World Cup 2018 - General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think Portugal has chances of being out in group stage if they lose against Spain (probably) and screw it against Iran or Morocco. Same go to Spain if they lose the first game.

But we'll see..
:lol: any team will go out if they lose their first 2 games.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Can't see taking Sterling over Mbappe, Dembele or Fekir as the 3rd or 4th attacker along with Kane and Griezmann and Pogba probably should be in a midfield 3 anyways so it's really just one of that first French group. Do think Walker would play even though I'm not his biggest fan. Maybe Rose too (he and Walker do have experience with Lloris at least) though it would be good if he was in better form.

----------Kane--------
--Dembele---Griezmann
-----Pogba---Kante-----
---------N'Zonzi---------
Rose-Umtiti-Varane-Walker
---------Lloris-----------

would probably be my choice, with one of Kante or N'Zonzi droppable for a more creative mid like Lemar, Tolisso, Fekir or even Alli to goose the attack, or Mbappe or Griezmann one of them tossed up top and a 4-4-2 the choice.
Pickford has been better than Lloris this season. Lloris has declined big time.

Raru9

:lol: any team will go out if they lose their first 2 games.
I dont say a defeat, i mean more like a draw. Most people don't know what type of team are Iran or Morocco (solid defensively, lines very tough to surpass if you don't have the pace and quality).

And I think they are the kind of team that especially can be difficult to a team like Portugal who has very short quality in 3/4.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoPace

Pickford has been better than Lloris this season. Lloris has declined big time.
I can't say I've noticed a Lloris decline (and from what I've seen Pope has outplayed Pickford this year even if the latter is better with his feet) but just checked and you seem to be somewhat right: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/end-of-season-player-ratings.9565/ Seems like consensus is he had an okay but disappointing season. Experience might see him start in a WC though in the real world if France and England did merge.

Luke1995

What can we expect from hosts Russia and Iceland in this tournament ? I reckon both of them have good chance to reach round of 16.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think Santos should have called Ronny Lopes, very unfair imo. We have a big problem with our CB's, Fonte and Alves are just numbers, Pepe highly unlikely he will reach a good level, and Ruben Dias from what I watch here in Portugal is a disaster waiting to happen, particularly when we are talking about potential red cards.

Best we can reach with this team is the last 16, but won't be surprised if we get eliminated in the group stage. No way a counter attack style of football can survive with crap CB's. We don't have players with technical ability to play from the back, we don't have a solid enough style to play deep and break the opponents with fast counters.

Its sad, because even with the CB's problem we have better options than we had in 2016.

onemanarmy

For fecks sake. Predictable but still... This is going to be a Lombaerts scenario all over again isn't it.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
According to OLE’

Argentina 23-Man World Cup 2018 Squad

Sergio Romero, Franco Armani e Wilfredo Caballero.

Gabriel Mercado, Federico Fazio, Nicolás Otamendi, Cristian Ansaldi, Nicolás Tagliafico e Marcos Rojo.

Ever Banega, Javier Mascherano, Eduardo Salvio, Lucas Biglia, Angel Di María, Gio Lo Celso, Manuel Lanzini, Maxi Meza e Marcos Acuña.

Lionel Messi, Sergio Agüero, Gonzalo Higuaín, Cristian Pavón e Paulo Dybala.

Well Icard deserved to be there imho.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Closing this thread as we now have a World Cup Forum.

Please create separate threads for different topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.