Would Fellaini improve under a new manager?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We can all agree that he is not the best midfielder around and that we paid way more money than we should have to attain his services. Yet, i find the whole criticism on him a bit unfair. It's not his fault we payed Everton that kind of money to sign him and it's certainly not fair to say that "he represents everything wrong with the Moyes Era" when the vast majority of our first team players performed under their usual standards this season.

He still can offer many things, no matter who CM joins United during the summer. Fellaini has certain abilities which are non existent in our midfield, right now. He is a strong physical presence in front of the back four, he can close down the opponent with the ball in our half and regain possession in the middle of the pitch. He is also the one and only midfielder we have who can win aerial duels in the midfield, an aspect of the game in which we've been struggling the last couple of years. No other midfielder in the squad can block/intercept these "first" long balls from the keeper or defense towards the forwards, so we often have to drop very deep to defend.

Of course he has to work hard and improve his passing and keep his calm when the going gets tough. But as far as i remember he used to make the right first passes when he was at Everton, either it was a long ball towards a winger who had open space in front of him or a short pass to his nearest teammate to control the tempo. My point is that Fellaini probably knows what the best option is, he just has to work on the quality of his passing and he has to try to keep his concentration for the whole 90 minutes. Under a manager like LvG i believe both these things are possible.

Imagine that if LvG manages to get the best out of him, we could afford to buy two quality midfielders to play in front of him and create a fast, mobile and with excellent off the ball movement midfield. I've read opinions which suggest that LvG will drop him because he doesn't rate players like Fellaini. I don't believe that's true, how much a player can offer is always determined by how his abilities fit in the group of players he plays with. As i said above, while Fellaini won't ever get a 10 minute video on YT with dribbles, superb first touches and Hollywood passes, he can give balance in our midfield through his defensive contribution.

Don't forget that it was LvG who gave Rijkard an anchorman role that revitalized his career in his mid thirties and he also used Guardiola, in his thirties, in a limited (mostly defensive role) at Barcelona. And it was the same LvG who used to start a "dirty" player like van Bommel in each and every game at Bayern. He works with what he's got and tries to instill his philosophy, no matter the formation. He expects his players to follow his orders to the letter but he also adjusts his formation/plan to the players he has. Right now we have two different players for the anchorman/holding midfielder role, Carrick (at 33) and Fellaini. Who knows what his plans are for them. If i could bet on one thing, i'd say that van Gaal wouldn't accept the United job if he believed that the whole squad should be torn down and be rebuilt from scratch. The man said it himself: "My goal is to return Man. United to the first position in the PL immediately".

Having said that, the biggest problem for Fellaini is that he hasn't blended well with the rest of the squad. His body language in the Hull game where Giggs used him in a more advanced role, so that we could take advantage of his aerial ability, showed his frustration. He made himself available for a cross or a pass in the box numerous times, but only Januzaj was trying to pass the ball to him and use him as an option to initiate attacking plays. Even though our first goal came through a header that he won in the box, the rest of the players kept ignoring him. Let's see what will happen when the new manager arrives at Carrington.
You're comparing two of the most intelligent midfielders in football history (Rijkaard and Guardiola) with Fellaini? Seriously? What's next? Should we compare a child scribble with Michelangelo's last Judgement?

Walters_19_MuFc

It doesn't matter how good of a player he is, he will never fit our system more so under van Gaal. He loses the ball too easily when under pressure which makes him a liability in a system which is based on passing the ball low, fast and accurately around the pitch. The ball not leaving the ground is already going against Fellaini's nature as a player.

I want to know where Fellaini would fit in that kind of build up.

10:40 - 10:57 :p

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

You're comparing two of the most intelligent midfielders in football history (Rijkaard and Guardiola) with Fellaini? Seriously? What's next? Should we compare a child scribble with Michelangelo's last Judgement?
No, i'm comparing him to van Bommel and i'm trying to say that only when LvG comes here we'll see who will fit in his plans and who won't. I wrote that it's not safe to presume which one from Carrick/Fellaini will have the advantage to be in the starting xi in his system because he has created midfield pairings with players who do different things on the pitch.

Calm down, you have made it more than clear that you don't like Fellaini. Thank God it's not you, me or any other on this forum who decides who gets to play for the club.

devilish

No, i'm comparing him to van Bommel and i'm trying to say that only when LvG comes here we'll see who will fit in his plans and who won't. I wrote that it's not safe to presume which one from Carrick/Fellaini will have the advantage to be in the starting xi in his system because he has created midfield pairings with players who do different things on the pitch.

Calm down, you have made it more than clear that you don't like Fellaini. Thank God it's not you, me or any other on this forum who decides who gets to play for the club.
Its not about not liking Fellaini but truly, Rijkaard and Guardiola were top quality players and legends to their respective clubs. To put it in United terms its like comparing Keane with Fellaini. Even VB was better then Fellaini

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Its not about not liking Fellaini but truly, Rijkaard and Guardiola were top quality players and legends to their respective clubs. To put it in United terms its like comparing Keane with Fellaini. Even VB was better then Fellaini
I never said Fellaini will become a United legend. I used examples from previous van Gaal sides, maybe i didn't do a good job trying to get the message through. It's nothing personal with you, by the way.

I just kept reading, in the last 5 pages, that LvG will definitely drop Fellaini because he prefers a different kind of DM. I stated that, while this has been the case most times (Rijkard, Guardiola), when he found a different DM at Bayern Munich (van Bommel) he built the midfield around him, won the double and made it to the CL final. The Dutch national team used the same tactics and made it to the World Cup final the same year (2010).

All i'm saying is that we shouldn't right anyone off until we see what van Gaal's plans are for the club. People who think we're going to change 7/11 of our starting xi will really get disappointed during this summer.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think @TheRedDevil'sAdvocate is basically saying that Fellaini could do a similar job to Van Bommel, in the way he sat in front of the back four, broke up play, and distributed it to the players with better ability on the ball.

I personally feel he can do this job, and shown signs of this last season, more notably against Sociedad and Everton.

devilish

I never said Fellaini will become a United legend. I used examples from previous van Gaal sides, maybe i didn't do a good job trying to get the message through. It's nothing personal with you, by the way.

I just kept reading, in the last 5 pages, that LvG will definitely drop Fellaini because he prefers a different kind of DM. I stated that, while this has been the case most times (Rijkard, Guardiola), when he found a different DM at Bayern Munich (van Bommel) he built the midfield around him, won the double and made it to the CL final. The Dutch national team used the same tactics and made it to the World Cup final the same year (2010).

All i'm saying is that we shouldn't right anyone off until we see what van Gaal's plans are for the club. People who think we're going to change 7/11 of our starting xi will really get disappointed during this summer.
Look forget about the argument in place.

I argued with you because you've placed two of my favorite non United players ever with the typical long ball merchant Fellaini is.

To conclude, building the midfield around Fellaini sound really bad on multiple levels. Fellaini can either adapt to VG system and prove useful or else he can feck off to the mid EPL table clubs he belongs to.

I apologize if I am sounding like an arse. I am just tired of months discussing on how we can make our 27m rated parody look useful. Players should adapt to the United way and not vice versa.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course he can improve, I refuse to believe that the very average Fellaini we've seen so far is his best possible form. I wouldn't expect to become a world class midfielder but there is a middle ground to be found for him. He can become a much better and more efficient player for us.

devilish

I think @TheRedDevil'sAdvocate is basically saying that Fellaini could do a similar job to Van Bommel, in the way he sat in front of the back four, broke up play, and distributed it to the players with better ability on the ball.

I personally feel he can do this job, and shown signs of this last season, more notably against Sociedad and Everton.
So we spent 27m on a less effective, less hardworking, with less positional sense, tackling ability, strength, pace and brains then Gattuso?

Honestly there are times when you simply has to admit that the experiment has failed and you have to cut the losses. We did that with Veron (who was much better then Fellaini). We should do the same with Moyes protegee. The guy is suited for long ball football. He should really focus on that.

devilish

Of course he can improve, I refuse to believe that the very average Fellaini we've seen so far is his best possible form. I wouldn't expect to become a world class midfielder but there is a middle ground to be found for him. He can become a much better and more efficient player for us.
The problem is that his best football came as a no 10. He was effective in that role because he was big, strong and good in air. I was never impressed by Afro man as a CM with Everton.

kouroux

The problem is that his best football came as a no 10. He was effective in that role because he was big, strong and good in air. I was never impressed by Afro man as a CM with Everton.
I agree but as a CM for Everton he was a lot better than anything he's showed at Utd. Obviously it could be a case of him being out of depth and not suited for this level but I think there is a way of improvement for him.

devilish

I agree but as a CM for Everton he was a lot better than anything he's showed at Utd. Obviously it could be a case of him being out of depth and not suited for this level but I think there is a way of improvement for him.
At Everton many United 'squad players' turned much better then anything they showed at United. Howard, Gibson, Gary Neville's brother.

He may improve under VG but I am not expecting miracles and this talk of building the midfield around him and 'fitting him in' is slowly but surely getting on my nerves.

kouroux

At Everton many United 'squad players' turned much better then anything they showed at United. Howard, Gibson, Gary Neville's brother.

He may improve under VG but I am not expecting miracles and this talk of building the midfield around him and 'fitting him in' is slowly but surely getting on my nerves.
This is basically what I said too. Howard was too inexperienced at the time and did come directly from the States, Gibson was always harshly criticized when he was here.

devilish

This is basically what I said too. Howard was too inexperienced at the time and did come directly from the States, Gibson was always harshly criticized when he was here.
Both players were a bit cack at United and performed much better at Everton.

I guess its time we admit that there's a reasonable gap between us and the blues. Just because a player may do well there that doesn't necessary mean that he's United level.

Walters_19_MuFc

So we spent 27m on a less effective, less hardworking, with less positional sense, tackling ability, strength, pace and brains then Gattuso?

Honestly there are times when you simply has to admit that the experiment has failed and you have to cut the losses. We did that with Veron (who was much better then Fellaini). We should do the same with Moyes protegee. The guy is suited for long ball football. He should really focus on that.
Why are you still dwelling on the price tag, though? We all know Fellaini was overpriced, but what good is it dwelling on? Fellaini didn't buy himself for 27M, we did.

If Fellaini was to find some good form under Van Gaal next season and did a good job sitting in front of the back four, would you be still unhappy?

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Fellaini hasn't done himself anywhere near justice since he joined you lot and although he may never be good enough for what you want from a Man United midfielder he is a much better player than he has shown so far.

devilish

Why are you still dwelling on the price tag, though? We all know Fellaini was overpriced, but what good is it dwelling on? Fellaini didn't buy himself for 27M, we did.

If Fellaini was to find some good form under Van Gaal next season and did a good job sitting in front of the back four, would you be still unhappy?
As said before. I am sick and tired of seeing us thinking of ways how to fit this incredibly average player into our team. If VG manages to perform a miracle I'll be happy as I support the club. However I'd rather see this dirty player out of OT.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
YES HE CAN

As said before. I am sick and tired of seeing us thinking of ways how to fit this incredibly average player into our team. If VG manages to perform a miracle I'll be happy. However I'd rather see this dirty player out of OT.
What ways? He has played one position mostly apart from the odd time being thrown up forward. Its not like he has been in goal or left back so stop being overly dramatic. LvG may get the best out of Fellaini and you lot will have to eat your words

devilish

YES HE CAN

What ways? He has played one position mostly apart from the odd time being thrown up forward. Its not like he has been in goal or left back so stop being overly dramatic. LvG may get the best out of Fellaini and you lot will have to eat your words
We're still waiting...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Both players were a bit cack at United and performed much better at Everton.

I guess its time we admit that there's a reasonable gap between us and the blues. Just because a player may do well there that doesn't necessary mean that he's United level.
Heh, it should be - a bit of a gap, I mean. But this season that particular argument doesn't look too solid. Most of the team looked like there wasn't much of a gap at all - and the table reflects it. Fellaini came to United at the worst possible time, as it now has turned out, and his debut season was injury ridden on top of that.

Not that this will matter if you've decided he's a bit shite. But there are legitimate mitigating circumstances here nevertheless.

devilish

LvG hasn't coached yet. Moyes is at fault for Fellaini's horrible first year. Any rational people would give a player two good seasons to prove themselves. This lad was abused as soon as he was bought.
To be fair no one knows him more then the Chosen one right?

devilish

Heh, it should be - a bit of a gap, I mean. But this season that particular argument doesn't look too solid. Most of the team looked like there wasn't much of a gap at all - and the table reflects it. Fellaini came to United at the worst possible time, as it now has turned out, and his debut season was injury ridden on top of that.

Not that this will matter if you've decided he's a bit shite. But there are legitimate mitigating circumstances here nevertheless.
As I said I wouldn't mind if Fellaini ends up looking useful at United. We all want the good for the team. However I much doubt it. His style of game goes completely against what top modern football demand. Also his best football came as a number 10. That's a position we are well stocked for.

devilish

Yeah and the chosen one put him in def mid after a few years of him playing in the hole at Everton. Just like everything else at Man Utd the chosen one didnt know how to handle him..which was endemic of the whole situation
So you think that Fellaini will get his chance as no 10 at United?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Look forget about the argument in place.

I argued with you because you've placed two of my favorite non United players ever with the typical long ball merchant Fellaini is.
This gets repeated all over the place and is such lazy thinking. It simply falls into the trap of seeing a big guy and immediately sticking the long ball label on him. Its not actually true of him.

devilish

This gets repeated all over the place and is such lazy thinking. It simply falls into the trap of seeing a big guy and immediately sticking the long ball label on him. Its not actually true of him.
I usually agree but unfortunately in this case it is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As I said I wouldn't mind if Fellaini ends up looking useful at United. We all want the good for the team. However I much doubt it. His style of game goes completely against what top modern football demand. Also his best football came as a number 10. That's a position we are well stocked for.
He is obviously perfectly useless for us considered as a No 10 - that isn't even debatable. But speaking of debate, you're making it very easy on yourself when you insist that this is the role he should be considered for, if considered at all - because he simply is too poor as an actual central midfielder.

The latter isn't obvious at all if we're considering him as a squad player.

He wasn't purchased primarily as an option in the No 10 role - Moyes wasn't a complete idiot. He intended to use him in a deeper role - as he had indeed used him at Everton before his stint as a No 10 (of sorts).

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I usually agree but unfortunately in this case it is.
No unfortunately you are wrong. Here is why Fellaini gets so much abuse when in fact he performed just as badly this season as other players supporters seemed to like.

He wasnt Fabregas or Thiago
He is tall and has stupid hair
He played for Everton

Take all that out and you have a decent player who doesnt deserve the abuse he gets.

devilish

He is obviously perfectly useless for us considered as a No 10 - that isn't even debatable. But speaking of debate, you're making it very easy on yourself when you insist that this is the role he should be considered for, if considered at all - because he simply is too poor as an actual central midfielder.

The latter isn't obvious at all if we're considering him as a squad player.

He wasn't purchased primarily as an option in the No 10 role - Moyes wasn't a complete idiot. He intended to use him in a deeper role - as he had indeed used him at Everton before his stint as a No 10 (of sorts).
Actually I think Moyes was top notch with Fellaini. He wasn't exactly setting Everton on fire as CM and he therefore moved him as no 10 were he played the best football in his EPL career. Unfortunately he's nowhere near to the quality we need in CM and we're already well stocked with (quality) no 10s at OT. Not to forget that we dont play the type of football which players like Fellaini strive in.

Adebesi

No unfortunately you are wrong. Here is why Fellaini gets so much abuse when in fact he performed just as badly this season as other players supporters seemed to like.

He wasnt Fabregas or Thiago
He is tall and has stupid hair
He played for Everton

Take all that out and you have a decent player who doesnt deserve the abuse he gets.
His hair isnt stupid. Its distinct.

But I agree with the rest of what you said. I think its the third one in particular.

And I would add: we overpaid. We had a chronic case of buyer's remorse.