Worst ever performance

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Boeteng vs Sweden in the World Cup is one of the worst I've seen in recent memory. Not only was he fecking shit but got sent off as well

Eila

That match Bebe was subbed in for an injured player and then was subbed out. Pretty embarrassing when that happens.
And Bebe has gone to have a respectable pro career.

gormless

I was in the crowd when Lee Dong Gook made his Premier League debut for Middlesbrough. I have never ever seen a player look so out his depth. It's not, "he has potential," or "bad game," he just was nowhere near good enough to play in the Premier League.

thedano

That match Bebe was subbed in for an injured player and then was subbed out. Pretty embarrassing when that happens.
And Bebe has gone to have a respectable pro career.
This.

Made better by the fact he came on for an injured Hargreaves who had lasted 7 minutes on his return from long term injury.

Vs Wolves it was, My wife’s first live game, so she saw Hargreaves play for Utd, Bebe’s crossing masterclass, two Park goals with one been a last minute winner.

Somehow she still says she doesn’t like football...

Reactions: SteveJ
Nani vs Chelsea in the 2012/2013 FA Cup, first game after his unfair dismissal against Madrid.

Couldn't complete a 5 yard pass, trap a ball, dribble semi-coherently etc. I just felt really sorry for him as he was always a confidence player and it was clearly at rock bottom here. Fergie even had to tell Nani to stop blaming himself for the CL exit.

Lindelof in several games last season.

JohnnyKills

Against United
Carragher in 99 (two OGs)

For United
Prunier vs Spurs
Taibi vs Southampton
Barthez vs Arsenal

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was in the crowd when Lee Dong Gook made his Premier League debut for Middlesbrough. I have never ever seen a player look so out his depth. It's not, "he has potential," or "bad game," he just was nowhere near good enough to play in the Premier League.
He’s still playing to my surprise. I couldn’t even get him scoring on one of my master league games on PES :lol:

Negan

Gary Neville against West Brom in 2011.

Non-United, it has to be Karius vs Madrid :lol:

Gopher Brown

Not really. He got sent off when we were 1-0 down and we fell apart near the end when he wasn't on the pitch. At 3-1 we went all out attack and were punished
While it was unfortunate we lost the league on goal difference, I wouldn’t have it any other way than all out attack if were 0-3 down. Losing 6-1 and taking a risk beats damage limitation every day.

Schneckerl

Good point, though iirc, Luiz simply went walk-about after a while, and he was nowhere to be seen in defence, when the Germans just strolled through.
Luiz was woeful and played his part no doubt, but for me someone like Karius who single handly killed his team's chances and the massive gap between him and how his teammates performed will always be worse.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Kerzhakov Euro 2012. Terrible finishing, missed a good handful of easy chances across the 3 group games.

Stanislav Cerchesov and Dmitriy Kharine Euro 96. Might as well have been playing with a log in goal. Akinfeev 2014 was really bad too, making a key mistake against South Korea you rarely even see happen from amatuers, but he at least redeemed himself at the last WC.

Steerpike

City 1 v Middlesboro 8.
Everybody....

Gerrard vs United where he got sent off after 20 seconds or whatever.
That was just so funny! Someone produced his positional heat map (as a joke, not accurately), and it consisted of a single line from the centre circle to the touchline.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Stefan Savic at Anfield in a League Cup semi final. He was subbed at HT but I don't ever recall seeing a player so clearly bereft of confidence after he made an initially nervy start.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Paul Gascgoine vs Man City in the early 90s.

He spotted Lineker submerging his leg in hot water to loosen the muscles so decided to do the same, only Lineker did just his leg for 5 minutes whereas Gazza went up to his neck for 20.

Needless to say he was groggy and exhausted and subbed off by half time.

Devil81

Evra vs City on his debut springs to mind, positionally all over the place, physically all over the place and basically had the worst performance of his career.

El Presidente

Against United
Carragher in 99 (two OGs)

For United
Prunier vs Spurs
Taibi vs Southampton
Barthez vs Arsenal
Don’t remember Barthez against Arse but now that you’ve mentioned him - Barthez against Deportivo? It’s not like he was trying but had an off day, he was well and truly playing for the opponent that day.

JohnnyKills

Don’t remember Barthez against Arse but now that you’ve mentioned him - Barthez against Deportivo? It’s not like he was trying but had an off day, he was well and truly playing for the opponent that day.
Was referring to that time he gave Henry two goals and pulled up his shorts for no apparent reason. He wasn't great against Depor either, was he. I actually liked him but he had some absolute stinkers during his time with us.

DavidDeSchmikes

Without repeating the obvious ones already mentioned..

Ashley Young against City at the Eithad in the Moyes season. We lost 4-1

VanGaalyTime

For a United related performance, I'd say Chris Smalling in THAT Olympiakos game. Although that was definitely the worst ever team performance I've seen from United.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Collectively this is pretty bad from Sunderland's defense.

Frank Grimes

I recall a Nani performance in the FA Cup where he was abysmal, think it was 2013 but could be wrong. Remember we lost and Demba Ba scored. He literally couldn't complete a pass.

Last edited: