Worst PL players "stealing a living"?

Red_toad

The part in bold the only reason Lingard is lucky enough to not have been released.
Hence why he is indeed stealing a living.
It really isn't. We've allowed many a youngster born and bred in the local area go. Lad is obviously very dedicated to his sport and has contributed to United's recent trophy wins. I really don't understand how he's picked out as stealing a living, when there a Premier League players who look like they've eaten too many pies and had a few too many drinks. I'd be thinking along the lines of Williams and Rooney at Everton.
But obviously this thread is a popularity thread for some, not actually looking at how some players earn their money. Being not as skilled as other players doesn't mean you're not working hard for your money.

Maccataq

No-one. Football is a meritocracy where there is no nepotism, no biases, the best players rise to the top and they earn contracts on that basis. Ok, there may be some earning more or less than they should but what industry is that not the case?

I don't get why people pick on players like Lingard and I see someone put Welbeck in the thread! Are you kidding me?! He's a fantastic player who Utd should never have sold. You don't make your way into the Utd first team without deserving the chance.

Is Rondon that bad or is he just low on confidence in a struggling defensive team? I think there are many players who can play very well in the right team. Just look at Marc Albrighton - he was released by Aston Villa and won the title with Leicester the next season!

I think what people mis-understand is that there is more to playing football than pure technical ability alone. Mental strength and athleticism go a long way and of course the best players have all 3, however, there have been great players that haven't been technically world class but performed at the highest level, e.g. Gary Neville.

Lastly, including Mata in that is just folly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Gueye stealing a living ffs. I hate that phrase but there are far worse culprits than him in our squad currently. Schneiderlin has been very poor, Williams also. Gueye came in as a 7 million pound signing and has shown far more than the big money signings of this season (Gylfi, Keane etc.) have.

TheOrgazoid

It really isn't. We've allowed many a youngster born and bred in the local area go. Lad is obviously very dedicated to his sport and has contributed to United's recent trophy wins. I really don't understand how he's picked out as stealing a living, when there a Premier League players who look like they've eaten too many pies and had a few too many drinks. I'd be thinking along the lines of Williams and Rooney at Everton.
But obviously this thread is a popularity thread for some, not actually looking at how some players earn their money. Being not as skilled as other players doesn't mean you're not working hard for your money.
Oh he definitely works for it.
No one is questioning Lingard's workrate.

But being lucky enough to have a lucrative job is also about the technical capabilities to do that job.

I could join a law firm tomorrow and work 14 hour days, seven days a week.

I wouldn't expect to win too many of those sexy court cases, though.

Lingard should not be a United player because, given what I have seen of him, he is simply no lawyer.

Hardworking, sure.

Dr. StrangeHate

Fair enough. But in the case of Anderson, he didn't try at all and we let him go at the end of his contract. Similarly with Shaw by all accounts he doesn't put the effort in and we are going to sell him. This is stealing a living ("not putting the effort in while collecting a paycheck"). This is different to lingard who works hard but just isn't good enough and we awarded him a £100,000 contract despite knowing this before hand.
Same can be said about every player mentioned here. They are only "stealing" what is thrown their way.

prath92

Then why is he here? Can't be based on talent.
Anyway, do you have any picks for this thread?
Because he helps the team. Simple. Unless you actually think Mourinho plays him because he is from Manchester United.

TheOrgazoid

Because he helps the team. Simple. Unless you actually think Mourinho plays him because he is from Manchester United.
Forget the manager choosing him, it's a pointless argument because if we leveled that arguement at every post in this thread then there would be no thread.

Every manager has picked the players in the thread; PL managers know more (presumably) than we do; therefore all of the names here actually are playing for a reason and not stealing a living.

So let's bin that arguement and actually just give OUR opinions.

In your opinion as a fan, how does he help this team?

prath92

Forget the manager choosing him, it's a pointless argument because if we leveled that arguement at every post in this thread then there would be no thread.

Every manager has picked the players in the thread; PL managers know more (presumably) than we do; therefore all of the names here actually are playing for a reason and not stealing a living.

So let's bin that arguement and actually just give OUR opinions.

In your opinion as a fan, how does he help this team?
He can offer something different as a plan B. In the less important games (league cup) he can be a nuisance to the opposition. His movement is really good and makes intelligent runs. Obviously his output isn’t as good as others in the squad hence why he is the backup .

TheOrgazoid

He can offer something different as a plan B. In the less important games (league cup) he can be a nuisance to the opposition. His movement is really good and makes intelligent runs. Obviously his output isn’t as good as others in the squad hence why he is the backup .
So it's his off the ball movement, intelligent runs and general distances covered?

Okay, fair enough.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How has no one mentioned Saido Berahino! The guy is a striker, yet hasn't scored a single goal in neither this season nor the whole of last season.

Red_toad

Oh he definitely works for it.
No one is questioning Lingard's workrate.

But being lucky enough to have a lucrative job is also about the technical capabilities to do that job.

I could join a law firm tomorrow and work 14 hour days, seven days a week.

I wouldn't expect to win too many of those sexy court cases, though.

Lingard should not be a United player because, given what I have seen of him, he is simply no lawyer.

Hardworking, sure.
Well when you manage a successful team you can implement your Management techniques. As he's been a squad member under a few managers now, maybe they see something you don't. But still lad isn't stealing a living, he's working very hard. I care not what his ability is, as that isn't what the thread is about. Thread is about application and he applies himself very well, he has scored some vital goals for us. I believe a few months ago, maybe Ashley Young would have been a contender on here, but as he's recently shown how important he is to the squad he'll not get a mention.

Oh and when he starts practicing Law, you can then state how hard he works, I'd be pretty certain he doesn't hold a law degree.

Maccataq

The part in bold the only reason Lingard is lucky enough to not have been released.
Hence why he is indeed stealing a living.
Firstly, no need to say "hence why" ;)

Secondly, it is deluded to think Lingard is only playing for Utd because he is local. He is from Warrington so he's not exactly a Mancunian and you don't have world class managers such as Jose Mourinho consistently selecting him if he is no good. Say what you like about LVG but he has been a world class coach and also liked him and I dare say Fergie would rate him too. You don't come through the Man Utd academy if you're no good because he has had to compete against countless players at every age level to get where he is and then he has forced his way into the Utd first team squad vs competition from all the players Utd could or have bought in the transfer market. We've seen more technically adept players come and go such as Depay and Zaha in recent years so there is more to it - there is attitude, work rate, off the ball movement, decision making to name a few and I think Lingard excels in attributes such as those. 3 important goals at Wembley tell you he has the mental fortitude to play at this level.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I know i wont be the first but it must be said... Lingard
Jog on. Seriously

I’m sick to the back teeth of so called united fans moving from one scape goat to another. O’Shea, Fletcher, young, Valencia, Rooney and now Lingard

If you don’t rate him, fair enough but to say he’s stealing a living is basically saying he shouldn’t be a footballer which is so far over the top criticism that I just think you’re a wanker

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
surely 'stealing a living' implies that they sort of bluffed their way into it, or don't really try or bother in any way, are lazy gits, and yet still make all that moolah, maybe because of their standing, past success, or dumb luck despite laziness.

which is why saying Lingard is bollocks. I don't rate him, I don't think he's good enough for utd, but he's clearly worked very hard to get where he is, and continues to work very hard, and in any profession, football included, that to me is not stealing a fecking living!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well said

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How has no one mentioned Saido Berahino! The guy is a striker, yet hasn't scored a single goal in neither this season nor the whole of last season.
Great shout. Forgot he existed

M Bison

Supports
York City
Lukaku. The lack of technical ability and the woeful feet/touch this man has means he would be better as a rugby player. We might as well have Usian Bolt up front as Lukaku is only there through athleticism.
Dear oh dear, wonders never cease on the caf

Acole9

Outstanding
How has James McCarthy not been mentioned! He's a graduate from the school of the Ray Wilkins sideways pass. A complete passenger in every game and I don't think he's put his stamp on a match in his whole career.

Pretty much the entire Bournemouth back four, no other Premier League club would touch them with a barge pole, they're League One quality at best. Credit to Howe though for sticking with them and somehow still maintaining the clubs Premier League status.

Rossa

Stealing a living can only apply to those who cash in their salary without contributing. I can’t recall his name, but City offered a 5 year 30k a week contract to a youngster who immediately got injured and never played again. He still earned 30k per week for 5 years. Now that is stealing a living.

Schweinsteiger was close to stealing a living considering how little he played and the wages he was on. He was a great player, once.

Probably the best suggestion in this thread. Made no bones about the fact he was prepared to hang around taking the salary knowing he would not play
I disagree. He conducted himself professionally, trained with the reserved when told to do so. Not his fault the contract was offered to him.

For me, players that might be more talented but take the piss out of their clubs are far worse, i.e. Nile Ranger and his ilk.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Danny Welbeck
Good shout. He's basically having no impact whatsoever at Arsenal.
But his stats 13 in 58 are kind of good enough. He will get a bigger contract probably when the current one ends.

Acole9

Outstanding
Stealing a living can only apply to those who cash in their salary without contributing. I can’t recall his name, but City offered a 5 year 30k a week contract to a youngster who immediately got injured and never played again. He still earned 30k per week for 5 years. Now that is stealing a living.

Schweinsteiger was close to stealing a living considering how little he played and the wages he was on. He was a great player, once.
Michael Johnson?

Blind

Phil Bardsley and Charlie Adam are still hanging around the PL somehow. You'd expect both to be journeyman Championship/League 1 players in 2017.

Number1

First name that comes to mind is Rooney by the amount he got paid by United and probably still gets at Everton, then there's Mangala, Moreno and Danny Ings.

Gareth Bale and Jack Wilshere also comes to mind.

Edit:-
@Cascarino had to reply this way as used all my 5 post limit today

Bale and Wilshere I understand (though disagree with) due to their injury problems, but Delph has been flying at LB for City this season.
Yeah I've edited that part. Added Danny Ings, but that may be also be a harsh due to injury problems, but you know its a harsh world. Many working class people in this thread and If we was constantly ill, never turned up to work and getting sick pay, our employers would look at it as 'getting paid for nothing' and would want rid.

Last edited: