Wimbledon

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Nadal was the better player over first 4 sets for me. Should have won one of those tie breaks. And I agree with Mehro, Nadal would win Wimbledon before Fed wins French.

And I have to say though Fed is a better player than Sampras, Sampras was better on grass than him. Fed doesn't serve and volley as good as him.

crappycraperson

Scout
And I don't actually think Fed was at his best today, he just had the experience to pull off those crucial points first in those tie breaks and then the final set.

crappycraperson

Scout
Wrong.

15-40 first time:

Break point 1: First serve IN by Federer, Nadal hits it out
Break point 2: Great forehand by Federer, Nadal misses out wide

15-40 second time:

Break point 1: Second serve, heavy top spin, bounces too high for Nadal and he hit it too long

Break point 2: Good serve by Federer which Nadal doesn't return.

Federer earnt it, it wasn't given to him.
Nah Nadal defy made unforced errors on atleast 2 of those points.

As I said Fed was not at his best today, he hasn't been this whole tournament.

crappycraperson

Scout
Federer was under pressure on his serve a couple of times in the final set and down 15-40 but served aces. When Nadal was down 15-40 on his serve, Federer started to take more risks, went for winners and it paid off. If Nadal had a better serve, he wouldnt have allowed Federer that opportunity. Its another reason why Nadal isnt that great in tie breakers, because the better server has the advantage.
Reminded me of Sampras-Agassi matches, this one.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Let me be the first to announce on the Caf that Jamie Murray & Jelena Jankovic are the new Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Champions!! :)

6-4 3-6 6-1

Top quality all round.

I have always thought that Doubles shoudl have a mroe popular following than it does, it may well do now.

Jankovic proved her No 3 ranking and then some. Will win a Wimbledon singles title one day no doubt you'd think.

I'm sure you all know the speculation surrounding these two, but either way, the chemistry they have on the court must be such an advantage. They easily relaxed despite the occasion.

They never even intended to do doubles before the tournament, it was aspur of the moment and now, quite the inspired decision.

Wonder what his odds are for BBC Sports Personality?

surf

I don't think Sampras's game was as strong as Federer's. Slightly better serve, especially the second, and volleyed more, but Federer edges Sampras in most other respects, especially from the baseline. And the overall standard of play has gone up, not down, in the last decade, so Federer's competitors are as strong as Sampras's. Federer wins his matches more easily than Sampras did. And he has come much closer to winning the French Open than Sampras. Agassi basically said a few years ago that Federer is the best he has played against, and that includes Sampras.

Nadal looks better and better, and seems to be the only one who can give Federer a game. Nadal plays an extremely physical game which may lead to frequent injuries and a relatively short career. Federer on the other hand doesn't seem punish his body and should be able to remain at the top for a long time.

WeasteDevil

Let me be the first to announce on the Caf that Jamie Murray & Jelena Jankovic are the new Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Champions!! :)

6-4 3-6 6-1

Top quality all round.

I have always thought that Doubles shoudl have a mroe popular following than it does, it may well do now.

Jankovic proved her No 3 ranking and then some. Will win a Wimbledon singles title one day no doubt you'd think.

I'm sure you all know the speculation surrounding these two, but either way, the chemistry they have on the court must be such an advantage. They easily relaxed despite the occasion.

They never even intended to do doubles before the tournament, it was aspur of the moment and now, quite the inspired decision.

Didn't Jeremy Bates and that English bird that looked like a bloke win the doubles about 18 years ago?

WeasteDevil

Sampras was better on grass than him. Fed doesn't serve and volley as good as him.
I don't agree, for some reason however he doesn't do it. It's not that he can't do it, he just doesn't have the guts to do it against a Nadal. Maybe now he has reached Borg's phenomenal record, if they meet next year he'll give it a go. Done well, it should basically take a player like Nadal totally out of the game.

crappycraperson

Scout
I don't agree, for some reason however he doesn't do it. It's not that he can't do it, he just doesn't have the guts to do it against a Nadal. Maybe now he has reached Borg's phenomenal record, if they meet next year he'll give it a go. Done well, it should basically take a player like Nadal totally out of the game.
He made loads of volleying errors in the final. He is easily better than Pete on the baseline, but Sampras's serve and volley was impeccable, easily better than Federer's. As you said a good serve and volley player would always prevail on grass.

crappycraperson

Scout
And the overall standard of play has gone up, not down, in the last decade, so Federer's competitors are as strong as Sampras's.

Thats not true at all, inf act it is completely the other way around. Agassi at his twilight, still gave Fed much better fight than likes of Safin, Roddick or Hewitt do nowdays. Only the serbian fella and Nadal are the ones right now capable of beating Federer.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Didn't Jeremy Bates and that English bird that looked like a bloke win the doubles about 18 years ago?
Yeah about that long ago, maybe 20 years. And that was the last time Britain coudl lay claim to a Grand Slam title of any sort.

EDIT: Just checked, 87 was the year, he and Jo Durie won it.

surf

Thats not true at all, inf act it is completely the other way around. Agassi at his twilight, still gave Fed much better fight than likes of Safin, Roddick or Hewitt do nowdays. Only the serbian fella and Nadal are the ones right now capable of beating Federer.
One could argue that Safin annihilated Sampras in a US open final in a way that no-one from the 90's ever did. Completely agree with your last statement.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
I don't think Sampras's game was as strong as Federer's. Slightly better serve, especially the second.
Slightly? Sampras' serve was awesome. His second probably better than Fed's first n all.

It's funny how people bang on about Fed's beating of Pete in 2001 as some sort of changing of the guard (as, I suppose it was) without mentioning that he lost to Tim in the next round anyway :D

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Slightly? Sampras' serve was awesome. His second probably better than Fed's first n all.

It's funny how people bang on about Fed's beating of Pete in 2001 as some sort of changing of the guard (as, I suppose it was) without mentioning that he lost to Tim in the next round anyway :D
Tim used to beat Federer quite regularly till the latter became invinceable.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

6-4 3-6 6-1

Top quality all round.

I enjoyed the match, good to see a Brit win as usual. His odds of becoming BBC Sports Personality have improved a heck of a lot. Must be a close second to Lewis Hamilton at the moment.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
What a wonderful final!
It looks as if Nadal will win Wimbledon before Federer will win at Roland Garros. There was some brilliant tennis on display today. Nadal's ability to cover the court is staggering.
On the topic of Federer and Sampras, i really don't know who is greater.
I think Federer actually edges it on the baseline, but Sampras' serving was immense. Federer's serving under pressure today was impressive but Sampras' serving was consistently excellent.
It's probably not fair to compare them yet. Give Federer a few years and let's see how it pans out.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

agreed

B Cantona

Desperate

Which then obviously makes Leyton Hewitt the greatest player of all time, because he's beaten Henman every single time they've played!

Federers a better player than Sampras no question for me. I thought Feds been fairly lacklustre all tournament, but he's still won it. When it mattered in that final set, he produced some of his best. His serving the next game after that final break was awesome, took Nadal out of the match completely