Would you accept 3rd here and now?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Lol yeah, difference being that you came from back to back league and cl victories while we finished last season 6th in the table. But yeah, let's completely disregard the relative positions of the teams the last couple of seasons, and simply content ourselves with stating that United are doing worse than Madrid this year.

Like 18 other teams in the Prem and 17 teams in La Liga – which is as relevant to the point at hand as your comment.
Let's also compare how much we've both spent too then, if you want to be so accurate.

ash_86

Thing is, neither of those outcomes will probably happen. I can see us finishing second or third, quarter final CL exit and no trophy. What happens then?
It's a brain scrachers . Gotta give him one more season i guess

Zlaatan

Parody Account
16 points behind city. You've managed to do even worse than us so far in the league this season. Which is quite admirable tbf.
How are we doing worse? We're 2nd, you're 4th. We're 16 points behind the leaders (after having played more games than you), you're 17 points behind. We had 47 points after 22 games, which is 5 points more than you have. We're also 4 places higher up in the table compared to where we finished last season, you're 3 places lower. You have more goals scored/game though, which I guess is what you're referring to?

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Ask me as a Liverpool fan, I'd say yes, in a shot. We could finish 2nd quite easily, or 6th just as simply. The race for the 3 places between 5 of us will go down to the last game I think. I wouldn't rule Le Arse out completely yet, however unlikely it looks for them and Chelsea, United and Liverpool could potentially not lose another game, or lose another 5 - we're all that unpredictable. For United to stay 2nd will probably come down to how you do against us and Chelsea at OT. Two wins and you should hang on, two defeats and you'll be anxiously checking who's closest to stealing 4th.

It's a shame City are so far ahead cos if you take them out of the equation it'd be one hell of a title race with everyone so close together and none that look like they won't lose to anyone at any time.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
How are we doing worse? We're 2nd, you're 4th. We're 16 points behind the leaders (after having played more games than you), you're 17 points behind. We had 47 points after 22 games, which is 5 points more than you have. We're also 4 places higher up in the table compared to where we finished last season, you're 3 places lower. You have more goals scored/game though, which I guess is what you're referring to?
No, I didn't even know that. Just took a look at our league tables and saw that you guys were 16 points behind, which is worse than us if we win our game in hand of course. The comment was semi tongue in cheek though, because we hear so much about Madrid being horrendous this season. Didn't realise people were so jumpy. Relax all, it's only a few guys kicking a piece of leather on a pitch, it's not the end of the world. :lol:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
No, I didn't even know that. Just took a look at our league tables and saw that you guys were 16 points behind, which is worse than us if we win our game in hand of course. The comment was semi tongue in cheek though, because we hear so much about Madrid being horrendous this season. Didn't realise people were so jumpy. Relax all, it's only a few guys kicking a piece of leather on a pitch, it's not the end of the world. :lol:
Yea you're right I guess my tone wasn't the friendliest, sorry about that. I just went off the rails by the thought of us doing even worse than Real. ;)

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Yea you're right I guess my tone wasn't the friendliest, sorry about that. I just went off the rails by the thought of us doing even worse than Real. ;)
Hehe, no worries, wednesday it'll be your turn to have a laugh at our expense.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Its funny because most of the original replies said no way would they accept 3rd in fact a lot mocked the thread - but now, many are saying they would accept third. This suggests that most people were wrong to reject this hypothetical offer (which I assume would now have expired) and certainly wrong to mock the OP.

PaidMonk

I'd take 4th any day of the week, even back when this thread was started and not only now.

I have no faith in Jose, never had.

Hed Zitin

Team can't defend for a while now, so what are we actually any good at then?

Bite your hand off for fourth. Shows what a poor league this is if we manage it frankly.

melatonin

Man City need to win 6 games to win the league. Their 6th next game is against Man Utd. I'm not looking forward to this

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why would you take 3rd when we have been 2nd for so long? Bizarre.

ZAGREB RED

Probably, would get direct entry to the CL, so second would obviously be better but then at least third would be better than fourth or worse still, finishing outside of the top four.

AlwaysRed66

Man City need to win 6 games to win the league. Their 6th next game is against Man Utd. I'm not looking forward to this
No they don't. That is if their rivals keep place, but if they keep dropping points it could be sooner & might already be won before they play us.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Would only need to win 5, if one of those wins was actually against United, and assuming Liverpool don't win 6 straight on the bounce.

If United lose one more the maximum finish would be 86, so 15 points from 5 games would be enough.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d snap your fecking hand off for fourth right now.

Mourinho is seemingly clueless in knowing how to set the team up to attack at the moment. A top 4 finish is nowhere near a guarantee.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
No, Madrid would not accept 3rd, Barcelona would not accept 3rd, Bayern would not accept 3rd so why should we? If we claim we are the biggest club in the world or one of, we should act like it.

David_azul16

We must aspire to be champions in every competition we play. Now that we all know we are not going to win the PL this season, i'd take the 3rd place and focus to win the FA cup and Champions League (yes, its almost impossible, but we must try)

Greck

If Liverpool finish above us after how much we mocked Klopp and their defense, I'd say it would be time for some serious soul searching

C'est Moi Cantona

Who cares, second or third it's all the same.

So yeah with us looking pretty flat, and vulnerable to teams that are playing better, then I'd take third for sure.

stepic

I’d definutely take 3rd.

The league is over and there’s no difference finishing 2nd and 3rs besides a little bit more money. It would be annoying not finishing 2nd after being in that position for so long, but not as annoying as us possibly falling out of the top 4.

Pragmatism, not idealism

DRM

Yes I would! We're going through a purple patch and I don't think we have the players to get us through this. They certainly have no fight in them bar Sanchez. Liverpool, spurs are easily the better sides right now and it's a matter of time before they overtake us. It's between us and Chelsea for that 4th spot.

Tbh I find this very depressing, just not looking foreward to games anymore. Thank feck it's the FA cup this weekend, some restbite from the league!

PaidMonk

Why would you take 3rd when we have been 2nd for so long? Bizarre.
It's not a matter of 2nd vs 3rd place, it's 3rd right here right now (technically when the thread was started) vs gamble and take your chances and see where the road takes you in May (could be anywhere between 2nd and 6th).

minoo-utd

As the difference between us second and Spurs fifth has downed to only 4 points I would accept finishing fourth with GD.

Murray3007

Certainly not, if we finish 3rd should be serious questions asked of Jose and the players, we have been second for a while now and seem to be doing our best to get down to 3rd.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It would be a disappointment after being 2nd all season but the answer is yes.

RedDevil@84

It wouldn't be nice to be 3rd after being 2nd for so long. But then 2nd or 3rd does not make a world of difference. We still get CL and it is not like we were challenging 1st anyways.