Would Everton going down be the defining story of this season?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Is it any different from Newcastle going down? They bounced back pretty fast and now seem to be in a place that fits their standing in English football.

GazTheLegend

Is it any different from Newcastle going down? They bounced back pretty fast and now seem to be in a place that fits their standing in English football.
And all it took was another state to start washing their oil money there... That's the point football is at now.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's the most likely outcome - I'd add that Villa are doing fine these days too - but it's scary when there's also the possibility you have an experience like Leeds or even Wednesday.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
They did get relegated once again after that too and have been perpetual bottom half since then. Different story now of course.

But you’re right. Newcastle going down might have been a bigger deal back then too given 10 years ago they almost won the title

Brophs

The One and Only
The Everton ownership is a powder keg waiting to happen if they’re relegated. Then again, maybe shifting the current sock puppet might be better in the long run.

Oldyella

Was checking their transfer business, and it's worth noting that they sent away Dele Alli on loan after selling Richarlison and Gordon, and releasing Rondon and Tosun on free transfers.

The only attacking replacements they got were McNeil (top scorer with 5 goals all season) and Maupay (1 goal all season). DCL apparently missed 14 games through injury, and that pretty much dried up all the goals.
Deserve it for the way the club has been ran. Shame for the fans but still..

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's a *much* bigger story than Newcastle going down, I would say. The only other clubs on a level close to Everton, in terms of shock that they went down is certainly Villa (by some distance - a big club all the way through until the mid 90's); Leeds (a huge club that were genuinely once one of the strongest in the country) and Forest, who are a back-to-back European Cup winner, who like Leeds, were once one of the strongest clubs in the country and even ushered in a new age with their purchase of Trevor Francis for a then astonishing amount of £1m.

Everton follow the same suit as the above, being one of the strongest clubs in the country in the 80's robbed of greater glories, which they've suffered from ever since - they should've been one of the biggest benefactors of the media explosion and phenomenal growth we ourselves massively capitalised upon. Their story is mired since the 90's with their steady spiral to becoming just a middling PL club, which in itself was deemed as undignified for Everton, a 9-time winner and 7-time runner-up in the top-flight.

They're a bigger club in terms of perennial standing than any of the others mentioned despite them not being a European Cup winner like Villa or Forest, and that's through what was a rather elite standing in the league throughout the decades - even to this day their total points tally is huge when we consider they've been rubbish for almost 30 years now.

Everton sit 3rd(!) In total points amassed from 1888-89 - 2022-23 above even ourselves(!) Villa are 5th in the same table, by the way, which is why they are more twinned as a shock with Everton than any other club to be relegated.

Everton have been a non-entity in modern day football for a long time, but they are a historical institution and their relegation will be the biggest there's been since United went down for a season in the 70's. In real-time the media aren't giving it much airtime, but if they do get relegated, I'm sure there'll be an outpouring of sentiment and a real display of the historical significance of such an intrinsic institution being relegated.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's a *much* bigger story than Newcastle going down, I would say. The only other clubs on a level close to Everton, in terms of shock that they went down is certainly Villa (by some distance - a big club all the way through until the mid 90's); Leeds (a huge club that were genuinely once one of the strongest in the country) and Forest, who are a back-to-back European Cup winner, who like Leeds, were once one of the strongest clubs in the country and even ushered in a new age with their purchase of Trevor Francis for a then astonishing amount of £1m.

Everton follow the same suit as the above, being one of the strongest clubs in the country in the 80's robbed of greater glories, which they've suffered from ever since - they should've been one of the biggest benefactors of the media explosion and phenomenal growth we ourselves massively capitalised upon. Their story is mired since the 90's with their steady spiral to becoming just a middling PL club, which in itself was deemed as undignified for Everton, a 9-time winner and 7-time runner-up in the top-flight.

They're a bigger club in terms of perennial standing than any of the others mentioned despite them not being a European Cup winner like Villa or Forest, and that's through what was a rather elite standing in the league throughout the decades - even to this day their total points tally is huge when we consider they've been rubbish for almost 30 years now.

Everton sit 3rd(!) In total points amassed from 1888-89 - 2022-23 above even ourselves(!) Villa are 5th in the same table, by the way, which is why they are more twinned as a shock with Everton than any other club to be relegated.

Everton have been a non-entity in modern day football for a long time, but they are a historical institution and their relegation will be the biggest there's been since United went down for a season in the 70's. In real-time the media aren't giving it much airtime, but if they do get relegated, I'm sure there'll be an outpouring of sentiment and a real display of the historical significance of such an intrinsic institution being relegated.
Good post. I would add that it is even more significant because of the issues at the club too. A new stadium on the horizon, huge debts etc. This could be much worse than just a trip down to the Championship.

Scriblerus

It's looking like this thread should be retitled "Will Everton Going Down....", and given that relegation could be followed by financial meltdown, I'd say Yes.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It would be an enormous story, not just because it's Everton but because of all the different narratives attached. Seen a few saying they would bounce straight back up, I'm not so sure about that. Could be a difficult old slog that.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'd worry they'd follow the Southampton track, and dropping to league 1 before coming back, you can see a mass exodus if they go down and if they don't bounce back straight away they could be in real trouble.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It would be an enormous story, not just because it's Everton but because of all the different narratives attached. Seen a few saying they would bounce straight back up, I'm not so sure about that. Could be a difficult old slog that.
It's just as likely we go down again.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'd worry they'd follow the Southampton track, and dropping to league 1 before coming back, you can see a mass exodus if they go down and if they don't bounce back straight away they could be in real trouble.
That would be very funny.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Would the fans still fill the new stadium if you dropped down a level or two? I know some clubs keep big crowds, Newcastle and Leeds spring to mind, but others drop off a cliff.
I don't know if you have been to Liverpool but the city lives and breathes football. I don't have any doubt that the stadium would still be getting people in. As seen with Goodison, it might be full of boos at times but still full.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Good post. I would add that it is even more significant because of the issues at the club too. A new stadium on the horizon, huge debts etc. This could be much worse than just a trip down to the Championship.
Could there be a silver lining, if the price drops enough following a relegation for a more sensible investor or potentially the loser from the United auction to purchase the club and run it better?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As it was, in order:

Top bank was: Liverpool, United, Arsenal.

In behind: Everton, Villa, Spurs

And even then, United we’re propped up by their exploits up until Busby to be held higher than their current success was; might even put us third behind Arsenal pre-Fergie.

Villa are tenuously back, it seems, with only yourselves massively falling from that preset grace you had.

You’ve been shockingly underperforming for such a long time now that a lot of people don’t even know how big you are historically.

We might say what does it matter in the here and now, but for those who knew of Everton, it’ll never not be a shocking spiral. Per your historical standing, you should never be outside the European places as a club, or at least not until state/oil creates a paradigm shift we can never go back from, anyway.

Can’t help but think of your relegation will be torrid, too. Those championship teams will have so much more conviction to beat you - every game will be a cup final. I don’t see you coming straight back up, certainly not unless you sort yourselves out and are run like the giant you’re supposed to be, anyway.

Spaghetti

Mom's
They did get relegated once again after that too and have been perpetual bottom half since then. Different story now of course.

But you’re right. Newcastle going down might have been a bigger deal back then too given 10 years ago they almost won the title
And they were rock bottom and favourites to go down until halfway through last season when the oil money came in.

whitbyviking

I don't know if you have been to Liverpool but the city lives and breathes football. I don't have any doubt that the stadium would still be getting people in. As seen with Goodison, it might be full of boos at times but still full.
Not spent much time in Liverpool at all, no.

My thinking was it's been a very poor run for Everton for a long time, so I was wondering how far the loyalty would extend. Sounds like they will at least be in a position to survive financially though.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It was almost the biggest story of the season - don't think the escape is being talked about enough. It's as if the media were clueless passengers in a car whose driver had dozed off and was drifting into an incoming truck but was woken up by a ringing phone and managed to steer away at the last moment.

Also, congrats @SilentWitness!