World Cup 2018 - General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Miller

Is that the same Geromel who was a mediocre midtable CB for Cologne? Must have improved a lot since returning to Brazil!?
Yes. He is excellent in the last years in the Libertadores. Played well against Madrid too. I would bench Miranda and play him tbh.

Costa Rica final squad

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
COSTA RICA
Goalkeepers: Keylor Navas (Real Madrid-ESP), Leonel Moreira (Herediano) y Patrick Pemberton (Alajuelense).

Defenders: Cristian Gamboa (Celtic-SCO), Ian Smith (Norrkopin-SWE), Ronald Matarrita (New York City-USA), Bryan Oviedo (Sunderland-ENG), Óscar Duarte (Espanyol-ESP), Giancarlo González (Bologna-ITA), Francisco Calvo (Minesota United-USA), Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps-CAN), Johnny Acosta (Águilas Doradas-COL).

Midfielders: David Guzmán (Portland Timbers-USA), Yeltsin Tejeda (Lausanne-SWI), Celso Borges (Deportivo La Coruña-ESP), Randall Azofeifa (Herediano), Rodney Wallace (New York City-USA), Bryan Ruiz (Sporting-POR) y Christian Bolaños (Saprissa).

Forwards: Daniel Colindres (Saprissa), Johan Venegas (Saprissa), Joel Campbell (Betis-ESP) y Marco Ureña (Los Ángeles FC-USA).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good and balance squad that. i dont know anyone else who might be missed out but looks of all Brazil's superstars on it
Oscar, throwing away his international career by moving to China. Can't say I have much sympathy for him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is that the latest as I thought it had stayed at six months so it was o.k for him to be in the squad.

Big blow for Peru.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
And while every other country is releasing their squads, Özil and Gündogan thought it would be a good idea to campaign with Erdoğan and created a gigantic shitstorm that will only get bigger.

https://www.zeit.de/sport/2018-05/mesut-oezil-ilkay-guendogan-recep-tayyip-erdogan

Couldn‘t find an English article while browsing at work. Özil and Gündogan posed for pictures with Erdoğan and even gifted him signed jerseys, on which Gündogan actually addresses him as „my president“.
This one won’t go away for some time. Honestly, I’d throw them both out of the team.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
And while every other country is releasing their squads, Özil and Gündogan thought it would be a good idea to campaign with Erdoğan and created a gigantic shitstorm that will only get bigger.

https://www.zeit.de/sport/2018-05/mesut-oezil-ilkay-guendogan-recep-tayyip-erdogan

Couldn‘t find an English article while browsing at work. Özil and Gündogan posed for pictures with Erdoğan and even gifted him signed jerseys, on which Gündogan actually addresses him as „my president“.
This one won’t go away for some time. Honestly, I’d throw them both out of the team.
What's the story with erdogan?

Blackwidow

Not just you. And I do not believe the explanation Gündogan gave later. They played in Southhampton and he drove extra to London for it to got back to Manchester today...

Here is the Colombian Squad

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What's the story with erdogan?
Due to the millions of Turkish people living in Germany, many who can actually vote in Turkish elections, Erdoğan is an extremely sensible topic over here. He used to campaign regularly in Germany, which nobody wants due to his fascist politics. Elections are coming up in Turkey and those elections are extremely important to Erdoğan. He needs them to gain more power.
He is not allowed to campaign in Germany anymore, thus he was seeking a backchannel to campaign without actually having to hold speeches. Gündogan and Özil were stupid enough to help him out.

Last edited:

diarm

Sandro starts for any club or country in the world that doesn't have Marcelo in it. Crazy not to have him in the squad.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Sandro starts for any club or country in the world that doesn't have Marcelo in it. Crazy not to have him in the squad.
He wouldn’t even start for Austria.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Due to the millions of Turkish people living in Germany, many who can actually vote in Turkish elections, Erdoğan is an extremely sensible topic over here. He used to campaign regularly in Germany, which nobody wants due to his fascist politics. Elections are coming up in Turkey and those elections are extremely important to Erdoğan. He needs them to gain more power.
He is not allowed to campaign in Germany anymore, thus he was seeking a backchannel to campaign without actually having to hold speeches. Gündogan and Özil were stupid enough to help him out.
Oh okay. Cnuts those two

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Yeah the likes of Kevin Wimmer, Max Wober and Martin Hinteregger are obviously all better than him.

Alaba plays in midfield.
In that case:
He wouldn’t even start for Bayern.

Fenomeno9

Firmino over Jesus for me. Much better on the ball, and a better fit for Neymar & Coutinho IMO.
He hasn’t shown that he is a better fit when Jesus was injuried and he started. Not to mention he has 5 goals in 19 to Jesus 9 in 15. I like Firmino a lot but his clubs form has not match his international form. I hope that change this summer because it a great problem to have to have two strikers with different skill sets on form.

Bojan11

ITV have G Nev, Keane, Wright, Bilic, Evra, Giggs and others as pundits.

T A

Tite hinted at this team

Against smaller sides/park bus
Renato Augusto always started ahead of Casemiro on selection priority, i remember this clearly because i felt very weird everytime watching them during qualification campaign

Luke1995

Mexico provisional squad (28):

Goalkeepers (3): Jesús Corona, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera

Defenders (9): Oswaldo Alanís, Edson Álvarez, Néstor Araujo, Hugo Ayala, Jesús Gallardo, Miguel Layún, Héctor Moreno, Diego Reyes, Carlos Salcedo

Midfielders (8): Marco Fabián, Andrés Guardado, Erick Gutiérrez, Héctor Herrera, Rafael Márquez, Jesús Molina, Giovani dos Santos, Jonathan dos Santos,

Forwards (8): Javier Aquino, Jesús Manuel Corona, Jurgen Damm, Javier Hernández, Raúl Jiménez, Hirving Lozano, Oribe Peralta, Carlos Vela
Hernandez is probably their best player, but in the 2014 World Cup he was on the bench...wondering if he is guaranteed to start on this one

Luke1995

Is that the same Geromel who was a mediocre midtable CB for Cologne? Must have improved a lot since returning to Brazil!?
Yes, he also had a forgettable spell at Mallorca, but since about 2016 he has been Gremio's best defender, don't know if you watched the match with Real Madrid but he performed as well in that match as he could. I support Gremio so I watch every match and I think he is ready for the big leagues, although he is set to turn 33 this year.

Luke1995

Denmark provisional squad (35):

Goalkeepers (4): Jesper Hansen, Jonas Lössl, Frederik Rønnow, Kasper Schmeichel

Defenders (11): Peter Ankersen, Andreas Bjelland, Nicolai Boilesen, Andreas Christensen, Henrik Dalsgaard, Riza Durmisi, Mathias "Zanka" Jørgensen, Simon Kjær, Jonas Knudsen, Jens Stryger Larsen, Jannik Vestergaard

Midfielders (11): Thomas Delaney, Christian Eriksen, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Mathias Jensen, Mike Jensen, Michael Krohn-Dehli, William Kvist, Lukas Lerager, Lasse Schöne, Robert Skov, Daniel Wass

Strikers (9): Nicklas Bendtner, Martin Braithwaite, Andreas Cornelius, Kasper Dolberg, Viktor Fischer, Nicolai Jørgensen, Yussuf Poulsen, Pione Sisto, Kenneth Zohore
Not sure if Dollberg will make the final list. I want him to because he is a good prospect... how is he doing in the eredivise ?

bebeanderson

Renato Augusto always started ahead of Casemiro on selection priority, i remember this clearly because i felt very weird everytime watching them during qualification campaign
Hmm.. no? Casemiro and Fernandinho swapped places. Renato was another position, and he's been dropped last 5 games.

Mickfoley

Croatia provisional squad (32):

Goalkeepers (4): Lovre Kalinic, Karlo Letica, Dominik Livakovic, Danijel Subasic

Defenders (12): Borna Barisic, Duje Caleta-Car, Vedran Corluka, Tin Jedvaj, Dejan Lovren, Matej Mitrovic, Zoran Nizic, Josip Pivaric, Borna Sosa, Ivan Strinic, Domagoj Vida, Sime Vrsaljko

Midfielders (8): Milan Badelj, Filip Bradaric, Marcelo Brozovic, Mateo Kovacic, Luka Modric, Mario Pasalic, Ivan Rakitic, Marko Rog

Forwards (8): Duje Cop, Nikola Kalinic, Andrej Kramaric, Mario Mandzukic, Ivan Perisic, Marko Pjaca, Ante Rebic, Ivan Santini
Mourinho slowly unzips.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

So we're going to kick people out of teams for their political association? Wow. Free speech indeed. I don't care who they support politically, they should definitely be in the squad, stop being overly sensitive.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
German goalkeepers

???? centerbacks

Brazilian fullbacks

Spanish midfielders

Argentina forwards

I’m still undecided on what country has the best centerbacks. I’m inclined to say Italy but they aren’t even in the World Cup.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
German goalkeepers

???? centerbacks

Brazilian fullbacks

Spanish midfielders

Argentina forwards

I’m still undecided on what country has the best centerbacks. I’m inclined to say Italy but they aren’t even in the World Cup.
I would say Germany. Hummels, Boateng (if fit), Sule are the first 3 choices and then you have decent backups in Rudiger, Howedes, Mustafi, Tah.

Last edited:

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
That Brazil team look pretty weak defensively to be honest even if they did amazingly well during the qualification and I still cant believe he didn't call Sandro! Oh and Firmino is way better than Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
German goalkeepers

???? centerbacks

Brazilian fullbacks

Spanish midfielders

Argentina forwards

Possibly Belgium? Vertonghen and Alderweireld have a great partnership at Spurs.

bebeanderson

German goalkeepers

???? centerbacks

Brazilian fullbacks

Spanish midfielders

Argentina forwards

Uruguay with Godin and Jimenez

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hernandez is probably their best player, but in the 2014 World Cup he was on the bench...wondering if he is guaranteed to start on this one
I can't believe Marquez is still playing. He must be around 40 by now.:houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.