Wimbledon

jbuuty

And I'm not talking about human error. The human eye (which has been in use for a century in tennis to call it) will see it out when only a fraction of the ball has been over the line. Given the nature of a ball (being round) when only a fraction of it is over the line, it has never touched the line. Thus the Hawk Eye makes the court slightly bigger than it would have been in the past.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And I'm not talking about human error. The human eye (which has been in use for a century in tennis to call it) will see it out when only a fraction of the ball has been over the line. Given the nature of a ball (being round) when only a fraction of it is over the line, it has never touched the line. Thus the Hawk Eye makes the court slightly bigger than it would have been in the past.
no that's just silly, human interpretation shouldn't even come into it when we have the technology to be absolutely sure.

Poor Nadal, I like him ...

jbuuty

Christ, lets agree to disagree ... what your saying doesn't even make sense ... it's 2007 not 1907.
For someone who is obviously on a computer, that I can assume has crashed before, to think that technology doesn't err. Well, that is a little silly too.

Anyhow, the point was that the Hawk Eye for a player who is accustomed to people calling it makes the court a few cms larger and that can make a difference for a player.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Ok the small time match is over. The Big match is on now. Mixed Doubles all the way.

Brophs

The One and Only
That was an amazing final, I have even more respect for Federer than ever, if that is possible. Also can't agree that Rafa choked, he simply lost a couple of big points, in most cases through Roger's brilliance, and the tide of the game turned against him, and Federer punished him as great players do.

Rafa will have a good chance of giving him a real challenge next year, he's improved beyond belief on grass, and if he keeps going like that, it will be tough for Federer to stay on top

afrocentricity

That was an amazing final, I have even more respect for Federer than ever, if that is possible. Also can't agree that Rafa choked, he simply lost a couple of big points, in most cases through Roger's brilliance, and the tide of the game turned against him, and Federer punished him as great players do.

Rafa will have a good chance of giving him a real challenge next year, he's improved beyond belief on grass, and if he keeps going like that, it will be tough for Federer to stay on top
Agreed 110%

jbuuty

When I wrote Nadal choke, I was talking about one point when the match was 5-2. I have no doubt that Federer upped his game and that Nadal played tough.

I was wondering for a while if Federer could win a 5-set match. He hasn't played those for a while.

And Looking forward to the mixed doubles. Murray and Jankovic are fun to watch.

afrocentricity

For someone who is obviously on a computer, that I can assume has crashed before, to think that technology doesn't err. Well, that is a little silly too.

Anyhow, the point was that the Hawk Eye for a player who is accustomed to people calling it makes the court a few cms larger and that can make a difference for a player.
You sound technophobic :lol: ... technology has led to better medicine, communication, entertainment, etc. ... errors happen in the human and technological realm, probably more so in the human.

anyway ... congrats Federer. Unlucky Nadal.

jbuuty

I have no problem with technology. But if you don't see how it has potential to actually change the way a sport is played, you aren't seeing it very well. It's not necessarily a change for the better or the worse, just a change.

mehro

Ass face
Anyone see the new Nike ad that aired right now? Tiger Woods talking about Federer and his 11 titles then saying "but I've got 12 championships. Keep up buddy." Nice ad.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Federer aint got shit on Pete Sampras ...
Yep. Played myself between 10-18, used to follow tennis as much as football, Sampras for me. Can't understand the hype around federer, amazing player, but look at the competition. There's no Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Rafter, etc around. I look at the top 10 list nowadays and just have to laugh. Being in the top 10 used to mean something.

mehro

Ass face
Great match....if Nadal can improve his serve, he will thrash Federer soon on grass. He had just 1 ace compared to Federer who had around 25.
His serve? Federer had no clue how to break Nadal's serve. Without his serve he would have lost in 3 sets. But it does appear that Nadal will beat Federer on grass before Federer beats him on clay.

mehro

Ass face
Yep. Played myself between 10-18, used to follow tennis as much as football, Sampras for me. Can't understand the hype around federer, amazing player, but look at the competition. There's no Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Rafter, etc around. I look at the top 10 list nowadays and just have to laugh. Being in the top 10 used to mean something.
It's not his fault that he doesn't have that kind of competition. He can only beat who he faces. But to say that Federer isn't good ot not worth the hype is bs. The guy is an amazing player and has tons of talent.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
The guy is an amazing player and has tons of talent.
I've just said that. But I don't think he is the best ever, which is what I meant by 'overhyped'. He's in the top 5 on the all time list for me.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
His serve? Federer had no clue how to break Nadal's serve. Without his serve he would have lost in 3 sets. But it does appear that Nadal will beat Federer on grass before Federer beats him on clay.
Federer was under pressure on his serve a couple of times in the final set and down 15-40 but served aces. When Nadal was down 15-40 on his serve, Federer started to take more risks, went for winners and it paid off. If Nadal had a better serve, he wouldnt have allowed Federer that opportunity. Its another reason why Nadal isnt that great in tie breakers, because the better server has the advantage.

jbuuty

Neither is a big server like Roddick, but Federer does a good job and Nadal with his size and strength, you'd think would have major serve, but he doesn't get many aces.

afrocentricity

Spot on mate, I went off Tennis for a bit but that final and the emergence of Nadal has convinced me to come back.

-S18-

Great match, I'm knackered just watching it
Same here, that match was just brilliant, one of, if not the best match I have seen. Federer always steps up on the big points and he did it again today. That shot he played to break in the 5th set was brilliant. He plays shots that no other player can, or has played. That's why I think he will go on to be THE best. Although I am/was a big Sampras fan, both great players. I would have loved to see them play together both at their peak.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
15-40 on federers serve, 5th set, second serve and nadal puts it out. Federer holds serve.
Nadal holds serve.
15-40 on federers serve, 5th set, second serve and nadal puts it out.

He blew it.

-S18-

15-40 on federers serve, 5th set, second serve and nadal puts it out. Federer holds serve.
Nadal holds serve.
15-40 on federers serve, 5th set, second serve and nadal puts it out.

He blew it.
Wrong.

15-40 first time:

Break point 1: First serve IN by Federer, Nadal hits it out
Break point 2: Great forehand by Federer, Nadal misses out wide

15-40 second time:

Break point 1: Second serve, heavy top spin, bounces too high for Nadal and he hit it too long

Break point 2: Good serve by Federer which Nadal doesn't return.

Federer earnt it, it wasn't given to him.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
i dunno if you have the opportunity at 15-40 twice in my opinion you should be able to take advantage of it.

-S18-

i dunno if you have the opportunity at 15-40 twice in my opinion you should be able to take advantage of it.
Yep I agree but it's easy to say that watching from your sofa ;) Federer always seems to pull it back, he did it in the first set (or 2nd, can't remember exactly) when he was 0-40 down and got 3 aces in a row :cool: But yeh, Nadal has to be disappointed with those missed opportunities.