knighthood and the PM's media interviews.
Great user name, Waldner. Now there was a player who should be given a knighthood.

Waldner

Great user name, Waldner. Now there was a player who should be given a knighthood.
He's a hero in Sweden I think, I'd imagine he got the equivalent over there. Or will do in time.

Claymore

Well Henman never got to a final of a slam let alone Wimbledon, only got to rank 4 once and won 11 singles titles. Murray has nearly trippled the titles, won the US and now won the daddy of the all. He's also been number 2 in a stronger era. Henman has an OBE so Murray has surely got to get something better than that at least!!

On Alex Salmond, what a bell end he is. Did he go all red with anger when Murray talked to Sue about British? The flag and size was way over the top, thought it at the time of watching it. Surprised he even wants him to play in England!!!

IrishLegend

How some of them got there's and people like Giggs (and the affair thing really isn't an issue as I'm damn sure there are a few knights/dames who's had affairs out there) and Victoria Pendleton didn't get one baffles me.

If Murray wins a few more grandslams and retires then i'd be all for it.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Murray's two major championship wins dwarfs Federer's seventeen but he is the only British men's winner in the open era. The last time a Brit won a major was Perry in the '36 US open. Everything is relative. It is a significant achievement for a person of British origin. He broke the shackles with the US open win last year and won the grand daddy of it all last Sunday.

I am not a Brit, so it is not for me to judge whether he should be knighted or not. IMO, it won't be undeserved.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
If knighthoods are to be given for sporting achievements, then I think Andy Murray deserves one as much as anyone else who's had one. People mention Giggs, but I think people are underestimating what Murray's Wimbledon win means for the majority of the country. Giggs's achievements are well recognised by football fans, but for lots of people, he is just some figure who they know to be revered for a decorated career they haven't followed. Where Murray is concerned, his victory was embraced by the whole of the country (or as close to it as you can get through sport). Winning Wimbledon after all this time is just about the biggest thing a British sportsperson could have done.

Zen

Even when he wins, Chris Froome still gets jobbed. Poor kid.

Waldner

If knighthoods are to be given for sporting achievements, then I think Andy Murray deserves one as much as anyone else who's had one. People mention Giggs, but I think people are underestimating what Murray's Wimbledon win means for the majority of the country. Giggs's achievements are well recognised by football fans, but for lots of people, he is just some figure who they know to be revered for a decorated career they haven't followed. Where Murray is concerned, his victory was embraced by the whole of the country (or as close to it as you can get through sport). Winning Wimbledon after all this time is just about the biggest thing a British sportsperson could have done.
Why though? He's not the best in the world, he's literally won one tournament of note for the British public (ok, there's the Olympics too). Give him one at the end of his career, fine. Let him become the type of success you should be to receive a knighthood first! But for Cameron to come out with 'I can't think of anyone more deserving of a knighthood' is fecking abysmal. It's an insult to everyone who has dedicated their lives to helping others or their profession, and for that to come from the current PM... well, it's disgraceful.

stand_free

Far too early for a knighthood, why not wait until his career is over and then see?

As for Salmond, it was a cheap shot.