World Cup 2018 & 2022 bids

Cal?

CR7 fan
Something else to talk about, who do you want to get the tournament(s)?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Personally I'm hoping for England in 18 & Japan in 22 (I know it's unlikely).

Flying Fox

I'm hoping Australia gets at least one of the two. I've had it from every AFL-leaning peron I know who seems to think we won't be getting it anyway. Revenge would be sweet.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
USA, Japan and Korea can all feck off because they have done it relatively recently.
Plus I dont like joint bids so we can cross those off.
I also dont see how a country as small as Qatar could possibly host the World Cup.

Leaves England, Oz and Russia - all have quite strong cases for hosting.

For selfish reason I would like to see one in England and then the other has to be in Australia as they wont have 2 in Europe in a row.

Job done - I will be sending FIFA a bill for my consultancy services.

Flying Fox

USA, Japan and Korea can all feck off because they have done it relatively recently.
I also dont see how a country as small as Qatar could possibly host the World Cup.

For selfish reason I would like to see one in England and then the other has to be in Australia as they wont have 2 in Europe in a row.

:lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan

That's all very well, but USA & Japan have the economic power and population on their side.

Europe will get 2018 - just between Engladn & Spain/Portugal.

As for 2012 - USA, Japan and Australia all have a chance, Australia because they've never had one, USA because they're the biggest market, whilst Japan would probably be the best host.

Dyslexic Untied

Australia and Spain/Portugal would be nice.

Australia to bring another continent into the game.

Spain because it is close, I have an appartment there and it would make for a nice tournament I think.

England have "just" had 1996 and will be hosting the Olympics as well (not that it matters).

USA had 1994 - so I'd think others were in front.

The others would be boring.

Cal?

CR7 fan
england 2018

us 2022, however i think qatar would be a very interesting choice.
Qatar are just there to make up the number, they have NO chance at all.

Never mind the fact that they don't have the size to have so many stadiums, forget the fact they aren't very good at all, they just don't have the political sway to get a tournament like this.

Japan are the dominating force in the AFC, so my guess is that all of you who support Australia will be disappointed.

pauldyson1uk

Qatar would make a cracking choice , I think they would do a good job.
Australia would be good they have some good venues ,only down side would be having to watch the games at daft oclock.
Hopefully England for 2018

Flying Fox

Australia would be good they have some good venues ,only down side would be having to watch the games at daft oclock.
Welcome to our world Paul! :lol:

re: stadiums, there's a huge tiff going on between the Australia FA and the AFL over use of stadia in 2018/2022. Makes for some cringeworthy reading when viewing aus footy forums. :o

Cal?

CR7 fan
Qatar is about half the size of Wales, with a population of just over 1 million, and the biggest problem is the average temperature in Qatar in June-July is about 40C.

CrazyBelgian

Belgium & Holland please. After the last couple of qualifications, it seems the only way for us to ever play in a big tournament again. :nervous:

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Russia is an interesting one given the number of timezones but the downside of that is the internal travel between cities would be ridiculous. Saying that most of her host cities would be west of the Urals so it may just may be a possibility, assuming England is the front runner for 2018 I would highly doubt another western European bid would get 2022 or another 'Anglo-Saxon' bid get it either, and then rule out Japan and Korea for only hosting it in 2002 that would only viably leave Russia.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Russia is an interesting one given the number of timezones but the downside of that is the internal travel between cities would be ridiculous. Saying that most of her host cities would be west of the Urals so it may just may be a possibility, assuming England is the front runner for 2018 I would highly doubt another western European bid would get 2022 or another 'Anglo-Saxon' bid get it either, and then rule out Japan and Korea for only hosting it in 2002 that would only viably leave Russia.
Actually, if England get 2018, it rules Russia out for 2022 and 2026.

red2deadboy

England
OZ

Its well documented that FIFA and UEFA don't particularly like England, though something would be rotten in denmark if Spain got it once again before England. (Think FA would have to maybe look into legal challenge)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The fact that the USA hosted it in 1994 doesn't mean they can't do it again after 28 years. I think either them or Australia for 2022, and England or Spain/Portugal for 2018.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Actually, if England get 2018, it rules Russia out for 2022 and 2026.
I believe FIFA changed that rule a couple of years ago, two countries from the same continent could potentially host two world cups in a row.

Flying Fox

Japan are the dominating force in the AFC, so my guess is that all of you who support Australia will be disappointed.
Missed this before...surely you must be taking the piss, cal?

How did you come to this conclusion?

We're the highest ranked "Asian" team from the AFC.

The Japanese bid was built on the hope they'd win the 2016 Olympic games. That hasn't happened. Even the VP of the JFA has said that their chances aren't all that flash.

Flying Fox

I believe FIFA changed that rule a couple of years ago, two countries from the same continent could potentially host two world cups in a row.
No, he's right.

After they ditched the rotation policy, FIFA (in Oct 2007) stated that if a bid from a particular confederation was to be successful, then that confederation would be ruled out of contention for hosting rights for the next two WC's. To use an example, as CAF has the WC in S.Africa later in the year, it is ineligible to submit bids from any members FA's until 2022. Likewise, CONMEBOL wont be eligible to host a WC until 2026.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Missed this before...surely you must be taking the piss, cal?

How did you come to this conclusion?

We're the highest ranked "Asian" team from the AFC.

The Japanese bid was built on the hope they'd win the 2016 Olympic games. That hasn't happened. Even the VP of the JFA has said that their chances aren't all that flash.
Being the highest ranked team doen't really do much, otherwise England wouldn't stand a chance against Spain.

What I mean about Japan, is that, they (and not Australia) seem to have the support of the rest of the Asian countries - mainly because they ARE Asian, whereas a lot of the smaller Asian countries are unhappy with the Aussies stealing one of their places.

They seem to have confirmed that they'll go ahead with their 100,000 capacity stadium in Tokyo, which was the biggest reason why the Olympics bid was important for the WC bid.

kietotheworld

Not the case, they changed the rule from rotating round every continental confederation to giving it to any confederation which hasn't had a member host the last 2. They had to change it after Australia left the OFC, or give a World Cup to New Zealand or Papau New Guinea.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Australia for obvious reasons!

The biggest problem is that the country is simply too big, so the traveling fans would most likely have to travel all across the country to watch the games. Though I suppose some extra stadiums would be built, and the organisers would have the forethought to schedule the group games in the same city/area.

But then again, who the feck would want to be stuck out in Perth, Tasmania or Adelaide for a week to watch their country play!

vuc

First Team Serb
Wouldn't mind it going to Russia.

I think that England will get one of the bids, inevitable it has to happen soon and the stadiums and facilities are more than adequate.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not the case, they changed the rule from rotating round every continental confederation to giving it to any confederation which hasn't had a member host the last 2. They had to change it after Australia left the OFC, or give a World Cup to New Zealand or Papau New Guinea.
They had to change it because of the intense pressure from Uefa, it's ridiculous to have the WC in Europe only once every 24 years.

MUFC1902

What I mean about Japan, is that, they (and not Australia) seem to have the support of the rest of the Asian countries - mainly because they ARE Asian, whereas a lot of the smaller Asian countries are unhappy with the Aussies stealing one of their places.
Kuwait are the only Asian team that has shown any discontent since we entered the AFC, and that's because they were in the same group as us for Asian Cup qualifying in 2007. The rest of Asia has welcomed us with open arms.

As for Japan getting the backing of Asia, AFC president Bin Hammam is Qatari... you figure it out.

"The Qatari, who has headed the AFC since 2002, also talked up the merits of staging a World Cup in Qatar in comments to reporters following his meeting with the Korean president."
Source.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Kuwait are the only Asian team that has shown any discontent since we entered the AFC, and that's because they were in the same group as us for Asian Cup qualifying in 2007. The rest of Asia has welcomed us with open arms.

As for Japan getting the backing of Asia, AFC president Bin Hammam is Qatari... you figure it out.

"The Qatari, who has headed the AFC since 2002, also talked up the merits of staging a World Cup in Qatar in comments to reporters following his meeting with the Korean president."
Source.
As I've pointed out before, it isn't even viable to have a WC in Qatar, never mind the country is too small to have 12-15 big stadiums, never mind the team is no good, the fact that summer weather averages 40C makes it a non-starter.

They will drop out soon enough and the Asians will rally behind Japan, since they have much bigger influence than the Koreans.

As for Aussies, my impression is that a lot of Asian countries (esp those with an outside chance of qualifying for the WC) are unhappy that a better side has come and stolen/robbed them of one of their places. The fact the Kiwis also made it this time has only confirmed their feeling.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
No, he's right.

After they ditched the rotation policy, FIFA (in Oct 2007) stated that if a bid from a particular confederation was to be successful, then that confederation would be ruled out of contention for hosting rights for the next two WC's. To use an example, as CAF has the WC in S.Africa later in the year, it is ineligible to submit bids from any members FA's until 2022. Likewise, CONMEBOL wont be eligible to host a WC until 2026.
I see, thanks for the info.