Wot, 3 transfers :) but no sales :(

Red00012

I expect no more coming in but expect a few loans out. I don’t think our rubbish players are sellable due to the crazy wages we hand out

croadyman

I expect no more coming in but expect a few loans out. I don’t think our rubbish players are sellable due to the crazy wages we hand out
Yeah absolutely nailed it and unfortunately we have that clown Judge to thank for this situation

Alemar

Yeah spot on but unfortunately think he is definitely on that untouchable list mind you I thought Messi was as well
There are only 2 players at Barca we may be clearly interested in - de Jong and Pedri. Rest we simply don’t need (even if they are cheap)

croadyman

There are only 2 players at Barca we may be clearly interested in - de Jong and Pedri. Rest we simply don’t need (even if they are cheap)
Yeah too true and now they have lost the messiah will definitely put a lock on selling either of them

MUFC OK

The infuriating thing about the lack of sales is we look set to start McFred, James on saturday. None are good enough (imo). Would any of them start for Chelsea, City or Liverpool?

Mata is still here, Pereira is here, Phil Jones is here, Matic is surely past it, Lingard is suddenly an option again.

The infuriating thing is how on earth will Amad, Elanga, Hannibal or any exciting youth players get any game time this season whilst we carry these players in our squad?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
The infuriating thing about the lack of sales is we look set to start McFred, James on saturday. None are good enough (imo). Would any of them start for Chelsea, City or Liverpool?

Mata is still here, Pereira is here, Phil Jones is here, Matic is surely past it, Lingard is suddenly an option again.

The infuriating thing is how on earth will Amad, Elanga, Hannibal or any exciting youth players get any game time this season whilst we carry these players in our squad?
As much as I agree with you, things are better on the bright side; next summer. Matic, Lingard and if I’m not wrong Jones are out of contract next summer. So is Mata actually. So there’ll be loads of space for the young ones to enter the fray soon enough. I expect Garner to join the first team next summer as well.

MUFC OK

As much as I agree with you, things are better on the bright side; next summer. Matic, Lingard and if I’m not wrong Jones are out of contract next summer. So is Mata actually. So there’ll be loads of space for the young ones to enter the fray soon enough. I expect Garner to join the first team next summer as well.
Hmm that feels an eternity away. I wouldn’t put it past us to extend any of those contracts either. I just don’t want to see them playing for the club any more - they’ve shown time and again not to be up to it.

croadyman

If Pogba leaves then yes(and by then the club will have had a year to sow the seeds) but if he signs a new deal which isn't out of question then we'd need just one. Hannibal and Shoretire will be in the first team soon, Bruno/Scott aren't going anywhere
And yes I'd also love us to fix the DM position now but we shouldn't just buy for the sake of it or you'll end up having more misfits like Donny. The patient approach is something that's served us well under Ole and misfits for signings is what put us in the mess he inherited which we're trying to avoid
The DM options on the market now simply don't make sense and the ones that do are too expensive or not for sale this year. The best poison we can pick is doing what we did with Sancho and wait till the right options are available. In the short term it may be annoying but the long term benefits outweigh it as you get someone GUARANTEED to improve the team
The presence of Maguire/Varane will negate the need for us to play with both Fred/Scott and make us play expansively like Liverpool when they signed VVD, immediately improved and got to a CL final despite having Henderson/Can as DMs
Yeah I can understand where you are coming from about the patient approach being the right course of action rather than just signing any midfielder, however just know it's going to feel proper annoying when we drop points this season at crucial times due to not having a midfield good enough to get the win. Certainly looks like Rice is our top target in this position and there is no doubt he has the necessary leadership and positional sense but his seeming inability to break the lines with passes worries me.

buckooo1978

clubs are broke but I expect a few loans

our one expected significant sale was Lingard. With a year left he's worth 20m max given the current situation

any less than that and you have to wonder is it better if he stays..... He's a better option than Dan James based on what we've seen in the last 12 months

really surprised no one had picked Sergio Romero up on a free either

dpansheth

clubs are broke but I expect a few loans

our one expected significant sale was Lingard. With a year left he's worth 20m max given the current situation

any less than that and you have to wonder is it better if he stays..... He's a better option than Dan James based on what we've seen in the last 12 months

really surprised no one had picked Sergio Romero up on a free either
Yeah, Romero was a surprise to me as well. Arsenal could have gone for him

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need both one more addition (midfield) and multiple squad players sold. The latter in particular seems to be something we're pretty poor at getting done. Doesn't help when you hand nice fat wages to pretty much anyone.

edcunited1878

United are trying to build the right way and that's the best way. Build the core and hope that current players improve like Shawberto has, Fred to an extent, Rashford (who can improve another level or two), etc.

United will have to keep on building and improving CM, CF, and jury is still out on GK.

Gradual and consistent squad building, no shortcuts.

DannyDee

As Real Madrid and Barca are experiencing, it's always difficult to sell our players when they are compensated at the level top clubs compensate. That has been driven to extremes during the pandemic.

Noc-Z

ffs
The lack of sales is a big problem. The squad is bloated but I can understand the difficulty in shifting below average players who are on ridiculous salaries. Also I wonder if Ole is too nice or sentimental with some players where he should be a bit more ruthless and tell them they'd be better moving on.

Another issue with the squad size is just our general transfer dealings - the Sancho deal was getting too expensive so we park that and spend roughly 27M combined on Diallo and Pellistri - what was the plan for them? We could have been better just putting the extra money into the Sancho deal and getting him last year. Now we have a massive squad and we still have players like Lingard, Pereira and Jones on our books. We still have Mata occupying the numer 8 shirt - what has he contributed since his last contract renewal?

It's a big problem - we still need improvements but the squad is massive so I could understand a sell to buy approach. I wonder what signings we really could have made if our squad was a better size. I understand the difficulty in selling some of these players, but also I don't think we've done ourselves any favours dishing out big underserved contract renewals.

Andrew7582

If Pogba leaves then yes(and by then the club will have had a year to sow the seeds) but if he signs a new deal which isn't out of question then we'd need just one. Hannibal and Shoretire will be in the first team soon, Bruno/Scott aren't going anywhere
And yes I'd also love us to fix the DM position now but we shouldn't just buy for the sake of it or you'll end up having more misfits like Donny. The patient approach is something that's served us well under Ole and misfits for signings is what put us in the mess he inherited which we're trying to avoid
The DM options on the market now simply don't make sense and the ones that do are too expensive or not for sale this year. The best poison we can pick is doing what we did with Sancho and wait till the right options are available. In the short term it may be annoying but the long term benefits outweigh it as you get someone GUARANTEED to improve the team
The presence of Maguire/Varane will negate the need for us to play with both Fred/Scott and make us play expansively like Liverpool when they signed VVD, immediately improved and got to a CL final despite having Henderson/Can as DMs
Pogba staying is a pretty big if, he looks more likely to leave than stay at this point with PSG offering him big money at the end of his contract. Shoretire isn't a central midfielder and Hannibal will most likely be given minutes higher up the pitch on the wing or at am, or sent out on loan somewhere. He's not going to be ready to play in central midfield for us next year. The club must surely have a list of realistic targets that are not the most obvious and expensive ones like Ndidi, Rice etc.

Abraxas

What's with the random pop at McFred in a sales thread, what is the suggestion? They've been our most consistent midfielders, whether they'd start for City is neither here nor there. They wouldn't, but they're still the best we have so there is absolutely no prospect of them going anywhere until such time as we have rebuilt the midfield completely, if that is indeed the plan.

I think the answer to the latter is if Amad, Elanga etc aren't good enough to displace Pereira, Mata and Lingard then what chance have they got in the long term? I don't buy that the squad size is an obstruction to young players. It's an obstruction to our ability to do further business, most likely. But if they're good enough there is the opportunity to play them and if they're not currently there is also an option to loan them out, that's the manager's job to interpret in terms of training performance and development. There is no excuse regarding squad size, he has the option to jettison players that aren't part of our plans completely, it's down to his ruthlessness and opinion.

MUFC OK

What's with the random pop at McFred in a sales thread, what is the suggestion? They've been our most consistent midfielders, whether they'd start for City is neither here nor there. They wouldn't, but they're still the best we have so there is absolutely no prospect of them going anywhere until such time as we have rebuilt the midfield completely, if that is indeed the plan.
In my opinion it is relevant, if we are aspiring to compete with the likes of City, Chelsea. How are we going to win a league or a CL with those two in holding midfield? It's not possible in my opinion. I think they can be good squad options but as a pairing, playing together, that isnt good enough to win the biggest trophies.

Call me greedy or impatient but after 8 years I want to see us competing now, not in another 2 or 3 years when we've rebuilt the midfield. Even if an Ndidi costs £75m, we could have easily raised the majority of that with sales of players on the fringes of the squad plus, say Fred. You have to be ruthless to win titles.

James35

Guess we announce Varane tomorrow, a bit of an anti climax like Sancho with it taking a long time, was kind of hoping he'd be training today and tomorrow to give him a chance of making the bench v Leeds.

I cannot see anyone buying our players unless we drop the price, I can actually see new contracts instead for the likes of Lingard and the GK keeper is not the best. Still time yet but not a great window so far, just a decent one in my opinion.

Fahad Jawaid

I think we have missed a trick of loaning our useless players like Dalot & Periera to clubs in Italy, where even if the player performs well, all they will offer is loan plus option to buy. We should try loaning players in England where there is money and stupid clubs will play hefty fees for our average players/deadwood.

However, another factor in selling players is, we pay them excessive wages, its difficult for smaller clubs to match their wages hence they are difficult to move on.

Lastly, we need to start selling players when their stock is high, for eg Tuanzebe should have been sold after his spell with Villa, or James after his first season to Leeds and currently this is the time where we would get the most amount for Lingard, we keep him he will be another Jones like player where it would be difficult to get rid of him or he will leave for free. Currently I think with good negotiators we could fetch 15 -20M for him, when the likes of Willock is being sold for 22M Pounds and Ramsdale for 30M or something.

Abraxas

In my opinion it is relevant, if we are aspiring to compete with the likes of City, Chelsea. How are we going to win a league or a CL with those two in holding midfield? It's not possible in my opinion. I think they can be good squad options but as a pairing, playing together, that isnt good enough to win the biggest trophies.

Call me greedy or impatient but after 8 years I want to see us competing now, not in another 2 or 3 years when we've rebuilt the midfield. Even if an Ndidi costs £75m, we could have easily raised the majority of that with sales of players on the fringes of the squad plus, say Fred. You have to be ruthless to win titles.
It's relevant in terms of winning titles but not that relevant to the point in hand which is player sales. We are not going to win the title or even have a decent season by selling the better of our current incumbents either, this is a real football squad and real finances involved so there are certain practicalities.

Not unless decent money is on the table and a replacement incoming. We will get better by trying to shift the worst players in our squad and trying to improve our quality within the starting lineup, and then maybe these players you are so against will be phased out. This is why I don't understand why you start with picking on players that are contributors.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Pretty much everyone in football agreed we were three (more like four; even five) top-class players away from a serious challenge in PL and going deep into CL. My maths isn''t great but I'm pretty sure two is a smaller number than three. yet again, our recruitment has been far from top class. People say we'v spent a lot of money - well, even Norwich have spent more than £50m. At the moment we are on a par with Arsenal...

mad1max954

Sincerely hope we learn from this. Chelsea still managed to get 40 mill for Tammy so there is some money out there. The salaries we pay (to squad l level players) are completely unnecessary. I really do not understand why we do it?!

We also seem to be quite demanding on fees too which doesn’t make any sense when you have players that don’t want to be here and we don’t want. Save the money and get rid

Abraxas

Sincerely hope we learn from this. Chelsea still managed to get 40 mill for Tammy so there is some money out there. The salaries we pay (to squad l level players) are completely unnecessary. I really do not understand why we do it?!

We also seem to be quite demanding on fees too which doesn’t make any sense when you have players that don’t want to be here and we don’t want. Save the money and get rid
I would guess there is money out there if you have a very sellable player. Abraham is probably a textbook example because he's relatively young and is a goalscorer.

We always seem to be trying to sell guys who's currency is extremely low. Non-performers, people who have proved their mediocrity on loan and/or are at their "peak" with no expected improvement.

I honestly think we'd struggle to give away a Pereira in this particular window. Something about the wages needs adjusting, which is not so easy because we pay top money to our better players and then that filters down. Or earlier/better decisions on players.

E-mal

We hold on to players beyond their sell date. This is the perfect window to let Dan James go. He is never going to be good enough even for rotation and we can get 15m for him at the least, so why not sell?
Lingard could go for 10/15m and free up his wages and Pereira can go for 5/10m and also free up his wages.
We could loan out Jones and someone take up his wages for a season, that reduces some burden. It was completely unnecessary to extend Mata, what's the point? He is never going to play.
We are just not smart in doing business.

Abraxas

We hold on to players beyond their sell date. This is the perfect window to let Dan James go. He is never going to be good enough even for rotation and we can get 15m for him at the least, so why not sell?
Lingard could go for 10/15m and free up his wages and Pereira can go for 5/10m and also free up his wages.
We could loan out Jones and someone take up his wages for a season, that reduces some burden. It was completely unnecessary to extend Mata, what's the point? He is never going to play.
We are just not smart in doing business.
I think we'd bite somebody's hand off for Periera at 10 mill. I don't think there is much if any interest unless he is let go for a nominal fee or his wages heavily subsidised. Sometimes we underestimate how undesirable players like this are to the types of club that may be in the market for this level of player. He's done nothing in his career so far yet would walk in and become a high earner, why buy him over a hungry, lower league player?

Maybe Lingard could be let go for that kind of fee but it seems he wasn't particularly interested in going to West Ham. If he doesn't want to and wants to fight for a place there isn't a lot we can do either.

I don't think it's for a want of trying with these guys, it's just not so easy in the real world to get it done.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There will be an avalanche of business in the last week of the window. Let's see where we are at the end. I still think we'll see 3 or 4 going out

Member 101269

Ole is too nice they don’t want to leave. Can we fine jones for being dead wood?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Players who are 25-28'ish would want to play regularily now, i'm sure.... won't they?
If they like to play football and wants to be in the starting 11 in a club, why not accept that you have to get paid less?
They still make a lot more than the average guy.

And they can prove they are good enough for a club that will pay more.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Jones = Free
Pereira = Loan & 10m obligation to buy
Lingard = 20m

Diallo + Williams + Garner = Loan

::sonny::

It’s all incredible, keeping players without any future like Bailly, Jones, Dalot, Pereira, Tuanzebe

If a player doesn’t show any improvement after 2/3 consecutive loans, it’s time to sell him and not to extend the contract waiting an unlikely miracle

Players to sell: Bailly, Jones, Dalot, Pereira, Tuanzebe, Martial, James

Squad players to keep: Matic, Mata

Loaned out: Williams, Chong, Hannibal, Amad, Pellistri, Shortiere, Fish, Hugill, Mcneill

Uncertain: Henderson, Levitt, Garner, Lingard

r0663664

Worships Man City
Players who has no future, we should sell them at a nominal fee or loan them or let them go of free. I think the club should settle with a buy out like NBA, just pay them a % of their salary and let them find another club. They shouldn't be in the club where they can't even get a game. Lingard, Peirera, Jones and Dalot should find themselves a club. I don't think they have any future here.

K stand Red

Why do people think we will be able to offer Jones on Free? Who is going to take a punt on a player who has not played any meaningful run of matches in the last 3-4 years and is likely to come with medical costs plus any wages. It would be like employing a a one legged person in a backside kicking competition

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why do people think we will be able to offer Jones on Free? Who is going to take a punt on a player who has not played any meaningful run of matches in the last 3-4 years and is likely to come with medical costs plus any wages. It would be like employing a a one legged person in a backside kicking competition
None will take him but just to make him available in the market for free is more than enough.