Would we ever avenge the 7-0 in our lifetime?

Sir Erik ten Hag

Our most crushing defeat against Liverpool, ironically, happened in a season when their form was low.

Now that a new season has started and their form seems to have improved again, do we ever have a chance to make amends for that defeat?

Even if we win against them 10 times out of 10 from now, 7-0 is still one record for the history book and can only be amended by a similar victory.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Genuinely forgot it happened until this.

Sometimes we lose to shite clubs by a big margin. Like the MK Dons defeat.

Don’t need to avenge it, it was an anomalous result in a season where Liverpool started their slow decline.

always_hoping

Already did by finishing the league season ahead of them and claimed Champions league football and they didn't. Final league placing always trumps one off/individual results,

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Already did by finishing the league season ahead of them and claimed Champions league football and they didn't. Final league placing always trumps one off/individual results,
Give this one a Wenger trophy(mean, I know). Silly

Martial

It will barely get mentioned now we still finished ahead of them, qualifying for the Champions League, whilst they qualified for the Europa League.

ChenHoNam

You would need a combination of several things.

1) New owner

2) Another 1B (yes 1 Billion) to invest into 22 players. 2 in a position. It is that bad considering the “better” players we already have at disposal now. The current squad I see not a single player that is indispensable.

3) Not sure if ETH would last under new ownership. Middle easterners patience is not their forte. So likely, a new manager is on the horizon.

4) Amongst the above, all things have to click of course.

JB7

I mean we basically won the league in their backyard in 97 so fairs fair.

Devil You Know

I don't even remember it. The match lasted 90 minutes and then I forgot about it straight away. Didn't even watch any highlights or reviews. Why even post this thread? It's an imaginary game as far as I'm concerned.

Sgreddevil

I think it is more important to start winning titles than avenging that. I will rather win a title and get thrash 7-0 than to win both games against them and not winning title

Charlie Foley

I didn’t really watch it because I was extremely hungover from a bar crawl with my wife’s friends. Basically it never really happened

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We have set our standards so low I dont even think it bothers the player so much being humiliated. The fans still cheers for them anyway. They can play half hearted shit zombie football jogging around the park it wont change a thing.

It's not like we get a response the following match like under SAF.

Under SAF we would have responded ferociously you can bet your house the next team facing us after 7-0 would get a spanking. You can be sure there'll be hell in the dressing room

Now... Meh... Just another day in the office.

Barthez

They got 3 points and we finished 3rd with champions league football. The actual result was totally inconsequential

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thanks for reminding me. But I actually don’t care. Would rather the club achieve meaningful things.

Sir Erik ten Hag

We have set our standards so low I dont even think it bothers the player so much being humiliated. The fans still cheers for them anyway. They can play half hearted shit zombie football jogging around the park it wont change a thing.

Under SAF we would have responded ferociously you can bet your house the next team facing us after 7-0 would get a spanking. You can be sure there'll be hell in the dressing room

We did lose 1-6 to City when Fergie was still in charge. I didn't remember a really "strong" response in the following match, though.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If everything goes your way like what actually happened for liverpool on that match it's possible. I mean if 8 shots on Target and 7 went in it's possible for you too but rarely happen though.

Marcus

Our most crushing defeat against Liverpool, ironically, happened in a season when their form was low.
Now that a new season has started and their form seems to have improved again, do we ever have a chance to make amends for that defeat?
Even if we win against them 10 times out of 10 from now, 7-0 is still one record for the history book and can only be amended by a similar victory.
As an individual result, it's hard to see.

Winrar

Not really hung up on this. The week after the 7-0, they lost to the same opponent that they beat 9-0 earlier in the season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Don't really care as long as we finish ahead of them and beat them in cup competitions. At the end of the day, it was just a league game and 3 points dropped. Didn't even affect our CL qualification so that 7-0 basically did feck all but bruise our egos and gave our team a wakeup call.

stw2022

Small time mentality. What matters is getting back to winning trophies, not avenging a specific defeat in a specific way.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who cares, past is past. All that matters is winning trophies.

erikcred

Sadly this is the truth, despite all the philosophical copium in this thread. What's a 7-0 away defeat when we already had a 5-0 home defeat to them?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was a super embarrassing defeat but it was just one defeat. The same 3 points lost only.

Coming 3rd with a trophy and seeing them miss out on top 4 was all that really mattered.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's like when you notice someone's baby is ugly then you don't see it anymore until 3 years later, the baby's grown up and you proceed to tell the parents "wow it really is ugly as I thought".
Why do you need to bring this stuff up?

davidmichael

It was a one off result in which everything they did went right and everything we did went wrong but had zero bearing on the season in reality, we got a Champions League spot and won a trophy whereas they didn’t so I don’t know why it’s still relevant to anyone but them lot as that’s the big thing to come from them last season whereas we actually did better.

SirScholes

Not arsed

just like I’m not arsed about the 8-2 win of arsenal

it happened. We had the better season. Move on

Dannn411

I barely even remember the match now. They won, we lost. We'll probably beat them again and they will beat us too. Such is football.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I try to forget the last few years fixtures against Liverpool. Pure vomit. Actually regret logging onto the caf to find this thread waiting. I enjoy football a lot more pretending this never happened

wolvored

No dont think we will ever beat them 7-0. Even in the Fergie era and they were shit did we come close.
Utd post Fergie has been one wierd run. We have never come close to winning a title or Ch lge.

Oscar Bonavena

If by revenge you mean us beating them 7-0 in our lifetimes? No, that's never gonna happen. 0.000001% chance.

Even when we had some of the best United sides and they had some of their worst, I can't recall us ever giving them a right hiding. 3-0 in was it 07/08 is the biggest I can think of in the 30+ years I've been following United.

pacifictheme

We finished above them. Job done.

Can't imagine being so small time that you need to bang on about one result in your season.