Women's Pre-season - last mystery game now played

RedPamie

Wow nice :devil:. Expected as they are in lower league (WNL) but still nice. Any names from senior squad? Naomi Hartley, Lucy Roberts, Ebony Salmon, the GK is Fran Bentley? Or Alex Everett? :lol: sorry too many questions.

Heard rumours too that we won big vs Rovers Ladies, they are in WNL too, although they appealed to get Women's Championship license. As for United, looking good so far.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I don't think any of the first team squad were there. I think I've seen one of the keepers in the group pictures (when Sio was injured and with Emily Ramsey away with the U20s they definitely drafted players in) and apparently a couple of the others have been invited to train with the first team over the summer holidays.

I'm sure there will be lots of photos kicking around - there were at least three "proper" cameras there and a video camera with separate sound pickup, captured the whole match.

I chatted to a couple of Bradford fans and someone whose team played against them last year - apparently they've lost a lot of players. Lots of new players on the pitch for them (not even last years subs) so Bradford need to turn into a team fast, else they're going to have a horrible League season. We were just a lot better than them, individually (they had one very good left side defender and a strong left winger) and even more so, collectively. First half they held us at bay for a long time, but we scored two goals immediately before halftime (to go in 3-0 up) and really wiped them out in the second half.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We were in pale grey shirts for the Bradford game - old kits. I'm not good enough at spotting our players yet to say for sure, but I didn't hear anyone mentioned either.
Ah okay. When something says "Man Utd XI" it usually does tend to be the U19s/Academy. Good we won anyway.

muller

Anyone know what kind of team we’ve put out against Watford tonight?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Anyone know what kind of team we’ve put out against Watford tonight?
It's billed as the U19 team. Whether any of the first team squad (a lot of whom are U19) will play is anybody's guess. Do you know someone who's there?

Edited to say - oops, sorry. The U19s are playing Wolves tonight, that's the match I was thinking of. I haven't heard anything about a Watford game.

muller

It's billed as the U19 team. Whether any of the first team squad (a lot of whom are U19) will play is anybody's guess. Do you know someone who's there?

Edited to say - oops, sorry. The U19s are playing Wolves tonight, that's the match I was thinking of. I haven't heard anything about a Watford game.
:wenger:
That’s what I meant.

Sorry..

RedPamie

Yeah they lost to Wolves. I don't think we put any of first team squad when we are kinda thin with Emily Ramsey on England U20 duty, Naomi Hartley just getting back from injury and Ella Toone still in recovery.

This is Alex Everett, U19 GK. I think she's young because she's part of title winning U16 squad last season.

I'm beginning to think United want to surprise the oppositions in Women's Championship :lol:
They've only had matches vs Liverpool, WestHam, Rovers and boys teams. All behind closed doors.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Sounds like she's 15/16. Doesn't really surprise me as - unless we signed some 17-18 year olds specifically for the U19s over the summer - the vast majority of the U19s will basically be the best of last year's U16s.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
This is Alex Everett, U19 GK. I think she's young because she's part of title winning U16 squad last season.
She was one of the keepers with the Academy team at Bradford. The other keeper started the match.

We did operate an under 17/18 team last year, but they only played cup games and friendlies. This year they've expanded that squad with more of the U16s staying.

I was chatting to the family of one of the last year's U16s who's now in the Academy squad. They didn't know if it was going to carry on as a Cup and friendlies only team, or if it was going to join a League. So it's still one for our "to be confirmed" list.

RedPamie

Pics from Wolves game

Next for U19
Maybe the club decided to enter the development squad league with the amount of matches they've had and scheduled.

RedPamie

Away game scheduled today vs who knows :lol:
Also this tweet
More in social media thread.

RedPamie

Last pre season game, United won vs ...
White and Blue horizontal stripes? Reading Women.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It could be, but we play Reading in a couple of weeks (our first home game) so it would feel a bit odd. QPR wear similar kits, but we'd need higher res pictures to work out who are the sponsors/manufacturere. Anyway, they won't be able to keep hiding them soon :D

RedPamie

QPR? Yeah but doesn't make sense either because they are in WNL. Our development squad is the team that usually face WNL teams these days. Besides the sleeves are different :lol:

Yep soon they have to play in front of fans and hopefully live broadcast!

RedPamie

United Women U19 won 3-1 vs Brighouse Town.

So Naomi Hartley started. Makes sense because she just got back from injury. She needs minutes.