World Cup 2018 - General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

And while every other country is releasing their squads, Özil and Gündogan thought it would be a good idea to campaign with Erdoğan and created a gigantic shitstorm that will only get bigger.

https://www.zeit.de/sport/2018-05/mesut-oezil-ilkay-guendogan-recep-tayyip-erdogan

Couldn‘t find an English article while browsing at work. Özil and Gündogan posed for pictures with Erdoğan and even gifted him signed jerseys, on which Gündogan actually addresses him as „my president“.
This one won’t go away for some time. Honestly, I’d throw them both out of the team.
Yep. Wouldnt let them play a single game for Germany anymore. And I mean that. Such a stupid thing to do.

Last edited:

T A

Hmm.. no? Casemiro and Fernandinho swapped places. Renato was another position, and he's been dropped last 5 games.
Those were 5 friendly games. Thus i wondered about two formations you posted given the fact Casemiro and Fernandinho rotated with each other in the same position, not starting together throughout qualification campaign.

I think Tite will still drop one of them for Augusto/Paulinho, which is not cool though

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Portugal's 35 man preliminary squad.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/santos-names-preliminary-portugal-squad

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Olympique Lyonnais/France), Beto (Goztepe SK/Turkey), Rui Patricio (Sporting CP)

Defenders: Antunes (Getafe/Spain), Bruno Alves (Rangers/Scotland), Cedric (Southampton/England), Joao Cancelo (Internazionale/Italy), Jose Fonte (Dalian Aerbin/China PR), Luis Neto (Fenerbahce/Turkey), Mario Rui (Napoli/Italy), Nelson Semedo (Barcelona/Spain), Pepe (Besiktas/Turkey), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund/Germany), Ricardo (Porto), Rolando (Marseille/France), Ruben Dias (Benfica)

Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester City/England), Andre Gomes (Barcelona/Spain), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City/England), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting CP), Joao Mario (West Ham United/England), Joao Moutinho (Monaco/France), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow/Russia), Rony Lopes (Monaco), Ruben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers/England), Sergio Oliveira (Porto), William (Sporting CP)

Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan/Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Spain), Eder (Lokomotiv Moscow/Russia), Gelson Martins (Sporting CP), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia/Spain), Nani (Lazio/Italy), Paulinho (Braga), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas/Turkey)

Javi

This Ruben Dias chap from Benfica any good? Transfermarkt have the 21 y/o CB rated at 14 Mio. € which suggests that there is something to the guy. Would be great since Portugal seems to lack CB newcomers.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
This Ruben Dias chap from Benfica any good? Transfermarkt have the 21 y/o CB rated at 14 Mio. € which suggests that there is something to the guy. Would be great since Portugal seems to lack CB newcomers.
He is good, but still has to evolve a lot, as he is too agressive as risks a red card every game. I don't see anything special in him, but he is still the only cb of his age capable of being in the squad. I really hope he evolves next season, because Pepe won't be here for too long and we lack top defenders.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
Mexico provisional squad (28):

Goalkeepers (3): Jesús Corona, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera

Defenders (9): Oswaldo Alanís, Edson Álvarez, Néstor Araujo, Hugo Ayala, Jesús Gallardo, Miguel Layún, Héctor Moreno, Diego Reyes, Carlos Salcedo

Midfielders (8): Marco Fabián, Andrés Guardado, Erick Gutiérrez, Héctor Herrera, Rafael Márquez, Jesús Molina, Giovani dos Santos, Jonathan dos Santos,

Forwards (8): Javier Aquino, Jesús Manuel Corona, Jurgen Damm, Javier Hernández, Raúl Jiménez, Hirving Lozano, Oribe Peralta, Carlos Vela
Anyone from Mexico can tell my ir there are possibilities of Raul Jimenez to be a starter?

Schneckerl

So we're going to kick people out of teams for their political association? Wow. Free speech indeed. I don't care who they support politically, they should definitely be in the squad, stop being overly sensitive.
I'm sure a German player would be fine after publically supporting the AfD...

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm sure a German player would be fine after publically supporting the AfD...
Just because one person supports a party does not mean he/she supports every single facet of it. Because someone supports the AfD does not mean they agree with their racist, islamaphobic rhetoric; there could be other policies they agree with (just like how not every Trump supporter is a sexist/racist).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Götze not even in the preliminary squad is a bit surprising, as is Petersen (Freiburg bonus?) instead of Wagner.
They also announced Löw's contract extension until 2022 at the same event.

Pagh Wraith

Yep. Wouldnt let them play a single game for Germany anymore. And I mean that. Such a stupid thing to do.
Much ado about nothing. This is no different than German footballers posing with Merkel. And I'm not equating the two. Just seems like the usual arrogance from the West. Would anyone bat an eyelid if US athletes went to meet Trump?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Leno instead of Ulreich :rolleyes:
Petersen but no Wagner or Götze :rolleyes:
I don't quite understand the Götze decision. He was on an upward trajectory lately, and his performances in the past for the NT were good even when he was bad for his clubs.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Much ado about nothing. This is no different than German footballers posing with Merkel. And I'm not equating the two. Just seems like the usual arrogance from the West. Would anyone bat an eyelid if US athletes went to meet Trump?
I do not think you understand the situation at all. Would anyone bat an eyelid if Mario Gomez posed with Bashar al-Assad? I certainly think so. I think they should have been thrown out of the team honestly. Gündogan is pointless anyway and Özil hasn't shown up since 2010.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
I would. I would hate it if müller or hummels pose with german politicians like gauland from the afd. if someone does not respect freedom of speach, freedom of the press and other basic human rights, then supporting him is an affront. I think they did not really think this through and the german press and the people are exaggerating, but it's still stupid imo. helping during the campaign is more than shady

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
One could think it is the usual outrage industry, but in this case, it is different. If Rudiger or Boateng had met some african ruler, nobody would care.

With Erdogan, the case is different. There are elections in Turkey in the summer and he wants the votes of Turks in Germany, but he is not allowed to campaign here. He repeatedly associated the modern Germany with the Nazis and fascist methods and that could not be any further from the truth. Posing with some shady politicians is one thing, but posing with some guy who calls your home country fascist while you are representing that home country at National level is just several levels below.

herbert

Gündogan is pointless anyway and Özil hasn't shown up since 2010.
That is just ridiculous. Both are world class playmakers. Imagine an injury to Kroos. Who would you expect to build up play for Germany? Hummels?

Mr Smith

I don't quite understand the Götze decision. He was on an upward trajectory lately, and his performances in the past for the NT were good even when he was bad for his clubs.
Its a bit arbitrary though, as none of the players you've mentioned will be in the final squad (I'll admit I am a bit surprised about Wagner).

Pagh Wraith

I would. I would hate it if müller or hummels pose with german politicians like gauland from the afd. if someone does not respect freedom of speach, freedom of the press and other basic human rights, then supporting him is an affront. I think they did not really think this through and the german press and the ppl are exaggerating, but it's still stupid imo. helping during the campaign is more than shady
You may hate it but it is their choice. I would meet with neither Erdogan nor Gauland but just because I don't like them, I don't have the right to tell others what to do. And I have to come back to Trump. A megolomaniacal war crminal with fascist tendencies, yet when he meets with US athletes there is no outcry in the European press. Seems to me a classic example of Western holier-than-thou attitude that decides what is good and what is bad in the world.

HorrorFan07

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Olympique Lyonnais/France), Beto (Goztepe SK/Turkey), Rui Patricio (Sporting CP)

Defenders: Antunes (Getafe/Spain), Bruno Alves (Rangers/Scotland), Cedric (Southampton/England), Joao Cancelo (Internazionale/Italy), Jose Fonte (Dalian Aerbin/China PR), Luis Neto (Fenerbahce/Turkey), Mario Rui (Napoli/Italy), Nelson Semedo (Barcelona/Spain), Pepe (Besiktas/Turkey), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund/Germany), Ricardo (Porto), Rolando (Marseille/France), Ruben Dias (Benfica)

Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester City/England), Andre Gomes (Barcelona/Spain), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City/England), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting CP), Joao Mario (West Ham United/England), Joao Moutinho (Monaco/France), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow/Russia), Rony Lopes (Monaco), Ruben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers/England), Sergio Oliveira (Porto), William (Sporting CP)

Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan/Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Spain), Eder (Lokomotiv Moscow/Russia), Gelson Martins (Sporting CP), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia/Spain), Nani (Lazio/Italy), Paulinho (Braga), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas/Turkey)
Renato Sanches who was suppose to the next big thing last Euro's has been dropped. A nice kick up the a** for the young man.

Apparently sources in Swansea say he's been giving it the "big I am" for far too long so needed to be humbled.

Needs to get back onto the training pitch in wet/windy Swansea and improve his attitude.

Quaresma is still around? he must be touching 40.. guy been around since forever. Must be his last international tournament, for him, Pepe, Moutinho, Nani, Fernandes and maybe Ronaldo too. Portugal can't keep relying on these same old names to pull rabbits out of the hat to save them.. father time waits for no man and there's only so long Portugal can keep shocking the World by catching lightning in a bottle.

I predict Iran to cause a massive shock by beating this lot with Queiroz masterminding it and then a group stage exit for Portugal.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
You may hate it but it is their choice. I would meet with neither Erdogan nor Gauland but just because I don't like them, I don't have the right to tell others what to do. And I have to come back to Trump. A megolomaniacal war crminal with fascist tendencies, yet when he meets with US athletes there is no outcry in the European press. Seems to me a classic example of Western holier-than-thou attitude that decides what is good and what is bad in the world.
One thing is meeting the guy, the other is presenting him with a jersey that says 'with great respect for my president'. There's so much wrong with these few words, it boggles the mind.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
They actively helped a foreign politician to campaign in Germany, even though campaigning within three months of an election is prohibited for foreign politicians. There is no way that’s ok. They helped a foreign politician, a fascist politician, undermining German law, radicalizing German youth and creating tension in Germany. They did this at a moment in which their public exposure is at its peak due to the upcoming World Cup and their position in the national team. Right now, their photos are being used as a propaganda tool for a fascist war criminal.
There is no way they should be allowed to represent Germany in any way whatsoever.
And there is no way they didn’t know what they were doing. Especially Gündogan is quite smart. He knew exactly what was going to happen. They still went through with it.
Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Paulinho instead of Bruma, our NT coaches really don't like Bruma.

This World Cup has serious potential to go tremendously wrong for us. Coentrão isn't going which means we have one leftback who is good enough, but Guerreiro has played 15 games all season due to injuries. Most of those weren't even full games either. The CB situation is a complete disaster, especially given we're a very defensive team. Pepe is 35, only game I've seen of him all season was the biggest game of Besiktas' season and he was the main culprit they lost that. His partner will be shocking, Ruben Dias, Bruno Alves, Rolando and Jose Fonte... none of them are anywhere near good enough.

In midfield, our best performing midfielder in Danilo got injured. William will start after a terrible season, I have no idea how Moutinho's been doing but he better be ready. A.Gomes, J.Mario and Adrien haven't been great. Manuel Fernandes has had the best season out of those but he wasn't good enough in his prime so will he be good enough now? Bruno Fernandes is too green still, don't think he'll be able to make the difference at such a big stage.

Our strikers, Andre Silva has had a terrible season and Eder should only play if we get to the final.

Gelson has been terrible recently, I wouldn't even take him to the WC ahead of a semiretired Nani. Guedes has fell off a bit after a great start to the season and he doesn't really fit in this team. I have high hopes for Bernardo but he's never really played great for us.

So many things will have to go right, we're probably one of the biggest question marks in the whole tournament. We could easily end up getting knocked out by Iran or Morocco in the group stages.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
That is just ridiculous. Both are world class playmakers. Imagine an injury to Kroos. Who would you expect to build up play for Germany? Hummels?
Oh no! How the feck did we manage the past 4 years without him! You act like he's ever been part of this NT. It's like saying "what do we do without Reus?" Win a world cup, apparently.

Neither are good enough at club level to be considered world class. Gundogan is a squad player for City.
That's ridicolous towards Özil and fueled by dislike for Arsenal, but that doesnÄt change the fact that Özil has been surplus to requirements for the NT for quite some time. Gündogan could have become something, but his body just isnÄt made for professional football.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Trump is a LOT of things, but he's certainly not a war criminal and his silly little cleptocratic regime isn't even near what Erdogan is doing in Turkey. And then there's the little neat fact that those two shitters always talk about how German they are, yet there they stand, with a (at least from what they stated publically) foreign head of state promoting his regime in their own home country. Neat. So, stop your whataboutism, your examples aren't even remotely comparable.

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Ulreich:lol: I thought that hilarious campaign from Bayern fans to get him to the world cup on the basis of him not falling asleep behind the most dominant defense in the league was over after he produced that FIFAesque glitch against Real.
No one needs Wagner either but I agree that Goetze being left out is wrong.

As for the much discussed Gundogan and Ozil pictures: They shouldn't be kicked out of the team but definitely deserve to get slaughtered in public for that stunt. I wonder if they were pressured somehow because they have family in Turkey or something and wanted to avoid an Enes Kanter situation. Especially Gundogan always came across as a very intelligent guy, strange.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Ulreich:lol: I thought that hilarious campaign from Bayern fans to get him to the world cup on the basis of him not falling asleep behind the most dominant defense in the league was over after he produced that FIFAesque glitch against Real.
No one needs Wagner either but I agree that Goetze being left out is wrong.

As for the much discussed Gundogan and Ozil pictures: They shouldn't be kicked out of the team but definitely deserve to get slaughtered in public for that stunt. I wonder if they were pressured somehow because they have family in Turkey or something and wanted to avoid an Enes Kanter situation. Especially Gundogan always came across as a very intelligent guy, strange.
Bullshit. Can refused to go (good on him) and I have yet to hear that his family is being slaughtered. fecking hell, those guys are professional footballers making millions. They can either shut up and nothing will happen or bring their whole fecking family from down their grand-grand-grand-maternal line to the Bermudas. You either have morals or you don't, they do not. I've always defended Özil against all those bullshit accusations that he's only playing for Germany beacuse of the money, against the critique that he's not singing the anthem and stuff like that. You can feel at home in two nations, I absolutely feel like that. But you can't feel at home in Germany and do such a PR stunt for a tinpot dictator. Sorry. Gündogan is worse, at least' Özil doesn't even understand what's going on, but Gündogan certainly did. Way too smart to not realise the consequences.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah the likes of Kevin Wimmer, Max Wober and Martin Hinteregger are obviously all better than him.

Alaba plays in midfield.
Isn´t Christian Fuchs from Leicester the starting LB for Austria? :confused:

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Only provisional squads, but it´s not that surprising that Petersen is there. He´s arguably the best joker in world football, so he´d fill a very specific role for the German team, while we all know Gomez is a trainwreck as a substitute. Gomez either is your starter or he´s pretty useless.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I desperately need a country to support during this world cup. I can't stand being neutral.

Any suggestions?

IRELANDUNITED

Joe hart not expected to make the squad? I see he's as big as 8/1 to be included. Some fall from grace for a man who was once considered to be better than De Gea by some

Status
Not open for further replies.