Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The fact that we’re 36 hours from deadline day and Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Lingard and Romero are still at the club and our only incoming is VDB, who looks decent but we didn’t need, is absolutely unforgivable.
I still can't wrap my head around how shocking inept this situation is. It is an absolute disaster. Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Everton and even Leeds fecking United have all had better transfer windows than us.

I would say this window is even worse than the Moyes one - because we still had good players/PL winners in the squad back then.

hobbers

We deserve to finish 10th based on this transfer window and our lack of strengthening compared to most of the entire fecking league, forget about just the top four rivals, and that's being kind.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We deserve to finish 10th based on this transfer window and our lack of strengthening compared to most of the entire fecking league, forget about just the top four rivals, and that's being kind.
It would serve them right if that happened, spend tons next summer and still not get CL. Then the sponsors clause kick in.

RedIan

I'm now convinced glaziers/Woodward and co just dont want to spend any money. They are businessmen not football men. The clubs loosing money as no gate receipts or souvenir shop sales etc... They care Only about the balance sheet and little about the team and its success or lack off. conversely us as supporters of the team care about success, winning games and being entertained and really we don't give a hoot about the share price/profit margins.
It was hard enough getting Them to transfers in before covid now it seems its doubly so.

I cant see things changing with this ownership.

Slysi17

We’re so light in the full back areas. If AWB gets injured we’re fecked.

Cant wait to have TFM and Dan James starting down our right side.
Well we are fecked if Luke Shaw gets injured. Not just AWB. Brandon Williams at left back for a significant period scares me.

eire-red

There are no excuses. This is the latest closure of the transfer window, ever. We've had so much time to get our affairs in order, so many months in lockdown to plan our recruitment, and yet here we are once more. Disgraceful.

The worst part is the not knowing. If our finances are in bits, then why are we chasing Sancho for 90m in the last days of the window? If we can't afford him, bring in a couple more along with van de Beek, and get someone on the short term for up front.

Maybe we don't want to stump up 120m for Sancho, but we clearly do have 100m or so to strengthen other areas, so why in gods name have we not moved on to the next best alternative?

Imagine being as terrible at your job as Ed Woodward, and still getting paid millions. It's beyond belief.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It’s insane that our entire transfer window and season could rest on tomorrow’s game. Win, we’re good. Lose, we need reinforcements.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
It's so demoralising watching how we go about transfers. Window after window we show incompetence, lack of planning and just pure naivety.

feck off Glazers/Woodward. Absolute cancers.

DomesticTadpole

It’s insane that our entire transfer window and season could rest on tomorrow’s game. Win, we’re good. Lose, we need reinforcements.
If we win they'll likely think we don't need any players. We need players whatever the scenario tomorrow. The planning has been amateur at best.

CM

We deserve everything we have coming to us this season. Back in the Champions League and there's no ambition to even preserve that status never mind close a gap to City or Liverpool.

DomesticTadpole

We deserve everything we have coming to us this season. Back in the Champions League and there's no ambition to even preserve that status never mind close a gap to City or Liverpool.
Don't worry if this season goes wrong it will be transfer delight next summer, if not transfer panic in January.

Matt6677

Cant get my head around this craziness about Sancho.

Hardly someone that we desperately need. It will actually hinder the progress of Greenwood if we sign him.

The problem is at the back

We really need 2 world feckin class CBs

Let's just admit it was a mistake signing Maguire and sell him

Rather do that than play him just because we paid 80 feckin million for him!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So in two days we need to close up deals with Telles, Cavani and Dembele/Sancho. Yeah, that will happen:rolleyes:

Toad

Couldn’t give a shit if we don’t sign Cavani based on his age let alone stupid wages.
Couldn’t give a shit if we don’t sign Dembele because of his injury record and that he isn’t the player he was at Dortmund.
Couldn’t give a shit if we don’t sign Sarr because he is not the quality we need and clearly isn’t first choice.

GameOn

Couldn’t give a shit if we don’t sign Cavani based on his age let alone stupid wages.
Couldn’t give a shit if we don’t sign Dembele because of his injury record and that he isn’t the player he was at Dortmund.
Couldn’t give a shit if we don’t sign Sarr because he is not the quality we need and clearly isn’t first choice.
Well, it's not that I really fancy anyone of those three either, but we're also not getting Sancho and the Telles-deal has stalled, too.

It might be a bit too late to suddenly pull a completely different transfer-target out of the hat.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What I don't understand is, our strategy of not investing doesn't even make any sense from the Glazer's pov. They're shooting themselves in the foot. They still need to invest even if they only care about the top 4 payouts.

We have the first 11 of a top 4 team, but the depth of a relegation battler. With this seasons schedule we'll be lucky to get to Christmas in one piece. Currently we've got no chance. But if we had proper options to rotate, we would actually be in a strong position for top 4.

Smart significant investment now, can all but guarantee CL money for the next few years = content squad, higher % of attracting top talent for less. Or no investment now = repeat last 7 years of being left behind, inevitably lose out on CL places, spend a fortune overpaying for lesser talent etc.

When you add in the shirt sponsorship deal is up next season too, and experts have talked about us moving to a short term deal, because of covid, they sure are picking a fine time to not invest.

Last edited:

Godfather

I'd agree if we were able to get our first choices in which we aren't either. And now we fail to get the second and third ones in too which will leave us, again, with a squad not good enough. Will be an extremely hard battle to get into the top four this season which is quite depressing.

djembatheking

That's how it really feels doesn't it. Just same old same old.
I think a lot of us realise it now and it is sad as we just accept it as the norm as there is nothing we can do really. I mean , Cavani , What is that all about?

Looking like an absolute best case scenario of Cavani, VDB and Telles, with a longshot of Dembele on loan - which would be a pretty uninspiring window tbf even if they somehow all came off.

Toad

Well, it's not that I really fancy anyone of those three either, but we're also not getting Sancho and the Telles-deal has stalled, too.

It might be a bit too late to suddenly pull a completely different transfer-target out of the hat.
Just be stuck with another player for years that people know isn’t up to the standard we want. Maybe I’m too stuck in the past though and this is the the only sort of player we can get.

Red Royal

I hope Old has a plan B for no RW coming in this window. I am expecting the worst and just Cavani and or Telles maybe.

If this happens then we have to change the system... either 3 at the back (but we don't have the wingbacks for that to work) or pack the midfield with a diamond and two of our 3 strikers up front. At least we would have one of Greenwood/Rashford or Martial as a sub option. We have plenty of options in midfield and allows Bruno a truly free role. I would be happy for Ole to use it against Spurs even... as cant see Sancho getting in this window sadly

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Unfortunately the theme of this window became very obvious very early on. Doesn't look like we'd getting Telles who would be a smart signing and at least something. Perisic on loan would be a smart idea but no talk at all there, while Cavani on a free would be idiotic because of fees/wages/age/more pressing need for a RW. We aren't getting anyone. Can't even fecking sell Smalling, who wants to go, we're being offered 18m... guessing we're trying to buy Telles for whatever we sell Smalling for.

Dan_F

It’s all a bit bizarre considering Cavani is a free agent and there’s no need to sign him before the deadline. There’s no chance we put wages for Cavani and Sancho onto the books, so something doesn’t add up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What do you mean win and we're good? The problem of this season isn't a starting 11 when everyone is well rested. Look up the 2 months after the international break, when we get champions league midweek every week and premier league every weekend. That's the problem. Greenwood/Rashford/Martial/Shaw/Wan Bissaka will never be rotated and have no cover on the bench. We're going to get a lot of injuries and that will feck our season, regardless of whatever result we get tomorrow.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Liverpool didn't need much but probably lacked a CM maestro above all else. They get Thiago.

City needed a CB above all else and a replacement for Sane. Got both.

We needed a CB n a RW more than anything else. Who we get? A CM we weren't desperate for and we are going after a left back and Cavani. Says it all.

This football club is finished.