Would we ever avenge the 7-0 in our lifetime?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This and winning the league game will just be *chef’s kiss*

Andy_Cole

120th goal is so fecking sweet. Yeh we didn’t embarrass them like the 7-0 to us but we’ve probably upset them and rained on the feckin Klopp farewell tour. They will be in pain after that.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Very happy with the win today, but it doesn't come close to avenging this ridiculous result, sadly.
7-0 you know you've lost the game at 3-0, they know they've won it, beating them when they think they've won it is even better, it hurts way more to lose to a last minute goal in a cup game than it does to be thrashed in a mid-season league game

FujiVice

When even Jurgen Klopp admits it was a case of them hitting every shot they had on target and not the performance of a 7-0 team, I think we can mark it down as a freak result that.

Oscar Bonavena

Think of it this way, do you think when Amad's shot rolled gloriously in off the post, in that moment any Liverpool fan gave a shit about the 7-0 result from a year ago?!

eire-red

Don't think it's likely we'll ever avenge the 7-0 from a pure scoreline perspective anyway. That was one of those freak results.

This goes some of the way. I think beating Liverpool in a Cup Final / title race will be the only true way to avenge it.

lex talionis

Our noble victory was sweet revenge. Drink your wine, make love to your woman (or man, whatever), and hold your high that on the day we celebrated St. Patrick’s we happy few we defeated the oh so precious media darlings of Liverpool.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We will never avenge the 7-0. It was a complete freak result. But we will rise again in our lifetimes and give them plenty of beatings

Grande

What would you chose - win 2-1 home, lose 0-7 away, draw 0-0 away, win 4-3 in overtime of extra time to go to Wembley … or the other way around?

I’d take our lot over Liverpool’s any day in thes last two season’s derbies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our loss didn't really affect our League position. This win is crushing their hope on winning FA Cup. Then when the SF opponent is Coventry, this win makes it even sweeter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously it’s illogical to feel so as thumping your rivals is a sign of immense superiority but close wins are far more epic and hence more meaningful in the long run. We once beat Liverpool 4-0 at home but I remember feck all about that day. The last minute winners and tight matches are the ones that I truly cherish.

Last night was probably the most special game against Liverpool I can remember even if there are others which eventually led to title wins. To cap it off, a mediocre Manchester United actually raised their level and played superbly.

brian017

I think if we somehow back this result up with another one in 3 weeks and they don’t win the league we would’ve avenged it. While the 7-0 was hugely embarrassing, ultimately it didn’t cost us much bar our pride. We still finished 3rd with a trophy while they missed out on the CL and finished trophyless.

Liverpool fan’s mightn’t agree but I’d rather lose 7-0 to a rival that it turned out didn’t really affect anything and win 2 games against them in quick succession to cost them 2 separate trophies

Nickelodeon

We don't have the quality to beat them by any major margin. But 4-3 in a cup tie with a 120th minute winner is probably the next best thing.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
7-0 when they lost to Bournemouth the following week and ended up 5th with us comfortably above them in the end. It’s a meaningless result. The results that actually mean something are our 2-1 win over them from 1999, the 4-0 from 2003, 1-0 win at Anfield in 2007 which propelled us on to great success. If we win the cup this year then that amazing tie yesterday also.

evil_geko

Are people still not aware that 7:0 is most undeserving freak result I have seen in my life? When everything goes lucky for one team while the opposite happens for the other, that doesn't happen often. I couldn't care less about avenging that result. Give me last minute winner any time over that.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are people still not aware that 7:0 is most undeserving freak result I have seen in my life? When everything goes lucky for one team while the opposite happens for the other, that doesn't happen often. I couldn't care less about avenging that result. Give me last minute winner any time over that.
Yup. It was an even game where they started putting every shot in the back of the net. Freak match and honestly I’ve stopped caring already. People put too much emphasis on these results. It’s the close ones or the final losses (Barcelona) or bad decisions (nani red) that actually hurt.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Obviously it’s illogical to feel so as thumping your rivals is a sign of immense superiority but close wins are far more epic and hence more meaningful in the long run. We once beat Liverpool 4-0 at home but I remember feck all about that day. The last minute winners and tight matches are the ones that I truly cherish.

Last night was probably the most special game against Liverpool I can remember even if there are others which eventually led to title wins. To cap it off, a mediocre Manchester United actually raised their level and played superbly.
True. Just the nature of the win makes it more satisfying. We fought like a wounded lion against 12 men.

Passitlikescholes

If we were to do something like Pallister's 2 headers at Anfield to win the title at Anfield, avenge the 7-0 loss?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

We've had a lot of special wins against the scouse.

Two late Ole and Yorke goals in the treble season I think to knock them out of the fa cup after Owen put them up early.

The Berba Hattrick game

The last minute oshea winner at anfield

The Forlan game

Juanfield

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

Two late Ole and Yorke goals in the treble season I think to knock them out of the fa cup after Owen put them up early.

The Berba Hattrick game

The Forlan game

Juanfield
The 99 FA Cup tie.
The 96 FA Cup final.
The 85 FA Cup semis , draw & replay.
The 79 FA Cup semi replay.
The 77 Scouse treble busting FA Cup final.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

The Berba Hattrick game

The Forlan game

Juanfield
Berba hattrick actually pissed me off at the time because it was Hodgson's Liverpool, the worst Liverpool any of us have ever seen, and we let them come back from 2-0 down and needed a late winner to beat them. We should have absolutely pissed all over them.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
A very interesting metric would be finding out how many Liverpool fans would happily change the 7-0 to 1-0 if they could have won 4-3 at OT on Sunday in the same fashion that we did.

Be very surprised if many scousers would keep the 7-0

Robertd0803

Think of it this way, do you think when Amad's shot rolled gloriously in off the post, in that moment any Liverpool fan gave a shit about the 7-0 result from a year ago?!
One of them tried to have a go at me at full time by bringing that game up, I laughed in his face and said that was last year and typical Liverpool fan living in the past, everyone else laughed and he went back to sulking :lol::lol:

Chumpsbechumps

It’s funny cause I think about this in a similar way to the 1999 treble versus citys. I wouldn’t swap ours even if city had done the quadruple.

We weren’t the clearly best team in Europe with the biggest spending , resources and inevitable victors. Even in the league we only work on the final day.

In CL groups we squeezed out with 4 draws and a savage group. Each round we really could have lost but our relentless attacking and never give up attitude pushed us through games. That’s not even talking about the fa cup games against pool and arsenal.

Citys treble was expected and nothing special. I dare say few remember many games from it. Most of my mates can quiet moments in uniteds treble winning season even if they aren’t United fans.

So I don’t think beating Liverpool 7-0 will be “making up for it”. I value uniteds 2-1 semi final fa cup win over arsenal over the 8-2 league one. In fact , if I really thought about it, I could come up with far more enjoyable and satisfying wins over Arsenal.

The scoreline is not as important as the impact of the result. I don’t actually think about the 7-0 but the 4-3 meant more to Liverpool fans then the effects a 7-0 had on us. You don’t necessarily even the score, you enjoy the payback , this was very nice payback, arguably with change given how we won and the ramifications of the quadruple.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Not sure about avenging it terms of matching a 7-0 which was a freak result anyway but we can feck up their season. The 4-3 is a painful one for the scousers, as most that i know have done a Homer Simpson style disappearing into the hedge act this week. If we can follow up messing up their so called 'quad' with messing up their title challenge in a few weeks this will go a long long way to consigning 7-0 to the freaks of history.

Cessna

A very interesting metric would be finding out how many Liverpool fans would happily change the 7-0 to 1-0 if they could have won 4-3 at OT on Sunday in the same fashion that we did.

Be very surprised if many scousers would keep the 7-0
Would you have switched were it opposite? Keeping in mind that United has been the far more successful team for as long as most of the fans can remember.
Perhaps burying it feels better.

Malons

I don't understand this concept of avenging something. It's a bit like how when we approached the 19th title suddenly everyone was quoting Ferguson's utterance in the early 90s about knocking Liverpool off their perch, as if 20 years of complete dominance hadn't done that until we got the 19th league title. Maybe it's me, but I struggle with fans who are so literal about these things. As if any success we have is irrelevant until we specifically 'avenge' a specific result in a specific match, or the pretence that Liverpool were still on their perch until we reached title number 19 because their league win in 1922 was apparently still very fresh on everyone's mind and we were desperate to 'avenge' it. As if all that success under Ferguson and people were still grumbling into their corn flakes about how meaningless it is because they need to 'avenge' those titles the Scouser's secured under the reign of Edward VII

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Would you have switched were it opposite? Keeping in mind that United has been the far more successful team for as long as most of the fans can remember.
Perhaps burying it feels better.
Yes, I'd switch a 7-0 home win over Liverpool to a 1-0 win in a trophyless season in which we ended also below them in the league, for a 4-3 last minute FA cup win at Anfield. It's not even close IMO

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Freak result, we won't beat them 7-0.

Just get back to beating them consistently, all that matters.

Teja

Roles would have to reverse (Pool back to being mediocre and us back at Fergie like peaks). And then needs a freak result on top. Who knows? It could happen in our lifetime.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Difficult to gauge. 7-0 is 7-0, it's an utter humiliation.

But stopping a possible quadruple, in the manager's last season, after they were ahead twice, pegged back by an 87th minute goal and crushed with a 120th minute winner after they had numerous chances to finish us. That will stick in the throat for a while.

Cessna

Yes, I'd switch a 7-0 home win over Liverpool to a 1-0 win in a trophyless season in which we ended also below them in the league, for a 4-3 last minute FA cup win at Anfield. It's not even close IMO
I believe you. I am not sure I feel the same, though. Which is fine. I am also unsure of how trophyless the season was at that point.

The Oracle

When you have the presenter of one of their fan channels saying the following:

“That has to be the worst and most painful way to lose a football game”

( - at 4 minutes, 40 seconds)

Then it is fair to say that in some Liverpool fans’ minds, they view being on the receiving end of a stoppage time winner at the end of extra time against their rivals, that:
  • knocked them out of the FA Cup
  • denied them another trip to Wembley in their manager’s last season
  • ended their ‘Quadruple’ dream...
...to be worse and more painful than being on the receiving end of the biggest defeat against your rivals, in a season where:
  • we won a trophy and they didn’t
  • we finished above them in the league
  • we qualified for the Champions League and they didn’t
It’s not often I agree with a Liverpool fan, but all things considered, I have to agree that our victory against them on Sunday, was in fact ‘The worst and most painful way’ for them to lose a football game, and it was extra sweet that it was us that did it to them.

Did we ‘Avenge’ the result from last season?

What do you think??!! :devil:

Cessna

Thinking about the factor of humiliation. I don't see how a 4-3 away loss at Old Trafford compares to a 7-0 slaying.

You are absolutely allowed to.