World Cup 2018 & 2022 bids

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
On Fifa's website, the words "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil" appear with the letters TM next to them. So too does the strapline "All in one rhythm". Meanwhile, the host nation, a country with an immense poverty problem, is spending enormous sums of public money on building stadiums, evicting residents from their homes so to do, and the government is under pressure from the game's governing body to pass a "General Law of the World Cup". It stipulates how the tournament must be run, and in some aspects conflicts with Brazil's existing legislation – a current sticking point concerns Fifa's refusal to allow half-price admission to games for students, retirees, those receiving state assistance and the disabled.

On top of that, the law requires "special trials for the processing and judgment of cases related to the events" – or in other words, a judicial system to supplant that already in place – and that Fifa and all connected with it "will remain free from costs, emoluments, fees and other expenses" to the various judicial and legal institutions. It's a relief to see that everyone has their priorities all sorted.
(Source: Guardian)

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Calling Brazil a country of immense poverty is a bit half and half. There is immense poverty in the USA too.

The government is under pressure from the game's governing body to pass a "General Law of the World Cup". It stipulates how the tournament must be run, and in some aspects conflicts with Brazil's existing legislation – a current sticking point concerns Fifa's refusal to allow half-price admission to games for students, retirees, those receiving state assistance and the disabled.
Thats interesting, given that thats what we are expecting in 2022. At the moment Alcohol can only be sold in 5* hotels in Qatar, but FIFA has said they expect it to be sold freely to fans.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The Qatar WC is just going to be a disaster, either the European clubs refuse to let the players go or they play in the summer...

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Platini, who has been head of Europe's football governing body for six years, says he "will fight" for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be held in winter.
"We have to play the World Cup at the best moment to stage the World Cup," he said.
"It's 50C in the summer in Qatar. If we do not change the date, there are countries that will never receive the World Cup."
Bloomin' idiot. Every time he fights for this WC in Qatar it just comes across as if it's Qatar's wealth that has paid for this foolish decision by FIFA.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
To be fair, their pitch to get the world cup featured air conditioned stadiums, powered by solar panels on the roofs.

Cal?

CR7 fan
To be fair, their pitch to get the world cup featured air conditioned stadiums, powered by solar panels on the roofs.
I'm sure they can afford AC if they have to power the stadia with natural gas.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
the votes were cast on the understanding it would be played in the summer. It should be played then or they should drop qatar and re-vote. Change the rules first (allow winters) and dates become part of the submission process. Qatar can even submit. Honestly twatini/bladder its not difficult.
Platini can't risk his benefactors losing their World Cup. What would happen to PSG and French football if they pulled their money out? His son could lose his job with QSI if Qatar loses the World Cup. All of which is completely unrelated to his backing of the bid.

He's a corrupt sack of merde.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The Qatari WC could be the final straw that breaks the camels back regarding European clubs releasing players... A breakaway as part of a boycott?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Qatar has been eliminated from 2014 World Cup qualification by Iran. Only one more chance to make a World Cup before they host it...

Edit: Unless they beat the 5th placed CONMEBOL team...:lol:

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
The decision to give the Qatar the world cup was the most stupid decision i've ever seen any sporting body make, which takes some doing. Not only did FIFA somehow manage to completely ignore the technical reports that they're meant to base their decision on, still 2 1/2 years down the line we have no idea how this world cup is going to work. I remember at the time they gave them the tournament they played down the heat based on air conditioned stadiums which was clearly a ridiculous notion that wasn't going to work for a world cup where fans are meant to be gathered around host cities. This is even ignoring the human rights abuses in Qatar that completely go against FIFA's supposed code.

The whole thing is clearly going to be awful, probably in winter, completely plastic - no footballing culture and few real fans will go, no legacy, no past, current, or future hope for the national team - part of what makes international tournaments great is seeing the home nations get behind it. Instead we'll see a bunch of nationalised South American's turning out for Qatar.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Curious how the footballing world felt in 1988 when the US was awarded the 1994 World Cup.

I agree with most on this Qatar thing. Detroit hosted a group play match at it's indoor stadium that featured grass and air conditioning. Was the first of its kind I believe. Can Qatar actually pull something like this off at multiple venues in a much smaller nation?

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
The US had tones of experience of show piecing top level sport though and had the infrastructure in place. There was no risk involved having it there.

binary bot
This thread reminded me of the Qatar post on here, about not having enough of a population to host the WC:lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
random bump.. didn't think it merited its own thread as it is just a rumour, but know a few construction lawyers who operate in the middle east and word on the street is that WC 2022 doesn't look like a cert to be held like we think it is going to be. Construction projects are moving very slowly, with developers fearful it isn't going to go ahead.

Cal?

CR7 fan
random bump.. didn't think it merited its own thread as it is just a rumour, but know a few construction lawyers who operate in the middle east and word on the street is that WC 2022 doesn't look like a cert to be held like we think it is going to be. Construction projects are moving very slowly, with developers fearful it isn't going to go ahead.
Good, Qatar do not deserve to hold a WC, especially not one in the winter.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It's the only way England might have a chance of winning it again.
The reason even us England supporters dump on our team is because the FA has fecked up our entire set up from grassroots level to where the England team now is...a laughing stock. Qualify and get our butts kicked at the competition.

I'm not sure we will win it Even if it was in England.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How long before it becomes too late to change it from Qatar to a more suitable location?

We are six years away and even though many in Fifa have been arrested, I feel as though the regime will still want this to go ahead as so much more money has been poured into it. I'm worried they will delay changing it for long enough that it will have to take place in Qatar

MTF

Cheers for sharing. Still get the sense that it'll go ahead because there's not enough impetus to get it changed. Don't think post-Blatter FIFA will be all that different from current FIFA. But we'll see.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The fact the scum Blatter was found guilty of all the corruption charges would I should have thought invalidated all the decisions about the WC.
A 2 year turnaround will be nearly impossible to pull off. That's not considering the Confederations Cup which is a WC dry run (and is next year).

bigredmachine

Running smooth
A 2 year turnaround will be nearly impossible to pull off. That's not considering the Confederations Cup which is a WC dry run (and is next year).
I completely forgot about the Confederations Cup. Changing hosts is going to be logistical nightmare - Great Britain and maybe the US could probably pull it off. Hope we get the WC.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
How long before it becomes too late to change it from Qatar to a more suitable location?

We are six years away and even though many in Fifa have been arrested, I feel as though the regime will still want this to go ahead as so much more money has been poured into it. I'm worried they will delay changing it for long enough that it will have to take place in Qatar
I reckon England can host it on a 3-4 years notice, the stadiums and infrastructure is already there.

prateik

They have the money in Qatar. 6 years is plenty of time to build the stadiums if they want to.

Moriarty

The reason even us England supporters dump on our team is because the FA has fecked up our entire set up from grassroots level to where the England team now is...a laughing stock. Qualify and get our butts kicked at the competition.

I'm not sure we will win it Even if it was in England.
Yep. I refuse to believe that the English boys are inferior,talent wise, to their counterparts in Germany, Holland, Spain, and France. It's at the grassroots level where I think the problem lies. The Germans have been there or thereabouts at every major tournament since the 1960s, so why aren't we studying and learning from their model?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Yep. I refuse to believe that the English boys are inferior,talent wise, to their counterparts in Germany, Holland, Spain, and France. It's at the grassroots level where I think the problem lies. The Germans have been there or thereabouts at every major tournament since the 1960s, so why aren't we studying and learning from their model?
Mate. the FA has been screwing us all. They are only interested in money.That is why I get furious with these dicussions. The absolute frustration....!!!

Moriarty

Mate. the FA has been screwing us all. They are only interested in money.That is why I get furious with these dicussions. The absolute frustration....!!!
I agree. The FA doesn't make a move without first ascertaining if there's a profit to be made. There just doesn't seem to be any real structure in place to get coaches out there where they're needed. There should be FA schools up and down the country staffed with qualified coaches with the sole aim of creating a national side capable of winning a big tournament. People have been harping on this for ages but the FA is about as blinkered as they can be.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
There's no way Qatar will allow the project to fail due to construction delays. They've invested an enormous amount of resources and their reputation is at stake...if you throw enough money at something, it will get done.

A more likely scenario is that it will be taken away from them on account of them having illegally bought it. If some more evidence comes to light and arrest warrants start being issued by the Americans/InterPol for Qatari officials (as unlikely as that seems), then it's hard to imagine it going ahead because it would be toxic.