World Cup 2018 - General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Miller

Joachim Low signed a new deal until 2022. Good for them. You see the difference when you have a long term work in the nt.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Talksport are saying Scrappy Doo not in World Cup squad but Fabien Delph is. Not sure that is a big surprise really. They also mentioned that Lallana could be as well.

Brophs

The One and Only

Seems odd that his exclusion is even the sort of talking point it is/will be, when his last game for England was against Iceland in 2016 and he's shown that, even though it has improved, his fitness simply can't be trusted for a number of games in quick succession. Without even mentioning that I think people were allowing some decent-ish performances convince them that he was back to being the same player he was.

saivet

I would have picked Wilshere and not included Welbeck or Livermore.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Only provisional squads, but it´s not that surprising that Petersen is there. He´s arguably the best joker in world football, so he´d fill a very specific role for the German team, while we all know Gomez is a trainwreck as a substitute. Gomez either is your starter or he´s pretty useless.
Wat. He's been a starter every single time he played decent and was generally awful when relegated to a bench role (except a few times for Freiburg), where's that reputation coming from in your mind?

vangagal

Talksport are saying Scrappy Doo not in World Cup squad but Fabien Delph is. Not sure that is a big surprise really. They also mentioned that Lallana could be as well.
They need Scrappy Doo to headbutt someone when they lose to looks they have strong character showing. Poor Scrappy Doo.

saivet

Lallana has played even less than Wilshere this season.

One of them has to go though, without Ox, we need at least one midfielder that can dribble with it.

Be very disappointed if it's true and Livermoore in over Wilshere

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Welbeck is such a pointless pick. I can't imagine any time during a game where you'd be thinking 'Do you know what this game is crying out for? Danny Welbeck'.

saivet

Bertrand, Shelvey and Cahill meant to have missed out too.

Loftus-Cheek in.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
If it leads to Southgate getting the boot, I'm all for it.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
World Cup squads always cause arguments.:lol:
True, it most likely won't matter much though. There are plenty of players with similar quality and someone has to miss out.

I understand why he'd go for someone like Livermore instead of Shelvey or Wilshere given it's a knockout competition. Think he should be given the benefit of the doubt at least.

DomesticTadpole

True, it most likely won't matter much though. There are plenty of players with similar quality and someone has to miss out.

I understand why he'd go for someone like Livermore instead of Shelvey or Wilshere given it's a knockout competition. Think he should be given the benefit of the doubt at least.

Maybe he wants someone to drive the taxi.

FujiVice

Joe Hart should hand every golden glove he's ever won over to Vincent Kompany. Talk about shadowing a lump of shite.

saivet

Seen the entire predicted squad. Looks bang average. Only issue I have is Livermoore and Welbeck. Wilshere should have gone and anyone else instead of Welbeck

DomesticTadpole

Seen the entire predicted squad. Looks bang average. Only issue I have is Livermoore and Welbeck. Wilshere should have gone and anyone else instead of Welbeck
It is when people realise yes City and Liverpool players have been great, but they are now in an England squad with average players and they will look average as well.

Luke1995

Portugal's 35 man preliminary squad.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/santos-names-preliminary-portugal-squad

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Olympique Lyonnais/France), Beto (Goztepe SK/Turkey), Rui Patricio (Sporting CP)

Defenders: Antunes (Getafe/Spain), Bruno Alves (Rangers/Scotland), Cedric (Southampton/England), Joao Cancelo (Internazionale/Italy), Jose Fonte (Dalian Aerbin/China PR), Luis Neto (Fenerbahce/Turkey), Mario Rui (Napoli/Italy), Nelson Semedo (Barcelona/Spain), Pepe (Besiktas/Turkey), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund/Germany), Ricardo (Porto), Rolando (Marseille/France), Ruben Dias (Benfica)

Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester City/England), Andre Gomes (Barcelona/Spain), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City/England), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting CP), Joao Mario (West Ham United/England), Joao Moutinho (Monaco/France), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow/Russia), Rony Lopes (Monaco), Ruben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers/England), Sergio Oliveira (Porto), William (Sporting CP)

Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan/Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Spain), Eder (Lokomotiv Moscow/Russia), Gelson Martins (Sporting CP), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia/Spain), Nani (Lazio/Italy), Paulinho (Braga), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas/Turkey)
They should have gambled on Renato Sanches again...after all, he did very well in the 2016 tournament.

Luke1995

I desperately need a country to support during this world cup. I can't stand being neutral.

Any suggestions?
If you like dark horses (surprises) go with Sweden, they have a well balanced squad who can shock some of the bigger names

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I was looking at a few caf possible 11s and found myself sniggering at the first few selections. Thought I'd do better but quickly realised that the consensus was largely right. We've just got an utterly mediocre squad. Possibly the worst I've seen.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Shelvey Wilshere Ox Lallana.
Wouldn't have been the worst options. Shame they're either injured, not picked or not match fit.
How is welbeck making the squad?

Aint gota Kalou

Welbecks been generally good for England, has been good for Arsenal lately (I think, although he clearly still has his donkey moments). I would pick him, plus we could do with some options on the left, we only have Rashford?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Welbecks been generally good for England, has been good for Arsenal lately (I think, although he clearly still has his donkey moments). I would pick him, plus we could do with some options on the left, we only have Rashford?
Considering we will be playing Kane up to, with vardy as back up or as a two, rashford, alli, Sterling, lingard should be enough. 6 players for the front 3 positions. It’s a fecking joke he’s been picked. Also, that midfield is devoid of any creativity without wilshere, shelvey or at least ox to run around.

Fully Fledged

Seems odd that his exclusion is even the sort of talking point it is/will be, when his last game for England was against Iceland in 2016 and he's shown that, even though it has improved, his fitness simply can't be trusted for a number of games in quick succession. Without even mentioning that I think people were allowing some decent-ish performances convince them that he was back to being the same player he was.
London based golden boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.