g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Woody Review

Jerch

Oh FFS. There is probably a good reason why we didn't already bought Pedro. Maybe there is another player available, maybe LVG doesn't rate him as much as Barca, we will never know.

I don't believe for a second that Woodward wouldn't pay asking price if LVG would tell him he absolutely needs him.

kps88

Can't blame him until we know for sure what happened. It's entirely possible Pedro or Barcelona were the ones holding up the deal and Woody did all he could to close it. Something like Barcelona refused to deal until their cup games were over and Pedro changed his mind last minute because he prefers London.

Heardy

If we've lost out on Pedro, and don't sign anyone else this window, then I'd say he's fecked up all the goodwill be built up in the early parts of the window.
Yup, feels like he peaked too early! If we hold on to De Gea, that will help his case I suppose, but i'd have expected a CB and forward this window - I think the majority of United fans would agree with that.

Heardy

Oh FFS. There is probably a good reason why we didn't already bought Pedro. Maybe there is another player available, maybe LVG doesn't rate him as much as Barca, we will never know.

I don't believe for a second that Woodward wouldn't pay asking price if LVG would tell him he absolutely needs him.
That will only be a worthwhile argument if we source someone along the lines of Kane, Bale, Benzema, Reus - but if we don't because "they aren't for sale" then we missed a trick of adding a player of good calibre in Pedro who is available, appears to be open to the move, and we faffed over instalments despite having freed up a bucket load of cash in weekly wages.

Jerch

That will only be a worthwhile argument if we source someone along the lines of Kane, Bale, Benzema, Reus - but if we don't because "they aren't for sale" then we missed a trick of adding a player of good calibre in Pedro who is available, appears to be open to the move, and we faffed over instalments despite having freed up a bucket load of cash in weekly wages.
How do you know that. It is all guesswork. It is reported that Chelsea didn't payed 30m euros upfront too.

Maybe just maybe LVG don't want Pedro as much as we think...

Heardy

How do you know that. It is all guesswork. It is reported that Chelsea didn't payed 30m euros upfront too.

Maybe just maybe LVG don't want Pedro as much as we think...
Fair point - it just seemed too close to completion for there not to have been interest on both parties.

Jerch

Fair point - it just seemed too close to completion for there not to have been interest on both parties.
We probably have interest in many players, it is obvious we had interest in Pedro, but i think LVG changed his mind about him for some reason. Maybe he want to give youngsters the opportunity or maybe there is another player which we were chasing available.

But i don't believe we didn't bought Pedro because of the price.

Loon

:lol:
This "Woody" stuff has always irked me. Even if he pulls Bale out of the bag come close of window, United conducting business half-arsedly is not a great thing to see.

RedStarUnited

The problem Woodward face is, when deals dont complete he is always the one that looks bad. He should probably stop leakign sotries about having a warchest by the way. It doesnt make him or us look good when deals fall through seemingly because of money (Like this).

littlepeasoup

I blame the di Maria fiasco. If we were dead set on him, I'm sure it would have happened... unless he actually preferred Chelsea in which case there's absolutely nothing to be done there.

Bojan11

I feel we will get another big signing.

We certainly got the money for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

We need too.

I just don't see how anyone can think that the same attack as last season (where we scored something like 60 goals) - RVP / Di Maria + Depay (even if he is a huge upgrade on the former two) is enough to challenge.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We need too.

I just don't see how anyone can think that the same attack as last season (where we scored something like 60 goals) - RVP / Di Maria + Depay (even if he is a huge upgrade on the former two) is enough to challenge.
Yeah, we definitely need to add another striker. If Rooney continues to struggle, then we arguably don't have a single top class striker in our side. Been a long time since that was the case.

marcomanmufc

Problem is that i see huge similarities between this window and that one under Moyes.

At best we have been using Pedro as a smokescreen while we do other business for a better player, at worst, we've been greedy and thought that no one would even look at Pedro while we tried to save some £.

2 years ago we were chasing Bale, Kroos, Fabregas and Herrera, only to get none of them. We shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket, with so little time in the window left. Buy Pedro and then go for Muller, Bale or Griezman. At least that way if you're not able to secure that player, at least you're not left high and dry.

Its disappointing, as i think he would have been a good edition, but if we go and get another player which helps explain the reason for this, then it'll just be water under the bridge. Also if we're planning to give Januzaj and Peirera a real shot, then i'm also ok with that too, but we need to come out and say we're putting our faith in youth; otherwise we just look like idiots.

Iron Stove

If we've lost out on Pedro, and don't sign anyone else this window, then I'd say he's fecked up all the goodwill be built up in the early parts of the window.
At this point in time, how could you tell whether he fecked up in any way though? The most likely scenario is that Van Gaal decided against the deal or that the player chose Chelsea. I don't believe that the deal broke down because we were haggling about paying €5m in installments or whatever was being reported. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I feel as if the Caf both blames and praises Woody too much based on which players we get in, when in reality it's most likely not up to him. He only negotiates.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
The Pedro deal I don't think came down to money.

He either picked Chelsea over us or LVG has decided he's not what he needs. Both sides of that have arguments for and against it.

I'm not Woodwards biggest fan... I think he has overpaid a number of times whilst also chasing the big superstar name that wasn't achievable but this one isn't on him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
At this point in time, how could you tell whether he fecked up in any way though? The most likely scenario is that Van Gaal decided against the deal or that the player chose Chelsea. I don't believe that the deal broke down because we were haggling about paying €5m in installments or whatever was being reported. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I feel as if the Caf both blame and praise Woody too much based on which players we get in, when in reality it's most likely not up to him. He just negotiates.
Thats why I said, "don't sign anyone else this window"

Unless LVG really thinks we're fine as we are... which I'd find worrying.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Obviously, the way it goes will be:

- United wanted Pedro
- Pedro wanted United
- Woody spent weeks trying to get the fee down by a couple of million
- Chelsea swoop in and pay the fee
- Woodward is a moron

When, probably we pulled the plug on the deal for whatever reasoning is in Van Gaal's head.

Leg-End

Hell hath no fury like a Woody scorned.

Net spend in the window of about £20 million, he's probably cackling to himself reading the nonsense of us suddenly penny pinching again, same people will probably be rimming him in 2 weeks when he pulls off another blockbuster.

Iron Stove

Thats why I said, "don't sign anyone else this window"

Unless LVG really thinks we're fine as we are... which I'd find worrying.
Fair enough, I don't find a lot to worry about personally. We look solid to me, better than last year anyway. Not world beaters yet, but except for a select few years we never really did.

I think there's a good chance we have a surprise in store this window as well.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Wouldn't blame Woodward here. Name me one 20 + goals striker that is obtainable atm. Such player would have to compete with our captain who happens to be virtually undroppable. Hence, if we are to sign an attacker, it would have to be one of the highest order.

We don't want to go down the Liverpool route, i.e signing quantity instead of quality.

I think the Januzaj/Pereira argument might bear some truth but I can't help feeling that our sudden loss of interest in Pedro may have something to do with Depay's performance as well.

It's easy to moan but this time round is so much different to Moyes's transfer window. First, we've already signed 4 top players and secondly, there literally are a handful of top players left on the market, let alone strikers.

Tomuś

Your head is in the clouds or the sand if you believe the "Van Gaal didn't want him" line.
He did want Pedro but the reasons for blocking the deal are not money-orientated imo. Neither Van Gaal nor Woodward have a history of penny-pinching. It's more comfortable for transfer muppets to throw shit at Van Gaal because of his alleged valuation of Pedro than to admit they don't rate our academy products or don't trust the manager at all for starters.

Cina

Your head is in the clouds or the sand if you believe the "Van Gaal didn't want him" line.
The same notoriously fussy van Gaal who has a history of being incredibly picky when it comes to players and unwilling to be bullied with fees, and if possible prefers to give youngsters a chance?

Or a different van Gaal?

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
He's definitely gone down in my book after fecking up the Pedro transfer.

He can only redeem himself with a Muller, Bale or Lewandowski type deal, in my opinion.

Kaos

We've spent almost £250million since last summer, there's almost no chance this has anything to do us penny pinching.

He's joining Chelsea because either:

- He doesn't want to join us
- LVG doesn't want him

Either of those reasons are good enough for me, those of you with the knives already out for Woodward need to get a fecking grip.

Shark

@NotShark
He's definitely gone down in my book after fecking up the Pedro transfer.

He can only redeem himself with a Muller, Bale or Lewandowski type deal, in my opinion.
Oh how generous of you. They're all super realistic targets.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There has been a lot of good press for Woody in recent times, but just how impressive has he been in the transfer Windows.

I'll start with the ins, but someone feel free to belp me out with the sales!

Obviously this is all speculation, we can't know quite how impressive or not he has been, but it's fun to speculate!

In (source - soccerbase for values):
Fellaini - £27.4m
Was available at £24m, other targets didn't work out. Got reserve choice and not a huge premium, but still over priced. Woody rating 4/10

Mata - £37.1m
Was one of Chelseas best players, yes maybe not wanted any more, but still managed to buy from one of biggest rivals. That being said there was an advantage from Chelseas point of view to strengthen us against rivals that season having already played us twice. Overall 7/10

Herrera £29m release cause, hard to say impressive, just standard business lined up well in advance. 5/10

Luke Shaw - £27m very expensive youngster, but Chelsea competition and rated one of best left backs, also English. You'd have to say fair but not wow business. 5/10

Rojo - £16m fair price, impressed for Argentina, overall fairly good business for relative unknown 6/10

Falcao - a loan at huge cost for a potential megastar. Given our lack of Champions League you have to say good business at the time even if expensive and didn't work out. 7/10

Di Maria - Madrid fairly happy to sell and we still paid £60m, but he was one of their best players and arguably a world xii. Price seems fair, convincing him to join a non Champions League club is good work. Again 7/10

Valdes - free top class gk, albeit recovering from injury. Seems good business even if didn't work out 8/10

Daley Blind - £13.8m sounds pretty cheap and likely work done on LVGs part, but overall good value 7/10

Depay - £31m expensive for a talented youngster, but arguably well worth it with huge potential. A deal struck at the last min. Feels like one of best deals even if price is arguably just the going rate. 7/10

Darmian £12.7m - another relative unknown, but fairly cheap to solve a RB problem. 7/10

Schweinsteigar - £14.4m sounds cheap for a man of his calibre, but might not be at his best and comes with astronomic wages. Good work to get him though for a fair price 8/10

Schneiderlin - £25m, probably a relatively easy signing to make, but good price when you compare to Shaw. Could easily have been £10m more. 8/10

Romero - free, sounds like a backup and can't go too far wrong for free 5/10

Overall I'd lean at 7/10 performance. Reasonable for the less known players, going rate/ fair for the others.
Also worth noting the players we've moved on - RvP, Falcao, Nani, Di Maria, Rafa etc. which has likely massively rebalanced our wage bill and positioned us well for future transfers.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Why wouldnt anyone believe that?
So we chase a player for about a month, haggling over £2 million (God knows why....) and then one of our biggest rivals get the deal done in 2 days. Then journalists get a "LVG didn't want him anyway." line from the club.

It's ridiculous. I'd say it's trying to save face but there's none to be saved.

Tomuś

We've spent almost £250million since last summer, there's almost no chance this has anything to do us penny pinching.
Exactly. I struggle to imagine Van Gaal on the phone, talking to Woodward who's in Catalonia:

-'how much they want?'
-'22m, nothing new there'
-'Get it to 18m, those 4 remaining shall be in installments'
-'no chance, Louie.'
-'ok come back'.

Morpheus 7

I really doubt this is Woody, he's done well this window up until this point. I really doubt it's him here, the man had a buy out clause and wanted to leave. He even mentioned us for feck sake, this is LVG i think. We are missing a part of the story here and it remains to be seen what he will do next, maybe a primary target has became available. There is more to this one, bit silly to blame Woodword at this stage.

Mali_Zeus

So we chase a player for about a month, haggling over £2 million (God knows why....) and then one of our biggest rivals get the deal done in 2 days. Then journalists get a "LVG didn't want him anyway." line from the club.

It's ridiculous. I'd say it's trying to save face but there's none to be saved.
You'll believe what you want to believe.

Seveneric

Poor thing, back to his status as village idiot over something that by most accounts, Van Gaal took the final decision on.