Wolves 20/21

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Thought I’d start the Wolves thread.

Here we go again. After the longest season ever, has to be said our season fizzled out, although can’t complain to much at 7th place finish for the second season running, and quarter finals of EL .
Progress in terms of more points, more goals scored and less conceded. Good basis to build on for our third premier league season. It will be interesting to see how we do with no Europa distractions.

For the coming season, the most important thing is to keep our key players and Nuno. Nunos contract is up in June 2021 so hopefully he’ll be signing an extension before long.

We have been quiet on the transfer market so far although heavily linked with Arsenals Ainsley Maitland- Nile.

Looking forward to the season but really hope that fans are allowed back soon.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So far they've been a very good addition to the PL. Wolves away is a tough game for everyone. Unlike other promoted teams who just get thrashed regularly.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I'll be gutted if you get AMN. He's our best right-back (miles better than Bellerin post-injury) and a fantastic squad player. Add the fact that he's just 23 (as of next week) and an academy player, it's mad that we're selling him.

But. We need cash, and he's one of our rare assets that's both wanted by other sides, and isn't wildly overpaid at Arsenal. Hopefully Guendouzi and Torreira next...

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Thought I’d start the Wolves thread.

Here we go again. After the longest season ever, has to be said our season fizzled out, although can’t complain to much at 7th place finish for the second season running, and quarter finals of EL .
Progress in terms of more points, more goals scored and less conceded. Good basis to build on for our third premier league season. It will be interesting to see how we do with no Europa distractions.

For the coming season, the most important thing is to keep our key players and Nuno. Nunos contract is up in June 2021 so hopefully he’ll be signing an extension before long.

We have been on the transfer market so far although heavily linked with Arsenals Ainsley Maitland- Nile.

Looking forward to the season but really hope that fans are allowed back soon.
Read that you guys want to sell Traore and get OCampos. Any truth in that?

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
I'll be gutted if you get AMN. He's our best right-back (miles better than Bellerin post-injury) and a fantastic squad player. Add the fact that he's just 23 (as of next week) and an academy player, it's mad that we're selling him.

But. We need cash, and he's one of our rare assets that's both wanted by other sides, and isn't wildly overpaid at Arsenal. Hopefully Guendouzi and Torreira next...
Seems like he’s not in Artetas plans. I see he’s been at arsenal since he was six! He’s quite versatile which nuno likes so I hope we do sign him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Big season for Wolves. Feels like they're a bit like we were in 09/10. We missed out on top 4 that season and then lost Young, Downing, Milner and O'Neill all within the next two years.

Not saying Wolves are going to collapse like we did but I can see a few of their squad moving on next summer if you don't get europe again. And Nuno might decide to go somewhere else as he'll have offers.

Actually did well this season to be around top 6 for most of the season considering you had a poor start (1 win in first 8 games) and the never ending europa league run which won't be a problem this season.

There's still a chance you could do better next season. Leicester will surely dip a bit, Arsenal remain unproven trying to get top 4 and I think Spurs are pretty vulnerable in areas of their side so not convinced at all they'll better last season's 6th place. Just takes one of top 4 this season to get a few injuries and dodgy result and you're in.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Big season for Wolves. Feels like they're a bit like we were in 09/10. We missed out on top 4 that season and then lost Young, Downing, Milner and O'Neill all within the next two years.

Not saying Wolves are going to collapse like we did but I can see a few of their squad moving on next summer if you don't get europe again. And Nuno might decide to go somewhere else as he'll have offers.

Actually did well this season to be around top 6 for most of the season considering you had a poor start (1 win in first 8 games) and the never ending europa league run which won't be a problem this season.

There's still a chance you could do better next season. Leicester will surely dip a bit, Arsenal remain unproven trying to get top 4 and I think Spurs are pretty vulnerable in areas of their side so not convinced at all they'll better last season's 6th place. Just takes one of top 4 this season to get a few injuries and dodgy result and you're in.
No doubt a big season, a good window for us is firstly keeping out squad together.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No doubt a big season, a good window for us is firstly keeping out squad together.
Rumours that Doherty will move to Spurs, so Wolves are linked with any RWB or Traore will play as wing back?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They want Maitland-Niles who could play that role, among others. There have been rumours that they're happy to sell Traore so perhaps Covid is impacting them.
Yeah forgot about Niles. Looks like every club except Chelsea are impacted by Covid.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
The papers are selling our players. Last week Jimenez signed for juve, but he's very much still a wolves player. They also announced palhinha had signed despite us not approaching him.
We put 70m price tag on Traore doesn't mean he's for sale or we need to sell.
Our owners made record profits despite covid 19. Revenue 63.2bilion and profits of 2.1 billion

Doc may go to Spurs, but no formal offer has been made yet, if he does adama can play Rwb plus we have Matheson and Sanderson that can also play in that position. We wouldn't send Gibbs white out on loan, and maybe agree to sell doc if we weren't bringing replacements in

Last edited:

IrishRedDevil

Selling their starting RWB for only £13m is a right kick in the nuts for them.

Their fans like to go on about how much of a tight knit group they are, but players will jump to bigger clubs if given the chance.

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
I can understand reservations about the fee, however, along with Saiss from our starting XI, they're the ones that need to be upgraded if we want to keep progressing. I'm much more comfortable allowing Doc to move on that Rui, Boly, Neves, Adama, Raul etc.

Doc has been very good for us over the past three seasons (all credit to him because he was an absolutely disgraceful footballer beforehand), but there are still issues with his game that limit us. He's poor defensively, which means we need to cover his channel constantly and he's not quick enough to get back if caught high. I'd have serious reservations about him playing in a four without Boly, Neves and Dendoncker next/behind him providing cover and defensive shape. However, most importantly for me, he's bang average in possession which all too often results in us giving up the ball.

This isn't an issue for Doc alone, it's a wider one that we need to improve on and the transition to better footballers in those positions will be important for us.

I wish him all the best as he's contributed hugely to our recent growth, the winning goal against City will live long in the memory.

GlasgowCeltic

The occasions I've watched Wolves Moutinho has still looked excellent, wonder how far he could've gone in the game if he scored a few more.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of money for someone who’s hardly done anything in first team football
Hardly is generous. 3 goals in total for him. This is an insane overreach.

We’ve been watching him for 2 years so must think he’s worth the fee.
20 in 26 for the U19s is impressive but hardly worth paying ‎€40m for. All the records referred to in the announcement video have to do with youngest player to do X Y & Z, he certainly hasn't pulled up trees at the senior level (in fact he got sent back to the reserves after making his debut for the senior team).

This is one of those comments that in 2/3 years time may look very silly.
Could be but really not sure how likely that outcome is. It's a hell of a lot to spunk on what's essentially a lottery ticket at this point.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Really makes you wonder what Greenwood is worth.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Really makes you wonder what Greenwood is worth.
Think the bidding would start at £100m and go up from there. I'd be hesitant to slap a value on him quite as high as that of Sancho given the latter's more established CV and higher level right now, but Greenwood wouldn't be far off given his younger age and what he's shown this year.

That said, I don't think there's any realistic value that could push United to sell (quite rightly). If he were at a smaller club then perhaps it'd be different.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It’s a silly silly fee.

You can get A LOT of better quality for the team for 40M.

The problem is this was orchestrated by Mendes and that’s it.

When it comes to strikers what they do at Youth level means feck all at the seniors. That’s why it is so hard to judge a promising striker until they play first team football as it is the hardest position to “make it in”.

Let’s put it this way United Spent 50M on Bruno who is both a World class player and was established as probably the best player to play in Portugal in 20 years.

Wolves Paid 40M for a kid that

1. Has next to nothing of first team experience

2. Offers no guarantees of an uplift in quality on a team that wants to compete for higher heights. He will struggle to get 5 goals on the EPL this season and for 40M that would be unacceptable.

Felix only got 6 goals on LA liga which is a much weaker league.

Based on what I saw from him in Porto when he did play he is not ready yet for the first team

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s a silly silly fee.

You can get A LOT of better quality for the team for 40M.

The problem is this was orchestrated by Mendes and that’s it.

When it comes to strikers what they do at Youth level means feck all at the seniors. That’s why it is so hard to judge a promising striker until they play first team football as it is the hardest position to “make it in”.

Let’s put it this way United Spent 50M on Bruno who is both a World class player and was established as probably the best player to play in Portugal in 20 years.

Wolves Paid 40M for a kid that

1. Has next to nothing of first team experience

2. Offers no guarantees of an uplift in quality on a team that wants to compete for higher heights. He will struggle to get 5 goals on the EPL this season and for 40M that would be unacceptable.

Felix only got 6 goals on LA liga which is a much weaker league.

Based on what I saw from him in Porto when he did play he is not ready yet for the first team
He’s not ready to take over from Jimenez next season but I think give him the year to bulk up and learn in a great environment like Wolves and I see him succeeding.

£40m is a high fee of course but when you think if it goes well he could easily double that value. It’s a risk and I wouldn’t be happy if United had paid that much for him but it shows ambition from Wolves.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Completely different end of spectrum that to yesterday's signing!

I clicked on his soccerbase profile thinking he was some fringe player at Lyon but he started all their CL games last month so no idea how the fee is so low.

With your record with those type of signings over last 3 years I'd imagine he'll fit pretty well into the set up.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Completely different end of spectrum that to yesterday's signing!

I clicked on his soccerbase profile thinking he was some fringe player at Lyon but he started all their CL games last month so no idea how the fee is so low.

With your record with those type of signings over last 3 years I'd imagine he'll fit pretty well into the set up.
He’s 31 so that would explain the low fee. Basically cover for Johnny as he’ll be out for months. No brainer at that price and brings experience too .

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He’s 31 so that would explain the low fee. Basically cover for Johnny as he’ll be out for months. No brainer at that price and brings experience too .
He can play in the back 3 easily. Actually his best performances for Lyon were as CB IMO. Wouldn’t be surprised if he will start for you.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
How is La Liga a much weaker league (defensively) when it had 2.48 goals per match last season compared to Premier League's 2.72 goals?
Meaning its not as physical and offers more space.

This kiss is going to be bullied in the prem.