Winston Churchill

entropy

So I’m summary the fact he could have signed an agreement with the antichrist that was Hitler and never means nothing to you because he happened to be a racist.

Sorry but that’s a bollox opinion and I’m not even a staunch supporter of Churchill.

The guy was a leader and had balls, that much is fact and your neat little summary in hindsight that is designed to make out we we’re never facing a threat from Germany is a poor generalisation designed to minimise his influence during the war.

Stick to facts, apparently he was racist, I can understand people having an issue with that, let’s not pick apart his involvement in the war, experts who know more than you or I will tell you different.
Ahh, yes. The nuance this argument was lacking.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Honestly, I am just going to chalk this up as a generation gap thing. Because you seem to think whataboutism is an argument to everything. When in reality, I am giving examples of events that have happened just in the last decade. I suggest you read some post-colonial history. Because I wasn't taught anything different from what you were taught in school. We are all taught the same BS. It is upon you to understand why or how offensive it is to still have these statues in the year 2020. Also, I am sorry but dragging Gandhi or Mandela into an argument about Churchill reeks only of whataboutism and comes across as very childish.
I've already told people of an excellent book that displays what the British Empire was and the injustices and brutality involved and the onus has been for us to educate ourselves up til now. Perhaps it is a generational gap but when you choose to fight statues and then shout about Islamaphobia which has nothing to do with the topic of Gandhi statues that are still being installed it is about Whataboutism when you constantly scream racist at one heritage but not another which was also racist then people notice. I have no idea where Mandela somehow came into this whataboutism of yours but perhaps you'll link that post for me?

In reality we are talking about statues and you can tell me all about those events during the last ten years at another time. What you have to do though at the same time is talk about the Racism displayed by those peoples too if you want to convince another people about Equality.

I find it strange that I bother to address your points and you continue to ignore mine but you don't get to only identify one sort of BS when you do that.

RUCK4444

Ahh, yes. The nuance this argument was lacking.
True though, you telling me he didn’t?

But by all means, let’s burn his legacy into ashes to appease the mob. I’m sure that will fix everything.
Oh wait look what happened in London today...

Statues aren’t the problem. Racists don’t exactly flock to worship them ffs. But that’s is what is happening today in London, why? Because people wanted to bring statues into the argument and now they will be used for the entirely wrong purpose and viewed through only this racist debate and not what they were erected for.

Last edited:

entropy

True though, you telling me he didn’t?

But by all means, let’s burn his legacy into ashes to appease the mob. I’m sure that will fix everything.
Oh wait look what happened in London today...
Wanting to remove the statue of someone who clearly was a racist, responsible for the death of millions makes you part of the mob?? weird

The Purley King

Honestly, I am just going to chalk this up as a generation gap thing. Because you seem to think whataboutism is an argument to everything. When in reality, I am giving examples of events that have happened just in the last decade. I suggest you read some post-colonial history. Because I wasn't taught anything different from what you were taught in school. We are all taught the same BS. It is upon you to understand why or how offensive it is to still have these statues in the year 2020. Also, I am sorry but dragging Gandhi or Mandela into an argument about Churchill reeks only of whataboutism and comes across as very childish.
I’ll be the first to say that the education in the uk is deficient with Churchill. I only found about about all the bad stuff quite recently and I’d imagine most British people are the same. That is one positive thing to come out of all of this and hopefully lessons can be more balanced in the future.
What did Gandhi do that was so bad ? What bad views did he have? If he’s In the doghouse as well now then there is zero hope for anyone born 100+ years ago, may as well call them all racists and be done with it.

entropy

I've already told people of an excellent book that displays what the British Empire was and the injustices and brutality involved and the onus has been for us to educate ourselves up til now. Perhaps it is a generational gap but when you choose to fight statues and then shout about Islamaphobia which has nothing to do with the topic of Gandhi statues that are still being installed it is about Whataboutism when you constantly scream racist at one heritage but not another which was also racist then people notice. I have no idea where Mandela somehow came into this whataboutism of yours but perhaps you'll link that post for me?

In reality we are talking about statues and you can tell me all about those events during the last ten years at another time. What you have to do though at the same time is talk about the Racism displayed by those peoples too if you want to convince another people about Equality.

I find it strange that I bother to address your points and you continue to ignore mine but you don't get to only identify one sort of BS when you do that.
What's the point in educating yourself if you're going to argue against removing them? it is pointless. And these things have long served their purpose anyways. Haven't we been brainwashed enough about the war, Churchill, and all that BS?

RUCK4444

Wanting to remove the statue of someone who clearly was a racist, responsible for the death of millions makes you part of the mob?? weird
If your protesting and fighting in the street outside a statue that was erected purely for a persons actions during a war, one moment in history, for the direct benefit of an entire country (or In fact world peace It could be argued) then yes, you are part of an ill judged mob.

A mob that is causing more harm than good and only serving to strengthen the resolve of the very racists they are fighting against.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Given all of the accounts of Churchill's disregard for other races, was he really 'ballsy', or did he just have absolutely no regard for human life in general? I'm sure someone that didn't care about others dying found it quite easy to make these supposed 'brave' decisions.
I don’t think he was without a certain type of courage. His first publication concerned a late nineteenth-century Pathan tribal insurrection on British India’s North-West Frontier Province (the modern day Af-Pak border area). Churchill accompanied the largely (I think) Sikh army regiments sent to quash the rebels, reporting on the campaign as a correspondent. His accounts are, of course, replete with outrageous racial comments directed at the enemy. At the same time he appears to have engaged in several acts of valor, and clearly admired the Sikhs fighting on his side.

His next publication was an account of the British reconquest of the Sudan. Again he was a first-hand witness to many of the events. The racial commentary in this is less explicit than in the earlier work, but obviously still there. He also has some praise for the Sudanese Mahdi (who he compares not unfavorably with the hero General Gordon) and the role of Islam in bringing what he believed to be a higher form of civilization to previously pagan savages.

entropy

If your protesting and fighting in the street outside a statue that was erected purely for a persons actions during a war, one moment in history, for the direct benefit of an entire country (or In fact world peace It could be argued) then yes, you are part of an ill judged mob.

A mob that is causing more harm than good and only serving to strengthen the resolve of the very racists they are fighting against.
This is literally the same argument made by racists here in the US. Washington had slaves but he was one of the founding fathers so that negates any discussion about the atrocities of slavery and those who benefited from it. If this is your argument, you will never get around to addressing the genocide of native Americans or keep pretending that everything you were taught in school is correct, good enough for everyone.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
What's the point in educating yourself if you're going to argue against removing them? it is pointless. And these things have long served their purpose anyways. Haven't we been brainwashed enough about the war, Churchill, and all that BS?
Honestly you've shown yourself to be completely out of the loop when you say that I argue against removing them when time and again I've stated I've no issue with them being removed if the consensus is there beyond the anonymity of the mob taking things into their own hands.

Still waiting for you to show us where Mandela was brought into Whataboutery and the other points made which aren't answered by a lie about what I argue.

When you talk about Childish behaviour you'd better not show yourself to be thoroughly guilty of it.

entropy

Honestly you've shown yourself to be completely out of the loop when you say that I argue against removing them when time and again I've stated I've no issue with them being removed if the consensus is there beyond the anonymity of the mob taking things into their own hands.

Still waiting for you to show us where Mandela was brought into Whataboutery and the other points made which aren't answered by a lie about what I argue.

When you talk about Childish behaviour you'd better not show yourself to be thoroughly guilty of it.
Are you serious? can you not see how childish it is to bring Gandhi into this discussion?

Silva

Using "he killed the nazi's" to defend people who didn't wants jews, gypsies or gays in their own countries seems kind of offensive tbh. Churhill didn't fight the nazi's to stop the holocaust - no one who rejected jewish immigrants at the time should get that deference.

According to Whitehall And The Jews, 1933-1948 (Cambridge University Press), Louise London’s definitive account of British immigration policy and the Holocaust, “The process...was designed to keep out large numbers of European Jews - perhaps 10 times as many as it let in.” Around 70,000 had been admitted by the outbreak of the war, but British Jewish associations had some half a million more case files of those who had not.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Are you serious? can you not see how childish it is to bring Gandhi into this discussion?
Well there we have it, complete abdication from yourself with the ultimate playground insult.

I don't really see how anyone can take you seriously when you make claims you cannot and won't back up with evidence.

The ball remains in your court. I'm disappointed because I hadn't expected it to be honest.

Classical Mechanic

Given all of the accounts of Churchill's disregard for other races, was he really 'ballsy', or did he just have absolutely no regard for human life in general? I'm sure someone that didn't care about others dying found it quite easy to make these supposed 'brave' decisions.
Like many leaders of his ilk he was highly likely a psychopath. If you read about his military and journalistic career he thrived on adventure and danger. He was reportedly a very courageous fighter on the battlefield and got into life threatening situations as a journalist. Psychopaths have much higher fear thresholds than regular people which is why they’re perfect for the special forces and so on. A lack of empathy would enable him to make a decision like the one that caused the Bengal Famine and move on from it unconcerned. Psychopaths are more likely to have substance abuse issues than non-psychopaths too.

entropy

Well there we have it, complete abdication from yourself with the ultimate playground insult.

I don't really see how anyone can take you seriously when you make claims you cannot and won't back up with evidence.

The ball remains in your court. I'm disappointed because I hadn't expected it to be honest.
WTF, are you even talking about? it is beyond childish to bring Gandhi into this discussion. If someone accuses you of being a racist, do you just say, well at least I am not racist as this other person? Can you not see how petty it comes across as?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
WTF, are you even talking about? it is beyond childish to bring Gandhi into this discussion. If someone accuses you of being a racist, do you just say, well at least I am not racist as this other person? Can you not see how petty it comes across as?
Hmm.. still no evidence of claims made..

Nope, I'll still wait to answer your point while you prevaricate. No progress here I'm afraid.

RUCK4444

This is literally the same argument made by racists here in the US. Washington had slaves but he was one of the founding fathers so that negates any discussion about the atrocities of slavery and those who benefited from it. If this is your argument, you will never get around to addressing the genocide of native Americans or keep pretending that everything you were taught in school is correct, good enough for everyone.
Ok so I’m a racist because I don’t believe the statues should be taken down for racist views alone?

This is where your argument falls flat because we don’t, and you don’t, have the luxury to erase large chunks of monumentally important history just because those that shaped history were in fact human and a result of their environment and upbringing, they were and almost every white person was, a feckin racist.

I know that, you know that, but it makes no feckin difference.

Washington is likely America’s most influential historical figure, or at least up there, the same way Churchill (to a lesser extent) is a huge piece of British history. You or I can’t expunge history because it offends us. It’s laughable.

Germans keep Auschwits Open to tourists for a reason, so people never forget what happened, it’s our responsibility to look at the past and know that we’ve moved on from an ethical standpoint.

Taking down statues and pretending things in history never happened is counterproductive in more than one way, it serves to hamper education on these matters and only strengthens racists resolve.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ok so I’m a racist because I don’t believe the statues should be taken down for racist views alone?

This is where your argument falls flat because we don’t, and you don’t, have the luxury to erase large chunks of monumentally important history just because those that shaped history were in fact human and a result of their environment and upbringing, they were and almost every white person was, a feckin racist.

Washington is likely America’s most influential historical figure, or at least up there, the same way Churchill (to a lesser extent) is a huge piece of British history. You or I can’t expunge history because it offends us. It’s laughable.

Germans keep Auschwits Open to tourists for a reason, so people never forget what happened, it’s our responsibility to look at the past and know that we’ve moved on from an ethical standpoint.

Taking down statues and pretending things in history never happened is counterproductive in more than one way, it serves to hamper education on these matters and only strengthens racists resolve.
And yet nobody is advocating for that

Silva

they don't keep auschwitch in the middle of a town centre where jewish people have to see it on the way their job

Cassidy

they don't keep auschwitch in the middle of a town centre where jewish people have to see it on the way their job
Its also there to educate people about what happened. Not to pretend it wasn't something bad and celebrate it

Posh Red

Who said anything about erasing history? I’m yet to hear anyone suggest a book burning

entropy

Laughable how? if anything, I'd be ashamed because it lead to the mass genocide of the natives. Something which is still happening to this day.

Smores

What a stupid fecking post. Auschwits is fecking chilling to the bone and it's there to remind of that horror so it's not repeated.

The statues are there to commemorate these men not the victims sufferings . No one's walking past Colston thinking about the horror of slavery. You want to elict that then put up a statue that draws on that subject not one that is grandstanding and proud.

Classical Mechanic

Some critics accuse him of that, that's as far as it goes. I think it's possible that this spectacle could move the conversation on to the point where it's no longer framed as an attack on his legacy, but a recognition of his unquestionable failings. I believe how people think about defining moments and people in a country's history plays a role in a country's identity, and it isn't a pointless or academic endeavour. Recognition that Churchill was racist would be a positive contribution to combatting racism in the country now.
Im sceptical of these ideas. A relatively recent EU report on racism against black people in the EU found the UK to be among the very least racist countries in the EU. Germany was ranked as more racist by every measure and not insignificantly, a country that has supposedly ‘faced its racist history’. As far as I’m aware all the data disproves the idea that the UK is a uniquely racist country and actually shows that it’s one of the most tolerant. On a more anecdotal note the exiled Chinese artist Ai Wei Wei recently fled Germany for the UK because of the racist harassment he faced there.

Don't get me wrong, it might do something but I don’t think its as defining as a lot of people seem to like to imagine. I still feel going after Churchill could be counterproductive to the aims of BLM because of what he means to a lot of people here.

https://fra.europa.eu/en/publication/2019/being-black-eu-summary

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-life-in-britain-germany-virtual-reality-film

Cassidy

Im sceptical of these ideas. A relatively recent EU report on racism against black people in the EU found the UK to be among the very least racist countries in the EU. Germany was ranked as more racist by every measure and not insignificantly, a country that has supposedly ‘faced its racist history’. As far as I’m aware all the data disproves the idea that the UK is a uniquely racist country and actually shows that it’s one of the most tolerant. On a more anecdotal note the exiled Chinese artist Ai Wei Wei recently fled Germany for the UK because of the racist harassment he faced there.

Don't get me wrong, it might do something but I don’t think its as defining as a lot of people seem to like to imagine. I still feel going after Churchill could be counterproductive to the aims of BLM because of what he means to a lot of people here.

https://fra.europa.eu/en/publication/2019/being-black-eu-summary

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-life-in-britain-germany-virtual-reality-film
I dont think anyone is calling the UK uniquely racist. Just racist.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There are references in the statue itself, just for the record. He's wearing a military greatcoat and the pose is based on a photograph taken of him inspecting the bombing of the Houses of Parliament. It shows Churchill as how he was seen during that wartime period.
Fair, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say because of those things it's purely celebrating his wartime achievements. To the average viewer of the statue they probably wouldn't know those references in the statue and as you say it was a popular reference of how he was seen during that time and doesn't really suggest the statue is doing that to purely celebrate his achievements but rather making a statue of a person in their most recognisable state. What I mean is a plaque or a notice board which details him as a person reflecting both sides of him.

@SilentWitness
I disagree that having a statue is not educational if you’re not on a guided tour.
I love old architecture and statues in cities I visit and have often googled statues to see who the people are. If those statues were not there I’d have no idea of this person and what why had done good or bad
Well I didn't say that it wasn't educational if you're not on a guided tour. I asked what education you're receiving from a statue if there is no plaque or notice board talking about the person behind the statue. The education you will likely receive if there isn't anything is is what you find on the internet, in books or have been taught - it's not actually the statue itself. Before this debate began I don't think anyone could argue that the top hits on google and education people would receive about Churchill would be his wartime 'achievements' and not the racist side of him. Yes, you can google at the time but it is dependent on the narrative put forward and it's only now that people are taking the racist narrative behind Churchill as serious as the others.

By all means educate people about the past but, in terms of effecting meaningful change, spray painting or pulling down a statue of a long-dead, statesman is just cheap, virtue signalling tokenism whose main result will be to enable Boris and Dom to distract people from the Corona virus disaster by starting a culture war.
...or it's making people talk about things? The reason people are talking about Churchill and confronting the colonial past and questioning some leaders that are held up in an invincible light is because the statue was spray painted/taken down. As has been said many times before the Colston statue was at the front of many campaigns in Bristol for a number of years and they tried to have it removed peacefully but nobody listened or wanted to have the conversation. People aren't simple either and can care about many things at the same time. Just because they care about racism doesn't mean they've forgotten about coronavirus and vice versa.

Classical Mechanic

I dont think anyone is calling the UK uniquely racist. Just racist.
I was talking about the idea that ‘facing history’ will somehow make the UK a less racist country as it doesn’t seemed to have worked in Germany. I think a lot of people do think it’s uniquely racist though. I’d wager a lot of Irish people would be surprised that the study found the types of racism they looked more prevalent in Ireland than in the UK, for example.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm at the point now where I'm struggling to understand why people care so much about the statue staying up. Why is it offensive to you if it is removed? There is a clear argument as to why many people would find a statue of Churchill offensive which has been given multiple times in this thread but I don't see why it would be offensive from the other angle. If you're in that camp but you wouldn't be part of the group that is running around London today making salutes and other far right gestures then why exactly do you find it offensive?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Fair, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say because of those things it's purely celebrating his wartime achievements. To the average viewer of the statue they probably wouldn't know those references in the statue and as you say it was a popular reference of how he was seen during that time and doesn't really suggest the statue is doing that to purely celebrate his achievements but rather making a statue of a person in their most recognisable state. What I mean is a plaque or a notice board which details him as a person reflecting both sides of him.
By all means, a notice board is a great idea but it is hard to imagine how anyone would see him in a military style greatcoat and not appreciate the wartime role but of course, there will be some who cannot make that connection.

entropy

I was talking about the idea that ‘facing history’ will somehow make the UK a less racist country as it doesn’t seemed to have worked in Germany. I think a lot of people do think it’s uniquely racist though. I’d wager a lot of Irish people would be surprised that the study found the types of racism they looked more prevalent in Ireland than in the UK, for example.
Come on. The least one could do is recognize the racism that is embedded in their own history. Why even jump to the conclusion that it won't solve the problem. Recognizing is just the first step of many yet to come.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm at the point now where I'm struggling to understand why people care so much about the statue staying up. Why is it offensive to you if it is removed? There is a clear argument as to why many people would find a statue of Churchill offensive which has been given multiple times in this thread but I don't see why it would be offensive from the other angle. If you're in that camp but you wouldn't be part of the group that is running around London today making salutes and other far right gestures then why exactly do you find it offensive?

Nothing new has been said in many pages now.

Cassidy

I don't think anyone is saying facing history will eradicate racism, but it goes some way to help to educate people about it.
I also wouldn't say Germany really faced history about racism as a whole either, but thats another story.

I don't think people think the UK is uniquely racist but rather very hypocritical. As we saw last year when it was pointing the finger at others counties regarding racism in football but not doing enough to tackle it in their own game.

As we see with the current issue pointing its finger at the US when not dealing with the institutional racism in its own police force.

Or with WW2 acting like it fought a war against racism when it was only seeking to protect its own imperial interest and did little as possible to help Jews fleeing persecution actively having policies to stop them entering the UK

RUCK4444

Because what he did for Britain and to protect the free world are in fact far more important than his opinions on race.

Im not remotely racist. However I know that if it’s removed it will only serve to strengthen racist people’s views.

We may as well remove every statue of a white man from this era. Almost to a man people were racist in some form back then.

I fail to see why anybody 3 or 4 generations removed from a famous political figure would struggle to walk past this statue on their way to work, because he was a racist in his private life.

I mean ffs, really? It’s 2020

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
By all means, a notice board is a great idea but it is hard to imagine how anyone would see him in a military style greatcoat and not appreciate the wartime role but of course, there will be some who cannot make that connection.
I suppose the people that don't know it is a military style greatcoat. :p

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Well I didn't say that it wasn't educational if you're not on a guided tour. I asked what education you're receiving from a statue if there is no plaque or notice board talking about the person behind the statue. The education you will likely receive if there isn't anything is is what you find on the internet, in books or have been taught - it's not actually the statue itself. Before this debate began I don't think anyone could argue that the top hits on google and education people would receive about Churchill would be his wartime 'achievements' and not the racist side of him. Yes, you can google at the time but it is dependent on the narrative put forward and it's only now that people are taking the racist narrative behind Churchill as serious as the others.

...or it's making people talk about things? The reason people are talking about Churchill and confronting the colonial past and questioning some leaders that are held up in an invincible light is because the statue was spray painted/taken down. As has been said many times before the Colston statue was at the front of many campaigns in Bristol for a number of years and they tried to have it removed peacefully but nobody listened or wanted to have the conversation. People aren't simple either and can care about many things at the same time. Just because they care about racism doesn't mean they've forgotten about coronavirus and vice versa.
You questioned what information you’re learning if you’re not on a guided tour. I took that as implying you’re not learning unless you’re on a guided tour, apologies.

I still think just being there could be educational as it prompts people to research the person. Not everyone obviously and those who don’t probably wouldn’t care much anyway.

I’m not bothered or fighting for statue or no statue but I do like the history and memorabilia of countries and cities I visit for the first time and it does prompt me to look into those things. If they’re not there, I never would.

Classical Mechanic

Come on. The least one could do is recognize the racism that is embedded in their own history. Why even jump to the conclusion that it won't solve the problem. Recognizing is just the first step of many yet to come.
I said was sceptical of how important it was. I didn’t say it wouldn’t work at all, nor that it shouldn’t happen in a moral sense. I actually think that people should seek as much knowledge as they can about our history. I originally said that going after Churchill could be counterproductive because of what he still means to the older generations. In 25 years he won’t be relevant.

Look at the demographics of the UK and the electoral system. The biggest threat the Tories will likely face at the next election is a further right nationalist party growing in reaction to this culture war which takes voters from it. This happened with UKIP on the Europe question and the Tories had to appease those voters which resulted in the referendum. There’s a real possibility it will force the Tories further right.

Many people have used the argument that Germany is different, that it has a more enlightened national self-perception because it had to face its racist history. The data in the study shows that it hasn’t translated into a higher degree of real life racial tolerance, however.