World Cup 2018 & 2022 bids

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well the score hasn't reflected this game, China have not been in it at all.
I'm not watching the game, but:

1. China are not very good, so beating them at home is hardly an amazing result that makes the world take notice. If they beat one of Japan, Korea or Australia...

2. One off games really doesn't tell us much, Japan only managed a draw with Jordan, not long ago, Spain got annihilated.

3. Qatar lost to a team ranked 108th in the world at home only a few days ago.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Qatar have developed artificial clouds to provide shade for stadiums and training grounds at the 2022 World Cup.

The extreme heat in summer months in the Middle Eastern country has led to concern about conditions at the tournament, with some suggesting it should be played in the winter.

Qatar say they will air condition the stadia via solar power and now scientists at Qatar University have designed the 'cloud' which can be produced at a cost of US dollars 500,000 each.

Saud Abdul Ghani, head of the mechanical and industrial engineering department, told Gulf News the 'clouds' are made from a lightweight carbon structure carrying a giant envelope of material containing helium gas. Four solar powered engines move the structure via remote control.
Seems a little shady

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Qatar have developed artificial clouds to provide shade for stadiums and training grounds at the 2022 World Cup.

The extreme heat in summer months in the Middle Eastern country has led to concern about conditions at the tournament, with some suggesting it should be played in the winter.

Qatar say they will air condition the stadia via solar power and now scientists at Qatar University have designed the 'cloud' which can be produced at a cost of US dollars 500,000 each.

Saud Abdul Ghani, head of the mechanical and industrial engineering department, told Gulf News the 'clouds' are made from a lightweight carbon structure carrying a giant envelope of material containing helium gas. Four solar powered engines move the structure via remote control.
$1,000,000 for 2 clouds!!

FIFA think it's ok for someone to spend $1,000,000 on 2 clouds just so they can hold a WC in their country!

How many clouds are they going to need....they've 12 stadiums to cover, not to mention the training grounds as well. That's at least 2 clouds per stadium which is a min of $12,000,000. I see they haven't planned on any clouds for the fans as they travel about. How are they going to manage with the heat and humidity?

Well. I just hope these clouds can be dismantled afterwards and taken to a 3rd world country who can make good use of them.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If there is a re-vote, the US has a very good shot at winning. For me, it's either Australia or the US, but the loser will have the best shot at 2026--though the US would have a stronger change in 2026 because there aren't many countries from Africa, South America, or North America who could host it. Australia would have to deal with other Asian countries like Japan, Korea, and maybe China.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
what if they rerun the ballot and Qatar win again?

Personally my first choice was always Oz - reckon they would do a good job.

Kaos

The US would probably win it if there was to be re-vote. They already have the facilities with their large stadia and transport networks. I'm just curious as to how they'll handle their security scares.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
what if they rerun the ballot and Qatar win again?

Personally my first choice was always Oz - reckon they would do a good job.
Should imagine another ballot would give the same result.

If people took bribes for the 1st vote then the bribe will still hold for the 2nd vote.

They couldn't change their votes in a 2nd ballot anyway or it would look suspicious.

Cal?

CR7 fan
if they re-do it, it would be down to australia or the US.

I reckon america will get it even though it should be australia.
Australia won't get it, they simply do not have enough support from within AFC, we saw from the voting last time that even Korea & Japan, having hosted it not long ago, go many more votes than Australia.

USA will probably get it if there is a re-vote, especially if China show some interest in 2026.

Burak1878

Australia would be a perfect choice for WC 2022 if they re-vote. All other candidates hosted WC before, but unfortunately they don't have enough support as Cal? said.

Unam333

Back then everybody knew the flaws in the voting system. It's just humans will always be humans: we are greedy and corrupt. Especially the ones with power. It's in our nature.

I'd like to see a re-vote, but only if the voting system changes. If no chances take place the results will be the same.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is actually a good move from FIFA (doesnt happen often!)- too late for 2018 and 2022 as I doubt we will see any revote, but at least a change for the future...

BBC Sport - Sepp Blatter announces World Cup host vote change

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has announced that in future, World Cup host countries will be chosen by a vote of all the 208 member associations.

Up until now, the 24-man executive committee made the choice.

But the controversy surrounding the decision to award Russia the 2018 tournament and Qatar the 2022 event has prompted the change.

"I want to give more power to the national associations," said Blatter, who is set be re-elected on Wednesday.

"In the future the World Cup will be decided by the Fifa congress. The executive committee will create a shortlist - but will make no recommendations only a list - and the congress will decide on the venue."

vanthaman

Winner
Won't make a difference

Guardian blog said:
"How does opening up the World Cup bidding process to 208 voters from 24 help the situation? Surely that just means there are more people who may be susceptible to bribery? Also, those in positions to control bloc votes become even more desirable running mates. Jack Warner's 3 votes (out of 24) gave him control over 12.5%; under the new system he would have 35/208 and therefore 16.8% - thus making him even more powerful. Once this congress is completed and a suitable time has elapsed (maybe a month or 2), I fully expect Warner to resume his post as if nothing has happened."

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That doubling-up of 2018 & 2026 voting increasingly looks like a last attempt by Blatter and co to get away with financial murder before Sepp leaves, and before outside authorities could actually do something about FIFA's corruption.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'll post it here too, the reason why England didn't win....

Here's PA's report on the denunciation of England by the head of the Argentinian FA, Julio Grondona.

We always have attacks from England which are mostly lies with the support of journalism which is more busy lying than telling the truth. This upsets and disturbs the FIFA family.

"To present such a project as David Bernstein presented is like shooting a penalty because it cannot be always from the same place that the insults and problems come from.

"I see it at every Congress. They have specific privileges with four countries having one vice-president. I don't know what our president has said.

"But we have seen the World Cup go around the world, to South America and Africa and it looks like this country does not like it.

"It looks like England is always complaining so please I say will you leave the FIFA family alone, and when you speak, speak with truth."

In an interview with a German press agency yesterday, Grondona called England "pirates" and added: "Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England. And that is not possible. "But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left."

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Won't make a difference
I dont agree - at the moment a small number of unelected FIFA officials are in complete control of the process, IMO giving every member country a vote is clearly a better system. Of course, the process will still be open to corruption but it still sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

MTF

The new process will be subject to corruption in a similar way as the FIFA Presidential elections. Remember, Bin Hamman got the hook for offering cash to all the Caribbean Federations, that's 38 of them.

I think England, the US, the Aussies, Germany, and whoever else has some decency should pull out of FIFA and start a separate body. Its no good to be in an organization of 208 states, where some rich sheik from a small oil producing country can buy off a third of those, and your large, rich, football-crazy nation has as much pull as Somalia if you play by the rules.

Football is so corrupt outsides the UK and Germany (and some others), its not even funny.

MTF

I'll post it here too, the reason why England didn't win....

Here's PA's report on the denunciation of England by the head of the Argentinian FA, Julio Grondona.

[/B]
People should get punched in the face for saying silly stuff like that.

Crustanoid

This is actually a good move from FIFA (doesnt happen often!)- too late for 2018 and 2022 as I doubt we will see any revote, but at least a change for the future...

BBC Sport - Sepp Blatter announces World Cup host vote change

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has announced that in future, World Cup host countries will be chosen by a vote of all the 208 member associations.

Up until now, the 24-man executive committee made the choice.

But the controversy surrounding the decision to award Russia the 2018 tournament and Qatar the 2022 event has prompted the change.

"I want to give more power to the national associations," said Blatter, who is set be re-elected on Wednesday.

"In the future the World Cup will be decided by the Fifa congress. The executive committee will create a shortlist - but will make no recommendations only a list - and the congress will decide on the venue."
Just more people to bribe?

phelans shorts

The new process will be subject to corruption in a similar way as the FIFA Presidential elections. Remember, Bin Hamman got the hook for offering cash to all the Caribbean Federations, that's 38 of them.

I think England, the US, the Aussies, Germany, and whoever else has some decency should pull out of FIFA and start a separate body. Its no good to be in an organization of 208 states, where some rich sheik from a small oil producing country can buy off a third of those, and your large, rich, football-crazy nation has as much pull as Somalia if you play by the rules.

Football is so corrupt outsides the UK and Germany (and some others), its not even funny.
A pretty random list of "those with decency" list there!

Germany = Pro Blatter, just listen to Franz speak.
USA = Pro Blatter, I have to listen to sir matt's constant whinging.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This is all becoming so disgraceful and surreal that I hardly feel like posting about these contemptible clowns any longer. This Congress is reminding me of what I've read about Soviet Russia's Bolshevik/Communist Congresses from the early-mid part of the last century; people would be dying in the streets, yet all the bosses were congratulating themselves on their 'successes' and moral authority. Anyone brave and honest enough to speak out was silenced or, at best, undermined and exiled. Meanwhile, Sepp Stalin's ovation goes on, and on, and on...because no-one dares to make a stand. Football is being held hostage by these criminals.

MTF

A pretty random list of "those with decency" list there!

Germany = Pro Blatter, just listen to Franz speak.
USA = Pro Blatter, I have to listen to sir matt's constant whinging.
It is arbitrary really, I don't know enough. But given the choice of Bin Hamman and Blatter, I might go with Blatter myself.

I just got the impression that Blatter's support base was mainly from small countries all over, and a few of the big ones like Brazil.

Wasn't the US quite upset with the farce of the 2022 WC selection?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Blatter has support from small countries because he can give "Goal Projects" to them whenever he needs their votes. This also extends to bigger nations that aren't in the West or have oil money. The big nations support him to stay in the good graces of FIFA, imo. I can't think of any other reason for Gulati to support him. By doing that, it prevents the US from becoming marginalized when it is massively overpowered and outnumbered in its own confederation. It certainly goes against the assumed values that US Soccer should have for them to support such a corrupt system with zero accountability.

Many major footballing nations, including several recent hosts, live with systemic corruption so you can't expect them to stand against such a system.