Woodward's summer objectives

bushyboy

Lukaku is a goal machine but he has always scored in patches. To win a title you need a consistent striker. Lukaku is not that guy, I hope he develops consistency but it doesn't seem likely.
I agree on the young talents. However, when is the last time a team won the title with a 21 and 23 year old up front, especially if we add Sancho. To win a title you need players at their peaks. The only players at their peak or coming into their peaks who are good enough are Pogba, De Gea, Lindelof, Martial and Shaw.
I back Ole 100%. However, its the board who need to back him. Not in one transfer window but in multiple. Jose got this squad to 2nd and they signed Grant, Fred and Dalot. When in reality we needed Griezmann and Alderweireld on top of that.
We need a winger and a CB. Both are priorities. However, I would argue we need two fullbacks. Valencia and Darmian are both leaving. Shaw is inconsistent in fitness, if he gets injured we will have Young at LB again which disrupts the balance of the team. We need a RB and a LB and Young can be fifth choice. The squad lacks depth for me, and CB is the area we have depth in and is full of average players. A midfielder is needed, one that can provide creativity. Without Pogba we cannot break teams down. Matic is also worn down and we may need a DM as well. Therefore, someone who can play both roles like Ndombele or Neves is crucial. We need 2-3 transfer windows before we will challenge, and we need to keep our only world class players in De Gea and Pogba. That is no small task for Ole.
You my friend, know your football. Unfortunately Woodward and the Glazers don't and can't be trusted to fix our team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
4. Get Sanchez off the books. Whatever the cost, he has to go, his mere being is causing wage structure and contract renewal issues. Get him gone ASAP.

I see people repeatedly say this, but surely players and agents will simply say they've seen how much we are willing to pay someone, and whether they're there or not, it's already set the precedent.

"You paid 300-400k a week to Sanchez".

"Oh but he's gone now"

"You still were willing to pay it"

etc

jesperjaap

How soon? Klopp legitimately has 15-16 players that have maintained a high level all year. We have several glaring holes in our first XI, nevermind what backs them up. Liverpool's strength is its depth.
With Liverpool the bulk of Klopps team was produced within a couple of windows. They had Salah but glaring holes. He bought Robertson, Mane and Firmino and they last season filled in the remining glaring holes with a quality centre back and goalkeeper, spent a lot but spent well and had the added bonus of Gomez and Arnold breaking through.

Remember only 18 months or so ago we were slightly ahead of them. I completely agree we have a few glaring holes, we do have two or three great youngsters ready to come through. I think we actually have a lot of depth in our squad, just not a great first eleven. Four quality signings in the right positions and there is no reason we cant compete. Problem is we have had similar a few windows and bought really badly in my opinion. I think the Pogba window was the only good one since Fergie retired, Miki didnt work out, Ibrahimovic was at the wrong age and Bailly just hasnt improved upon a good first season.....which being our best window, sums up how bad they have been

crossy1686

career ending
I see people repeatedly say this, but surely players and agents will simply say they've seen how much we are willing to pay someone, and whether they're there or not, it's already set the precedent.

"Oh but he's gone now"

etc
I understand the notion that the flood gates have already opened but no one is going to bat an eyelid if it's De Gea making that money, that's not the issue. It's the fact someone who's arguably our worst forward player is making that money. I'm not saying don't pay it, I'm saying pay it to the people that have earned it.

Lynty

Lukaku is a goal machine but he has always scored in patches. To win a title you need a consistent striker. Lukaku is not that guy, I hope he develops consistency but it doesn't seem likely.
I agree on the young talents. However, when is the last time a team won the title with a 21 and 23 year old up front, especially if we add Sancho. To win a title you need players at their peaks. The only players at their peak or coming into their peaks who are good enough are Pogba, De Gea, Lindelof, Martial and Shaw.
I back Ole 100%. However, its the board who need to back him. Not in one transfer window but in multiple. Jose got this squad to 2nd and they signed Grant, Fred and Dalot. When in reality we needed Griezmann and Alderweireld on top of that.
We need a winger and a CB. Both are priorities. However, I would argue we need two fullbacks. Valencia and Darmian are both leaving. Shaw is inconsistent in fitness, if he gets injured we will have Young at LB again which disrupts the balance of the team. We need a RB and a LB and Young can be fifth choice. The squad lacks depth for me, and CB is the area we have depth in and is full of average players. A midfielder is needed, one that can provide creativity. Without Pogba we cannot break teams down. Matic is also worn down and we may need a DM as well. Therefore, someone who can play both roles like Ndombele or Neves is crucial. We need 2-3 transfer windows before we will challenge, and we need to keep our only world class players in De Gea and Pogba. That is no small task for Ole.
Completely disagree that we need 2-3 windows.

Take a look at Liverpool’s squad compared to ours. They’re able to challenge with only Virgil and Robertson as standout defenders, good but not exceptional midfielders and a very good front 3 with not much depth ib attacking positions.

Alisson, Simon Mignolet

Nathaniel Clyne, Virgil van Dijk, Dejan Lovren, Joe Gomez, Ragnar Klavan, Alberto Moreno, Andrew Robertson, Joel Matip, Trent Alexander-Arnold

Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum, James Milner, Naby Keita, Jordan Henderson, Marko Grujic, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Daniel Sturridge, Xherdan Shaqiri, Rhian Brewster, Divock Origi, Dominic Solanke

-

David De Gea,Lee Grant, Sergio Romero, Joel Pereira

Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Axel Tuanzebe

Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira, Fred, Ander Herrera, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay

Alexis Sanchez, Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Jesse Lingard, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood

I’m convinced 2 quality players could take us into a title challenge. It’ll take many more windows for us to become a force in Europe again.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Moyes would have said that if that was the case. Also, Woodward was learning from Gill. Us not signing anyone other than Fellaini that summer is due to Moyes sticking to the targets he had and not moving on to other choices. That most recent interview he did he listed those same players and said we were close to getting them. Those were the only players he wanted that summer.
Well yes that's how it works if you haven't been paying attention to the last 3 managers, they give Woodward a list to work on, they don't change their list mid transfer season. Fabregas and Kroos were attainable and moved the following season, and Woodward seems to have no issue with Bale being a target. There was nothing egregious about Moyes' list, it was fair.

TRUERED89

good but not exceptional midfielders
Liverpool have average midfielders if you ask me. If we can add just Sancho and Koulibally I think this squad can challenge, perhaps a younger replacement for Matic but McTominay may be able to fulfil that role..

deadrevelz

"Oh but he's gone now"

etc
It's a concern, but either way it's not going to hurt getting him off the books. He's one of our worst performing players anyway. Plus it shows that unless you are a world class player who earns it, you won't be getting those wages.

deadrevelz

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ds-decision-get-technical-director-proof-can/

Jason Burt: United still intend on getting 'technical director', rather than Director of Football. Position will be on par with Ole, not above him. Will look at longer term goals but won't have more power than manager or Woodward, even on the football side of things.

Essentially Woodward believes he needs an advisor and someone to share workload / blame, but still sees himself as the real DoF.

haram

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ds-decision-get-technical-director-proof-can/

Jason Burt: United still intend on getting 'technical director', rather than Director of Football. Position will be on par with Ole, not above him. Will look at longer term goals but won't have more power than manager or Woodward, even on the football side of things.

Essentially Woodward believes he needs an advisor and someone to share workload / blame, but still sees himself as the real DoF.
If he wouldn't have more power than Ed even on the football side of things it would be fecking ridiculous. Who the hell does Ed think he is?

haram

The CEO of Manchester United maybe? :lol:
Ok and why does he think (I know it's speculation) that he deserves this amount of power when it comes to the footballing side? It's like its one big ego thing with him.

TRUERED89

Ok and why does he think (I know it's speculation) that he deserves this amount of power when it comes to the footballing side? It's like its one big ego thing with him.
He has all the power, unless someone assassinates him he can do what the feck he wants, unfortunately.

deadrevelz

Definitely ego. People find it hard to relinquish power. Sometimes especially when they are failing. It's possible he made the case to the Glazers before being hired that he had what it takes to control all aspects of the club... if he has to hand his influence to someone else maybe they would start questioning why they are paying Ed so much?

deadrevelz

More points:

More likely that appointment of technical director will be made internally, though not certain. Club believes recent Ole resurgence shows that they need to stay within the United DNA.

Mourinho wanted a DoF, specifically one that he knew, Luis Campos. Ed disliked the idea because he didn't want someone who shared too much in common with the manager, as opposed to being independent. Doesn't mention if the problem was specifically Mourinho, but implies Ed would have this view regardless of who the manager was.

cathari

Probably because after he was made Executive Vice Chairman, the club hired Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho. All failed appointments that sought out to replace SAF (an impossible task), instead of restructuring (like Arsenal i.e.) and which I think effectively had him take up more responsibilities from the manager on the behalf of the board.

haram

Probably because after he was made Executive Vice Chairman, the club hired Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho. All failed appointments that sought out to replace SAF (an impossible task), instead of restructuring (like Arsenal i.e.) and which I think effectively had him take up more responsibilities from the manager on the behalf of the board.
He hired these managers. He should have less responsibility, not more.

cathari

He hired these managers. He should have less responsibility, not more.
That is a shared opinion on him, yes, but I highly doubt the board ever considered going this way under said managers.

El-Manos

Essentially Woodward believes he needs an advisor and someone to share workload / blame, but still sees himself as the real Don.
Fixed

Denis' cuff

Woody is saving money, as we saw in the last 3 transfer windows (net spend). He'll do whatever it takes to spend as little as possible while maintaining top 4. Top 4 is the only thing he seems to care about.

Jose called him out, last Summer and made Woody look like a gimp. Unfortunately, Woodward won't be changing his ways. If/when Sokjaer fails to get top 4, he'll get the sack and another manager will be employed to be the fall guy.
Yep. Don’t know why people don’t get this

micmac

"Oh but he's gone now"

etc
This exactly, I don't get how people don't see this, head in the sand stuff. Some people feel if you break a glass and buy a new one the broken glass never existed.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanGaalyTime

Agreed. I would argue the only window in which we've actually spent according to our wealth is in 2016 when we bought Pogba. Bailly and Mkhitaryan. And even during that window we had a normal net spend due to the sales of Schenderlin and Depay. Not sure we even had a net spend of 150m! Last summer we were outspent by Fulham, Wolves, and obviously Liverpool and Chelsea. Man City came close to outspending us again, even though we needed to revamp the entire team and they won the league by 17 points! If United spend 200m on the team this summer, they can win the league. If we have yet another summer of a net spend less than 50-100m, we'll struggle, regardless of the management staff. We require either two 100m players or four 50m players to succeed. RM, CD and CM are the priorities.

Lynty

Liverpool have average midfielders if you ask me. If we can add just Sancho and Koulibally I think this squad can challenge, perhaps a younger replacement for Matic but McTominay may be able to fulfil that role..
I agree, they’re nothing special. But about 4 of them (Winjaldum, Fabinho, Ox and Keita) could potentially force themselves into our starting midfield.

So maybe a bit above average.

TRUERED89

I agree, they’re nothing special. But about 4 of them (Winjaldum, Fabinho, Ox and Keita) could potentially force themselves into our starting midfield.

So maybe a bit above average.
I'd take Fabinho for Matic and no one else, don't rate any of them. VVD, Robertson and their front 3 is what makes them so good atm.

Fosu-Mens

Fans still thinks that the club main goal is to perform on the pitch and win trophies, and not making money. LVG, despite all his faults, was spot on when saying that MUFC is not a football club, it is a business.

We should hope that potential transfer targets do not view the club in this light.

Stacks

Completely disagree that we need 2-3 windows.

Take a look at Liverpool’s squad compared to ours. They’re able to challenge with only Virgil and Robertson as standout defenders, good but not exceptional midfielders and a very good front 3 with not much depth ib attacking positions.

Alisson, Simon Mignolet

Nathaniel Clyne, Virgil van Dijk, Dejan Lovren, Joe Gomez, Ragnar Klavan, Alberto Moreno, Andrew Robertson, Joel Matip, Trent Alexander-Arnold

Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum, James Milner, Naby Keita, Jordan Henderson, Marko Grujic, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Daniel Sturridge, Xherdan Shaqiri, Rhian Brewster, Divock Origi, Dominic Solanke

-

David De Gea,Lee Grant, Sergio Romero, Joel Pereira

Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Axel Tuanzebe

Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira, Fred, Ander Herrera, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay

Alexis Sanchez, Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Jesse Lingard, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood

I’m convinced 2 quality players could take us into a title challenge. It’ll take many more windows for us to become a force in Europe again.
finally some sense. If we signed Hazard or Griezmann (assuming he performs to his Athetico levels) would we not be worth a challenge already? Ok worse case scenario we signed another class CM or CB. Would prefer a RB though.

ForestRGoinUp

finally some sense. If we signed Hazard or Griezmann (assuming he performs to his Athetico levels) would we not be worth a challenge already? Ok worse case scenario we signed another class CM or CB. Would prefer a RB though.
Klopp has brought in 10 key players since arriving. Their depth in midfield is significantly better than ours and they have 3 attackers who could be argued to be as good or better than our best attacker (which protects them in a way from a lack of depth). We do need a nailed on attacker like you mention, unless Ole can find the cheaper versions like Mane and Salah and extract 15-30 goals out of them.

Denis' cuff

Fans still thinks that the club main goal is to perform on the pitch and win trophies, and not making money. LVG, despite all his faults, was spot on when saying that MUFC is not a football club, it is a business.

We should hope that potential transfer targets do not view the club in this light.
I think they already do. Viz: Sanchez, albeit offset to a degree by no transfer fee. De Gea, possibly but he might not be stalling for more money, as most tabloids are saying but he probably wants to compete at the top and were not even certs to play in next years CL, never mind win it or the PL. Demands from player agents getting sillier, though. we’re really going to need to be level headed and hope our staff can pick a rising player who doesn’t act like he’s doing us a big favour. If they’re only here for the money, we shouldn’t be taking them on but it seems EW thinks their marketability outweighs their cost as well as contribution. We signed big players as well as rising players in the past but only recall Keane and Rooney pushing hard to break the pay threshold. It has become worse and will get worse still, particularly whilst our decision makers see it as a dick swinging exercise.

roseguy64

Well yes that's how it works if you haven't been paying attention to the last 3 managers, they give Woodward a list to work on, they don't change their list mid transfer season. Fabregas and Kroos were attainable and moved the following season, and Woodward seems to have no issue with Bale being a target. There was nothing egregious about Moyes' list, it was fair.
I agree that it was fair but that's why we had Fellaini in after his clause expired. We were still making bids for Fabregas.

finneh

Woody is saving money, as we saw in the last 3 transfer windows (net spend). He'll do whatever it takes to spend as little as possible while maintaining top 4. Top 4 is the only thing he seems to care about.

Jose called him out, last Summer and made Woody look like a gimp. Unfortunately, Woodward won't be changing his ways. If/when Sokjaer fails to get top 4, he'll get the sack and another manager will be employed to be the fall guy.
In truth it isn't Woodward's money.
The problem is shown clearly as below (courtesy of Swiss Ramble):

Sereques

@deadrevelz What Ed has done very well was to revamp the academy and scouting system. It was a mess when Gill left, RVP won’t even put his kid there.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
It seems that Varane wouldn't mind to leave Madrid and Zizou doesn't consider him an untouchable Starting XI player anymore.

Wish he would sign for Utd.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I agree that it was fair but that's why we had Fellaini in after his clause expired. We were still making bids for Fabregas.
And how exactly is that Moyes' fault? Moyes isn't the one negotiating for players. It's reasonable to think that Woodwards inexperience led to a slow start in the transfer market.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It doesn't take multiple windows to transform an average team into a top one.

See: Real Madrid 2009.

It just takes mega investment.

Beyond what we will be willing to spend, that's for sure.

Bayern just paid £68m for a leftback.

A top attacker of a good age will easily run £150m (see: Coutinho, Dembele, Mbappe).

SirAF

Ageist
It doesn't take multiple windows to transform an average team into a top one.

See: Real Madrid 2009.

It just takes mega investment.

Beyond what we will be willing to spend, that's for sure.

Bayern just paid £68m for a leftback.

A top attacker of a good age will easily run £150m (see: Coutinho, Dembele, Mbappe).
Bingo.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pogba, Matic and Herrera, our first-choice midfield, are too inconsistent for me. We a couple of quality additions in that area if we are ever to sustain a title challenge.