Wot, 3 transfers :) but no sales :(

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who I expect leave very soon:
  • Either Pereira or Lingard - Possibly Pereira on loan somewhere. Lingard - doesn’t look like he wants a move to the type of teams you’d have expected to be interested.
  • Dalot if Trippy arrives - Trippier will join only if we get rid of Dalot. I can see Dalot going back to Milan on a shit loan deal for us.
  • James - I highly doubt it. He’d definitely have his suitors but I think we’ll keep him for some reason.
  • Either Jones, Bailly or Lindelof - we’ve tried to let Jones go on a free and nobody wants him. Lindelof is going nowhere. Bailly is probably on too much money and just signed an extension.
  • Williams on loan - Probably. Maybe Norwich or someone like that.
My thoughts in bold. can see about 2 or 3 of those going, then.

-Supreme-

I'd imagine we wanted to delay the outgoings until the full squad return back to preseason to assess their fitness levels as some of these players may well be needed for the first 3 games just before the transfer window closes.

I expect (and hoping) more movement in the next week or so.

Rooney1987

My thoughts in bold. can see about 2 or 3 of those going, then.
Agreed. Also on James with Rashford out for till October maybe even November they’ll need another winger. James will be the back up to Greenwood and Sancho. Maybe James gets sold in January when Marcus is back but most likely next summer.

largelyworried

Saw a good point on (I think) The Athletic yesterday. PSG are apparently now trying to offload a bunch of their squad players to balance the Messi salary. Coupled with the players that Barca are desperate to sell, a few that City are wanting to get rid of and one or two from Madrid, there's actually a tonne of high-quality players knocking on the market. I think it's going to be exceptionally hard to shift anyone meaningful this summer and I think that the price I thought we might get for Lingard a few months ago (~£30m) is bound to be unrealistic.

Steve 007

No one has any money, apart from City, Utd, Chelsea and PSG. None of the Italians (maybe inter will soend a little), Spanish or German clubs will spend and no one in the PL will spend much.

So who’s going to buy our high wages players that we don’t want?

We are not going to sell Martial for under £40 million, we won’t part with Lingard for under 20 and apparently we want 25 for Perriera.
Ideally 50 for Martial and 30 for Lingard but it’s not going to happen.

Lights Out

No one has any money, apart from City, Utd, Chelsea and PSG. None of the Italians (maybe inter will soend a little), Spanish or German clubs will spend and no one in the PL will spend much.

So who’s going to buy our high wages players that we don’t want?

We are not going to sell Martial for under £40 million, we won’t part with Lingard for under 20 and apparently we want 25 for Perriera.
Ideally 50 for Martial and 30 for Lingard but it’s not going to happen.
It’s the knock on effect if deals go through, though, isn’t it?

Inter will buy if Lukaku goes. Spurs will buy if Kane goes and so and so on.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I can only imagine that Ole is still having nightmares thinking about the lack of options from the bench in the EL Final and is looking to increase the depth of the squad, explaining why we don't look like we're moving on the 2nd string players.

Goku1983

Our outgoings will probably happen deadline day if any are gona happen

Abraxas

It's going to be very hard to shift our players, that is for sure. I don't think it's for a want of trying. It's a combination of the fact that we are mainly trying to sell to middling clubs who are badly hit financially, combined with the age old problem of the wages we pay to squad players, possibly also combined with a new approach which seeks to be tougher with respect to the value we realise from sales. We may even be more willing to keep players around just for the sake of maintaining this tougher position.

Whether that's a good idea, I'm not sure - we are always trying to sell very unappealing "assets" in comparison to some other sides and that's the problem. We don't generally sell young players after they've shown promise or even on loan, we dither. Trying to sell players like Pereira who have routinely failed, or Martial who earns ridiculous money, these aren't trivial matters, especially now.

Judas

Open to offers
I can only imagine that Ole is still having nightmares thinking about the lack of options from the bench in the EL Final and is looking to increase the depth of the squad, explaining why we don't look like we're moving on the 2nd string players.
I do think there is a bit in that, but then the players it looks like will be sticking around, who of them would you possibly think "aye he'll save us" if we're desperate in that sort of scenario again? I suppose Andreas could come on and score a worldie, but he's probably already played that card already in pre-season.

dinostar77

Saw a good point on (I think) The Athletic yesterday. PSG are apparently now trying to offload a bunch of their squad players to balance the Messi salary. Coupled with the players that Barca are desperate to sell, a few that City are wanting to get rid of and one or two from Madrid, there's actually a tonne of high-quality players knocking on the market. I think it's going to be exceptionally hard to shift anyone meaningful this summer and I think that the price I thought we might get for Lingard a few months ago (~£30m) is bound to be unrealistic.
Exactly, you really have to drop your prices i.e. lingaard to £10mil to get players shifted. Lots of clubs want to offload players, not that much liquidity in the market.

Bestietom

I would love Dalot to work out as a back up but I dont think he is good enough yet. If Trippier pushed for a move it would be better for us. I still think another CM is what we need first
Yes I agree, A top commanding midfielder is needed.

Mike Smalling

Why do people think James is going anywhere? He's probably going to start against Leeds
Wishful thinking?

Regarding the line-up against Leeds, couldn't we see Martial, Bruno, Greenwood and Cavani as the front four? Not fully up to date on their individual fitness levels.

RkkMan

Risky but understandable move calling it a day with signings. Would have loved a RB and DM but £30m for a soon to be 31yr old Trippier much as I rate him is immoral and looking at the midfield options bar Camavinga(who doesn't want to be at Utd) none of them make sense at all as sitting DMs for Bruno/Pogba
Saul- Not a DM and a risky buy looking at his kidney problems and form since 2018
Neves- Good on the ball but not so good at defending as a lone DM needs another defense minded CM next to him
Rice, Tchouameni(if Chelsea don't buy him now), Bissouma and possibly Ndidi will all be available next year rather we do what we did with Sancho/Varane and wait for the right option to be available than sign an expensive square peg in a round hole

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I dunno about that. Inter have just raked in €115 million, Arsenal have already spend 85 million, Atletico reportedly offered Messi a contract and Dortmund are surely sitting on a lot of cash as well.

Lingard & co aren't suited for the the absolute top teams anyway, so we should be looking at clubs a tier below who've got some € to spare. The likes of Monaco, Lyon, Dortmund, Sevilla, etc. Or clubs like Leicester, who always spend once they've sold someone (provided they sell Maddison).

Andrew7582

Risky but understandable move calling it a day with signings. Would have loved a RB and DM but £30m for a soon to be 31yr old Trippier much as I rate him is immoral and looking at the midfield options bar Camavinga(who doesn't want to be at Utd) none of them make sense at all as sitting DMs for Bruno/Pogba
Saul- Not a DM and a risky buy looking at his kidney problems and form since 2018
Neves- Good on the ball but not so good at defending as a lone DM needs another defense minded CM next to him
Rice, Tchouameni(if Chelsea don't buy him now), Bissouma and possibly Ndidi will all be available next year rather we do what we did with Sancho/Varane and wait for the right option to be available than sign an expensive square peg in a round hole
Failing to fix the DM situation now just pushes the problem down the road and gives us more to do next summer. The midfield situation next summer could be a bit of a mess if we don't do something now. Pogba and Matic likely both leaving, and VDB could continue to struggle and will want out if he can't establish himself again. That would leave us extremely short in midfield and one signing won't be enough at that point.

RkkMan

Failing to fix the DM situation now just pushes the problem down the road and gives us more to do next summer. The midfield situation next summer could be a bit of a mess if we don't do something now. Pogba and Matic likely both leaving, and VDB could continue to struggle and will want out if he can't establish himself again. That would leave us extremely short in midfield and one signing won't be enough at that point.
If Pogba leaves then yes(and by then the club will have had a year to sow the seeds) but if he signs a new deal which isn't out of question then we'd need just one. Hannibal and Shoretire will be in the first team soon, Bruno/Scott aren't going anywhere
And yes I'd also love us to fix the DM position now but we shouldn't just buy for the sake of it or you'll end up having more misfits like Donny. The patient approach is something that's served us well under Ole and misfits for signings is what put us in the mess he inherited which we're trying to avoid
The DM options on the market now simply don't make sense and the ones that do are too expensive or not for sale this year. The best poison we can pick is doing what we did with Sancho and wait till the right options are available. In the short term it may be annoying but the long term benefits outweigh it as you get someone GUARANTEED to improve the team
The presence of Maguire/Varane will negate the need for us to play with both Fred/Scott and make us play expansively like Liverpool when they signed VVD, immediately improved and got to a CL final despite having Henderson/Can as DMs

Last edited:

Steve 007

I dunno about that. Inter have just raked in €115 million, Arsenal have already spend 85 million, Atletico reportedly offered Messi a contract and Dortmund are surely sitting on a lot of cash as well.

Lingard & co aren't suited for the the absolute top teams anyway, so we should be looking at clubs a tier below who've got some € to spare. The likes of Monaco, Lyon, Dortmund, Sevilla, etc. Or clubs like Leicester, who always spend once they've sold someone (provided they sell Maddison).
Both Dortmund and Inter are selling to clear debts, granted inter must buy to appease fans but they’ll buy cheap, as will Dortmund. Athletico Madrid are looking to sell some players rather than buy. I get the roll on effect but I just can’t see it after this seasons empty stadiums.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
FYI, we're 1 over the max squad size with Varane, so we need to sell 2 players to buy.

Kaos

FYI, we're 1 over the max squad size with Varane, so we need to sell 2 players to buy.
If it came to that then surely we just wouldn't register some of the deadwood? I don't expect the likes of Jones to be registered for anything tbh.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If it came to that then surely we just wouldn't register some of the deadwood? I don't expect the likes of Jones to be registered for anything tbh.
Of course, but I don't think we will though.

laughtersassassin

Really not that great a summer if you take everything into context

1. Last summer was very poor. Didn't properly add to our starting 11.

2. Desperately need a DM as all of our CMs would be more suited to playing with one. Nine of our pairs suit eachother.

3. We honestly had better summers under Ed before. Pogba Ibra Mhki Bailly for one

4. Again terrible at selling again and when compared to our rivals.

TLDR: The two players we signed are great but we need a DM to compete and one of the the 3 really should have been addressed last summer.

Get a DM and sell some deadwood and it's a brilliant summer.

Gopher Brown

Immoral?

croadyman

Despite signing my dream CB I still would only give this window 7/10, do people think we are right to wait it out for the right CDM until next summer maybe January if we are lucky whoever that is of course

Loon

:lol:
It's tough moving some of these players on, but I'm surprised nobody has moved for Lingard.

croadyman

It's tough moving some of these players on, but I'm surprised nobody has moved for Lingard.
The trouble is Judge's contract negotiations have been shocking and put us in an impossible situation

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Very few clubs are in a position to buy, we’re lucky we were able to sign anyone. We’ll have to give someone like Pereira away.

Alemar

do people think we are right to wait it out for the right CDM until next summer maybe January if we are lucky whoever that is of course
But who is this right CDM? We need someone in the mould of de Jong or Casemiro

Alemar

Yeah we should be looking to exploit the Barca financial situation like PSG have done with Messi
And especially given now, when there is no Messi any longer, half of their team doesn’t probably want to continue at Barcelona anyway (and would agree to move to a club of our calibre)

croadyman

And especially given now, when there is no Messi any longer, half of their team doesn’t probably want to continue at Barcelona anyway (and would agree to move to a club of our calibre)
Yeah spot on but unfortunately think he is definitely on that untouchable list mind you I thought Messi was as well