g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

World Cup 2018 - General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raru9

Surprised for that no-call up for Wilshere. I think he is a profile that England's squad dont have.

The excuse of Shelvey's temperament is a big joke.

Canagel

The writing was on the wall for Smalling a long time ago. Not surprised at his ommision at all. In the end it doesn't matter though Smalling or no Smalling England aren't going to win the World Cup so no point making a big deal out of it. Squad is laughably poor especially in midfield.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The squad on paper isn't as bad as people make out.

There's some good players there who have been important for their clubs.
The goalkeepers rate highly on those charts I posted the other day, and do well for their clubs.
Defence isn't great but ok. Alright, Smalling isn't in, but we hear no end about how Jones is supposed to be our best defender when fit, and everyone on here knows our defence isn't great/can't play it out anyway. Maguire has had a good season, as has Walker but has had to compete with Rose.

Midfielders could be good if they turn up. We know Alli can be. Henderson must be well versed in transitioning after this season (from defence to attack, not to a woman), we might see Messe, and RLC has been alright at times.

Our forwards are decent. Sterling has had a great season, Vardy has been pretty good, Kane is Kane, and Rashford does well for England.

saivet

I just looked up the 2014 WC squad and personally I think that one is worse

MoskvaRed

Seems Southgate is playing safe. No real attacking midfielder.
I think Southgate has studied England squads of the past and decided to avoid gambling on crocks or choosing players who might disrupt the harmony of the squad. Besides, Wilshire and Shelvey are hardly worldbeaters. With Milner staying retired and the Ox injured, the midfield cupboard was bare anyway. The strength is upfront and at fullback.

Minimalist

I think Southgate has studied England squads of the past and decided to avoid gambling on crocks or choosing players who might disrupt the harmony of the squad. Besides, Wilshire and Shelvey are hardly worldbeaters. With Milner staying retired and the Ox injured, the midfield cupboard was bare anyway. The strength is upfront and at fullback.
Picking Jones disputes that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fullbacks as in Trippier and Rose? An above average RB and a player who has hardly played any games this season.

Your only obvious strength is a world class striker imo.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Wilshere shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad.
Neither should Smalling or Jones for that.
Based on what ? Smalling had a better season than Jones, Cahill and Stones (who has rarely played since Jan)
The only technically capable midfielder is sitting out while the likes of Henderson, livermore and Dyers get a chance in midfield.

No wonder England doesn't win anything .

diarm

Being left out of an England squad seems to be a surefire route to legend status amongst England supporters.

Some of the waffle I've read today about the likes of Wilshere, Smalling and Shelvey beggars belief.

saivet

And, although I think Pope should be no.1 so I'm glad he's going, not sure why we really need 3 keepers. All 3 are decent enough, if unproven at the top level, but why can't one go on the standby list to give a semi decent centre mid /centre half option a space?
You're not allowed to.

When N.Korea were at the WC, they tried to be clever by naming a striker as one of their 3 GKs. They pretty much got told, he has to play in goal then, so never played. Dumb rule, but you take 3 keepers and that's all you need to know

siw2007

The squad looks decent to me. Of course we will do well to get to quarters.

Glaring issue is the centre midfield, lack of good options to play there which might be our undoing. Southgate will need to find a way around the problem.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Man what an unimpressive team.

Not Lallana, wilshire (i know hes been shit lately) or even shelvey, who isnt a world beater but hes got a good incisive pass in him, is baffling. Your team has "long balls to kane and sterling" written all over the place. Itll be a surprise if you get thru second round

MoskvaRed

Fullbacks as in Trippier and Rose? An above average RB and a player who has hardly played any games this season.

Your only obvious strength is a world class striker imo.
I was thinking of Walker but if he is playing more centrally, then fair point. Although why you would use of your few genuinely quality players out of position is another question.

You refer to Kane no doubt but, if England do make it into the knock out stages, then Vardy could be very useful against teams less inclined to park the bus.

Macca7

It's a disgrace that Smalling isn't in the squad. Best actual 'defender' we have by a long shot.

Southgates plan is to play out from the back....does he not realise we have no midfield and are absolutely shite in posession? We won't have the chance to play out from the back because as soon as we come up against a half decent team we will be defending most of the game. I really feel this is a massive, glaringly obvious mistake from him. When did Gary Cahill become a ball-playing CB? or Harry Maguire?

Absolutely shocking.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
That England squad looks absolutely dire.

Zero creativity in the squad, loads of out of form and inexperienced players.

Genuinely wondering if England will do worse than 2014 despite having Tunisia and Panama as the first two games.

MoskvaRed

Picking Jones disputes that.
After 7 years of sick room updates at Old Trafford, I can’t argue with that but replacing Jones with another centre half would not fundamentally alter the balance of the side. Wilshire on the other hand would not have a like for like replacement and his non-availability would involve more disruption.

bebeanderson

Ever since Tite was appointed, England was by far our toughest game. Even tougher than Germany, although we know friendlies hardly mean anything.

I think this is thte most promising English team in years, because they seem to understand their limitation and the coach is not fancy, he's young and willing to play a defensive back 5 but pacey on the counter.

SteveTheRed

Credit is due to Ashley Young for getting himself in the squad. I was quite shocked to find out it will be his first time at a world cup!

El Pasillo

Surprised for that no-call up for Wilshere. I think he is a profile that England's squad dont have.

The excuse of Shelvey's temperament is a big joke.
Yeah, Shelvey hasn't even been booked during 2018 so far.

The likes of Harry Kane, Dele Alli have done a lots of nasty challenges during this season and they'll be on Russia.

ti vu

I'm not sure why Smalling is the hill everyone is choosing to die on.

Smalling is a great defender in a low ball system. He is the perfect defender for a Mourinho team.

But with this English team, the defense will have to push out of the back in order to support the mediocre midfield and the rest of the team. Imagine Smalling in that setup. A player like Stones can bring the ball out of the back, switch the ball between both sides, and evade the press with the ball. Plus, contrary to belief on here, he's a good defender that played a lot of games in side that conceded the least amount of goals and shots on goal in the league. If you want to credit City's defensive record on their possession, then I'll credit United's defensive record on DDG, given the amount of shots we concede.

Jones is comfortable playing in such a setup, plus he's not a significantly worse defender than Smalling. Ditto for Maguire. Smalling may be the best pure defender, but his absolute inability to do anything with the ball makes him a liability in a side not playing hoof ball. And he's not good enough to build the team selection around him.
Tell me which team support mediocre midfield by push up the defensive line as well as passing between the defenders? This sounds like a new philosophy to me.

As far as I am concerned I can't remember a team using this tactic. You either stay compact having numbers in defense or have a good midfield who can keep possession and relieve pressure by passing.

Did you imply City defensive record on their defenders and keepers alone, and not the midfield unit? Did you imply Pep's philosophy bypass midfield's importance? :eek: John Stones had a good first half to the season but he didn't play much since and when he played afterward he's not at the same level. When he played City is hardly more secured than they were without him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
why the hell would you do such a ridiculous thing? You dont play the same football as Spain
What kind of football do we play?

Fascinated with how Southgate will setup against Nigeria and Costa Rica.

3 or 4 at the back and how he plans to create chances with the players picked?

I can really see this squad struggling to score.

No one in it to create chances? Or we’re planning to score from set pieces?

Who even takes them from that squad?

bebeanderson

Not one of Wilshere, Lallana or Shelvey is picked. Compare the creativity in this midfield to that of Spain.
Creativity is overrated. You either are creative or combative. The worst is trying to be creative with half assed players like Shelvey, while Spain throw Isco and Silva at you. You need to pick your strenghts and your poison. What do you excel at? Being tough and breaking fast? So be it

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Sessegnon should have gone for me. Also, Pope should definitely be starting in goal. Head and shoulders above the other two this season.

Castia

That’s gotta be the worst England World Cup squad in some time....absolutely shite.

Danny Welbeck is the best this country has to offer? Fabian Delph? Jesus, that’s scary.

Southgate likes his defenders playing a certain way the problem is all of them except Stones (who’s not even in the city squad of late) can’t pass for shit yet Smalling is the one frozen out.

Southgate is a joke anyway, not qualified to be in such a position he’s failed everywhere he’s been.

Last edited:

Ole'sbodyguard

What kind of football do we play?

Fascinated with how Southgate will setup against Nigeria and Costa Rica.

3 or 4 at the back and how he plans to create chances with the players picked?

I can really see this squad struggling to score.

No one in it to create chances? Or we’re planning to score from set pieces?

Who even takes them from that squad?
I think he is going to play the same formation as he used against Italy and Holland which was 3-1-4-2.

Three at the back with width coming from wing backs. In midfield, one holding player shielding back three with two more attack minded central midfield players ahead of that. Upfront either Ali or Sterling would probably behind Kane.

Aint gota Kalou

Well he's better than all of them, so any of them... Most likely would be Cahill based on the season he had.
Smalling is much better than Cahill but I guess Cahill is the only one who has experience of playing in a back 3 week in week out.

Other than Wilshere for Delph (who has been injured more and not played CM all season) and Smalling for whoever, its pretty close to what I would've picked. If Lallana was fit a month ago he would be a dead cert.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Tell me which team support mediocre midfield by push up the defensive line as well as passing between the defenders? This sounds like a new philosophy to me.

As far as I am concerned I can't remember a team using this tactic. You either stay compact having numbers in defense or have a good midfield who can keep possession and relieve pressure by passing.

Did you imply City defensive record on their defenders and keepers alone, and not the midfield unit? Did you imply Pep's philosophy bypass midfield's importance? :eek: John Stones had a good first half to the season but he didn't play much since and when he played afterward he's not at the same level. When he played City is hardly more secured than they were without him.
What team pairs a mediocre midfield with a defense that hoofs the ball?

If we play a deep line with the likes of Henderson and Dier in midfield, they'll be playing deep as well. That will isolate our front 3/4, who are not good enough to hurt defenses on their own IMO. Remember how we all bitch at Pogba having to go all the way to the back to get the ball? De Bruyne doesn't have to do that. Their CBs initiate a lot of attacking plays.

Ideally your defense is able to defend, and also push up when your team have the ball, so you can recycle possession at the back and start attacking moves going forward.

Regarding City's defensive record, they had the same midfield last season, but they conceded more goals in open play and at set pieces because their defense was operating at a lower level (and Bravo was a disaster). The vast improvement in their defensive record is a combination of them keeping the ball better and getting it back far up the field, Ederson being very good between the sticks, and Stones and Otamendi playing very well.

So no I'm not pinning all the credit for their defensive record on Stones. The same way I'm not pinning all the credit for United's defensive record on Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.