World Cup punditry and commentator watch

redshaw

I like him on the American channels but he's nowhere near as good with international football
I normally like Lee Dixon on the US rivers with Le Saux but he was such a downer when watching Argentina Mexico. We saw brilliance in the two goals yet the sounded depressed after that second one went in.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That Klinsmann clip is worse than I thought it would be based on the quotes I'd read and I thought the quotes were pretty bad. Firstly, that's some leading question from the host, who seemingly frees Klinsmann to go on his monologue about Iran's culture (of cheating) which is bad enough as it is, but the way he goes in on Quieroz's career for no reason (??) in between feels so weird and personal.
Ye I found that a bit weird and wonder if there is some history between them

noodlehair

"It's like..."
BBC well ahead in the shite punditry contest so far, in spite of ITV bringing in Neville.

Jonathan Pearce randomly naming every team in the Scottish league during a game between France and Australia, then claiming, for some reason, that the air conditioning was causing fans to "float out of the stadium" (he actually said this).

Punditry for the Brazil game literally being reduced to Micah Richards sharing anecdotes about some Brazilian player renting a room from him. Anecdotes which, despite being clearly made up, were also utterly uninteresting. This took up most of the pre match and then continued through all of half time. After the game he just kept saying "sauce" over and over.

Klinsmann's weird assessment that Iran beat Wales due to fouling them behind the ref's back. Nothing to do with them hammering them for the entire second half and Wales getting their goalkeeper sent off.

Jenas and his lack of being impressed with anything and lack of ability to just shut up about it for a few seconds.

ITV have Hartson who is better than all of the above even though it genuinely sounds like Clive Tyldsely has let his drunk Welsh dad into the studio.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
BBC well ahead in the shite punditry contest so far, in spite of ITV bringing in Neville.

Jonathan Pearce randomly naming every team in the Scottish league during a game between France and Australia, then claiming, for some reason, that the air conditioning was causing fans to "float out of the stadium" (he actually said this).

Punditry for the Brazil game literally being reduced to Micah Richards sharing anecdotes about some Brazilian player renting a room from him. Anecdotes which, despite being clearly made up, were also utterly uninteresting. This took up most of the pre match and then continued through all of half time. After the game he just kept saying "sauce" over and over.

Klinsmann's weird assessment that Iran beat Wales due to fouling them behind the ref's back. Nothing to do with them hammering them for the entire second half and Wales getting their goalkeeper sent off.

Jenas and his lack of being impressed with anything and lack of ability to just shut up about it for a few seconds.

ITV have Hartson who is better than all of the above even though it genuinely sounds like Clive Tyldsely has let his drunk Welsh dad into the studio.
:lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anyone else fade palming Shearer last night when he said Musiala was right to shoot when through on goal, then when the replay showed he only needed to square it and it would have been an easy tap in he doubled down as if the image we were seeing of an easy square pass proved his point?

CallyRed

ITV punditry and coverage at major football tournaments in general is better than the BBC.
Only downside is Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon

Sylar

Hutchinson and Townsend are a great duo for ITV. Hutchinson has a good voice for commentary (if that makes sense)
And ive been impressed with Townsend, he seems like hes having fun too which comes off.

Darkhorsez

Hutchinson and Townsend are a great duo for ITV. Hutchinson has a good voice for commentary (if that makes sense)
And ive been impressed with Townsend, he seems like hes having fun too which comes off.
Agree they are really funny without being cheesy and seem to really enjoying the occasion. My favourite combo for sure.

Bertie Wooster

That Klinsmann clip is worse than I thought it would be based on the quotes I'd read and I thought the quotes were pretty bad. Firstly, that's some leading question from the host, who seemingly frees Klinsmann to go on his monologue about Iran's culture (of cheating) which is bad enough as it is, but the way he goes in on Quieroz's career for no reason (??) in between feels so weird and personal.
Yeah, I think the Quieroz digs were the strangest part of it all as it felt an unnecessary aside.

The comments about a nation being traditionally tough to play against and pushing the rules didn't seem like anything I haven't heard over and over again about nations like Uruguay, Italy, etc. Or a continent like South America.

I thought the reaction to that was over the top, as no one would have batted an eyelid, or treated grumbles as credible, if he'd been generalising negatively - as many do - along the lines of 'typical Italians, Uruguayans, South Americans, Americans, Aussies', etc.

Smacky The Frog

Yeah, I think the Quieroz digs were the strangest part of it all as it felt an unnecessary aside.

The comments about a nation being traditionally tough to play against and pushing the rules didn't seem like anything I haven't heard over and over again about nations like Uruguay, Italy, etc. Or a continent like South America.

I thought the reaction to that was over the top, as no one would have batted an eyelid, or treated grumbles as credible, if he'd been generalising negatively - as many do - along the lines of 'typical Italians, Uruguayans, South Americans, Americans, Aussies', etc.
This is true, but characterizing an entire nation of footballers as cheats shouldn't be the acceptable standard and I don't think it is anymore. I think a pundit on the BBC talking about diving South Americans would face much more of a backlash now than they would even two or three years ago. This is progress. Just because it was acceptable back then doesn't mean it should be acceptable now.

I also think the optics of a famous striker from a European superpower criticizing the footballing culture and make-up of a mostly unknown minnow on a popular broadcast channel makes it look worse. It's punching down on a global stage and people were right to get mad about it especially because he was chatting complete shit.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Agree they are really funny without being cheesy and seem to really enjoying the occasion. My favourite combo for sure.
They were overdoing the bagel craic earlier but they've been a great duo so far, really enjoyed them. Is this WC Townsend's first co-comms gig?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Do you know what's great though? Not having to listen to Jim Beglin ever.

Usually, the odd time, United aren't on TV, need to load up a random stream and you're stuck with that prick.

It's nice that doesn't happen with RTÉ.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Obvious offside for the disallowed Brazil goal. ITV commentators acting as if it's some sort of conspiracy.
Surprised they seemed so perplexed, especially given Dixon made a career out of pushing up to catch the lazy centre-forward off.

Chief123

Dixon and earlier dion Dublin were absolutely shite. Dixon commentates like he doesn’t want to be there. Asked to go shopping with his mum.

Sylar

Dixon and earlier dion Dublin were absolutely shite. Dixon commentates like he doesn’t want to be there. Asked to go shopping with his mum.
Dixon is horrible. Dublin at least tries :lol: and seems like he wants to be there
Dixon is so dour

Chief123

Graeme Souness is such a Ronaldo fanboy at this point I'd have to question if he was on payroll.

I've never heard him talk like this about anyone
Im certain these anti Utd pundits were desperate for Ronaldo to stay at Utd so they could see more drama and chaos. I wish he went to Liverpool for 6 months and then see what Souness thinks. Most of these pundits are stuck with images of prime Ronaldo in their heads.

mikeyt

Souness is a useless pundit but what he's just said about Bellingham playing over Henderson is spot on.

This England team should be built around Bellingham and Foden, they are by far the best technical players we have. The fact that a washed up holding midfielder would come in for Bellingham is laughable and an insult to Jude. Clearly we're playing for another 0-0.

Lee565

There is such an abundance of footballers they could use as pundits and yet they not only get some real trash, they bring them back again and again.

I don't know why crouch doesn't get more of look in as he can actually bring some humour to the line up

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Champion and McCoist are Real Madrid compared to the Stevenage of Matterface and Dixon in the earlier game,

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Champion and McCoist are Real Madrid compared to the Stevenage of Matterface and Dixon in the earlier game,
A few years ago I wouldn't have really bat an eyelid but they are head and shoulders the best on terrestrial TV imo.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
McCoist kept going on about an 'excellent finish' and 'he knows what he's doing' when CR didn't even touch the ball. He hasn't even bothered to correct himself despite multiple replays :lol:

RedRJ

I’ve got a few general theories on pundits and co-commentators but not sure how well they stand up to close scrutiny:

- the more famous they are (i.e. in terms of footballing success) the more crap they are as a pundit/ co-commentator;

- foreign pundits are generally pretty good;

- female pundits are usually incoherent and only able to talk in cliches;

- female presenters are better than men;

Notable exceptions to all the above of course, but I think that these are broadly true for this WC and SKY/ BT.

Sylar

I like mccoist but he embarrassed himself then double downed rather than admitting a mistake. Was very funny

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like McCoist but he’s actually lost his mind over this non Ronaldo goal.

Mr. Meeseeks

Martin Tyler is sounding like a 77 year old man at this tournament while calling games for Aussie audiences.
I legitimately find it difficult to stay awake when he is commentating. My mind ends up wandering away from the game as he drones on and on tonelessly.

His commentary on the Cameroon Serbia game was particularly awful. I actually missed Cameroon’s 3-3 equaliser because I was looking away from the screen at the time and literally nothing he was saying indicated that a goal had been scored.

*Choupo-Moting scores equaliser*
Martin Tyler: “Another offside call here.. and ah Choupo-Moting. Now, where do we go from here. Serbia are furious again. VAR will check again. He’s not sure, Choupo-Moting. It’s all happening here.” -verbatim quote

He never even raised his voice. I looked up expecting to see an incident like a foul or something and was surprised to see replays of a goal having been scored.

retire please.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I legitimately find it difficult to stay awake when he is commentating. My mind ends up wandering away from the game as he drones on and on tonelessly.

His commentary on the Cameroon Serbia game was particularly awful. I actually missed Cameroon’s 3-3 equaliser because I was looking away from the screen at the time and literally nothing he was saying indicated that a goal had been scored.

*Choupo-Moting scores equaliser*
Martin Tyler: “Another offside call here.. and ah Choupo-Moting. Now, where do we go from here. Serbia are furious again. VAR will check again. He’s not sure, Choupo-Moting. It’s all happening here.” -verbatim quote

He never even raised his voice. I looked up expecting to see an incident like a foul or something and was surprised to see replays of a goal having been scored.

retire please.
I was the same as you. Cameroon came from 3-1 down to equalise late in the match and you would have been forgiven for thinking it was a run of the mill goal in the 45th minute to see a team go into half time 1-0 up.

He's been a great commentator but this has been one tournament too many for him. At his age, he could have done with 3-4 weeks between his last club game and the World Cup starting to recharge his commentating batteries so to speak but that was not impossible for this World Cup.

The Martin Tyler of 5 or 10 years ago would have done Cameroon's late equaliser which kept them in the World Cup justice. The 77 version of him sounds like he has packed it in and would rather be somewhere else.