g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Worst player at premier League clubs that starts regularly

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal - Xhaka or David Luiz
Aston Villa - Guilbert
Bournemouth - Fraser or Lerma (Fraser reverted to type this year after last year's showing and Lerma, like Xhaka, is just a walking yellow card)
Brighton - Stephens
Chelsea - Zouma or Pedro
Crystal Palace - Benteke
Everton - Pickford, Walcott or Mina
Leicester - Perez
Liverpool - Can't pick one although I think Firmino and Fabinho are vastly overrated
Man City - Stones, Otamendi or Mendy
Man Utd - James or Fred* (Lingard would be but doesn't start enough to count)
Newcastle - Joelinton or Dummett
Norwich - Hanley
Sheffield Utd - McBurnie
Southampton - Long
Spurs - Aurier
Watford - Who even knows? Andre Gray doesn't start enough but he's terrible
West Ham - Ogbonna
Wolves - Traore (he's literally only fast, his end product is shambolic)

*I'm aware United fans love him and rave about how impressive he's been lately.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Aston Villa - Guilbert
Bournemouth - Fraser or Lerma (Fraser reverted to type this year after last year's showing and Lerma, like Xhaka, is just a walking yellow card)
Brighton - Stephens
Chelsea - Zouma or Pedro
Crystal Palace - Benteke
Leicester - Perez
Liverpool - Can't pick one although I think Firmino and Fabinho are vastly overrated
Norwich - Hanley
Sheffield Utd - McBurnie
Southampton - Long
Spurs - Aurier
West Ham - Ogbonna

Traore is joint 4th in the league for most assists. Only De Bruyne, Mahrez, and Alexander Arnold have managed more.
Best player on the pitch against City, home and away.
I wouldn't be able to make a list myself, as I currently don't watch enough of the other EPL sides.

SAFMUTD

Not many to mention but the clearer ones:

Arsenal - David Luiz
Newcastle - Joelinton 1 freaking goal all season and cost them 50 million, and he starts regularly for them total waste.
Everton - Pickford
Man Utd - Pereira

hubbuh

Yep just looked back at his own thread after the Rochdale game and most were still saying what a waste of money. :lol: Has @el3mel changed his opinion I wonder?

Guys I'm not denying he's looked much more like the player you thought you'd signed in last two months but think saying he's your POTY is a little over the top from what I've seen from other players.
Well, you’ve switched the argument there though! You’ve gone from arguing he’s our biggest flop to arguing he’s not our POTY. First of all, his good form has been more than the last 6 weeks/2 months as people keep saying! It started back in October/November. Secondly he’s been far, far better than Shaw this season. Way more integral to our style of play and even in games we dropped points (against Aston Villa and Liverpool stand out) he was the only player that came out with any credit. In my opinion he is our POTY, certainly a lot more so than Shaw and I’m struggling to see who else could feasibly claim it.

ReddBalls

No I understand that from your fan POV. Luke Shaw not in same category though considering Mourinho was publically humiliating him at certain points? It takes mental strength to bounce back from your own manager constantly calling you out like that.
Mou told Fred he was finished at the club in his 3rd or 4th month.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Really? Guess he's come on lots considering how bad he was at points last season (can still remember his performance v Man. City in the run in where even basic 5 yard passes were beyond) but I'd say Luke Shaw would deserve it more if you want a comeback story as he's really established himself as one of the better LBs in the league again after the lows of Mourinho and also done well at times in back 3.

Wan Bisaaka also done pretty well considering he's only been a regular at this level for two years. Rashford was basically carrying you in the final third up to xmas. Perhaps Maguire hasn't met expectations given the fee but he's really stood up as a leader in last few weeks, good decision by OGS to give him the captains armband.

Even in the midfield area your win ratio seems to go up when McTominay is around which underlines his importance to your team now. That's before we even get to Bruno Fernandes....

Fred really POTY before all those guys? Generally interested in your opinion there.
Yep I think so. I think everyone had a slow start but since about October Fred has pretty much played every minute of every game, and ran himself into the ground every match. Some quite outstanding performances against some of the top 6 sides that we've had a great record against this season. I think of the rest you mention Wan Bissaka has been the most consistent, but he has had a lot of question marks over his attacking this season, which has improved the last few weeks. Rashford and McTom have probably missed too much through injury. Shaw has only been good in the last month or so, had serious question marks over his future before that. Maguire has been a success overall, and is starting to look like a defender you could justify spending big money on. Fred---Wan Bissaka---Maguire in that order for me at the minute

Andersonson

Just been watching the Leicester - Villa game and noticed how terrible Villas right back is. He's been at fault for the 3 goals I've seen, and Barnes scored the first who is his opposite number.

Raised a question of who is the worst player in each team that regularly starts for them. Say a minimum of 10 starts as a barometer.

Arsenal - Mustafi
Aston Villa - Guilbert
Bournemouth - Solanke
Brighton - Alzate
Burnley - Lowton
Chelsea - Emerson
Crystal Palace - McCarthy
Everton - Iwobi
Leicester - Choudhury
Liverpool - Lovren
Man City - Otamendi
Man Utd - Lingard
Newcastle - Joelinton
Norwich - Tettey
Sheff Utd - Moussett (No one really deserves this)
Southampton - Adams
Tottenham - Dier
Watford - Mariappa
West Ham - Zabaleta?
Wolves - Saiss

Have you even watched some of these??

Tettey for instance has been brilliant. Far from their worst player.

Irrational.

With Everton I'd say it's a toss up between Iwobi (how Arse managed to con them out of £30 million+ I have no idea), Sigurdsson (does jack shit except score a FK every now and then) and Walcott. All Championship level players at present.

MalcolmTucker

At Spurs it is easily Sanchez imo. Everytime I watch them he's clueless dealing with long diagonals/crosses which causes carnage. Vertonghten must be really bad now if he can't get a regular game.

It's tough to pick some as not sure a lot of those players in OP's list have even started 10 games so really it's just squad players who can in for individual games (like O'Shea used to do) but struggle more with a run of starts.

Of course six weeks back I'd have said Fred would be a must for this thread but not so much recently....

Gulibert has been o.k for most of this season. Just in really bad form now like most of them. Wesley was the obvious pick for us before his injury.
You saying this completely negates the rest of your picks. Fred has been our player of the season so far imo.

Andersonson

Again who would you pick instead
From every team?

Thats quite a list.

I can give from the teams I've actually watched.

Norwich - Drmic
Sheff Utd - Besic
Brighton - Jahanbaksh
Watford - Andre Gray
Spurs - Gazzaniga
Arsenal - Ozil
Chelsea - Batshuayi
Leicester - Praet
City - Cancelo
Pool - Lallana
Man Utd - Lingard / Andreas

SweetRightFoot

Liverpool has to be Lovren. He's their 3rd choice CB if I'm not mistaken and is just totally out of it.

crossy1686

career ending
Fred??
Aston Villa - Guilbert
Brighton - Stephens
Chelsea - Zouma or Pedro
Crystal Palace - Benteke
Leicester - Perez
Norwich - Hanley
Sheffield Utd - McBurnie
Southampton - Long
Spurs - Aurier
West Ham - Ogbonna

Fred?? He was favourite for player of the season until Bruno came along...

POF

This has suddenly become a difficult question since Tony Hibbert retired. He would have taken this award more regularly than Messi and Ronaldo have won Ballon D'Ors.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Aston Villa - Guilbert
Brighton - Stephens
Chelsea - Zouma or Pedro
Crystal Palace - Benteke
Leicester - Perez
Norwich - Hanley
Sheffield Utd - McBurnie
Southampton - Long
Spurs - Aurier
West Ham - Ogbonna

You must not watch much football outside of Celtic.

Acole9

Outstanding
Vestergaard for Southampton. Baffled as to why Leicester wanted him in January.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
From every team?

Thats quite a list.

I can give from the teams I've actually watched.

Norwich - Drmic
Sheff Utd - Besic
Brighton - Jahanbaksh
Watford - Andre Gray
Spurs - Gazzaniga
Arsenal - Ozil
Chelsea - Batshuayi
Leicester - Praet
City - Cancelo
Pool - Lallana
Man Utd - Lingard / Andreas
Batshuayi has started 1 premier League game this season

kyofusho

There's no way Dennis Praet has been the worst regular starter for Leicester. He's had a good season and has recently pushed Tielemans out of their first XI.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Agree with all of those bar Otamendi, he can’t defend for shit, he’s a calamity waiting to happen and City always look like conceding when he plays. The difference between him and the calm presence of Laporte is literally night and day imo. I can’t believe he keeps getting starts for this City side.
This season he has shown his age. Previous seasons he's been fine for them.

Think Mendy moreso fits this... Because he's never gained form due to injury

Full bodied red

Fred??

Fred?? He was favourite for player of the season until Bruno came along...
I'd say he's ' Comeback Player of the Year ' as they do in MLB.

Not sure about either him or Fernandes being Player of the Year - at least, not yet with another couple of months still to go....Player of the Year will be whoever scores the last minute winner in the last match of the season to guarantee us a Top4 spot.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Going to change my Spurs pick to Serge Aurier, guy is useless. :lol:

hmchan

I understand different people may have different definitions on "starting regularly" but some of the names mentioned here are just outrageous. It's fine not to follow closely on every team but filling names without watching a game makes the whole discussion meaningless. I'd rather leave it blank when I'm not sure. For me I'll only choose players who start at least 5 games in PL:

Arsenal - Xhaka (Obvious), Lacazette (Less obvious)

David Luiz and Mustafi are contenders but they play okay most of the time. It's just that their occasional mistakes got amplified by the media. Xhaka is consistently poor while Lacazette had been disappointing until recently. This can also be shown from the fact that Arteta has decided to start Nketiah ahead of him in recent matches. Nonetheless, it seems he is fighting his place back after scoring the decisive goal in the last match.

Aston Villa - Engels

Most of the team is below average but Engels stands out to be the worst.

Burnley - Taylor (Obvious), Pieters (Less obvious)

Taylor is a major weakness on Burnley's defence. He can't keep up with the pace of the game and his crossing is terrible. Unfortunately his backup choice Pieters isn't any better, that's why Taylor still manages to start every week.

Chelsea - Kante

Yes you're right, it's Kante the so-called best defensive midfielder in the world. Very few mention but it's safe to say he is having a terrible season under Lampard. The win percentage drops drastically whenever he plays and he just doesn't fit in the required role. His lack of technical ability is exposed and he lacks the creativity to break down defences. His defensive contribution also drops compared to previous seasons. Btw he is one of the reasons why we are still in the top 4 race.

Crystal Palace - Benteke

Very wasteful in front of goal.

Everton - Pickford (Obvious), Sidibe (Less obvious)

Always don't understand how come Pickford can be England's no. 1. Questioned him a lot even when he was claiming POTY and no more argument for this season. Great distribution can't overweigh poor goalkeeping. Sidibe plays fine as a winger but his weakness is exposed when he plays as a right back. Poor defensive positioning and awareness. Got exploited often.

Liverpool - Lovren

Not much debate on this one I figure.

Man City - Rodri (Obvious), Jesus (Less obvious)

Zinchenko is a likely contender but Rodri is the one I laugh at every game. Just can't cope with the tempo of PL and struggle to protect the defence. Jesus wastes multiple chances in many games and his decision is poor. Has great technique but unable to fully utilize. Very likely to be another failed wonderkid.

Man Utd - Lingard, Pereira

Needless to say.

Newcastle - Joelington

Always difficult to play for a team like Newcastle but his performance is just terrible. Poor goalscoring record and poor display on the pitch. Hardly justify his transfer fee.

West Ham - Roberto

Really shocked no one mentions him. So many errors leading to goals and dropped points in the middle of the season. Forced West Ham to resign Randolph and give chances to third choice keeper David Martin. One of the worst keepers I've seen in the PL. Masuaku and Ogbonna are sometimes poor but not bad enough to put them on the list imo.

I also watch Leicester, Tottenham and Wolves a lot but it's very difficult to pick one for them. None really stands out to be the worst.

Nick7

Was he that good up to xmas? Started in defeats at Newcastle and Bournemouth, 2-0 loss at Watford, 2-0 at Arsenal where you were very passive and the 2-2 v us which is your worst home result of the season I think. Also started the 1-1 v Rochdale. Fair enough if he was amazing in those games but the poor general team performances suggests he wasn't.
I get that the conversation moved on but he genuinely was one of our better players during that run. But he’s not the kind of player that can tip a game to your advantage. When he plays well and the team is playing well he’s involved in everything. But if he’s playing well and the team isn’t, he can’t change the outcome.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
McCarthy is very harsh for CPFC, took a while to get going due to his injuries but starting to look a little like the player that Everton fans loved in the last few weeks. The obvious answer for us is Benteke but I’d like to nominate Cheikou Kouyate...fantastic athlete, great engine, spoons for feet.

Bestietom

Just been watching the Leicester - Villa game and noticed how terrible Villas right back is. He's been at fault for the 3 goals I've seen, and Barnes scored the first who is his opposite number.

Raised a question of who is the worst player in each team that regularly starts for them. Say a minimum of 10 starts as a barometer.

Arsenal - Mustafi
Aston Villa - Guilbert
Bournemouth - Solanke
Brighton - Alzate
Burnley - Lowton
Chelsea - Emerson
Crystal Palace - McCarthy
Everton - Iwobi
Leicester - Choudhury
Liverpool - Lovren
Man City - Otamendi
Man Utd - Lingard
Newcastle - Joelinton
Norwich - Tettey
Sheff Utd - Moussett (No one really deserves this)
Southampton - Adams
Tottenham - Dier
Watford - Mariappa
West Ham - Zabaleta?
Wolves - Saiss
It's a toss up between 3 of LIngard, Mata, and Pereira, for United.

Amerifan

This. Easily the worst player at City who consistently starts or plays. How Mendy cannot overtake him speaks a lot to his (Mendy's) fitness and ability to gain any form. But Zinchenko is crap.
I was thinking Mendy as well. When he gets the ball it never seems to result in anything positive. Zinchenko isn’t quite as bad as Mendy, but neither are up to the standards of the rest of the squad. Otamandi is having a bad season, but he’s suffering because LaPorte is out: no one is going to look good with a midfielder as their CB partner. Another candidate is Jesus. He’s young and he will come good, but right now he’s just a massive step down from the aging Aguerro.

Amerifan

It's a toss up between 3 of LIngard, Mata, and Pereira, for United.
Mata? He doesn’t belong in the same sentence as the other two. I’d put Chong up there with them, but Mata has paired well with Bruno.

Bestietom

Mata? He doesn’t belong in the same sentence as the other two. I’d put Chong up there with them, but Mata has paired well with Bruno.
Yes, Mata would be 3rd in line of the 3 I mentioned, only because of him losing the ball in possession too often now. When he has space he can still pick out a pass much better than the others, but in a physical game he goes missing. Yes we need someone that can play with Bruno and have an understanding with each other. I think we might get 1 or 2 in the summer.

edcunited1878

I was thinking Mendy as well. When he gets the ball it never seems to result in anything positive. Zinchenko isn’t quite as bad as Mendy, but neither are up to the standards of the rest of the squad. Otamandi is having a bad season, but he’s suffering because LaPorte is out: no one is going to look good with a midfielder as their CB partner. Another candidate is Jesus. He’s young and he will come good, but right now he’s just a massive step down from the aging Aguerro.
When Mendy came on, I genuinely thought to myself, great because he was no threat and wasn't going to be a difference maker.