Women's Pre-season - last mystery game now played

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why are they clled Academy92?
Are they affiliated with any club?

Dudu

I doubt there will be any consequences, except we won't invite them (or accept an invitation) to play another closed doors friendly.
You're probably right, but this should be the bare minimum we do about this. Still can't believe the Club haven't contacted them to take it down yet, despite the club going to huge lengths to keep results completely out of the media so far.

Damage already done though, it's gotten quite a lot of media attention already.

Why are they clled Academy92?
Are they affiliated with any club?
They are affiliated to Salford City FC. The club owned by the lads from the Class of 92 - hence the name for the academy.

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
You're probably right, but this should be the bare minimum we do about this. Still can't believe the Club haven't contacted them to take it down yet, despite the club going to huge lengths to keep results completely out of the media so far.

Damage already done though, it's gotten quite a lot of media attention already.
How do you know we haven't and they just said no?

Dudu

How do you know we haven't and they just said no?
It's possible, but we've clearly instructed all clubs that we've played so far not to publish any results.. it doesn't make sense that this would game would be any different.

So I can't understand how they could just say no.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They are affiliated to Salford City FC. The club owned by the lads from the Class of 92 - hence the name for the academy.
Pretty desperate.
Another reminder why I hate that CO92 nonsense.

DBT85

You'd think one of the 92 would have been on to them about not taking the piss eh?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
As soon as the tweet was made, it was game over really. Hilarious bantz for the lads involved and the twitter trolls, bloody annoying for anyone interested in the women's team.
The tweets have vanished for now. But to be honest as soon as it was posted it was too late, and I suspect deleting them just makes us seem petty. We know United have been keeping all the matches hidden, and we know that they play lads teams to build up speed and sharpness - but most fans won't.

I'm sure United are disappointed in the Academy92 staff for doing it. Maybe even more disappointed because Casey (with Phil Neville) has actually done coaching sessions for them in the past.

As I say, for the kids it's just banter, but for the Twitter trolls it's ammo, and the Academy92 adults should know that.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So do we know any results so far?
We know that they played Liverpool but the match was abandoned at 0-0, due to Sio Chamberlain getting injured (which meant the mandatory ambulance/medical team had to leave the site and take her to hospital)

We know they played Blackburn Rovers and think they scored more than one goal, but we don't know the actual result.

We know they got thrashed by the Academy92 team, but they would have expected that - they just didn't expect it to get broadcast triumphantly on Twitter. The other clubs have stuck to the no photos, videos, no comments rules on the closed door friendlies.

RedPamie

The twitter trolls don't understand that these lads are talented, strong and already together as a team for a long time, also competing in many tournaments. One of the lads also played for Salford City first team.

My theory is the match itself was good workout and fun, because most of the lads are United fans. But the person who handles twitter account took it upon himself to post the result, video and even chose pic that showed the girl (I think K. Hanson) annoyed with one of the lads. What a mess.

pacifictheme

We know that they played Liverpool but the match was abandoned at 0-0, due to Sio Chamberlain getting injured (which meant the mandatory ambulance/medical team had to leave the site and take her to hospital)

We know they played Blackburn Rovers and think they scored more than one goal, but we don't know the actual result.

We know they got thrashed by the Academy92 team, but they would have expected that - they just didn't expect it to get broadcast triumphantly on Twitter. The other clubs have stuck to the no photos, videos, no comments rules on the closed door friendlies.
Cheers. I'm actually more interested in the womans team than i thought i would be.

The twitter trolls don't understand that these lads are talented, strong and already together as a team for a long time, also competing in many tournaments. One of the lads also played for Salford City first team.

My theory is the match itself was good workout and fun, because most of the lads are United fans. But the person who handles twitter account took it upon himself to post the result, video and even chose pic that showed the girl (I think K. Hanson) annoyed with one of the lads. What a mess.
Yeah a lads team beating a womans team is no achievement. Its purely a workout for the womans team, for them to win would be a huge upset. Embarrassing really that salford felt the need to post it online.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Cheers. I'm actually more interested in the womans team than i thought i would be.

Yeah a lads team beating a womans team is no achievement. Its purely a workout for the womans team, for them to win would be a huge upset. Embarrassing really that salford felt the need to post it online.
The lad who runs Salford's social media is a Stoke fan and a massive ABU. Probably took great delight in doing it.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't aware there was some embargo over the results, any idea on the reasoning for this?

Wouldn't read too much into the result against Salford btw. Dallas u15s (who were a poor u15 side) beat US women 5-2 when they were world champions and Australia women lost 9-0 to an u15 side as well.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Yeah it actually looks worse on them than us.

I think the fixtures are out tomorrow, looking forward to it. I like to delve into this side of the site to get away from all the negativity.

Denis79

I'd be all over that season ticket if I didn't live 115 miles away.

Isn't the average attendance something like 1000 at the moment? if so, 10,000 is a huge leap.
Same here mate. Live in fecking Serbia, I would love to be able to attend regulary.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Wasn't aware there was some embargo over the results, any idea on the reasoning for this?

Wouldn't read too much into the result against Salford btw. Dallas u15s (who were a poor u15 side) beat US women 5-2 when they were world champions and Australia women lost 9-0 to an u15 side as well.
My guess is to not put too much pressure/attention on them early on while they're getting used to each other. We know the scores of three of the matches anyway.

v Liverpool Ladies - 0:0 (game abandoned after Chamberlain picked up an injury)
v Salford Academy - 9:0 to them (Salford social media bragged about it)
v West Ham Ladies - 2:2 (West Ham manager confirmed)

I think the only other game we played is against Blackburn Rovers and all we know is Sigsworth scored the first goal for the club (game was between the Liverpool and Salford matches).

RedPamie

U19 is the development squad?

So Thursday 2nd August vs Crewe.
Then Wednesday 8th August vs Wolves.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'd be all over that season ticket if I didn't live 115 miles away.
I've bought a women's team season ticket, though given I've got a standard season ticket as well, how many matches I'll see I don't know.

I'm looking forward to it - probably more than I am to watching the first team. The whole thing about watching the new team grow up from scratch appeals to me. I admit, I even like the idea of it being on a smaller scale, being able to park near the ground, pause in a café/bar on the way in - not get stuck in a mega-traffic jam on the way out. It sounds good, I've not been to football (apart from kids football) like that for years :D

Grande

I've bought a women's team season ticket, though given I've got a standard season ticket as well, how many matches I'll see I don't know.

I'm looking forward to it - probably more than I am to watching the first team. The whole thing about watching the new team grow up from scratch appeals to me. I admit, I even like the idea of it being on a smaller scale, being able to park near the ground, pause in a café/bar on the way in - not get stuck in a mega-traffic jam on the way out. It sounds good, I've not been to football (apart from kids football) like that for years :D
As opposed to FCUM, this IS actually United.

RedPamie

First not-behind-closed-doors match?!
Bradford City Women vs United
Sunday 5th August, 1pm

Okay I think United need to be more proactive in promoting the women's team. Almost all preseason informations are from the opponents. Maybe because they are still new on this?

The_Order

Our PR on this needs refining.

Hopefully, the women's team gets their own social media team.

RedPamie

Just now, the official Instagram account @ManUtdWomen started posting pics. Then twitter account @ManUtdWomen just tweeted too. They are playing catch-up, but better than nothing.

Dudu

Just now, the official Instagram account @ManUtdWomen started posting pics. Then twitter account @ManUtdWomen just tweeted too. They are playing catch-up, but better than nothing.
Excellent news. Men's team account just announced it too! Should help increase the influx of new followers to both the Instagram and Twitter pages.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
First not-behind-closed-doors match?!
Bradford City Women vs United
Sunday 5th August, 1pm

Okay I think United need to be more proactive in promoting the women's team. Almost all preseason informations are from the opponents. Maybe because they are still new on this?
And another twitter page bites the dust! I was waiting to see the official tweet/website update from Bradford City before making plans to go over on Sunday but it hasn't yet, and that tweet has disappeared. Looks like it's another game where we'll actually use our U19 team, or else another one behind closed doors.

RedPamie

And another twitter page bites the dust! I was waiting to see the official tweet/website update from Bradford City before making plans to go over on Sunday but it hasn't yet, and that tweet has disappeared. Looks like it's another game where we'll actually use our U19 team, or else another one behind closed doors.
I think it's still on, but maybe you are right. Usually it's Manchester United select/U19 to play against lower league opponents.

Dudu

Just ONE day after launch, the MU Women's twitter account has rocketed itself to being the most followed club in the Championship. :keano:

Twitter followers:
1. Man United - 19.1k (and counting)
2. Spurs - 16.3k
3. Aston Villa - 12.8k
4. Watford - 11k
5. Millwall - 9583
6. Durham - 8167
7. London Bees - 7540
8. Charlton - 7323
9. Crystal Palace - 6113
10. Lewes - 5403
11. Sheffield United - 3227

Still some way behind some of the other clubs in the WSL, but I'm willing to bet we'll be up there soon!

Arsenal - 183k
Chelsea - 163k
Man City - 98.2k
Liverpool - 81.5k
West Ham - 27.9k
Everton - 27.7k
Birmingham - 26.9k

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Woah! That match is up on Bradford's twitter complete with the phrase a "Manchester United XI" rather than just United. The entrance price has returned as well. It's on :D

As I can't get to our first our game, I may take a shot at getting to this one instead.

DBT85

Just ONE day after launch, the MU Women's twitter account has rocketed itself to being the most followed club in the Championship. :keano:

Twitter followers:
1. Man United - 19.1k (and counting)
2. Spurs - 16.3k
3. Aston Villa - 12.8k
4. Watford - 11k
5. Millwall - 9583
6. Durham - 8167
7. London Bees - 7540
8. Charlton - 7323
9. Crystal Palace - 6113
10. Lewes - 5403
11. Sheffield United - 3227

Still some way behind some of the other clubs in the WSL, but I'm willing to bet we'll be up there soon!

Arsenal - 183k
Chelsea - 163k
Man City - 98.2k
Liverpool - 81.5k
West Ham - 27.9k
Everton - 27.7k
Birmingham - 26.9k
Great to see but it really really has to be more popular than that lot.

Would expect to see them coming up on the Liverpool total by the end of the season I think. Hopefully the main twitter does some cross posting for them.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Just a hint of how United (business side) think about the future. From Jamie Jackson's article on the pre-season ICC competition. This year was the first time the ICC included a youth tournament and a women's one (PSG, City, Lyon, North Carolina). The article was pre-tournament, it's an interview with the chairman of the company that organises the overall tournament.

United have just started a women’s team and Stillitano says: “It is really interesting. I was with José Mourinho at UCLA [training base], talking to the folks at Manchester United, and they were saying: ‘We want to be in the women’s tournament next year. We want your advice.’
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/20/international-champions-cup-new-markets-europe

I doubt it will happen next year, too early for us. Plus, the tournament was a bit of a dead duck. Low crowds and no buzz. The top women's teams are the US ones and it's during the critical bit of their season. The matches were in stadiums that aren't normally by women's teams - so no real local audience.

That said, it's clear that United's ambitions for the team stretch beyond WSL2.

RedPamie

@jojojo are you at the game vs Bradford now? And good find about ICC competition. When I saw the news about Barcelona having a tour of Men's and Women's team together, I thought United probably want this in the future. Agree with you that next year probably too soon. We don't know if we will be in the WSL next year. I'm optimistic but I understand anything can happen in a long season and we are new!

And last Thursday United development squad had a match vs Crewe Alexandra Ladies but no news because it's behind closed doors.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm at the Bradford match. I think I'm looking at the U19 squad, at any rate the kit numbers they were wearing in the warm-up aren't the first team squad numbers unless they look really different in person! In other words, I've no idea who I'm looking at. Cunning eh. I'm going to be useless at doing a commentary.

Maybe they'll announce the teams on the PA. I'm not betting on it though.

For OT regulars, the women are about as accurate as our men during shooting in practice :D except here that means most of the balls end up in the car park.

RedPamie

Awww whatever happens we are following your commentary!

I do wonder about the squad. Because in Instagram most of our senior players seem to have a day off. Their social media is active but not about the match :lol:. Is Casey there?