Women's Pre-season - last mystery game now played

RedPamie

I can't embed Twitter/media yet and maybe this need a new thread. But this is interesting...

And saw a tweet too says it's on Thursday 5th July.

It's happening! :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jojojo

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Rovers (Blackburn Rovers) are one of the clubs who have an appeal in to join us in WSL2. They were hoping to get moved up when the license requirements changed.

Again though, it looks like that match they're talking about is "behind closed doors" - the Leigh stadium is being used for a rugby match that day.

Hopefully we'll hear something from the club soon. It's looking like we'll hear about the squad in one big hit, perhaps a press/photo day next week? Maybe the same will go for the matches themselves and they won't let us see them play until they have to!

RedPamie

To recap
July 15th vs Liverpool Ladies (Home)
July 22nd vs Blackburn Rovers Ladies (Home)
July 29th vs West Ham United Ladies (Away - Nottingham Uni, Clifton Campus)

And yes the fact United not yet announced the squad is annoying :confused:. I thought we'd get some news starting this week because next Monday is start of preseason, right? Although there are rumors floating around, even some of insiders in women's game said United have been tight-lipped about the whole process.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
And yes the fact United not yet announced the squad is annoying :confused:. I thought we'd get some news starting this week because next Monday is start of preseason, right? Although there are rumors floating around, even some of insiders in women's game said United have been tight-lipped about the whole process.
Yes, they've left us trying to read the runes! I hope the big tease is because they've got plans to have us looking like a professional operation from day one, not because they haven't :smirk:

So, trying to read the clues from that venue Rovers give. It sounds like this place:
https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-courses/courses/our-facilities/clifton-campus-sports-facilities

Which makes me think that we may also be doing our pre-season training there, while The Cliff is having its makeover. Leigh is more a general purpose facility, so it's probably got more schools and kid's summer schools using it. Whereas the university should be nice and empty (comparatively) for the next few weeks.

Dudu

First pre-season game against Liverpool Ladies underway apparently. As mentioned above, the game is sadly being played behind closed doors.

A winning start against the Scouse ladies will be the perfect way to start the MU Women's Dynasty. :devil:

Reactions: jojojo

Dudu

Anywhere to keep an eye on the score?
Don't think so. Unless anyone at the ground itself updates the score on social media, we will probably have to wait till the end of the game to hear anything.

Dudu

Why behind closed doors?
It's a brand new team, so it makes sense to be honest. These players have literally just been recruited and bar a few training sessions - have never played together.

muller

Is it official account though? Although the account acts like an official one.
There was a fan made one, and then the official one - the official one has now been suspended though - very odd.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
ManUtdWFC was never strictly official (i.e. folllowed by or tweeted by the main account or had a verified badge). A few players had followed it but they were probably just as fooled by the account as the rest of us.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm not sure if it was ever an official one. It picked up a lot of followers but the main United account never seemed to cite it, or maybe I missed one.

When it reappears I expect it'll either be labelled as official with the verified flag set and some clear links to/from the main United Twitter account, or as unofficial having been warned not to use the club's copyright.

Edit: what Damien said :lol:

muller

When can we watch them play?
ManUtdWFC was never strictly official (i.e. folllowed by or tweeted by the main account or had a verified badge). A few players had followed it but they were probably just as fooled by the account as the rest of us.
Oh really - my mistake. I thought I saw the main account mention ManUtdWFC in one of their tweets! Sorry all - I was following the unveiling at work and obviously wasn't paying enough attention!

Damien

Staff
Hard to say as a bunch of the pre-season friendlies are behind closed doors. Game against West Ham Ladies definitely is, and I'm assuming the one against Blackburn Rovers Ladies is too, though I don't think I've seen anything that 100% confirms it. I'm sure the club will announce when the first game is that the public can see or can be viewed on television.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I suspect all our pre-season matches will be behind closed doors.

So, nothing until the weekend of 18th August - which is the first weekend of the WSL League Cup. The draw for that competition hasn't been held yet, but that will be in a mini-league, so we could be seeing Liverpool, Everton or City this season.

Will someone be broadcasting/streaming the match on the 18th? No one knows. Historically that round of the cup doesn't appear on TV. But maybe MUTV will have it. Otherwise it's going to be phone camera highlights somewhere.

Damien

Staff
Rich Laverty seems to be one of the best sources of Women's news for now and he says he's not heard of an open friendly - yet.

RedPamie

Maybe Casey doesn't want to reveal all of her cards just yet. Our status as favorites to win Women's Championship title is well, going to motivate other teams to do well against us.

Team style, tactics, fitness, etc. There are speculations about whether we'll play three in the back because we are kinda short on defenders. Greenwood more as wingbacks? Also interestingly Millie Turner posed with team defenders in one of the pic.

Some point out our back line is basically Liverpool and they didn't do well in term of defense, conceded the fifth highest in WSL1 (27, whereas Chelsea as comparison conceded 13).

This season will be a pain in the ass season for fans can't go to the ground! Hopefully lots of posters here and fans in social media get their cameras ready! We want updates :)

Reactions: Damien

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Is it official account though? Although the account acts like an official one.
I don't have a Twitter account myself but i've got a dozen or so pages relating to United bookmarked and I check each of them four or five times a day for any updates, one of the others had the same message last week but was back up and running a few hours later, so I don't know

muller

I've seen a couple of people on twitter say that the game yesterday was drawn - unsure how reliable though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I don't have a Twitter account myself but i've got a dozen or so pages relating to United bookmarked and I check each of them four or five times a day for any updates, one of the others had the same message last week but was back up and running a few hours later, so I don't know
One common outcome is for the account owner to add an "unofficial" to their summary description and remove any copyright material - like logos, banner photos owned by the club.