Would we ever avenge the 7-0 in our lifetime?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We did lose 1-6 to City when Fergie was still in charge. I didn't remember a really "strong" response in the following match, though.
Not exactly in the next game, but we did give a strong response. Won eight and drew one of the following fixtures. Not by playing well, we were going through a rough patch and the 6-1 had really rattled the team's confidence. The first four wins in that run were 1-0 battles and they could have been five in a row, if not for the Newcastle game at OT. Which is the point, really. Before you avenge anything, you need to know you have the steel to keep going strong. The most important "answers" are the ones we give to ourselves.

Superunknown

All I'm seeing in this thread are various comments which shows how desensitised we have become to losing. Not only losing, but getting absolutely pummeled. Losing 7-0, 0-5, 6-3, 1-6 (they sound like scores you'd find in tennis ffs) is just not acceptable at this level, especially in the Premier League and even more so when it's against rival teams. They're embarrassing results and shouldn't be normalised.

You can say we had the better season or we finished higher or with more trophies, etc. Doesn't make those results any less shit. You can finish higher and win trophies and not get battered by your rivals.

Dannn411

All I'm seeing in this thread are various comments which shows how desensitised we have become to losing. Not only losing, but getting absolutely pummeled. Losing 7-0, 0-5, 6-3, 1-6 (they sound like scores you'd find in tennis ffs) is just not acceptable at this level, especially in the Premier League and even more so when it's against rival teams. They're embarrassing results and shouldn't be normalised.

You can say we had the better season or we finished higher or with more trophies, etc. Doesn't make those results any less shit. You can finish higher and win trophies and not get battered by your rivals.
Of course everyone is pissed off at getting hammered by the teams we're supposed to be competing with but what do you want us to do? Just have to move on and hope it never happens again. But I can guarantee you that if it happens again, Ten Hag and the team will hear it big time from the fans because it became a bit of a regularity under him last season.

Skills

Snitch

The Manchester United fanbase is one of the key reasons for the decline of the club. We're a huge club who have somehow inherited the fanbase of midtable club.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I try to forget the last few years fixtures against Liverpool. Pure vomit. Actually regret logging onto the caf to find this thread waiting. I enjoy football a lot more pretending this never happened
But your username is literally the scoreline.

mintyred

I might be weird for saying this but I don't really care. Obsessing over 1 defeat, albeit a bad one is a bit sad. I'd much rather we beat them by being a successful club again. Football moves on fast, and this defeat probably doesn't hurt that much to me because we've been so bad recently. Getting battered when you're good is devastating.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Defend like we are doing and there's a chance it happens again.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Does anyone care? Both teams were also rans in the league. Freak result. No impact anywhere.

Redfrog

We won’t, so no need to lose sleep about that.

Maybe United will one day.

Drizzle

I'd much rather we beat them by being a successful club again.
Exactly. One result stings badly. But it's like a stubbed toe - nasty, but it fades quickly.

If we start winning pots again, that's the sort of pain that lasts.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t care. Would rather see us win the league or champions league. Some fans basically more obsessed with getting one over rivals than actually seeing us win games and trophies.

Red00012

Why are we bringing this up again let it die

close the thread

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with most takes in this thread, I don't care and kind of forgot about it. These kind of things sting when it happens but it's not that important.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bunch of gloomy doomwankers wanking themselves over something in the past, trying to make it more doom and gloom than it actually is so they can continue doomwanking.

"Oh no, we didn't lose like I expected us to after the first five minutes yesterday so I'll find something else to moan about. Pass the tissues."

ThatGreyKit

Well avenging it would mean getting the same score or better against them, so no I don't think that will happen.

But I would take a dodgy 94th minute penalty 1-0 win in a cup final. Because that would bother them far longer than a meaningless 3 points in the league.

RedOrange

This is a strange concept. United won the other match, finished 2 spots ahead, qualified for CL and won a cup. Liverpool finished out of the CL spots and won nothing. The extra goal differential was meaningless.

If anything their 2-1 loss to United in August was far worse for them than the 7-0 was for us. If they had drawn or won that they would have had a chance at 4th in the last match week, and our season would likely have been derailed utterly, losing 3 matches in a row to start.

PSV

It's just a result. If it matters beyond the week it happened to you it's probably time for some fresh air.

Would take seven 1-0 victories over a 7-0 "revenge".

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
The way people go on about top 4 when we’ll be knocked out in the 1/4s at best is a bit embarrassing to be honest, they thumped us 7-0, it’ll still be talked about in 10/20 years, it’s in the top 5 worst days I’ve had following us, I’d take us beating them 7-0 over finishing top 4 every time, we came 3rd, and won’t win the CL, who cares,

Ricardo de la Vega

Exactly. One result stings badly. But it's like a stubbed toe - nasty, but it fades quickly.

If we start winning pots again, that's the sort of pain that lasts.
Yeah I don't really care fans used to give it that five past schmeichel joke for years but we had the last laugh winning everything so I never minded it. Now it's more difficult to take because we don't really win either.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

It wasn't a 7-0 game. xG had it about 2-3:1 based on the chances. Freak result. Our xG against Chelsea in the 4-1 at the end of last year would have extrapolated out to something like 11-0 if we had the same pure luck Liverpool had with fluke shots in that game. I doubt anyone will talk about us dishing out that absolute 11-0 equivalent mauling to Chelsea in the future.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The way people go on about top 4 when we’ll be knocked out in the 1/4s at best is a bit embarrassing to be honest, they thumped us 7-0, it’ll still be talked about in 10/20 years, it’s in the top 5 worst days I’ve had following us, I’d take us beating them 7-0 over finishing top 4 every time, we came 3rd, and won’t win the CL, who cares,
Hahah bloody hell get a grip.

RedChisel

The Manchester United fanbase is one of the key reasons for the decline of the club. We're a huge club who have somehow inherited the fanbase of midtable club.
What would you like fans to do. Still be crying and wallowing in depression about it? It's football get over it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We “avenged” it by finishing above them. It was a one off game.

Moriarty

It wasn't a 7-0 game. xG had it about 2-3:1 based on the chances. Freak result. Our xG against Chelsea in the 4-1 at the end of last year would have extrapolated out to something like 11-0 if we had the same pure luck Liverpool had with fluke shots in that game. I doubt anyone will talk about us dishing out that absolute 11-0 equivalent mauling to Chelsea in the future.
Sorry but does that mean Liverpool didn't beat us 7-0?

Aboutreika18

The result itself isn't that big a deal as freak results like this can happen, like us spanking Arsenal 8-2.

I think the bigger issue is how consistently Liverpool seem to thrash us (4-0 and 5-0 in the season before) while even our best performances against them results in us barely squeaking out results. Even Juanfield, probably our best performance at Anfield in my lifetime, only finished 2-1 to us.

predator

Youth NITK
Literally couldn't care less. Liverpool and ourselves are too big to actually dwell on a single game. I've never even heard a Liverpool fan mention it to be honest.

Strange thread.

colombianmancunian

Seeing Barcelona haven’t avenged being continually destroyed by Bayern, or Arsenal having not avenged the 8-2 against us, I just don’t see us destroying Liverpool… although crazier stuff has happened.

eire-red

I can't ever see us beating them 7-0 at OT. It's crazy to think we've already forgotten about avenging the 5-0 thumping at OT the previous season because of the 7-0 last season.

Will Liverpool ever avenge 3 decades of complete domination under SAF? Watching helplessly as we surpassed their record titles, won the treble, won numerous FA cups and league cups?

Forget singular games, that's how you avenge it again, by becoming the best once more, by surpassing every title and cup record they hold. Sitting on the top of the tree in every category, that's how you avenge it.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
We’ve not tonked them in my lifetime so far, and I doubt we ever will. They never seem to have a bad game against us. The closest we got was when we went 3-0 up against them. Only for cloughy and razor to pull it all back.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It didn’t impact anything other than who finished 4th and 5th*, so doesn’t particularly mean anything in the wider context. If we’d won the league later that season (like with the Newcastle 5-0 in 1996) then it would’ve already been avenged. You don’t mind losing a battle if you win the war.

Trophies are what matter, that’s where the real bragging rights are. We just need to get back winning them again.

*even then, not really. We lost 7-0 and still finished ahead of them.

Last edited: