Women's team 22/23 Transfer rumours/updates

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Another one for the "oh no" speculation list - Ona Batlle wasn't around for our friendly against Everton on Sunday. United described her as "unavailable" but didn't explain more. Earlier in the window it's looked like Barcelona were after her, but we'd basically rejected their offers.

Since then Barca have had a few injuries and now they've got a problem that means they can't register all their non-EU players. Not the financial one that hit the men's team - they want to register four non-EU players, including Lucy Bronze, but currently are only allowed to register two.

I don't know where that leaves them in terms of starting lineup and squad players, but the price they're willing to pay to get Ona (who would be a free agent next year) may have gone up.

Fingers crossed on Ona then. Both that all is well for her and her family and also that we aren't looking at a late transfer deal for her.
Lucy has an EU passport (Portugal), so they've registered her that way instead.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Lucy has an EU passport (Portugal), so they've registered her that way instead.
Yep, I saw her on TV talking about that. Another reminder that Twitter rumours (and some Spanish media outlets!) don't fact-check their stories.

The WSL transfer window closes on Tuesday, and I'm still hoping that we'll get no transfer news from United women :lol:

Lightbringer

If this happens with Jackie that is a Man United fan since youth, you better expect that this will happen with the next player as well. $$$ talks, some UCL participation will be mentioned, but the cash PSG can offer Jackie and others is whats making the rules, just reality!

ArjenIsM3

Important player gone after the window closes. Not good.

We need to qualify for UCL
Yeah but that task will be harder still with Groenen gone. Can't believe we've let her go for 150k. I know that's probably a lot of money in women's football but surely we don't need it? Much more important to establish ourselves as a top club.

Lightbringer

Yeah but that task will be harder still with Groenen gone. Can't believe we've let her go for 150k. I know that's probably a lot of money in women's football but surely we don't need it? Much more important to establish ourselves as a top club.
Indeed. But P$G showed the $$$ to Jackie. I mean does it make sense to keep Jackie against her will and have her sign a pre-contract with P$G in january? Not an easy decision, but terrible it came now and not months ago. If it was another player than Groenen she would likely be given some bashing for leaving so late etc. Joining the P$G oil company over her childhood team lowers my respect for Jackie a bit tbh. In an ideal world its not just about money.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm sympathetic towards her on this one. Childhood club or not - she has never seemed that central to Skinner's strategy. She's always been the one playing out of position and wherever there's a gap in the team. As I said in the other thread, it's like United expected to lose her so they didn't plan for her to stay.

Now or at the end of the season? 150k doesn't seem worth it to me and if the sale is because Jackie was really that keen to go, it should have happened before our transfer window closed. It just feels sloppy on United's part.

I've seen it suggested that she rejected our final contract offer and it was only then that we allowed her to leave. Which again questions our negotiating strategy and our timing.

I just wonder what Jackie leaving means about our priorities and ambitions, and for that matter what it says about Marc Skinner's judgement of playing talent.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Shame to let her go, but I can understand it if she's been offered a better contract and CL football. From what I've seen, the reaction to her departure has been overly dramatic though (mostly Twitter, which of course is known for being the home of calm and level-headed takes). She isn't the first to leave us for a better team, and won't be the last. I think some United fans need to remember this women's team has never been one of the top teams, and some players might choose to make a step up in their career rather than stay and wait for us to establish ourselves, not knowing how long it'll take us to even qualify for the CL, let alone win a cup or a WSL title.

To be honest though, while she was our best midfielder on paper, I don't think she showed her quality consistently enough at United. It's not just a Skinner problem either. She played a lot under Stoney as well but I don't remember her setting the world on fire then - maybe I'm wrong. I was at the Euros game between Holland and Sweden and I think she played as well in that game as she did in any game for United. It's a shame we didn't get to see that version of Jackie consistently becuase she's obviously massively talented.

Hopefully the move is a good one for her. As for us, I don't think our priorities change. In my opinion our squad is still stronger overall, we have good options in midfield (Hopefully VBR can step up this season with Jackie gone) and City are possibly weaker than last season so 3rd place is still achievable.

Grande

Shame to let her go, but I can understand it if she's been offered a better contract and CL football. From what I've seen, the reaction to her departure has been overly dramatic though (mostly Twitter, which of course is known for being the home of calm and level-headed takes). She isn't the first to leave us for a better team, and won't be the last. I think some United fans need to remember this women's team has never been one of the top teams, and some players might choose to make a step up in their career rather than stay and wait for us to establish ourselves, not knowing how long it'll take us to even qualify for the CL, let alone win a cup or a WSL title.

To be honest though, while she was our best midfielder on paper, I don't think she showed her quality consistently enough at United. It's not just a Skinner problem either. She played a lot under Stoney as well but I don't remember her setting the world on fire then - maybe I'm wrong. I was at the Euros game between Holland and Sweden and I think she played as well in that game as she did in any game for United. It's a shame we didn't get to see that version of Jackie consistently becuase she's obviously massively talented.

Hopefully the move is a good one for her. As for us, I don't think our priorities change. In my opinion our squad is still stronger overall, we have good options in midfield (Hopefully VBR can step up this season with Jackie gone) and City are possibly weaker than last season so 3rd place is still achievable.
A few years ago, no Man Utd team existed for women, and we’ve gone about raising it slowly. For any player, going from us to PSG or Lyon is a no-brainer atm. I wish we could change gears now (as Stney wanted us to), because we’ve built a sound platform around the fourth place just outside of CL qualification, and with other teams constantly developping, we are going to need to move forward quickly not to be left behind. My worst nightmare is that Joel Glazer thinks the goal is to fight for fourth spot just like with the men.

Groenen never reached quite the sublime heights she’s shown for The Netherlands. She seems to me a deeper playing sister of Donny van de Beek, she needs to play with better players in the right system, and then she can be the one to unlock everything with the right key passes. Good lck to her in France, hope she opens her mouth about women’s lives and human rights in Quatar, but I’m not holding my breath.

Vilde Bøe Risa has good potential, she needs to get over the shock EC this summer. Think Hayle Ladd can be important this year.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Not sure how to react to this one. She's certainly no goalscorer and whether she really has something new/better to add in midfield I don't know.

A reinforcement certainly, which is a a good thing. If she's intended as an upgrade/replacement for Vilde Boe Risa or one of the forwards I'm not convinced.

Lightbringer

Not sure how to react to this one. She's certainly no goalscorer and whether she really has something new/better to add in midfield I don't know.

A reinforcement certainly, which is a a good thing. If she's intended as an upgrade/replacement for Vilde Boe Risa or one of the forwards I'm not convinced.
I have never heard of or seen the lass play so I can not tell. But Moores contract is out in the summer, so maybe Skinner is looking to replace his last recruitment who cant get any playing time with a similar deal? I recall some Belgium player being good at the last worlds or euros, if this is one them I cant recall. But I suppose trust Skinner and the process? (just half-ironic on the last part) :D

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Raging at Skinner?
I do think his track record on bringing in new players is unimpressive. Rachel Williams, Lucy Staniforth and Jade Moore haven't done much. Tounkara has barely been seen. Grace Clinton looked so promising before she came to us, but hasn't been seen since.

The jury is still out on Nikita Parris. As good as she used to be and as good as she sometimes looks now, it's not obvious why she seems to be an automatic starter and Adriana Leon for example (who's been on good form with Canada) doesn't even get a few minutes as a sub. Rotation and squad minutes just don't seem to be Skinner things.

The only real hit has been Maya le Tissier - we knew she was good and she's showing it.

I know we're constrained by money, but Parris for example won't have been cheap. Certainly, I can't believe that Rachel Daly is costing Villa more. So, hmmm - yeah, I won't be surprised if some of the barely used squad move out in January.

I guess the question is who are we replacing them with?

Glorio

Whoever's in the know, is it looking promising that Alessia will extend?

Demon Barber

Whoever's in the know, is it looking promising that Alessia will extend?
I am not in the know, but with United doing so well and her success with England, I doubt she will be going anywhere. It is a World Cup year, she is settled, and she is inseparable from Toone. She will sign

Lightbringer

I do think his track record on bringing in new players is unimpressive. Rachel Williams, Lucy Staniforth and Jade Moore haven't done much. Tounkara has barely been seen. Grace Clinton looked so promising before she came to us, but hasn't been seen since.

The jury is still out on Nikita Parris. As good as she used to be and as good as she sometimes looks now, it's not obvious why she seems to be an automatic starter and Adriana Leon for example (who's been on good form with Canada) doesn't even get a few minutes as a sub. Rotation and squad minutes just don't seem to be Skinner things.

The only real hit has been Maya le Tissier - we knew she was good and she's showing it.

I know we're constrained by money, but Parris for example won't have been cheap. Certainly, I can't believe that Rachel Daly is costing Villa more. So, hmmm - yeah, I won't be surprised if some of the barely used squad move out in January.

I guess the question is who are we replacing them with?
Of all the United womens circles I follow, you seem to be the most balanced of them all. Otherwise it seem to be Skinner OUT or Skinner GENIUS :-)

I feel like Skinner is in a tough place, the fans are demanding UCL, and United does not have a very good bench compared to Arsenal and Chelsea. So Skinner would be risking the UCL spot if he rotates more and plays less quality player more playing time. For example Parris have been subbed in minuted 60 many times, but thats the only moves Skinner does make that early and really gives minutes to someone on the bench.

If Skinner rotates more and we lose 3rd place, fans will rage against him, if he gets 3rd place fans will rage against him for not keeping all players "happy". Has any manager ever kept every player happy? (maybe Stoney?) The are so few games in the womens game that you can basically run your best team if you are not playing UCL. I am a bit torn on this subject. I would like Skinner to make some some subs earlier in the games though. i was one of the first starting to moan about that when the other team has 5 fresh players on while United have some starters that look knackered etc.

Was Daily available before the Parris deal was struck?

Ps. At least we got Lotta Ökvist (who is still popular among United fans on twitter) back at Hammarby now :devil: (although she will be competing with swedish national team left back Jonna Andersson for that spot)

RORY65

Looks like United may be signing Lisa Naalsund, a Norwegian midfielder. It seems like the fee might be the highest United have paid so presumably she would be coming to play a serious role, not just to add depth if Staniforth and Moore (both of whom seldom play anyway) leave.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Looks like United may be signing Lisa Naalsund, a Norwegian midfielder. It seems like the fee might be the highest United have paid so presumably she would be coming to play a serious role, not just to add depth if Staniforth and Moore (both of whom seldom play anyway) leave.
I don't remember seeing her play at all. Can anyone tell us more? As far as I know she hasn't played outside Norway and according to Wikipedia she's only played a few games for the national team.

I'm not sure what would make her so valuable to us - maybe someone else does - but I'll welcome her in and wish her luck if she does arrive :D

croadyman

Interesting to see Spurs bringing in England and Nobbs going to Villa. I am surprised we aren't in for some fringe options like them

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Looks like Lucy Staniforth is leaving. It's thought that she's off to join to join Aston Villa - on a permanent deal, not a loan.

She didn't travel to Malta for the training camp this week. The reports say that's because she had United's permission to stay behind to finalise her move.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Lisa Naalsund is a very physical player. More so than the majority of the mids at the club. I'm not sure if I'd call her a B2B, she doesn't offer much going forward goals wise, but is good defensively.

She missed the Euro's with injury, she often plays instead of VBR, but I think they would have played together at club level before. I sort of think she'd be best rotating with Zels, but Skinner would have to learn how to use his squad. Would be a good signing, better than the Reading player we were linked with before.

I also saw Galton wasn't on the Malta trip, hopefully she's just ill at home.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Looks like Lucy Staniforth is leaving. It's thought that she's off to join to join Aston Villa - on a permanent deal, not a loan.

She didn't travel to Malta for the training camp this week. The reports say that's because she had United's permission to stay behind to finalise her move.
Confirmed by the club earlier today:

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

Looks like we could be signing Jayde Riviere in the next few days. From what I've seen (after spending 5 minutes on Twitter) she's a 21 year old full back who was part of the gold medal winning Canadian Olympic team in 2021. She's also recovering from a long term injury so probably wouldn't have an immediate impact. Still, it seems like the right profile of player we should be targeting, especially as we have so few options at full back and there's no guarantee on Batlle staying beyond this season.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Looks like we could be signing Jayde Riviere in the next few days. From what I've seen (after spending 5 minutes on Twitter) she's a 21 year old full back who was part of the gold medal winning Canadian Olympic team in 2021. She's also recovering from a long term injury so probably wouldn't have an immediate impact. Still, it seems like the right profile of player we should be targeting, especially as we have so few options at full back and there's no guarantee on Batlle staying beyond this season.
She's incredibly talented. Manchester United is a solid next step for her to take. As a United fan, I hope that she can stick around for a long while, but don't be surprised if she heads over to either the NWSL or the new Canadian women's league eventually.

TMS

She's incredibly talented. Manchester United is a solid next step for her to take. As a United fan, I hope that she can stick around for a long while, but don't be surprised if she heads over to either the NWSL or the new Canadian women's league eventually.
For those with more knowledge than me, how big is the gap between Europe (specifically the WSL) compared to the NWSL? In terms of league quality but also in terms of wages etc? Is that gap being closed or is womens football growing at a similar pace over there still?

just hopeful thinking if she is that talented that by the time she’s ready for another step that she doesn’t actually need to move as Europe and United have reached that level themselves.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
For those with more knowledge than me, how big is the gap between Europe (specifically the WSL) compared to the NWSL? In terms of league quality but also in terms of wages etc? Is that gap being closed or is womens football growing at a similar pace over there still?

just hopeful thinking if she is that talented that by the time she’s ready for another step that she doesn’t actually need to move as Europe and United have reached that level themselves.
As good as the European teams are getting, the NWSL is still one tier above them. The gap will reduce over time, but I don't think Europe will ever equal NWSL unless the European teams start investing way more into the women's sport.

Regardless, top-tier Canadian women like Kadeisha Buchanan, Jessie Fleming, and Ashley Lawrence have spent their whole career in Europe, whilst very promising young Canadians like Julia Grosso and Clarissa Larisey are kicking off their pro careers in Europe. There's a decent chance that Jayde Riviere can spend her whole career at United, but that's only if she's paid well enough and remains settled in the north of England, and United remain one of the top teams in England.

TMS

As good as the European teams are getting, the NWSL is still one tier above them. The gap will reduce over time, but I don't think Europe will ever equal NWSL unless the European teams start investing way more into the women's sport.

Regardless, top-tier Canadian women like Kadeisha Buchanan, Jessie Fleming, and Ashley Lawrence have spent their whole career in Europe, whilst very promising young Canadians like Julia Grosso and Clarissa Larisey are kicking off their pro careers in Europe. There's a decent chance that Jayde Riviere can spend her whole career at United, but that's only if she's paid well enough and remains settled in the north of England, and United remain one of the top teams in England.
That's really informative, thanks!

RORY65

Backup for Ona Batlle, or a sign that the latter is leaving in summer?
Cover for now, we only have 2 full backs and we always look way worse when we have to play someone out of position there (it could be that Batlle moves to left back too), but obviously it's a good replacement in case Batlle leaves in the summer which I would guess is likely right now.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Backup for Ona Batlle, or a sign that the latter is leaving in summer?
She was one of the first names in the team sheet for Canada before she got injured, and she was a key player all the way through our Olympic gold medal success in Tokyo. If she's coming in, I'd be surprised if she's not a starter; she can easily start for us and become one of our better players.