Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Giggsy13

Part of the problem is that we seem to only work on one transfer at a time. So if we are still negotiating a deal for Sancho then we risk missing out on other targets. Koulibaly looks set for city, von de Beek is on Barca’s radar and Gabriel is set for Arsenal despite our alleged late interest. If in 2 weeks we haven’t signed anyone, I’d be concerned about how this transfer window is going to go.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
But, have you followed us since Woodward has been in charge???
Nah I skipped those years clearly ;)

I honestly think people are going way over board as usual. It's August and the window closes October. Nothing about this season or year in fact has worked out how it's supposed to. We will make signings I'm confident on that. They might not be Sancho but we will improve the squad as we always do. We spent £200m during last season alone and had no CL football to help finance it. Our fans are never happy.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Part of the problem is that we seem to only work on one transfer at a time. So if we are still negotiating a deal for Sancho then we risk missing out on other targets. Koulibaly looks set for city, von de Beek is on Barca’s radar and Gabriel is set for Arsenal despite our alleged late interest. If in 2 weeks we haven’t signed anyone, I’d be concerned about how this transfer window is going to go.
None of these have happened any more than Sancho, yet.

Giggsy13

None of these have happened any more than Sancho, yet.
Apart from von de Beek, city have already made a bid for Koulibaly according to reports in Italy and Gabriel was set for Arsenal until we allegedly came in with late interest. The Sancho deal is at an absolute stalemate. How are they even comparable!?

Hoof the ball

I can't make sense of our RW situation. If someone told me in 2009 that eleven years later, Valencia would be the only RW signing made in ELEVEN years, I'd have said that's preposterous. It makes it all the more absurd that Valencia spent almost half that time playing RB!

How in the blue hell can a club this big neglect so vital a position for over a decade?! A fecking decade!! It's a shambles.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Apart from von de Beek, city have already made a bid for Koulibaly according to reports in Italy and Gabriel was set for Arsenal until we allegedly came in with late interest. The Sancho deal is at an absolute stalemate. How are they even comparable!?
Everything everyone else has alleged to have done is 100% accurate and you believe every work of it, anything we may, or may not, have done is all a complete lie and you don't believe a work of it, basically?

Gabriel all wrapped up, is he?

Last edited:

wolvored

Why does everybody panic when we don't buy anybody in the first month of a transfer window under woody? It never happens

M16Red

Nah I skipped those years clearly ;)

I honestly think people are going way over board as usual. It's August and the window closes October. Nothing about this season or year in fact has worked out how it's supposed to. We will make signings I'm confident on that. They might not be Sancho but we will improve the squad as we always do. We spent £200m during last season alone and had no CL football to help finance it. Our fans are never happy.
For me is the quality and price, we are seeing players going left, right and centre. All of our rivals are doing business - and here, we are still banging on about Sancho.

Clubs are looking to fill financial gaps in there costs using assets (players) , yet we are unable to use any of this to our advantage.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
For me is the quality and price, we are seeing players going left, right and centre. All of our rivals are doing business - and here, we are still banging on about Sancho.

Clubs are looking to fill financial gaps in there costs using assets (players) , yet we are unable to use any of this to our advantage.
We have no sellable assests clearly other than Smalling who Roma want for practically nothing. Maybe it's that.

Would you pay good money for Lingard n Pereira? No. That's the issue.

MrSingh2002

Surely in the current climate it wouldn't be a bad idea for cash flow to offload a bunch of our scrap players just to get them off the wage bill?

Smalling and Shaw we could recoup a decent amount for but Jones, Mata etc should be moved on even if just released to finally move on from them.

NJM78

I'd wager we don't sign anyone for the first team until after we have played our first league game in four weeks time, even then I doubt it will be Sancho.

Why anybody has any faith in this club actually buying players to challenge for major honours again when all it is concerned about is revenue and just reaching the CL more often than it does not.

M16Red

We have no sellable assests clearly other than Smalling who Roma want for practically nothing. Maybe it's that.

Would you pay good money for Lingard n Pereira? No. That's the issue.
I'm not talking about our assets as like you said we have none, I'd give them free transfers just to get them off our wage bill that is frankly sad. I do think Lingard with confidence is a different animal, but we need consistency. As for the likes of Jones well... Bye.

If we want to stay in the top four we need a right winger full stop, after that a I'd love a left footed LB and a quick, positional astute DM.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I'm not talking about our assets as like you said we have none, I'd give them free transfers just to get them off our wage bill that is frankly sad. I do think Lingard with confidence is a different animal, but we need consistency. As for the likes of Jones well... Bye.

If we want to stay in the top four we need a right winger full stop, after that a I'd love a left footed LB and a quick, positional astute DM.
The problem is they are contracted players on very large wages. They cannot possibly get a deal like they have at United in most cases, so why would they move. Any free transfer would cost us a significant hit on the balance sheet so is also unlikely to happen. We need to find paying customers.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I can't make sense of our RW situation. If someone told me in 2009 that eleven years later, Valencia would be the only RW signing made in ELEVEN years, I'd have said that's preposterous. It makes it all the more absurd that Valencia spent almost half that time playing RB!

How in the blue hell can a club this big neglect so vital a position for over a decade?! A fecking decade!! It's a shambles.
Didn't we sign Zaha, Di Maria, Memphis, Alexis, Mkhi and Mata to all play there initially? Issue is, they were either rubbish or had to play in different roles.

In regards to next season, this window is firmly shaping up for us to be struggling to break into the top 6 next season. Chelsea are doing great business, Arsenal will improve and not need to bother with playing their first team in Europa, and Spurs won't have the same injuries again.

I feel for Ole, but he's going to find himself in a situation like Jose at the beginning of the 18/19 campaign.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

I'd wager we don't sign anyone for the first team until after we have played our first league game in four weeks time, even then I doubt it will be Sancho.

Why anybody has any faith in this club actually buying players to challenge for major honours again when all it is concerned about is revenue and just reaching the CL more often than it does not.
Then we aren't coming top 4

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Didn't we sign Zaha, Memphis, Alexis, Mkhi and Mata to all play there initially? Issue is, they were either rubbish or had to play in different roles.

In regards to next season, this window is firmly shaping up for us to be struggling to break into the top 6 next season. Chelsea are doing great business, Arsenal will improve and not need to bother with playing their first team in Europa, and Spurs won't have the same injuries again.

I feel for Ole, but he's going to find himself in a situation like Jose at the beginning of the 18/19 campaign.
Memphis and Sanchez were never planned for the right wing at all.
Mhki and Mata were central players who might have nominally started there,but were never right wingers.

Zaha was the only out and out one, and now he's not even that himself!

croadyman

Yeah I could easily see it going past the first game before we make a signing which quite frankly is a shambles

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Memphis and Sanchez were never planned for the right wing at all.
Mhki and Mata were central players who might have nominally started there,but were never right wingers.

Zaha was the only out and out one, and now he's not even that himself!
Memphis and Sanchez were 100% planned for the right wing.

Di Maria too.

We've signed a right winger pretty much every other season over the last 10 years. All but Mata have been some of our worst signings this millennium.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Di Maria too.

We've signed a right winger pretty much every other season over the last 10 years. All but Mata have been some of our worst signings this millennium.
You're just totally wrong.
And even sillierly wrong with Di Maria.

Di Maria played left wing, up front, or in a weird centre mid position - he never played, or was meant to play on the right.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
You're just totally wrong.
And even sillierly wrong with Di Maria.

Di Maria played left wing, up front, or in a weird centre mid position - he never played, or was meant to play on the right.
Go through each of their threads.

The assumption here, at least, was that these players were coming in to fill the gaping hole on the right. Although they all played on the left, all could - and had - played on the right.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Go through each of their threads.

The assumption here, at least, was that these players were coming in to fill the gaping hole on the right. Although they all played on the left, all could - and had - played on the right.
Assumptions from fans don't mean anything.

The fact none of Sanchez, Di Maria or Memphis ever played on the right for us for more than maybe an occasional few mins showed they weren't bought for the right.

Sanchez was especially mad, as we had two of the hottest properties in the countries competing for the left, and he left both out for him!

Womp

idiot
I think we need to sign someone purely to get some positivity back around the club. It's been nothing but negativity since our loss in the Europa, from transfers to a player getting thrown in prison.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Assumptions from fans don't mean anything.

The fact none of Sanchez, Di Maria or Memphis ever played on the right for us for more than maybe an occasional few mins showed they weren't bought for the right.

Sanchez was especially mad, as we had two of the hottest properties in the countries competing for the left, and he left both out for him!
I agree none were "good" right wing signings, but I fully believe our board thought they could play a big part in filling that hole.

Sanchez had played on the right multiple times for Arsenal, as had Di Maria who is primarily listed a RWing on transfermarket.

Womp

idiot
I agree none were "good" right wing signings, but I fully believe our board thought they could play a big part in filling that hole.

Sanchez had played on the right multiple times for Arsenal, as had Di Maria who is primarily listed a RWing on transfermarket.
When we bought ADM he was coming off arguably his best ever season, where he put in a MOTM performance in a CL final playing as a CM.

AshRK

The worst part is come late September they will panic and pay the same amount for the players. Ridiculous people running this club.

Foxbatt

I do not think we are every going to win any PL or CL unless Woodward is sacked.

Lee565

If nothing happens during this window then it means if we dont move forward as a team next season and are back to struggling to get 4th, the fans will excuse ole for another season whilst wasting another season waiting for the club rebuild to be done to see if ole is actually taking us in the right direction, if he isn't then we will end wasting more years going absolutely nowhere.

Womp

idiot
There's literally nothing that can be done. It's so gut wrenching. You love the club but have no option just accepting the inevitable. Apart from a collective effort and media support, no movement the fans can do even fazes these guys. They'll get stick for clearly neglecting a team on the up this summer. They'll release some briefs about us looking to sign a DOF, change the structure etc. and it will be back to square one. It's approaching 10 years since we've won the premier league. Worse than that, for the majority of that time, not only were we shite, but terrible to watch too and the worst part is, they seem completely clueless as to how they can get us competing again.

manutddjw

Di Maria too.

Not true. Remember LvG's master plan was to play with wing backs, call it what you want 3-5-2 or 5-2-1-2 it's irrelevant because neither required wingers which is why he sold Nani and Welbeck. All preseason we used this formation but gave up on it when we got off to such a poor start.

Crashoutcassius

If nothing happens during this window then it means if we dont move forward as a team next season and are back to struggling to get 4th, the fans will excuse ole for another season whilst wasting another season waiting for the club rebuild to be done to see if ole is actually taking us in the right direction, if he isn't then we will end wasting more years going absolutely nowhere.
do you think we should sack ole if woodward cant get any deals done? to save time?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fans have had enough now, they're be riots if this summer goes by without proper investment. Pandemic or not the fact Chelsea have signed Werner, Ziyech and look very likely now to be signing Havertz, Chilwell and Thiago gives them no out

Arsenal and Spurs will both be better, City are signing players, Liverpool are already miles ahead, I really can see things getting very messy very quickly

CM

The lack of activity is a concern.

It might be a quicker turn around than usual this season but the squad is in absolute desperate need of reinforcement. If we don't get anyone in soon teams like Chelsea could end up pulling away from us.

Womp

idiot
The lack of activity is a concern.

It might be a quicker turn around than usual this season but the squad is in absolute desperate need of reinforcement. If we don't get anyone in soon teams like Chelsea could end up pulling away from us.
You'd be hard done finding many who already think Chelsea haven't, currently. They've significantly improved their midfield and attack, with Silva being a very good stop gap for a year or two in defence. People forget, we finished on the same points as them.

CM

You'd be hard done finding many who already think Chelsea haven't, currently. They've significantly improved their midfield and attack, with Silva being a very good stop gap for a year or two in defence. People forget, we finished on the same points as them.
Maybe, I guess a lot hinges on whether or not the Sancho transfer ends up happening. If we don't get that deal done then it's hard to envisage us keeping pace with them.

AshRK

Actually we might be.

All this covid has become even more of a excuse for the board to not spend when it matters. They took 140m from some bank. The fact is theu are taking money at the expense of the club while some still defend them saying but we have spent blah blah. Incompetent people running this business club.

Giggsy13

Everything everyone else has alleged to have done is 100% accurate and you believe every work of it, anything we may, or may not, have done is all a complete lie and you don't believe a work of it, basically?
Anyone with a shred of credibility on the Sancho deal has reported that any deal is far off and no formal bid has been submitted. Anyone with credibility in Germany are going as far as saying the deal is completely off. The recent reports of Joel Glazer not being happy with the numbers of the deal is another wrench in the process. It all could be planted by the club but it certainly isn’t positive news. We aren’t close on Sancho.